28 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2013 1:22 PM by Bubbakush RSS

Thoughts on I.E.D's

SrgntMerkWorthy

Have noticed an abundance of these being used, and they get frustrating.  I am not claiming they are OP, just ridiculously effective.  They work in many applications; camping a building, covering routes, throw in tall grass and catch grazers, lob into an area you know someone is hiding.  I personally do not use them often, but on the few classes I do, it is more like a radar, with the ability to kill.  Also good for flushing shy hiders out of a corner and into your view or wherever you want to make them move. 

I have just heard a lot of people say they are OP, and I myself get heated when they are spread all over the map.  I know you can run Sit-rep, but that is really the only application for it( that makes sense, and it might make taking up the space in perks viable) . 

They are hard to see.

Not direction- more of a blast radius

I know they beep, but if well placed at all, it is to late.

Just wanted thoughts to see what people thought.  Again I don't know if I would claim they are to powerful, more so annoying.

• Re: Thoughts on I.E.D's
    squirrelness

My biggest gripe is that Sitrep doesn't always show them....at least for me.  I bet I die at least once every other match from an IED that didn't show up and that can be frustrating, haha.

As for 'using them for radar', I realize some people do this so I usually try to blow up the IED and flank.  Then it becomes a fun game of cat and mouse. 

myevo8you

Being as they are the ONLY explosive you can lay down, and as there is an EASY counter for them, they are FAR from OP'd. In fact I LOVE when enemies use them as I have used Sit Rep/Engineer/Hacker etc. in EVERY COD and it is AWESOME for finding campers and where the enemy like to hold down. There is nothing better than finding a room full of them and tossing both my IED's in the room on top of theirs, and hearing BEEP, BEEP BANG!

blb128

I think they are annoying and cheap. They are hard to see. They can be thrown at you which is stupid. My guess is their counter is blast shield but does this work? Can you survive them with blast shield on?

myevo8you

blb128 wrote:

I think they are annoying and cheap. They are hard to see. They can be thrown at you which is stupid. My guess is their counter is blast shield but does this work? Can you survive them with blast shield on?

Their counter is Sit Rep. One of the best perks in the game

sawgunnerspc

yes you can survive them but it is still likely they will kill you I find that it depends on where you are in place to where the i.e.d is. I also agree with the statement that they are ridiculous in the fact that you can throw them at people. I think they are ridiculous cause you can throw them period. The I.E.D should be a placement weapon. You should have to stop and place the I.E.D. As for sitrep users I have been hearing a lot lately how they randomly stop showing up in the middle of matches I think that sitrep is just bugged cause I have noticed it on other equipment also.

Wheels1AWTT

If you don't even know how they work don't bother replying. Yes you can throw them at someone but they don't arm for 3-4 seconds so if you toss one as you die chances are you will spawn and it will disappear before it explodes. The blast radius could be taken down just a bit because they do get some ridiculous kills sometimes. I use them and I think the delay and sitrep make help even them out a bit. Also blast shield will protect you from a single blast if you are not injured or directly on top of it. For those that don't see them good, sitrep works but if you only ever look at eye level and below you will never see mine.

Kandagawa

That's why if you die as you throw it, don't mash the X button. IED's continue to stay active until you respawn.

sawgunnerspc

they only stay active for 2-4 secs depending on how long the computer takes to register that you are dead and remove your I.E.D. I rarely get any kills from them after death even when I watch the kill cam all the way through. if I lay on top of the I.E.D and someone knifes me then I normally get the kill after death.

Kandagawa

Erm, no. They'll stay active through an entire kill cam. I get kills all the time waiting through it. And no, that isn't hyperbole.

sawgunnerspc

if you look at my post i don't say they aren't active through the kill cam i said that even when i watch the kill cam i rarely get kill unless the ied is really close to my body or if they knife me i didn't deny the fact that they stay active during the kill cam

Kandagawa

You said "they only stay active for 2-4 seconds." So you were wrong, since they can stay active for an entire kill cam which is five seconds.

Bubbakush

i kinda wanna hear why or even how they would fix camping

myevo8you

Bubbakush wrote:

i kinda wanna hear why or even how they would fix camping

They can't. It will NEVER go away, especially when they make a game where the players outfits blend in with every dark corner in the maps, and there are about 897693 corners in each map to do it in. The people that complain about camping want other players to run aimlessly out in the open with no cover to become fodder for them so they can inflate their precious K/D.

Also people ASSume others are camping when they see someone firing from cover. A TRUE camper is a person that picks a random spot on a map, places explosives at the only entrances to that spot and lays prone while aiming down the sights for the entire game. This player will usually only get 2-5 kills a game and is NOT a threat if you know how to take them out.

Adam1234567893

They aren't op in opinion people need to learn to adapt I think they are useless for camping lol I either get passed them or if I am the one using it to cover my 6 while camping people get by it easily to be honest they are no where near as bad as the Bouncing Betties or Claymores because they don't explode instantly.

SrgntMerkWorthy

Betty's were pointless against good players.  You could easily get around those.  They were more visible, and avoidable.  Claymore was directional, and not near as effective, which is exactly why they were used less.  I have been killed or hit by more I.E.D's in the past month than I have by claymores in the entire time I have playing CoD. 

xGoGoYx

I don't really have any thoughts on them. In fact, I try to ignore thinking about them being in game at all.

Mainly due to a few colleagues and my partner getting injured or even killed by them while deployed.

Frankly, Call of Duty Endowment and ingame IED don't go very well together.

McZOMBI

I'm not a fan of any equipment that's designed to be a pain in the butt. At least you could duck Bettys and had a chance of seeing a a Claymore's red beams. These are just brown lumps on brown maps. Whatever though, it's not like I die all the time from them.

Izjar11

They really arent that effective:

1- they are very visible, you can see the light blinking in a room.

2- they make a distinct sound (beeping) if you dont see a friendly emblem above it its enemy.

I use them, and out of lets say 10 I throw I get two or maybe three kills in a game. And its usually because I place them near my spawn.

SrgntMerkWorthy

Yea they can be avoidable sometimes.  They beep, but more times than not if it is in a decent spot and you hear beeping, it is too late.  Even with the blink it is hard to see.  But it does beep and you can see it, that is about the only reason I wouldn't say it is OP.  I would say close to half I throw, I at least get a hit with it( assuming I put it somewhere and stay alive for a decent amount of time).  They are way more effective than claymores and bettys combined.  

Izjar11

Well good, placing them well (like claymores) is not easy. Plus I forgot to mention they have a delay, you hear them ticking before they explode. Trust me guy, I loved claymores and used them very well, these IED's are not close to them.

SrgntMerkWorthy

Again, not saying you cant avoid them, but 8/10 times you hear the beep it is already to late.  Also not saying claymores are no good, just that most people were very ineffective with them, which is why you never saw a ton of them.  I would be willing to put money on the bet that IED's will have killed more people in a year in Ghost's, than bettys and claymores did combined in BO2. 

Plus engineer was much more applicable than sit rep is.  With claymores, bettys, shock charges, and all of the strong ground streaks like Gaurdian, and sentry gun( sentry in ghost's is garbage compared to before), it countered way more things.  I don't see an application for sit-rep besides IED, which it still doesn't always work. 

AllG00DThings

Well, there is sitrep, but I decided to use blast shield instead.  I figure it will save me 1-2 deaths per game.  Now if only I could also remove the 1-2 BS spawn deaths and the 1-2 corner camper deaths.  And I think this could be a great game.

phxs72

I'm actually wondering how effect Flak Jacket (or Blast Shield in Ghosts) would be against them.  I can't say that I've tried it yet but (or at least not intentionally) but I have to wonder if that isn't a better answer than sitrep.  They are annoying when they are everywhere.  Thankfully, I don't run into them in every match but in the lobbies that do run them, they are prolific.

SrgntMerkWorthy

It works against being killed completely, unless you are right on top of it( which if well placed, or in the right spot guarding a camper, it will be).  It probably does work better.  It just leaves you one shot from death. 

Not to you, but everyone who thinks this is a whine thread: I don't run sit rep or blast shield, as they do not bug me enough to.  I would rather run other perks that fit my style better.  If I was whining the answer would be run either of those.  I am not.  Please don't turn this post that direction.  Just thoughts, constructive opinions.