43 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2013 7:33 PM by xtlc2003 RSS

Storyline - Misty/Sam/Russman/Marlton

docfugazi

So, after dedicating a ton of time to the zombies maps, and completing all EE, i was left with the origins final cutscene. i honestly didn't mind that ending, however, in the month or so since it has been since i last logged on, ive been left to wonder what happened to misty/sam/russman/marlton - anyone else? what about the navcards, the bus, etc...do they ever find the rift? there was just a lot of stuff that was left unanswered...i really was bummed that they didn't come out with one last map that gave us a better idea of just what happens to them... burial somewhat explains it, i suppose...i actually think there is a possibility that there is still something that everyone has overlooked and treyarch is giggling at the idea of it...

might actually hop back on today and go for some high rounds, since it has been so long. xbox360 gt: docfugazi - if youre not a kid, and have some solid experience.

• Re: Storyline - Misty/Sam/Russman/Marlton
    docfugazi

some decent stuff found here, but it was from a while ago and nothing really confirmed:
    Re: So The New Crew Was Pointless?

Booman45

I believe this:

Origins is the ending to Maxis's ending in Buried. He gains power of the zombies AND of Richtofen.

He goes back to France and directs a zombie to kill him and he is turned into the drone. He then loses control to sam. After the Buried E.E. he says he can now go to Agartha and be with sam. Hence why Maxis does so in origins. Now what happened in the cutscene is the time loop effect for the characters. They have to repeat EVERYTHING.

Richtofen on the other hand, we don't know his effect though.. maybe in the next game? That would be great since he wasn't that crazy in origins. My guess is Richtofen does the same but "kills" sam before she goes into the MPD.

Rockker-1993

Why would Richtofen go back and kill Sam, when he already has supreme power? He talks about not wanting to go back to his previous body, and that the aether's energy is his to control for the world that's his personal play thing.

On a similar note, the cliff hanger for Moon may still exist, because consider when Maxis speaks of Richtofen's actions condemning Sam's soul to damnation, he could be talking of the old 4 still fighting zombies at who-knows-where. BUT, if they still were alive, why didn't they do Maxis' tasks themselves? As they started the domino effect with the rocket launch.

Who knows.

Jugg3naut510

Boom your post is off. Also Richtofen wasn't always crazy. It wasn't until after he teleported to the MPD for the first time (before the events of Zombies) he began hearing voices which made him insane. It all says so in the radios on Moon.

formallyKNOWNasLukey

It's a tough one but in my opinion zombies is going open world and the bo2 storyline ( haha yh right) was setting up the groups for bo3, the flesh, cdc and broken arrow.... If done right it might be good but the evolution of zombies by treyarch was about money not love.. Hence Nazi zombies without nazis. I'm sure I'm not the only to say bo2 felt some what hollow ( some might say alot worse)

To me it does feel like they picked a random idea for a map and forced the story to work around it. Some of the maps and gameplay have been great but storyline wise has killed it.

matuzz
    • The rift was at Buried.
    • The whole new crew was added only to appeal to new players and to make joining to the story this late easy.
    • The new crew story was just bad.
    • And the whole ending was just rubbish and the whole cliff hanger of what happened to O4 after Moon was ignored.
      LORD_GRRR

That pretty much sums it up.

I look forward to the next zombies but it's going to be really hard to take whatever story they come up with seriously.  I don't think they will ever be able to capture any magic like what they had going at the release of Tranzit ever again.

I just hope the next zombies retains the core of what makes it so addictive.  To me, it seems clear they are planning on taking zombies a new direction by severing old ties.  Hopefully, those ties are just story related and not game mechanics related.  I had strong confidence in Treyarch at the beginning of BO2.  But now I am genuinely frightened they may collapse the success of the zombies franchise if they alter the winning formula.  I've heard rumors of doing away with the point system, etc.  And while I don't take stock in rumors, I do take stock in the fact that they crashed and burned the story into the ground.  At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to tinker with the core of what makes zombies great and morph it into a different game.

xtlc2003

One thing MotD and Origins taught me is that the original crew didn't make the Zombies Experience,,,, but it sure helped. MotD was an epic fun map. The characters were interesting enough but what really made it was the map, the fun. Origins took it one step further, they actually gave us the original crew, except it's still not the original crew as they all behaved differently from their old incarnations. The map was still fun though, still felt "Zombies".

Aside from poor maps the new crew had no appeal, even the hot chick was just lame. Had the maps been good then perhaps we could have forgave the crappy characters or had the characters been epic then we may have forgave the crappy maps but both were crappy.

Anyway basically I can deal with new characters as long as they're not as shallow and uninteresting as the new crew BUT DON'T F**K with the game mechanics too much. The game should progress by killing zombies (getting points) to buy the doors/things needed to progress the story or simply survive longer. Imagine how lame Origins or MotD would have been with a bank? If you want to do something you NEED to kill zombies to do it.... MotD did that perfectly. Origins did it okay but some of the things like waiting for the Robots for the staff parts was BAD, it makes Origins like Tranzit in waiting for the bus or Die Rise in waiting for the dambed elevators. 

LORD_GRRR

xtlc2003 wrote:

Anyway basically I can deal with new characters as long as they're not as shallow and uninteresting as the new crew BUT DON'T F**K with the game mechanics too much. The game should progress by killing zombies (getting points) to buy the doors/things needed to progress the story or simply survive longer. Imagine how lame Origins or MotD would have been with a bank? If you want to do something you NEED to kill zombies to do it

Right on!

CSAWWWWW

It's kinda like they were thinking of implementing something that would literally cost 999,999 points, or something extravagant like that. I suppose they projected a lot of newcomers with BO2, meaning a bunch of fresh meat that need a crutch (or a bunch of crutches, considering the persistent-perks).

Megadog14

CSAWWWWW wrote:

I suppose they projected a lot of newcomers with BO2, meaning a bunch of fresh meat that need a crutch (or a bunch of crutches, considering the persistent-perks).

I think it this lol... the noobs complained because they weren't good and anyone who liked zombies had to suffer...

GulfCoastGirl

Megadog14 wrote:

CSAWWWWW wrote:

I suppose they projected a lot of newcomers with BO2, meaning a bunch of fresh meat that need a crutch (or a bunch of crutches, considering the persistent-perks).

I think it this lol... the noobs complained because they weren't good and anyone who liked zombies had to suffer...

Well that comes off a bit snobbish.  Of course they want to increase the number of people who play the game ($$$$) and that means noobs..... like me.  If the game is so hard that only hardcore players who've played the game for years can play it past a few rounds then they are going to lose customers.  I love zombies but I would not have enjoyed it so much when I started  if there weren't things in place to help me along the way as I was learning. 

Honestly I cringe every damn time I hear how the game is just too easy now.  If you've ever taken a look at the numbers and done the math (I have)  to find the percentages of players who make it to high rounds you would see that the percentages are very low... which, IMO means the game isn't "too easy"

I think some of you need to accept that you are good, perhaps outstanding at the game.... but you are not illustrative  of the zombie playing community as a whole; you are the exception, not the rule.

If you like zombies but are so awesome that the game is too easy then simply play without using PAP, bank or  perks and only use guns like  the SMR & Chicom.   Then come back and tell us all again how easy it is

Chucky6661

I Don't think it's the average skill level that makes the high round people a small percentage, it's the time needed to get there, lots of people don't have or want to spend there time doing that

GulfCoastGirl

Chucky6661 wrote:

I Don't think it's the average skill level that makes the high round people a small percentage, it's the time needed to get there, lots of people don't have or want to spend there time doing that

Ahhhh yes, the time needed... grueling hours spent grinding out the rounds....   I love it!!!  The fatigue wears you out and you start making mistakes.  Time isn't the only factor though.  More zombies, faster spawn-ins, harder to kill also make the higher rounds harder to achieve.... and if you want those leaderboard bragging rights you have to deal with it all!!!

Too easy????  Pfffff... I don't think so

Chucky6661

Lol, I understand what your saying, I have tried for high rounds before and only managed to achieve round 40, to be fair though I mysteriously have the game crash on me around rounds 35-40 way too many times. I would like the difficulty level of rounds 30, 40, and 50+ too come earlier though, so it takes the same skill but less time! like nacht, like you say just use chicom etc, I do, bus depot with no magic but still takes too long. More Brutus and panzers are what I want, I absolutely loved the new types of zombie in Shangri la and hoped it would continue

CSAWWWWW

I hear ya there. I, by no means, am great. I'm decent. But, noobs and pros should both agree that they've simplified the game, or at least put easier options in the game. Doesn't mean you need to utilize those options, but they are there...

xtlc2003

Yeah they can get a little uppity on the boards. I've talked to some people and offered to play with me. I'd go check out their theater and geez they are AWESOME.... I'm by no means that good, me and my kids barely made it made it to round 17 on Origins the other night, only did a last stand because it was time for them to sleep but that was a first for us.

I'd classify the new crew main story maps (Tranzit, Die Rise, & Burried) maps as a combination of easier and boring. No doubt with the Bank, Weapon Locker, & Perma Perks the opening rounds are just EASY! The problem with beasting walking zombies in the first 10 rounds is you get BORED because you've already explored the entire map by round 5 and not even needed to watch point conservation to do it.

Ascension's trophy about PaPing before round 8 was a good gauge. You could & needed to explore 80% of the entire map by round 7 and to do that you needed a combination of skill, smarts, & luck, it was perfect.

PS: the bank was just dumb because if you make access to it to early then the early rounds are simply too easy and drive the fun factor down and if you make access to it to late in the map then it's kind of pointless... The gimmicks in the Tranzit, Die Rise, & Buried were a good effort to try and "spice it up" but ultimately failed 

Megadog14

Challenge accepted!

Booman45

HALLELUJAH!

Sorry for the caps but someone finally agrees with me on those two maps.

xtlc2003

I still don't get the WW1 Origins story, any of the BO2 Zombies story for that matter. I mean did BO2 zombies happen in the 1960s or in 2025? 2ndly I get that they try to make it a VERY young group of soldiers (the old crew) first met at the trenches of France in WW1 but good got that's over 20 years from where the main Nazi zombies story starts.... if Element 115 is really that powerful then you'd think with 20years post gigantic robots and 115 then the Nazi zombie landscape would be totally different.

No if I was to get all "deep" then I'd say Origins happens in the Aether between Edward & Sam and that it plays out in WW1 because Sam knows some history about it, in her history books. She can't imagine a WW2 setting because it's going on all around her, it's barely making history. The MP40 and STG44 are there because they're likely prominent guns of her era and she puts them into her WW1 story.... If Origins is part of the main story then I think it's all happening in Sam's, her way of coping of what's going on in the Aether but it's not on physical earth like the other maps.

I think the new crew's story blows, I don't get how Richtofen loses control of the zombies but whatever. I think Buried did just that, bury the new crew's story but I don't think it's the end. I still feel like our WW2 old crew is on Moon/Area51 during the Tranzit story and we'll have to wait and see them actually finish the zombie story line.

Jugg3naut510

If we're gonna go by the Storyline retrospect (and not the ending's) then the whole thing was covered by I think was the US Army and everything was okay and Group 935 began again with people from all over the world..... until Maxis' decided to get funds from the Nazi party to make weapons from them when he's could've had a deal to help the Allies instead.

xtlc2003

But Germany had just lost the War (WW1), you would think if it was actually covered by Allied Funding (US, maybe Britain, etc.) after WW1 then it likely wouldn't happen in Germany. I get that being physically in Germany Maxis would look to the Nazi party for funding around the 1930s but in the 1920s, post WW1, seems hard to think that allied forces would fund "great minds" to congregate in the country they just defeated. It makes more sense for Group 935 to be an independent organization created Post WW1. An organization that draws international attention by the early to mid-1930s, about 15years after the great war....

I can't help but think that EVERYTHING about Origins is "make believe" imagination stuff going on either in Sam's head or in the Aether... I mean a 1000' tall robot, Magical Staffs that resemble previous map wonder weapons. The staffs in particular resemble weapons Sam saw while in control of the Zombies (well the fire staff is unique but come on, it's fire) so she draws on the wonder weapons for her imagination. Origins seems too Sci-fi Fantasy to be actually taking place on Physical earth during WW1. Plus Sam probably uses Norse mythos because her dad being German may have told her stories of their possible heritage to the Nordic peoples..... Just guessing

At any rate I kind of think PlayTheGame Central a little full of it

Jugg3naut510

Okay 1:When have Zombies ever even drawn to real life? Also by covered I meant that it was kept a secret to the public. Also as I said before, Maxis could've gotten Allied funding if he chose them instead of the Nazi Party. Sure they'd probably ask for weapons but since Hitler was in control, it would've been harder (considering the many projects the Nazis were doing during WW2 and many of the ones he shut down).

xtlc2003

Well they draw from real life event as to make it feel more "real" and draw our interest, WW2, Nazis, Tunguska. Aside from that yes, it's completely fiction but they seemingly set some precedents in their fiction that they later seem to go all FDR on. I mean the staff discoveries seem like a good template in later trying to create the wonder weapons but that's it.I'm no CoD Zombies Zen Master but no, to me too much about Origins seems fictional, a "world within a world" type of thing, from the 115 color, to the giant robots, to the time setting. Abracadavre

DeathBringer-Zen

If we're gonna go by the Storyline retrospect (and not the ending's) then the whole thing was covered by I think was the US Army and everything was okay and Group 935 began again with people from all over the world..... until Maxis' decided to get funds from the Nazi party to make weapons from them when he's could've had a deal to help the Allies instead.

If that is the case, then how did Maxis go ahead and makes these deals if he is dead? He is described as being seen as a physical being in various radio messages across WaW and BO1. How did he also go on to have a daughter?

As for making a deal with the Allies... You do know that this is what Richtofen did in order to get funding for the development of Griffin Station, yes?

Why do you think the map 'Five' has advanced teleporters on the map, and a prototype Thundergun, as well as the portrait of Richtofen in the DefCon room.

Richtofen found ways to use the element 115 in order to make weapons, teleportation technology and ultimately, a time machine. When these were presented to Maxis, he was not pleased. He was only interested in improving the human condition. He did not want weapons of mass destruction or teleportation technology. Only when funding became limited did he agree to make weapons for the Germans.

Of course, the exposure to 115 lead them all to become delusional and this caused Richtofen to be considered "Not of sound mind". Eventually, he used himself as a test subject while testing the teleporter and found himself on the Moon in front of the MPD. When he touched it, he began to hear voices and had a sudden knowledge of the device and what it could do.

This is when he turned on Maxis and aligned himself with the Americans in order to have the necessary funding and man power possible for him to go on his excavation hunt for the Vrill rod and focusing stone that would allow him access to the MPD.

As for the events of Verdun being covered up the the US... LOL! xtlc2003 is right... Origins is confirmation that it is all a game and nothing more. The storyline is an over exaggerated piece of nonsense. How can Samantha be in Agartha when she was released from he MPD by Richtofen? Why is she trying to get her dad, who is dead(!?!) to help free her when her dad is supposedly an omnipotent being who is now in Agartha trying to find her (even though she should not be there in the first place!), Why is she American, yet her dad is German? Why if Maxis is now a god like figure, has he not went back to the time of Richtofen releasing the rockets and stopped him, or better yet, gone back to the time before Samantha entered the MPD and stopped her!?

Origins storyline is nothing more than the fabrication of 2 children's minds, and that was explained CLEARLY in the sequence. The only thing the sequence has that can convince us otherwise is the last words she utters, and that can mean anything to be honest. Either way, she told us the heroes in her story were NOT real! The 04, N4 and lots and LOTS of other things from all the maps are clearly shown... and that was done for a reason... to show us where she took her inspiration from.

LORD_GRRR

The truth hurts!

Cheesegrater28

Personally I still think the original story up to Origins is all real and will continue if zombies does. Not sure how, but still think and hope that Origins will be explained by something weird like its all in Maxis' head when he goes into Agartha, Nikolai is dreaming this passed out on Moon Vodka, or Sam and Eddie are clones being experimented on by Majestic 12 and thats why they are the same age and American and they use Maxis' voice recordings to control them. Anything that voids the map and its cutscene cause if that all stands, then the rest of the story line has to be fake and was a waste of time. Can't see Treyarch building it up for 3 games, tying it into their campaigns, adding new things like the Flesh and Broken Arrow, and then just saying its all fake. At least hope they wouldn't. 

Megadog14

I just pretend that BO2 never happened lol.

DeathBringer-Zen

I can see them doing it myself to be honest because I think they let this story run away with itself. A reboot of sorts could be the best (or worst) thing to happen to the game.

You can tell they did not really know what they were doing with BO2 zombies throughout the game. The N4 had no character development in Tranzit, and Die Rise just made no sense towards the story whatsoever. Why were we even in China in the first place, and why was the radio transmissions on the TV in Die Rise all American messages!?

MotD is a great map, but was useless and pointless from a storyline point of view. It added nothing, and we will never hear about the characters again, despite people insisting Arlington was the mastermind behind the comics.

Buried actually made a little bit of sense, though having a western town in the map was so laughable. Storyline also felt like they just went with a re-scripted version of the Moon finale. The voice editing was also beyond amateurish. Maxis would speak, then a 2 second delay before Richtofen replied. It all sounded so poorly edited and not very dramatic.

If you did the Richtofen side, he just spouted basically the same speech he gave us on Moon!?! He now has the power, yet apparently already had it when he entered the MPD. Guess he needed us to power the 3 towers first. Not sure why though because when we did do it for him, nothing changed except for a reward that was not actually needed because we were already playing on the easiest zombie map ever made. I did not even use the 4 guns OR the firesale when we did the end game because we did not need to.

Maxis wins and he is going to destroy the Earth to reach Agartha, instead on going to the Moon where his daughter actually resides now. All very rushed, nonsensical and pointless.

Origins needs no explaining, but... if we are to give it one, think Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness. 4 warriors who slay the undead, only to find out they also did it in the dark ages! How did they even get back to that time period? How did they return? What the hell does it even mean? We only know this through the 4 statues and the hidden piece of paper floating around the map. Ignoring that, even having them meet up in the battlefields of Verdun contradicts many things related to the storyline prior to BO2.

I have saw some people try to cheat their way out of admitting the storyline is fabrication by saying one word...

"Timelines"

To me, that is a lazy and pathetic answer to give. The ending does not suggest timelines, so why should we just accept that as the answer to it? As far as I can see, zombies as we know it is over, and all the characters we know have been consigned to the sin bin forever.

I expect a reboot, but with all the backlash they have received, it would not surprise me if they do try to continue this current storyline, but if they do, then I feel the ending to Origins would be even more pointless and insulting because they wanted to rap it up but gave in to community pressure, and that is why we got Origins in the first place, and tbh I would rather have saw what they initially intended to give us over Origins any day!

Cheesegrater28

I agree. BO2s storyline was terrible and leaves little room to go even if we ignore Origins. Time travel or not, Origins story just doesn't work. The only thing that ever supported it was Richtofen saying he had a sister and crushed her dolls on Ascension, even though Sam doesn't seem to be his sister. Maybe a half sister. But we all know they aren't American, they weren't the same age, and none of the events actually in the Origins map could have happened according to the rest of the little story we got in past games. There is no way that any time travel can make Origins a real part of the story. Thats why I'm still hanging on hope for some explanation, (I'd even take a bad one) that says Origins is fake in some way, like its in another dimension. Then somehow continue the old story. I'd even be happy if the next game was just simply showing what the O4 did from Moon till the new 4 finish Buried. Mixed with another MotD Aether type map of some other random 4 dead people. Just something simple that fixes the mistakes of BO2.

DeathBringer-Zen

Time will tell. If they do write off Origins though, I will resent the map even more so. It was an awful way to reintroduce the O4. Why did they not just make the map a follow up to the Moon events? It would have been welcomed so much more and would also have put to bed the whole "What happened after Moon" debate.

I think, like all the previous BO2 maps, they just had a map design that suited the Easter Eggs they had in mind. Origins is just like MotD. You pretty much have to do the majority of the EE in order to get the arsenal on offer, and it also just recycled the same terrible endgame to it. I hope they actually put some love and effort into the next games maps. All the EE's in BO2 were trash. They were neither enjoyable or worthwhile. I have done the endgame for Maxis and Richtofen once, and will NEVER do them again. They are just not worth it. Tranzit was short and unrewarding. The Die Rise and Buried EE's made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Even the steps explained in both those EE's were stupid. How did any of the steps correlate to powering up a tower?

MotD and Origins EE's were more traditional, but the ended stupidly and were not very rewarding or fulfilling. MotD was fun, but Origins was tedious and repetitive.

I just hope the take what the majority of the community said about BO2 in and make the appropriate changes, but they will probably just think it was a job well done thanks to the YT fan boys who praised the game because they earn their living from it.

Syndicate is the worst of the lot. Praising every map like a douche bag rather than being honest. According to him, ALL the maps were amazing, and he even tweeted the 3arc guys saying so. Idiot child. smh.

xtlc2003

Origins happening in Sam's head I think makes it okay. You can always reason that all the articles seen in the final cutscene in Sam's room are an homage to the experiences Sam had while in control of the Zombies. Even the MotD references could be traced to her being made aware of those events by whoever controlled the Zombies before her, ie the demonic announcer of MotD. On Moon she says "The blackness will swallow your pride! Something far more terrible than you lies here!" so I think that references the MotD announcer...... That's if Origins is in fact Sam's way of dealing with what going on in the Aether....... Of course the whole thing could just be two kids playing make believe

Chucky6661

Why don't we all just tell 3arc we will forgive them if they agree to pretend blops2 ever happened, we will forget blops2 ever happened at have another pop at it, starting where we left off in moon eh?

DmZ_xProZz

ok gt is DmZ xProZz

M3NTZ3R29

I would say that the BO1 story is no doubt better, but really, how much more could they have done with it? Just have the O4 keep teleporting around, the same characters over and over? Tranzit was a great follow up to Moon, fresh characters, and new atmosphere, and the story made sense! Rictofen is in control, the Earth is destroyed, no questions. No one spectulating "well maybe they teleported through time and he is immortal" and all those bad explanations for Origins and Moon. I would say that Die Rise had no story and a bad EE, but Die Rise was merely a step going from Tranzit to Buried, nothing groundbreaking, just hinting at future events such as the flesh and the rift. I think that Treyarch waited to followup on Moon for as long as possible, probably not going to end the O4's story until 4th dlc of blops 3. Origins had a simple explaination, until I saw the cutscene. Many thought that Sam accidentally teleported to WW1 France and was trapped, so she wanted the O4 to free her. The cutscene is great. Great cliffhanger, and lots of hidden easter eggs, such as N4 under her bed, tallies showing how many maps Eddie made, and them drawing the next map. The next map, I think, will be a followup of tranzit chronologically, but i think the N4 were killed in Buried endgame . And sam says in the origins cutscene that Eddie will have control next time.

xtlc2003

Whoa, of course you're not alone but you're the first person I know that actually said Transit was a good follow up to Moon. Difficulty wise Moon is hard for me and my kids, the low grav is a bi!ch for us but it's an Uber cool map. Transit was awful, from the map, the characters, everything.

And yeah I think the O4 (minus Richtofen) would have been better, way better. The N4 simply have NO appeal. For every one time we play Transit we play Die Rise three or four times and for every time we play Die Rise we play Buried two or three times but for every time we play buried we play MotD or Origins 10 to 15 times. The main story maps and characters are really bad, opinion I know but I have to share it.