14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2013 4:39 PM by SavageHam RSS

cod ghosts lagging in game, nat and backgrouds

teddy_bear

Hi, I have a couple issues with ghost:-

first of all i get a lot of lag in game since day one,

i am running:

windows 7 64 bit, i7 3930k @ 4.5ghz,

geforce gtx 780 by evga,

32 gb ram and have a 50meg download speed, surley this is enough to run the game?

secondly ive tried the ports in forums but no matter what i occasionly have an open nat but mostly a strict nat? what are the ports that ghost use?

and finally on black ops 2 i am prestige master but ghost has not unlocked the backgrounds for it, how do i do this?

thanks in advanced for any help

• Re: cod ghosts lagging in game, nat and backgrouds
    SavageHam

Greetings teddy_bear,

I see that you are having issues with lag in game. If may also help if you setup a Static IP. Here's a link to the support site that may help you reduce the lag: Activision Support. As for your backgrounds, have you linked your account to a Call of Duty profile? If not could you please do so, then play a multiplayer match in Ghosts. If you already have set up and account, unlink your steam id, clear your browser cache, relink your steam id, then proceed to play a multiplayer match in Call of Duty Ghosts. Let me know if that helps you!

Thanks,

^AJ

teddy_bear

Thanks for the reply I have done all of that except putting my pc in the DMZ which would open it up to any internet attacks. I'm not overly bothered about the backgrounds just mention as I was posting any way the lag in game is my main issue and the NAT that keeps going back to strict making it very hard to join lobby's with my clan. Modern warfare and black ops were fine not needing any ports forwarded. I had to forward a few ports for black ops 2 but I cant get ghost NAT to stay open.

SavageHam

Hi teddy_bear,

I see that you've mentioned your ports are open, could you clarify which ports you've forwarded to? Are you forwarding to Call of Duty Ghosts or to Steam? Here goes a link to steams support page listing their ports:Required Ports for Steam - Network/Connection Issues - Knowledge Base - Steam Support. Also, can you try these ports for Call of Duty Ghosts: 1116-1150,5165,27900-27901,28910. Let me know if this helps!

Thanks,
      ^AJ

teddy_bear

no joy, the only other ports where 3075-3076

i had:-

1116-1150

3075-3076

4380 (steam)

27000-27050 (steam)

27900-27901

also had from bo2:-

3478-3480

27000-27050

the last 4 alone in bo2 gave me a open nat but even all together in ghost still strict. Is this why the game is laggy also?

SavageHam

Hey again teddy_bear,

Have you also tried setting up a static IP for your PC? Also, are you playing on a wired or wireless connection? If wireless, can you please try to connect wired to your both your router and directly to your modem and see if that improves the connection?

Thanks,

^AJ

teddy_bear

i have now set it as a static ip and have the following ports set. it seems to have gone to open but haven't played yet to see if it is still laggy. last time it said open it only lasted one day so i wont get to excited just yet and thank you for the help so far

struck that when't back to strict with out changing anything... GRRR

Name

Port Range

Protocol

IP Address

Enable

Delete

steam 2700-2705

1. 27000..27050

TCP&UDP

steam 4380

UDP

ghost 1116-50

1. 1116..1150

TCP&UDP

ghost 5165

TCP&UDP

ghost 27900-01

1. 27900..27901

TCP&UDP

ghost 28910

TCP&UDP

bo2 3478-80

1. 3478..3480

TCP&UDP

bo2 4500

TCP&UDP

bo2 3074

TCP&UDP

SavageHam

Hello teddy_bear,

Thanks for the update! I appreciate you patience through this process, I know it can get frustrating. Have you attempted connecting your PC directly to you modem to see if that helps? Do you have any other devices connected while attempting to play? As a last resort, have you tried contacting your ISP, sometimes they may need to do maintenance.

Thanks,
              ^AJ

teddy_bear

it is connected directly to the modem, there is a Xbox and a laptop and a few phones connected on the wireless but this has never caused a problem before, if i have right ports forwarded they wont effect this as the forwarding gives my comp direct access to the ports. and its only ghosts i have a problem with so surely not isp problem? i use ts3 and play battelfield bo2 and a few racing games with no lag at all.

SavageHam

Hi teddy_bear,

I see, thanks for letting me know that. You are correct that port would give you direct access to communicating with the Ghosts servers, but other device may be affecting the overall bandwidth available when you are attempting to connect. Can try connecting without the other devices in use to see if it improves connection? Also, can you try disabling the Steam Community option? When you launch the Steam console, in the top left corner, click "Steam", select "Settings", and go to "In-Game" and uncheck "Enable Steam Community In-Game". This would prevent you from view your friends list in game, but may assist your issue as this may also be occupying bandwidth and load on your processor. Please let me know if that helps!

Thanks,

^AJ

teddy_bear

Steam in game does not wort for me in ghost anyway, bit of a pain when accepting game invites as also in game i cant alt+tab out either,

I would like to think that 6 core running 2 threads each @4.5 GHz would more more than enough to run the game as the recommended processor is an I5-680@ 3.6 GHz which is a dual core running 4 threads.

I have however turned UPnP off and that is now giving me an open NAT, but the game is still lagging and unplayable at times. I have never had this much problems from a new game before its crazy.

A big thank you for your help,

SavageHam

Salutations teddy_bear,

I'm glad you found resolve to your issue with the NAT settings. I didn't mean a Six Core proc could not handle the game, but rather wanted to be positive we went over everything that could influence gameplay. You can even check in the Windows Task Manager, under the Processes tab, right click on the Call of Duty Ghosts Exe, and select Set Affinity. In some cases, the game isn't running on all cores and doesn't take full advantage of all six cores. You can also double check that your mother boards LAN drivers are up to date. Let me know if that helps!

Thanks,
                      ^AJ

teddy_bear

I did already start with updating the drivers and set the processor to affinity. i did find the game improved when i switched sync every frame. it made it more playable but there's still enough lag at the best point to knock the aim out and it still gets really bad at times. Is there away of setting the max ping like on black ops 2 as some servers seem better than others but it is pot luck what you get it seems

SavageHam

Hey there again teddy_bear,

I'm glad to hear there was some improvement to the game play. I understand having some lag may be frustrating, but there isn't a setting in game to have custom search settings. I can take that down as feedback and make sure to forward that along to the appropriate parties. If you have any support related questions in the future, feel free to ask!

Thanks,
                          ^AJ