1 2 3 Previous Next 73 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2014 3:47 AM by nuttin2say RSS

Who has the TV answer I'm looking for?

iHattoriHanzo0

I'm in the marketplace for a new TV. After getting a headache of searching for what I'm looking for, I've come here for help. I'm very hesitant to make this decision on my own.

Its my living room TV so there are some requirements. Its for gaming first and foremost but still needs to be rich and beautiful for my movie watching.

*Looking for something around 50-55 inches. So I do believe this knocks the monitors out of contention, correct?

*LED is a must. Sooo tired of my Samsung DLP with the darn bulb and lamp door problems.

*I'ld love a 3-D TV but if that will compromise lag delay for gaming, then that can be thrown out the window.

*At least 2 HDMI ports. Even though the Xbox One may eliminate the need for anything more than 1 eventually.

*Hopefully something under a grand but if all my needs can be met like 3-D and low lag delay then I will go higher.

Any technical entertainment system buffs out there that can lead me in the right direction?

I pass my headache over to you.

Edit: I decided on the Panasonic TC-P55VT60 plasma. Thanks for all the help!

• 1. Re: Who has the TV answer I'm looking for?
    dtuchpunk

a big screen from 50-55 inch has possible more lag than a smaller one.

And when you sit close to your tv you've to scan the whole screen the whole time. A smaller tv that fits your eye sight is maybe better.

For the rest search some different sites read reviews etc.
    I got a 37" tv and sit 2 meters away. And I can see the whole screen. (I can see a movement at the borders)

• 2. Re: Who has the TV answer I'm looking for?
    Foxhound-Pro

dtuchpunk wrote:

a big screen from 50-55 inch has possible more lag than a smaller one.

And when you sit close to your tv you've to scan the whole screen the whole time. A smaller tv that fits your eye sight is maybe better.

For the rest search some different sites read reviews etc.
    I got a 37" tv and sit 2 meters away. And I can see the whole screen. (I can see a movement at the borders)

This. Generally speaking, larger sets have more input lag and post processing of the feed can muck up your response times. For "twitch" games like COD, it's not ideal. It can work, but I recommend getting a gaming monitor since you take it very serious

This is what my setup looks like.

BYrBm3gCIAAzswV.jpg:large

• 3. Re: Who has the TV answer I'm looking for?
    iHattoriHanzo0

Thanks. All feedback is much appreciated!

I've been using a 50 inch ever since CoD4 so the size isn't much of a problem. I do agree that a smaller size is definitely better, but like I said, it's for the living room so there is a little sharing with the family.

I also have a 23 inch monitor that is fantastic for CoD but I'm much more comfortable sitting on my couch for days upon days each title.

I can't look at anymore reviews!

I need you to tell me so I have someone to blame when its not perfect.

• 4. Re: Who has the TV answer I'm looking for?
    iHattoriHanzo0

Ok. You made me jealous. So I'm not looking for a new TV. Lets redirect my question.

I'm in need of a beastly office chair! Suggestions? 

• 5. Re: Who has the TV answer I'm looking for?
    dtuchpunk
    Where do you live? And when are you not home ;)
  • 6. Re: Who has the TV answer I'm looking for?
    Foxhound-Pro

iHattoriHanzo0 wrote:

Thanks. All feedback is much appreciated!

I've been using a 50 inch ever since CoD4 so the size isn't much of a problem. I do agree that a smaller size is definitely better, but like I said, it's for the living room so there is a little sharing with the family.

I also have a 23 inch monitor that is fantastic for CoD but I'm much more comfortable sitting on my couch for days upon days each title.

I can't look at anymore reviews!

I need you to tell me so I have someone to blame when its not perfect.

I would package the two together. "Brought home the bacon everyone! Here's an awesome new TV for the family. I was also able to get this gaming monitor too." Just cleverly not mention the price of the monitor. They're cheap though. I paid less than three bills for mine. My wife picked up the same monitor, it's the screen on the far left, for 150 flat with rewards points and it was on sale.

As for chair, I'm using a La-Z-Boy office chair that I picked up from my local SAMs. Feels great and it's not too pricey. Some of the "proper" chairs get up into the 500+ range. If you sit at a desk all the time, then consider something from Herman Miller if you need a huge business expense.

• 7. Re: Who has the TV answer I'm looking for?
    Foxhound-Pro

dtuchpunk wrote:

Where do you live? And when are you not home

• 8. Re: Who has the TV answer I'm looking for?
    iHattoriHanzo0

I knew I should have made my spare bedroom into an office. Instead I bought a queen size bed for the comfort of my guests.

Thank you though. These are hard choices. Whats best for my eyes? Whats best for my buttocks? And will it improve my k/d??

• 9. Re: Who has the TV answer I'm looking for?
    Foxhound-Pro

iHattoriHanzo0 wrote:

I knew I should have made my spare bedroom into an office. Instead I bought a queen size bed for the comfort of my guests.

Thank you though. These are hard choices. Whats best for my eyes? Whats best for my buttocks? And will it improve my k/d??

It's really hard to say what's best, but the competitive scene, regardless if people hate them or not, tend to use BenQ monitors. I have one and I think it's great. Activision used some for their own World Championships this past year. I can grab you the model number if you want to look at those and I'll link the one I own below.

http://shop.benq.us/ProductDetail.aspx?id=502

Seating is hard to pin point for everyone. I like to prop my feet up on a storage ottoman when I work and game, but fidget a ton. Shop around if you can. Sit in it, scoot around, and do what you need to at stores to get a proper feel.

Improvements in K/D might happen, but it's definitely not guaranteed. I toss myself at objectives so much that my K/D is slowly tanking. - QOL is big in gaming. I try to be as comfortable as possible first before I move to specialized products. I now own specialized products though. It's been a journey.

1 2 3 Previous Next