1 2 3 Previous Next 190 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2014 2:43 PM by fasnakes RSS

I Remember when all this was fields... The Forums and community

maccabi

Not so long ago in a forum not so far away,a great redesign took place...

*Disclaimer to save me constantly having to write the words "with the utmost of respect" can we just assume this entire post implies that, as I know I am about to ruffle a few feathers.

I am not making this post to *****, far from it I hold these forums and the people involved in them from both sides in the highest of respect. These forums and by default this website is something I hold quite dear to me for a number of reasons. Some of my closest friends nowadays I met from these forums,I've seen forum members rise in the community off the back of these forums be it their standing in the community and or in some cases as a stepping stone into careers in the gaming industry. This website and forums are enshrined into the CoD community and it's that community aspect I want to talk about.

The CoD HQ used to be THE community hub for all things Call of Duty, I'm sure like me you fondly remember the late great and often lamented Charlie Oscar Delta and old Infinity ward forums and wonder at times like me, where did it all go wrong?

We used to have a thriving very active and loyal community here on the forums which has slowly diminished over time. There are numerous reasons for this some of the main ones  I'll get into as this post goes on.

But It does sadden me that considering Call of duty has one of the largest player bases ,we also have one of the worst community hubs and by extension community interactions on the official websites for any game. I won't name names here but you only have to look at certain other games and see how they have invested in community engagement and then look at what we have ( the forums and this website) and well you get the idea.

From a business standpoint (publisher)  imo engaging and creating brand loyalty is worth more than spending x amount of dollars on some A list celeb to appear in your tv spot. It has always irked me that while the game devs thrive and use feedback from the players and community , the community/web side  aspects of Call of Duty are for the most part devoid of any feedback .

In fact I tried racking my brain earlier to think of when we have actually engaged in direct feedback with this site and the only two times I could remember - There was a post about upcoming changes to the forums when they changed to this horribad CMS and there was a couple of posts about the changes the " forum missions" and both times the majority of the feedback was negative - especially the forum missions as they were the final straw and have caused more issues for a lot of the forum  .. and herein lies one of the fundamental issues with this site imho - Since the glory days of Charlie Oscar Delta this site has seemingly at times gone out of it's way by design or decisions to actively put people off visiting and using it and shut down any and all community engagement aspects. to the extent where long time forumites have migrated away.

Yes the forums are still pretty active, but if you look at what sort of posts and content we have nowadays (off topic excluded) compared  to what content used to get posted. We used to have great discussions (and yes our fair share of heated disagreements) about aspects of the games, about canon and generally posts that showed a more positive aspect of our community.

Now it seems the majority of the topics are negative in nature and support focused (more on this later) . Ironically the one thing that did bring people onto the site and was imo a good first step into making this a proper community hub that tied into the games more was Elite. which has now gone the way of the dodo. Elite had a lot of flaws but what it did do well was drive people to the site honestly whoever made the final decision to nix Elite in favor of the less than user friendly and function/content lacking app really misunderstood what Elite bought to the website table.

Since the days of Charlie Oscar Delta we have seen the rise of other forms of social media , twitter, youtube , reddit and a whole host of other Cod Community sites. People have migrated to these new fangled things and left the cod hq at times looking like the opening scene of a Sergio Leone spaghetti western .  But at some point you have to ask yourself why does the official Call of Duty forums run by the publisher with such huge resources have less activity and interaction than a forum run by a bunch of cod fans using a simple free forum script? . It doesn't make sense to me especially when you look at some of the other cod community forums and you see that the majority of the posts and content is of a postive nature, yes alot of this is due to the fact this is the official website so this is where people will aim to vent and will concede that point.

The answer to that is I think these forums at times suck.

We the users are to blame for one aspect of this (and i take full responsibility for my share of doing this) we do at times jump into threads to argue or berate someone. How many of us still actually make new threads and try to start discussions of a more positive nature ?not many of us right ? (off topic excluded you guys maybe fruit bat crazy whackjobs but you keep the ethos of a forum going ).

The forums themselves are not user friendly at all, and I have lost count of the number of times we have highlighted issues that make using them about as much fun as going for a root canal when the dentist has run our of Novocaine. It does seem at times the webteam goes out of it's way to make the forums as un-user  friendly as possible, over the months since we have had this cms nearly every basic function found on any forum has been removed or broken and not fixed, or made so convoluted and annoying to use I just ignore them (which is why people may notice I hardly ever reply to pms any more)

. Firstly we lost all our rankings while some may not really understand why this was and is still a major bugbear for some us. There is nothing on the forums now to signify those of us who have been here and by default supported the forums for years. It was a status a lot of us wore with pride, rewarding loyalty is something enshrined in all cultures, be it a different icon on a forum or a golden watch when you retire. I took the removal of our ranks (for some of us the second time it happened due to the switch over to the new cms) as basically as a big F U from the web team. I don't give two hoots I have a number 3 next to my name it's meaningless, Whereas " member since " or a rank or medal (nod to the charlie oscar delta system)  shows someone on the forums how long that person has been here, again people may not take this as a big thing but to a lot of us it is.

The latest change of the forum missions is a classic example of everything that is currently wrong with the forums and I honestly wish some of them were removed.

The forum missions have also caused an unforeseen side effect.... and I am going to chose my words very carefully now as I have already been warned about going down this route but it needs addressing...

The support forum has major issues ,by giving missions involving the support forum we have reached a point where many of us are clashing with AtviAssist, sometimes daily basis. The continual locking of threads by certain AtviAssist people and marking their answers as correct AFTER we have posted the same answer earlier is really annoying us. Its disrespectful to us and when someone is trying to gain new ranks its a slap in the face and makes us not want to do the one thing we have managed to continually do for years and that is actually help people when they come on here looking for answers.

This goes further than that though and goes back squarely into my point about attracting people to these forums and why we are losing people. As I said earlier nowadays people come to these forums for two main reasons to voice their opinions/discuss the game and to ask for support. From a end users point of view there is nothing worse than asking for assistance only to be given a stock copy and pasted answer that doesn't actually help or address the issue . By then locking the thread as soon as the stock answer is given there is no means for the poster to reply if they have a follow up question or the issue isn't resolved. It comes across as bad customer service and very impersonal at times.

Don't get me wrong here I have a lot of respect for anyone who works in a csr role in the gaming industry and I appreciate Atviassist  has guidelines to follow but if you cannot see why this is an issue someone really needs to look at the way you interact with the community, especially on here.

At times it does seem like you guys on here are given targets to reach on how many threads you reply to, as we have witnessed some really peculiar behavior for example bringing a two or three week thread up from the depths of the forums and answering it, or dragging an old support question from the main forums into the support forums and answering it even though there has been numerous correct answers and solutions offered by forum members already.

End of the day we are all trying to do the same thing and that is to assist someone who comes onto the forums with an issue. While AtviAssist may not have the time nor inclination to spend time helping the community, some of us do and would like the opportunity to be able to so again. There is nothing more annoying for me than seeing someone come onto the forums seeking advice only to see a few minutes later that thread locked with a copy and pasted reply usually to a woefully flawed and unhelpful guide.

We the forum users who do actually care should really make more of an effort not to turn seemingly every post nowadays into a slanging match (again I hold my hands up here) One of the reason I know a lot of the "old skool" left was the heavy handed moderation and punishments dished out due to stuff we posted, and yes I'll be honest there was a time when Foxhound  was sending me to the naughty step more often than I was posting. But there is rules in place and the mods whether or not they agree with what we post or our opinions have to uphold those rules. I have mucho respect that has grown over the years for all the mods as they have a really tough job to do and we need at times to be reminded of the rules

We all  should really do more to try to encourage traffic back to the site with content that acts as a good positive discussion and a good community resource. I've seen a few posts recently like this and we should encourage stuff like this and this is where the forum missions assuming they continue as they seem to have died off should be focusing more imo.

the tl;dr version, we ALL need to make this site the community hub again, the webteam need to work with us to improve this site oh and we need to stop being douchebags to each other..

• 1. Re: I Remember when all this was fields... The Forums and community
    Lylat-Wars

Tbh the only way to get a better Forum is to simply not buying further games from Activision. Money is the only word they can undersand.

It can't be THAT hard to get a official website from Ghosts to manage my clan. No, I need a APP to interact. Which really doesn't work smooth by the way. This Forum here also is REALLY unclear and needs a overall update.

I'm not bashing, I like Ghosts, but it's poor to see that this big company can't get a better Forum and a normal website for Ghosts. The only way to change anything is: don't buy this game.

• 2. Re: I Remember when all this was fields... The Forums and community
    simonm

agreed , and agreed that this site needs an overhaul again to make it more user friendly .

• 3. Re: I Remember when all this was fields... The Forums and community
    capp00

I, too, visit the forums a lot less frequently than I used to. It used to be a fun place to banter, have some awesome discussions and whatnot.

Agreed on the ranking. That's one reason I haven't been coming back as much too. Felt I was stripped of 4+ years of contributions. So many threads and posts I jumped on to try and help users, educate users, what-have-you. And yes I've partaken in a few threads where my opinion on a particular type of player got a little more vocal than it should have.

I've had a couple of threads I posted, asking a specific question or offering a suggestion I thought could improve the game, only to see someone respond with something not-related, ATVISupport replay to that person, mark it as the official answer and then close the thread. And when I re-post a thread that was closed with no answer, it gets removed.

Mac, you are one person I befriended through these forums. And several others. It's how I came to know 4RUM. But that just doesn't happen anymore.

There isn't much "support" on the support forums. Suggestions get hijacked/closed. Rinse/Repeat threads about negative slandering of the game fill the main page.

And keeping track of what you've done should require going to an inbox every time someone replies.

• 4. Re: I Remember when all this was fields... The Forums and community
    dtuchpunk

Agreed.

The community managers only do stuff on twitter with lmg players or big youtubers.

The regular players which come to this site are the backbone of COD.

I came to this site in the WaW days. The missions/ribbons where mostly things you had to do ingame.

When I became active on the forum we could have great discussions about map design, weapons etc.
    We could even make troll threads about something being OP just to let the complainers see that you can make everything OP when it clearly isn't.

These days most threads are complain threads and the support section is well not supported good.

• 5. Re: I Remember when all this was fields... The Forums and community
    FalconR6

Very well said mac. I'll keep it short - as it's time for zzzzzzs. Improvements for the forum site team wise are needed. If the site team have been watching, there has been plenty of discussion about user friendliness. I think us forumers can also take a bit of responsibility to create threads that promote positivity and construction. I know compared to the vets I'm still a greenhorn - but I would like to have more warmness and banter. I want to hear constructive opinions rather than 'I don't like this'. If we promote good discussion, it will be mirrored by those who join the fold.

Salute

• 6. Re: I Remember when all this was fields... The Forums and community
    KC135R

"with the utmost of respect"

Ha! It's in the geneva convention look it up! Sorry, everytime I hear that I think of Ricky Bobby.

Anyway, agree 100%. I started coming here to ask questions and to also see if others were have the same issues. BUT this is just like the games, there are one sided people here that are not here to help but to argue and cut people down. You see that everytime you make a suggestion. Suggestion "This would be really nice to have " response "why should they change the game because you suck and cant play it. Go play BF".

Huh?? Ok sorry I said anything.....

I do try and respond in a helpful manner because it is a game and it isn't real! I was in the military trust me!

• 7. Re: I Remember when all this was fields... The Forums and community
    iHattoriHanzo0

Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

Maccabi Slams Activision Forums for Impersonalization and Lack of Positivity

paperboy.jpg

Great post, great read.

Couldn't agree more although I do still find myself stooping to low levels to combat the muck and grime of feedback. I've also found being a forum buffoon my salvation in a dire time of negativity here in the forums.

So basically if Activision doesn't hire you as a forum consultant, we all see the bigger agenda Activision has here.

• 8. Re: I Remember when all this was fields... The Forums and community
    ChestSplittah

*static*....Everyone should have known I'd show up. Thank you Macc for bringing this thread to light.

1st: Feedback,  interaction with the Community should (IMO) be taking place on the OFFICIAL website of the publisher for the developers game.. NOT ON A "These are my words not my employers" app. Macc, Capp, myself, iif0xii, and the few other Forumites (<~ MY CREATION..shall I step into the way back machine and grasp the thread where I came up with it?)  that participated in the *Title Update Thread** with G IH A IN ID II knows that is interactive. The man himself brought ethics, passion, desire, honesty back to the community. I will say with all honesty and deep down sorrow... This what is happening now is a disservice to YOUR FORMER BOSS!! That man sat for hours, page after page, post after post, disrespectful remark after remark.. (I had my go, and he personally PM'd me and said that he understood where I was coming from, but I may need to take a step back and compose myself.. Which I did and I highly agreed with him and appreciate all of his concern for us). G compiled 2000+ posts (on his 1st account) interacting with the Community on that thread. Seeking info, no matter the console, or location in the world.

2nd: Site destruction,  this place is horrid. The profile menu sucks. The *Great Migration of 2011* was bad I thought, but for goodness sake... This is pathetic. 6 years. ..6 years. .. This is what I get to see this progress to?!?! Is this not a militaristic FPS? I'VE posted for at least 3 years in the Site Feedback section. "Can we get more rank avatars? It almost seems as though a frequent someone suggested "No" to the powers that be, just to douse any hope.. for some kind of sick enjoyment. Or either they are just trying to run off all the Officers of CoDHQ.. so they can have these new guys look to them.

You can look at what I call "Militia" sites, and they have what was about the best thing and should be for this type of game feature. A RANKING SYSTEM FOR ACTIVITY. Those of us that remember... reported everyday. Some of us can remember making to a certain rank and only using that rank, showing our flag, show off what background we earned, doing missions for ribbons, how many years you have been around, etc. It gave us a sense of worth, prestige,  reporting to our sectors of the world Xbox Empire, FSPS (Federal States of PlayStation), Wiibilly Territories,  OffTopic Outlands, Zombie Gulag...

¤Back on topic¤ We all couldn't wait to get here, join up with who we knew would be here, see what topic was still going when we went to sleep or work, etc. The cleansing of certain Sectors hasn't helped..Nor will I get into that.

Now we have 1,2 and so on. Has this site really degraded itself to teaching people how to count?!!

So in short... WHAT, is CoD known for? Prestige, Activity, Ranking. Plain and simple.

WHAT, was CharlieOscarDelta, W@WCoDHq, Black Ops CoDHQ remembered for, Ranking, Prestige,  Activity. We no longer have that. The fact that they took away what would generate activity, whether keeping people active ingame, on here, and onwards is what is wrong. They all in all destroyed the usability of this site.

P.S. (This is not directly or indirectly to you, cousin.) Anyone can say what they want about OT. Ever wonder why that Section has the best discussions, longest discussions, seemingly the most "knowledgeable" about the *Glory of CoDHQ*? It is the last stronghold of the Veterans,  and the last bastion of this place's former glory. OT and a few staunch Vets from the other territories are all that is left to keep what used to be in the now, and forever.

Sad really. ...

*static* esmorgue...out *static*

• 9. Re: I Remember when all this was fields... The Forums and community
    ghamorra

I remember when a Dev came on the Black Ops II forum and how harshly the community reacted. There were a select few people who engaged in thoughtful conversation and then there were probably 20 others who had asterisks filled posts. This community is not mature, we all see this on a regular basis. When posts discussing strategy and concepts around the game are made they fall quickly to the bottom in favor of "this games is $#!*" threads.

I don't know how the CoD community was 5 years ago. I joined during the first Black Ops. But even then I remember how simple the forum was. There weren't 8 forums and the mods were frequent visitors making themselves not only known but a part of the community. They may be normal people but they still contributed to threads with their own ideas. Now where are they?

1 2 3 Previous Next