30 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2013 12:55 PM by veilofmaya RSS

Please use Dead Silence!

TG-ThoMz

Dead Silence not only prevents the enemy team from knowing exactly where you are.. it also does not give away your teammates position if you are near them.

If you are a new player, you can unlock Dead Silence with squad points (not sure how many). So please do so as it's not only helps you but also your team!

Thanks and Happy New Year!

• Re: Please use Dead Silence!
    Tactics74

I agree Dead Silence is the ONLY must have perk if you want to move around.. do yourselves a favor. Use it.

nicedrewishfela

The only perk I have on every class. (Though the list is growing)

If you aren't using it... Stay the Heck away from me.

veilofmaya

if there is something that everyone should use...then perhaps it shouldnt be in the game at all..kind of like stopping power

nicedrewishfela

But it has several counters. As someone who actually MOVES in this game, I find it necessary to run. Not everyone has to run it... I just happen to use it.

The way this game is designed, players like myself are at a disadvantage. Even with DS on, Amplify users can just sit in one spot and wait for me. Footsteps are so loud in this game, folks who move are at a distinct disadvantage. Folks can still see me just fine. I still have to get around their explosive traps.

It has numerous counters, I have pretty much always equipped DS(not in BO2, it was useless) as I like to move around and don't like to announce my presence while doing so. For the way I play, I need it on. Until they stop giving sitters/campers/etc advantages... I will continue to use it.

BU773TPROOF

I disagree this time. I do agree that DS is a must have but its far more powerful then Amplify. The two perks should cancel each other out, since they are worth the same amount and are direct opposites. Instead DS users are still getting a lighter foot step to an Amplify player. This makes DS technically unbalanced.

I'm not suggesting the game be changed, I like it the way it is, but I'm just saying, As an avid COD player and DS user. DS is better then Amplify.

People should be able to camp and hear your foot steps with Amplify, its a valid tactic to use against a DS user who might be unsuspecting. Though I enjoy DS and moving around every perk should have a counter that is equal. No one should just be

able to run around with no consequence for their poor situational awareness.

nicedrewishfela

I see what you are saying.

I guess my question to you is... why was DS in previous titles and never needed a counter before now?

The penalty for poor situational awareness is...well... dying a lot. The Camper who isn't prepared to deal with the Dead Silence User is the one you can accuse of lack of situational awareness.

Perks like Amplify encourage lazy play. You can sit, wait, hear people thundering around like elephants and just not have to think. Using DS only benefits you if you are moving... and if you aren't aware, well it doesn't matter if they can't hear you, cause they sure as hell can see you.

Another issue in this game is that there are no "Perk Tier' requirements, which is both a blessing and a curse. You can pick any combo of perks, just about, with the only limit being how many perk points you have (I, for one, have sacrificed Tacticals and Secondaries in this game for more perk slots). One thing that always kept DS balanced was... if you took up that slot using DS, you sacrificed something else of use. Now you can do just about anything... which is great for individual customization, but horrible in some ways for balancing.

titansfan2104

I agree but the way I look at it is, if I'm using it so can anyone else!! Instead most players want their own combo and if they are getting beat its because of the other alternatives being op. Its just another example of one group wanting another to conform to their way of playing so "I can beat you" otherwise they think it's not fair or op. That's the liberal country we live in, whine and cry because it ain't  fair and I promise they will cater to the minorities.  it seems to work with obama

This post is not directed at anyone in this thread.

JSlayer211

That is quite possibly the most ignorant string of sentences I have ever seen put together. The point of balance is so that all "ways of thinking" are viable in their own areas of expertise. Not a one class beats all so everyone should use it kind of deal. In MW3 like 90% of people ran Blind Eye, Assasin, and Sitrep as they were easily the best combination of perks in the game. Why is it whenever someone points out a flawed system they are pegged as whiners? "O we are exploiting the system and you can too! So just shut up about it and let's all abuse the system!" How about you just fix the flawed system in the first place instead of exploiting the minorities. NVM, if you hate obama you are probably all about exploiting minorities.

BU773TPROOF

It has come and gone over time.

COD4 / Eavesdrop kind of

MW2 / Sitrep pro was a ninja counter

BO1 / Ninja pro was louder foot steps so no counter

MW3 / Sitrep pro was a DS counter (at 100%)

BO2 / Horrible sound made Ninja and Awareness usless perks.

Ghosts / Amplify (not 100%)

Using sound is a legit tactic, it can be used on the move as well.

nicedrewishfela

I agree that using sound is a legit tactic. That is why they put the sounds in the game. I use sound quite a bit, which is the bigger reason I use DS. I like to hear ambient sounds.

To me, Amplify is just taking something that is there for everyone to use and Maximizing it to the point of abuse. Footsteps are louder in this game than they ever have been before.  DS gives players No Advantage other than having quieter footsteps. It doesn't reveal enemy location. It doesn't provide intel to your team. It just allows players the chance at having the element of surprise on the unaware.

Allowing users to hear footsteps louder and more clearly provides a distinct advantage and shifts the balance of the game. I know it can be used on the move... I've tried it. And it is truly ridiculous. It is basically the equivalent of having a Permanent SatCom or VSAT as it reveals the location of anyone moving in the area.

Here is how I think it should work, personally. Amplify doubles the radius in which the user can hear footstep sounds.Thus, it should also double the effect of any tacticals used on them.  Think about it... if you can hear twice as well, then a Flashbang/Concussion/9 Bang etc should last twice as long. Fair counter. Dead Silence Users aren't actually completely silent as we all know. Can hear the user's footsteps, quieter but still discernible. Amplify users should be able to hear that as well in close proximity. I think the key should be ambient sounds, personally. Unaware DS users who make drastic moves... like knee-sliding, mantling, running across broken glass or falling too far would create those ambient sounds (things like gear rattle, the crunch of a boot on glass, the sound of boots hitting the ground, etc). Amplify users would have to be aware enough to listen for and to recognize these sounds. DS users would have to aware enough to know that these actions could reveal their location.

That, to me, would be balance. As it is now... all Amplify users need are standard issue ears.

Tactics74

It's balanced the way it is.. I think amplify just needs to be a little less effective on players that are not using DS. One perk should never be a must have and it is.

Tactics74

Forget blocking doorways, or blocking teammates into corners.. the new YT troll is just run along with them without Dead Silence equipped- hopefully this will encourage IW to change footstep sounds and/or Amplify. 

StubbornLeech07x

Dead Silence and Amplify are on all my classes.  With how loud IW makes footsteps I don't see how you wouldn't use Dead Silence all the time. I cannot count the number of times I have been killed because of a teammates footsteps.

banned-again

if thats the case everyone should use blind eye aswell specially if you going to be running around next to me

filthy3627

I love this thread. I am so sick of tired of people saying that if you use D.S. you have no gun skill. In my eyes it has nothing to do with that. I call it playing smart. If you are running around sounding like a clydesdale, and someone knows where you are at, all the gun skill in the world can't keep you from getting shot in the back. Even if a player doesn't have amplify on, which I don't really use amplify all that much, I can hear just fine with my headset to be lucky enough not to need it, they can still hear you from half way across the map. Drew is right, if you are not using D.S., unless you are playing at a distance, you are doing it wrong. I am not saying that you can't be good without it, just that the game kind of forces you to use it. I play FFA a lot, and it is a death sentence not to use it in there. I never play Search, but I kind of feel bad for the legit Search players as there is really no true way for stealth unless you crouch walk everywhere, which I personally refuse to do. D.S. and Sitrep are probably the 2 most useful tools in this game, and I for one, never enter a lobby without them. Happy New Years guys. Peace.

KINGxLUCITO

I dont use it, and never thought about using it. I'll give it a try, but if I dont notice

any improvement or little improvement than I'll do without it.

On another hand, doesn't crouching while moving lower the sound of footsteps?

Maybe Im just trippin. :/

titansfan2104

I  agree I hate running with a team that no one uses ds. I would rather my team use it for the simple fact I don't have to hear them sounding like a herd of buffalo. Its horrible listening to a whole team run around without it. People keep saying to nerf the sound perks but if they do that they might as well just take them out and in that case there Is an argument that every perk should be taken out because they all have counters. Some players just get mad when a certain playstyle kills them. That  Is why there are so many perks and guns in the game, change your setup or keep getting killed. You have campers , run n gun , sound whores and many other  things people complain about but there is a way to beat all of it. I myself Dont like campers , well a whole team of them. When a whole team spawns and backs up into corners I suffer but they usually win so I can't complain as it Is how they play and im not one to tell them how to play just to suit my needs and help me  build my stats. For all the people complaining about play style and perks need to get a life  and learn to beat the guys they don't like. Teamwork and a full party  is the best way to win in this game

rewind247

i run dead silence on all my classes.

Lucent76

My first squad point purchase for every class. When you don't use it that's when you really notice what a difference it  makes. Without it you might as well have a big flashing neon sign n the mini map for all to see.

ukscorpz

Please don't - I like using stampeding buffalo team mates as bait!

phxs72

Personally I find using DS to be like getting Amplify for free.  The footstep sounds are so good in this game if my own footsteps aren't mucking things up, I can hear the enemy quite clearly as I flank around them.

bigjon00

i hate that i have to use DS on every class to get anywhere , i hate the perk but im forced to use it . this game is or the players are all clones .. same setup as everyone else .

ShocKuMzzz

Dead Silence is a must. Only class I don't have it on is my sniping class, because of the influx of other perks I need for sniping. Also, if you're using Turtle Beaches, you have such an advantage in this game.

WhyNoName

DS is on all my classes.  I recently began using the astro a40s and at times, I just feel bad for the stompers.  Headsets even help you hear people with DS as it is not really DS...  If you run DS, run with headsets (any good gaming pair will work) and Amplify.  You will not believe how much those 2 perks and 1 piece of hardware affects this game...

rankismet

TG-ThoMz wrote:

Dead Silence not only prevents the enemy team from knowing exactly where you are.. it also does not give away your teammates position if you are near them.

If you are a new player, you can unlock Dead Silence with squad points (not sure how many). So please do so as it's not only helps you but also your team!

Thanks and Happy New Year!

TBH... you can use your loud friend to your advantage.

DS is useful on certain maps in certain situations... but I also like having the other team hear my footsteps echoing like the wrath of God.