33 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2013 9:43 AM by SolidWater RSS

Terrible lag!!!???

LeGrandCharmeur

I can't play in the multiplayer mode as the lag is so bad.  Everything is very choppy and forget about aiming down your sights as they move in increments.  I have no problems with Battlefield 4 nor GTA 5.  I contacted Microsoft and they said everything is fine on their end.  They also checked my connection and my settings and also said they are fine.  They advised me to contact Activision as the problem lies at their end.  I contacted Activision and they sent me a list of things to do to improve online gaming quality.  I did the port forwarding as well as adjust the DMZ that they recommended.  It did nothing at all to improve the game and was a complete waste of time.  I contacted my internet provided and they advised that everything was fine and it wasn't my connection at all.   Now I have spend money on a game that I cannot play online.  Does anyone else suffer from severe lag? 

• Re: Terrible lag!!!???
    ghostiscrap

yes i do i have 78meg internet so its there end not ours

LSRich

I am experiencing the exact same issue making COD: Ghosts unplayable. Supposedly the matchmaking was going to place players geographically close together, in order to limit the distance from servers, dedicated or not, thus limiting the lag comp. I do not think the matchmaking is working as planned on the "older" gen consoles. If you go read the forums about Ghosts on the PS4 there appears to not be as many issues with the lag comp. The lag comp on this game appears to severely "penalize" those with good internet connections in order to "level" the playing field. Personally I find this to be unacceptable.

For those on the good side of lag they are very happy. For those of us on the bad side of lag it renders the game unplayable. And no it has nothing to do with ones ability to play a new game, learn new guns, learn the new maps, Etc, Etc, Etc...If you are not experiencing the bad side of lag than you will not be able to understand the issues a vast majority of players are dealing with at this time. There are numerous postings all saying the exact same things about lag, so I hope it can get addressed as lag issues and not player issues. I expect IW will fix some of the obvious issues in this game and correct some of the lag comp problems. COD: Ghosts has the potential to be a good fun game, but as of right now I, and a LOT of other players, cannot even enjoy it because we cannot play it, thus I am back to BO2 waiting for patches or BO3.

belly120

ok your internet doesn't seem to matter to COD, i don't know why.  matchmaking will try and find a good match (its very bad at looking) if you live in a location where you are far from a lot of players that will not help things

do you play during busy periods, ie evenings as that's when most people play and player numbers are likely to be highest around you??

is your NAT open??  in your multiplayer screen it will say NAT Type and then either strict moderate or open, you want open otherwise it will be hard to match you to good games

FalconR6

Did you mean that you have ports forwarded and have your xbox in the DMZ?

If you DMZ your Xbox - no need to port forward.

Also - check if you have your Upnp enabled or not.

Again, if you have ports forwarded you do not want Upnp enabled, it overrides it.

For everyone's info:

DMZ > Upnp and Port forwarding

Upnp> Port Forwarding.

You need to pick one of the three alternatives - otherwise you are confusing your modem.

LeGrandCharmeur

Originally I port forwarded as well as entered the Xbox in the DMZ and nothing improved.  I then canceled the port forwarding and left the Xbox in the DMZ with the same unfortunate results.  Yes my UPnP is enabled but it hasn't rectified anything.    

industrial-vladd

Hey, you seem to know a lot about NAT

Should I enable or disable UPnP when I DMZ my Xbox?

FalconR6

When you have Upnp enabled. if your modem has it, your modem identifies what ports are needed to be open automatically. Problems can arise if the modem doesn't detect the ports that you need. The newer your modem the more likely it will succeed.

Putting your Xbox into the DMZ means that firewalls are taken out of the equation and everything is open. Having Upnp enabled at the same time I don't think would make a difference (if I'm wrong anyone, please correct me).

For me - I'd only place my console into the DMZ if it necessary - ie  if Upnp or Port Forwarding is not getting you an open Nat.

Here is my advice:

Try Upnp - if this works and gives you an Open Nat; excellent, it is the least complicated way of using your modem.

if unsuccessful - Try Port Forwarding (disable Upnp) - make sure you have the right ports for the console you have and the game you want to play,

Last resort - Place your console into the DMZ.

TIPS - If you don't know what you are doing - grab all the relevant info you can and call your modem support (they may well be able to remote access your computer and do it for you.

- Setting up a static IP for your console is just as important as the above, if not more.

- If you have more than one console in your house, the above becomes more complex - (in short Port Triggering instead of Forwarding)

- If possible use a wired connection. Wireless can sometimes be unstable, especially if you have multiple devices accessing your Internet.

** A lot of gamers fall into the trap of thinking I have great Internet, quoting there large bandwidth. Here is the thing - Cod requires minimal bandwidth, say 2.5 down / 0.5 up. If you want to be a good host a few more Mbps is a good thing. But seriously, having 100 down / 10 up is overkill for gaming. What is far more important is that your modem-router is allowing Cod traffic to flow through unimpeded,, and that your line is stable. **

codchamp

I have the same problems OP. I thought i had fixed the issues because it was playing well for a night or two. But yesterday the lag was back with a vengance. It did not matter the game mode, who was in my party or what time of day. The game play is VERY choppy and i will either teleport or get insta killed almost the whole time.

I played MW3 and Battlefield 4 lastnight and the both worked flawless.

Adeeez100

codchamp wrote:

I have the same problems OP. I thought i had fixed the issues because it was playing well for a night or two. But yesterday the lag was back with a vengance. It did not matter the game mode, who was in my party or what time of day. The game play is VERY choppy and i will either teleport or get insta killed almost the whole time.

I played MW3 and Battlefield 4 lastnight and the both worked flawless.

Honestly, i am personally still trying to wrap my head around the fact that the game was flawless on release day, and i mean flawless. Since then it has been hit and miss, but something i will say is playing solo always presents a better experience than running in a party which i believe you do, but even running solo does not come up to scratch, *hand lands on top of head*, connection is the priority of any fps twitch shooter, becomes completely naff otherwise and peoples would rather wash their car.

codchamp

You are 100% right dude.

#1 the game played better on release day and for a few days after. It went downhill and did not come back. I saw no host migrations, dashboarding or lag. So i can only say it was possible that we had a test for dedicated servers the first few days and now we are all only playing on listen servers and the reason why we are seeing connection issues.

#2 Again you are right about partying up. I have had a few friends that i notice everytime i play with them the lag does get worse. Location is not the issue as some of these guys are close to me. But it is keeping me away from them. Honestly i will not play a team based game without a full team so this kind of kills the experience even more for me as well.

Adeeez100

100% agree with you, cheers, thought it may have been me again being a tad too picky.

deano66s

I have been messaging people all week if I find it impossible to kill them or their kd is over 1.5 asking them what their internet speed is. 99.9% say "its ****" or they are with Virgin both will benefit from lag comp so the only perk to have in this game is slow or virgin internet. Your success or failure in this game is purely connection based do not be fooled into thinking otherwise it certainly is not the amount of skill you do or do not possess.

My connection is FTTC I get 32mbps download and 6.5mbps upload. My connection has no packet shaping, bandwidth capping or any filtering whatsoever and our network is sold to business users so out of working hours the network is less than 25% used so I have no contention issues. I also work for my ISP so know my line is 100% working with no problems. Having a line of this quality is the worst possible case for playing COD.

markleshark7

'Lag' is experienced through the game's host. If a player is chosen by the servers to be host, and he has a bad connection, the rest of the players in the lobby suffer too. There is no way to see if who is actually playing as host, but needless to say, once the host leaves, another is chosen at random, or the best possible connection. Players can also experience lag when playing with/against other people from around the world. If you manage to stay in the same lobby long enough however, eventually you will be picked to be host because the servers can detect the only remaining player from the starting match.

I hope this helps, this is all my knowledge on the issue.

And incidentally, i too also sometimes suffer from lag but its a minority...

michelangel0

Its 50/50 for me.  Sometimes I'll be unable to move because I keep jumping all over the map.  And sometimes I'll be aiming and then it will pause for a couple of seconds and someone has shot me.  The killcam always plays beautifully though. The number of games I've quit is higher than the number I've finished.

kybo

Reading this post made me somewhat at ease that i wasnt the only one lagging even though my internet was fine. Also why would they even release Call of Duty Ghost's when multiplayer didn't even have  dedicated servers yet. Wouldn't you think they would make it some what maditory that multiplayer  would have to have Dedicated servers. I thought it was Company's goals to fix problems so they could get more people to play instead of pushing them aside and not giving a s***.

Just my thinking.

LeGrandCharmeur

Even with the new fixes I am still experiencing severe lag which is worse then ever.  How can they not fix this reoccurring issue that affects so many players.  This is unacceptable and should be resolved immediately.  Back to playing BO2 for me.   

codchamp

I got my xbox one lastnight and Ghost's. The game plays perfect with no hint of lag or connection issues at all. Not one host migration or dashboarder. This leaves me to believe that i was on dedicated servers and this is truly how any MP game should be!

starbuckfrack

Dont know if you are still in the forum. But wasnt it you that changed your mind and bought the game after the fact ? Or was it one of the other regulars ?

About two weeks ago one of the regulars said they werent going to get Ghosts at all but started to change their mind. I assumed it was you.

Only reason I ask is because your opinion would matter much more after the fact. No offense of course.

codchamp

After what fact? I think my thoughts on this game and this franchise would be of some value. I have played every title since the launch of the 360, Spent a minimum of 20+ days in every title and have never moaned in these forums about the stuff that everyone else does. My only gripe that i have had over the last couple of years has been connection.

But if you would like me to go on about campers, quickscopers and just about anything else that makes other cry...Please let me know.

Adeeez100

codchamp wrote:

After what fact? I think my thoughts on this game and this franchise would be of some value. I have played every title since the launch of the 360, Spent a minimum of 20+ days in every title and have never moaned in these forums about the stuff that everyone else does. My only gripe that i have had over the last couple of years has been connection.

But if you would like me to go on about campers, quickscopers and just about anything else that makes other cry...Please let me know.

And you have every right to complain about said issues, recent titles leave a lot to be desired.

starbuckfrack

I meant after the fact as in more like after the game came out. Poor wording on my side.

What I meant to say is that your opinion was still worth value as before and if you changed your mind and bought it after changing your mind, the fact that you say this one is good holds more value.

Adeeez100

codchamp wrote:

I got my xbox one lastnight and Ghost's. The game plays perfect with no hint of lag or connection issues at all. Not one host migration or dashboarder. This leaves me to believe that i was on dedicated servers and this is truly how any MP game should be!

codchamp, i have failed to get my hands on one as yet, fell through for me. Is there that much difference in regards to connection?. Your opinion is valuable to me as i will get into high gear to get myself a 1.

codchamp

The connection has been very solid and probably the best COD connection i have seen in a long time. But like i said it has only been one night so far and a limited number of players online. I am going to put on a long gaming marathon between tonight and monday. I will let you know if it remains the same of if things get worse.

Overall Ghost's on the box 1 is a vast improvement over the 360 version. Besides the connection, The game looks so much superior. It is easier to spot people, Where as in the 360 version the colors left something to be desired, You can clearly see it was all designed for next gen. I was finding myself getting less hung up on trash in the maps because they stood out more and things of that nature.

I will keep you updated though.

Bielsalmighty

To me 'choppy' indicates a problem with the copy of the game you have more than connectivity. Have you tried borrowing another copy of the game, or installing MP to your hard drive?

My only other thought is if you are going in via wifi to switch out to hardwire. If thats not possible then change the wireless channel on your router.

But as I said, choppiness sounds more like you have a duff copy of the game...

Adeeez100

Can't believe i'm saying this, blops 2 plays better, what???, 0-o.

djtn

I've noticed problems since the last patch but it could be one or more of the following:

1. They updated the matchmaking to a bigger radius per search.
    2. A lot of people left the 360 matchmaking pool for the Xbox one.
    3. They stopped region locking.
    4. They want you to upgrade to next-gen and get more of your money.
    5. They shifted resources to the Xbox one matchmaking and 360 matchmaking is less efficient .
    6. Matchmaking influences the winners and losers.

Every COD has played this way. Lag compensation has always been an issue but I've noticed a couple of differences with Ghosts, the maps are larger so when I see the lag compensation is working against me I adapt with a load-out for distance and camp/defend an area/path. Sometimes this doesn't work because, even though I have the enemy locked on with a thermal scope, the kill-came shows my bullets magically going around the enemies body. Like he's got an invisible shield that deflects the bullets away when they get close. In older versions I could go prone and this would add precision to my shot, but not in this game.

I've also noticed a pattern in matchmaking where I go through periods of being matched with players that have a lot higher k/d than mine. My team will have all the lowest k/d and the opposing team will have 3+ k/ds. Everyone on my team goes 10-33, 6-38... and the other team beast out. After an hour or so of playing these types of matches, matchmaking switches and all of the sudden I'm working it out.

It sucks but it is what it is. COD (since MW2) has always been like this and it will never change. While we play for enjoyment of the competition, COD is a money making business. Decisions will be made to produce the largest return on investment at all cost whether your game play is fair or not...

SolidWater

There's certain solution to reducing lag. If you haven't tried any yet or might need more solutions there are more available:

Reducing Latency (Lag) on Call of Duty: Ghost and Multiplayer In General While Using a Router

It can work with any game, it's about lag in general, really.