46 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2014 11:05 AM by Wistle RSS

Not playing to win

iamyourfather

Yesterday i joined into a match where i am on a nice win streak. It's currently me and a clanmate verse an entire clan. They are talking **** since they were with an entire team and it was just me and my friend; we start the game and i we take a nice 25 point lead because my friend got a loki within the first 50 seconds of the game. After this he and i maintained a near 2 kd for the rest of the game, but my entire team except my friend werent going for the flags, they werent even defending our homebase flag. They were doing nothing. Before i finally left my friend had 9 caps and i had 12 with each 50 + kills. BTW i dashboarded. They send me a message saying that i was fake and all my stats are fake since i dashboarded. I responded saying im not going to stay in a game where there are only 2 capturing flags.

Is it just me or is fine to leave a game; dash boarding or just simply leaving when the game is basically 2 vs 6. I think its perfectly fine, but let me know if you have different approaches. BTW we did a 4 vs 4 match against them later in dom on several maps and beat them every time the closest they got was 200-137. Also we did not use the cod sports rules.

• Re: Not playing to win
    Sledgehammer23248

i don't like dashboarding period.  i can't think of any good reason to dashboard.  if there is lag, then i back out and go to the next lobby.  what purpose does dashboarding serve?  because i'm seriously not sure what benefits there are to dashboarding...

just do what you can with what you got.  this happens to me all the time.  i typically play solo and go for the win, but if the rest of my team is not capturing flags then i go for kdr.

iamyourfather

Dashboarding is in this game nothing counts. The loss doesnt count kd doesnt count. Im very competitive, and i dont like unfair matches. If you beat me i want it to be a fair match in personnel. And i will accept these losses and i will take all the **** they give me because they beat me fair and square, but thats not the case in this situation, imo.

admunday

iamyourfather wrote:

Dashboarding is in this game nothing counts. The loss doesnt count kd doesnt count. Im very competitive, and i dont like unfair matches. If you beat me i want it to be a fair match in personnel. And i will accept these losses and i will take all the **** they give me because they beat me fair and square, but thats not the case in this situation, imo.

The reality is, people who dashboard because they have poor 'personnel' on their side, never dashboard when those players are on the other side, despite that equally being unbalanced.

They just stomp them then feel uber about false win streaks.

Sledgehammer23248

so if you have an unfair advantge against the other team, do you count that win?  or do you dashboard to not count those stats?

it's a no lose-lose question, i'm also extremely competitive, that's why if i have no chance of winning the match when it's 6-1, i attempt to up my kdr and become a annoying fly on the wall and i have fun with it in a competitive way.

dashboarding like you do just makes me not take your stats seriously... as in i don't think you're as good as your stats say you are. 

iamyourfather

I understand what you are saying, but im thinking of the point of view as the losing side. Me, personally, wouldnt care if a couple players dashboard if they were the only 2 playing the objective. Kd doesnt mean anything; my kd could be around 5 without dash boarding, but in return i would never play the objective. KD is solo stat, WL is a team stat. Toland, coming from the tdm standpoint, im sure almost everyone on your team wanted you to quit, just saying. The objective in TDM is to get kills and not die. The objective in DOM is get captures and hold the flags as long as possible, and since my team didnt do captures there is no point of staying. Its just wasting my time, if they wanted to get kills instead whatever let them stay, but im not going to suffer from there solo minded playstyle. I know my stats arent completely legit. I'll be the first to say so. Puertorican guy, i 100% agree with you, and thankyou for understanding even though you might not agree with my reasons since you never really said.

TOLAND

That's cool if you don't agree with me.  If you are playing for fun, I'm fine with that.  It's what I do as well.  But, can I ask a few questions?

Have you ever been annoyed at joining hopeless matches in the last minute?

Have you ever been annoyed at having full lobbies at the start of the match and looking up two minutes in and seeing you now have three teammates?

Have you ever been annoyed at those three empty slots not getting filled?

Have you ever been annoyed when you are having a really good game and you get a host migration?

Have you ever been annoyed by lag?

If you have, then you have to realize that dashboarding either causes, or exacerbates all of these issues.  And when lots of people do it, lot's of problems with the network happens.  From a playability standpoint, your dashboarding causes more time to be wasted by everyone than you will save.  There are enough normal problems with playability that we players shouldn't make worse by not simply finishing the match.  It's in your own interest time-wise to do this.  Back out of the lobby then, if you want, but there is also another reason that you should stay sometimes.  Here's why.

My first match last night was my first MP match since the first day the gane came out.  I have been playing Squads because it's new and kind of interesting.  But, I've have been playing COD for a very long time and I know what I'm doing.  I play best when I get used to the lobby.  How my teamates are going to act and how my enemies are going to act.  Doesn't matter what game mode.  I play whatever I feel like that night.  I wish I could play Headquarters, but it's not in this one.  Keeping lobbies together makes for better, quicker games that are more fun.  If you keep lobby hopping, I think you miss out.  I may have had a hard time in the first match, but I knew that I would get my rhythm down and I did by the end.  I didn't have a negative game the rest of last night, was in the top three most times, and won 80% percent of the matches.  So, judging a player by a half a match doesn't really reflect what that player can actually do.  That's why I don't quit and don't want others to quit.  Everyone has a bad match from time to time.

All this goes back to playability for everyone.  I'm not asking you to agree with me, all I'm asking is to think about it and ask yourself if your dashboarding is doing more harm than good.

Peace

TOLAND

Quiting is quiting.  Plain and simple.

My first game last night, I went 3-12 in TDM.  I started out 0-11 and just couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.  I haven't played a match that bad in years and, yep, I was embarrassed, but I didn't quit on my team.  Did I lose the game for everybody?  Yep, I blew chunks.  Said my apologies and went positive the rest of the night, winning most games and being in the top three mostly.

The thing I am proudest of from last night was that I didn't quit.  Because believe me, the rage was building.

If you dashboard once, you've probably done it a hundred times, so no I wouldn't view your stats as legitimate.  In my mind, your winning streak ended last night no matter what the leaderboards say.

Sometimes the truth is harsh.

Peace

puertoricanguy9

i feel ur pain..last night i got into a lobby where one guy had no caps and he went 45-8 and we lost...i went 11-14 with 6 caps..we could of won the game...we had the lead but the enemy team took 2 flags and no one wanted to help to cap...i think more people would play the obj if infinity ward changes the point streak system to give everyone who caps a point to the point streak instead of only to the 1st guy who hops on the flag

EJKHunter

In most regards I completely agree with you, if you're being hammered and flat out beat, stick it out and take your licks.. that's how you become better. If you're dragging your whole team down, however, that's basically the same as drunk driving your car full of buddies into an oncoming big rig because you are presently having an issue - in my mind though they are vastly different in logical terms, it amounts to the same thing in terms of what sort of person you are. I will never drag my team into a sore loss just because, for whatever bloody reason, I am playing like crap that night.. or just perhaps that game. If I see I am literally the only, or at least primary, reason we're presently suffering an oncoming loss, it's my responsibility to back my ass out and sit quietly in a lobby in personal time-out until they finish and pick me back up (if they do). There have been many instances where I've had a horrible night and I glance at the match board to find I'm 2-15+ negative - at that moment I realize nobody else on my team is more than 3-5 negative, so I'm the only reason they're losing a match... I drop my ass back to the lobby to sit, they pick me up 5-6 minutes later, having WON what would have been a flat out loss otherwise. I played the part of a GOOD teammate and bailed out of that car and let someone sober take the wheel so only I was to suffer.

Now that's not always the case and on some of those I see I'm one of two or three fellow mates creating our lost match, and then I will completely change tactics and avoid primary confrontation - I'll play a more auxiliary role within the team to both give myself a couple extra kills and protect teammates, and drastically reduce the number of further deaths I acquire lol

But like I say, if you're the only reason causing a team to lose, you need to walk your ass out of that game and sit alone in a lobby for a bit - take a breather, a little break, but don't for one minute think anyone on your team is going to appreciate having you around when the only reason they're losing is you're playing like crap on that chosen day. To me, the best team member is the one who recognizes the problem and takes steps to resolve it quickly, competitive or not. PERIOD.

nicedrewishfela

Never OK unless RL intercedes or your own connection makes the game unplayable.

You played a Team game with only one team member. You were bested by a full squad. You are blaming your teammates a lot, and maybe that is deserved, but one has to wonder if you were communicating effectively with them and letting them know where they needed to be. If you were, my sympathies are with you, I have been there many times.

But no, it isn't OK to back out. You do the best you can, wish the other team a good game, and then find another lobby where you may have more useful teammates.

rankismet

iamyourfather wrote:

BTW i dashboarded. They send me a message saying that i was fake and all my stats are fake since i dashboarded.

Yeah... they were right, too.

Just sayin'.

__LT__

iamyourfather wrote:

BTW i dashboarded. They send me a message saying that i was fake and all my stats are fake since i dashboarded.

Yeah... they were right, too.

Just sayin'.

• DITTO!!

There is no way in hell anyone in this game will have a 5+ kdr "IF" they NEVER dashboard..i dont care how good you are.

OUHATEME

So instead of taking your lumps you dashboard and take away everyone's stats for the game. Especially when there is a leave game option right there I take the way You describe it as not being able to take it but can dish it. If you lets say had five stellar games in a row and someone on the otherside dashboarded each one of them I have a feeling your post would have a different tone to it . I have backed out of games for various reasons but never dashboarded.... Before anything gets said when I join a game in progress I use the spectate option if it's out of hand I back out without ever really joining...

Tactics74

My opinion is that public matches are just for fun. That doesn't mean that I goof of in every one, but there are times where I am in the match but i'm not really playing. For example, sometimes i'll stop and answer texts or phone calls, or even just help my GF do something.. I hate folding clothes btw.

I see post's like this and I actually reminds me that there are players out there that take these public matches seriously like there is something on the line or they have something to prove..

Let me inform you guys that are out there.. NO ONE CARES HOW GOOD YOU ARE. Well, maybe some 14yr old kid thinks your a god cause you got a gold gun.. but he also thinks Sponge-Bob is awesome so what does that tell you?

If you think you are good than there are plenty of ways of playing matches that ACTUALLY mean something. There are clan wars, private scrims and GB's. If you're not playing in one of these, then it doesn't matter at all if you win or lose- that's why pubs are open to everyone and all skill levels...

Now stop being so insecure go have fun please.

NoLifeKing32

You could be on a 50 win streak and not having dashboarded once and it doesn't mean a single thing. So if your stats are completely irrelevant, why dashboard?

nuttin2say

The OPs mistake was dashboarding. It's no problem for you to leave if you feel the game is unfair. But whether or not it is fair is subjective to personal opinion. The objective measure is far less complicated: you surrendered. Doesn't matter why. You surrendered and a surrender is a loss. Period. End of conversation.

Dashboarding is your personal implementation of rules. It is arbitrary and therefore not fair.

ICamp4Streaks

i dont like playing the objective because it ruins your K:D........ that's why i just camp in buildings and get 60+ games.

WNSA

I have zero respect for dashboarders. You had the opportunity to back out before the match started, knowing very well who you were facing and who would be on your team. If you're the host and dashboard EVERYONE in that game gets a loss, except the one who dashboarded. If you dashboard your stats are fake and you're no better than the randoms on your team.

iivrruummii

Should have taken the loss like a man.  I have lost many games where I was 30+ kills in TDM and we lost by 10+ didn't quit or dashboard.  Not that I hardly lose but when I do it is normally not deserved or just random luck.  Maybe 10 out of my 70 losses were legit.  About 30 of my losses are from the host Dashboarding.  The other ones were mainly just random luck in TDM, where someone gets a lucky Heli Pilot from a care package, or in SND where someone gets a luck clutch with a Dog. 

There really is no fix for the bad teammate crisis of COD, but a Skill Based Ranking System will help.

zingaa

Everyone in this thread has backed out or raged quit at some point, so don't be hypocritical. But to rage quit because your the only player capturing is kind of silly, I've been in hundreds of games where players are k/d whoring or not capturing and I'm the only one capturing, I've had hundreds of games where I've had more captures then my entire team, it doesn't make me rage quit.

OUHATEME

if you read my post I admitted backing out. Backing out was not the issue it is dashboarding. Backing out everyone keeps there stats and you get a loss for backing out for whatever reason. several otherd in this post have stated backing out as well. I can say that I have never dashboarded. There is nothing hypocritical about that. if you read the op it was what people thought of dashboarding , not rage quitting backing out or anything else.

DemonHunter777

K/D never meant anything to me at first, but slowly the trash talk from a**holes wore me down. K/D ratio is all I care about now.

ZachAdkins

People like you are the type of people that I cringe at when my clan joins matches against other clans. I mean, say there are 3 of my clan members and 2 of yours. And my clan is exceptional and call-outs, we thrive on it, and it's just you and your buddy/clan member who are good but doesn't give a correct call-out coordinately.

So; DOM on Stormfront, we take first base flags, we have 1 guy that flanks and 1 guy who rushes your base flag and 1 guy who goes for B. I die at B but get the cap because we had more people there but your buddy snipes me. I call-out 'Sniper in Highrise'. We now have flags AB or BC. I will float my ass around B to make sure you don't get it, and I guarantee so does my clanmates unless we see a good push from your team.

Now; half-way through the game B flag has been tossed back and forth but it is still in my team's hands, and we continue to hold for most of the remainder of the game except for the random A or C flag take aways from a flanker. And at 3/4 way through the game we have 175-93 (just for example) and you yourself has a lot of caps or brokens with a good solid 1.3-1.7k/d

Would you dashboard, quit, or continue and quit in the lobby.

(Note: This isn't based off of a real situation just a situation you could come across in. Like it has with me and a few members. I've only dashboarded a few times in my life of playing CoD, rage-quit more than anything if I'm that pissed, but usually stay til the end. Like others have said, if they cannot successfully win the game by the correct means then they will try to just get kills which I will also do from time to time.)

Thanks.

iamyourfather

In this situation i would probably stay since you are saying a clan of 3 and a clan of 2. My problem was 2 vs 6.

rankismet

iamyourfather wrote:

In this situation i would probably stay since you are saying a clan of 3 and a clan of 2. My problem was 2 vs 6.

In all honesty... your problem is you're a quitter.

Not just a quitter... a dashboarder.

And your stance on dashboarding basically washes out any salient points you might make.

You call out people for supposedly not playing the objective... and then quit. Then make excuses for quitting. I wouldn't go out of my way to help you win... because I know that if I need to count on you... you would quit.

Harsh? Maybe.

But honest.

DalekonDrugs

I have been in your situation and I hate it too in a unfair game, but I will simply stick to the bitter end and accept the loss and do you know why sir? It feels good to give them such a good game against such odds and it makes you feel better if you stick at it, yes they may insult you and call you bad but secretly they are awful and need to play in teams and need to rely on teammates you should be proud to give them a good game but if you dashboard then you are much worse think about it and use your brain sir.

phxs72

The point of dashboarding is to protect your stats.  There is no other reason for doing it.  You can try and rationalize that you didn't deserve the loss but at the end of the day you are the one that thought that you could carry your team with only one friend to help.  So you rolled the dice and you were wrong about that.  Granted the other guys did you no favors by not playing the objective.  I don't feel the least bit sorry for them that you left the match but dashboarding to do it serves no purpose but to inflate your stats.  I have yet to understand why someone would be so wrapped up in their stats that they would go out of their way to make themselves look better than they really are.  But to each his own.

I'll tell you a little story about how hapless teammates don't always mean that you will lose.  I'm not going to pretend that they don't often mean that you will lose but maybe you'll see my point at the end.  Myself and one of my clan mates joined a KC match late one evening up against a 6 man clan.  My team was getting slaughtered.  Quite frankly they couldn't shoot their way out of a wet paper bag but they were trying.  We lost that match but we stuck around for the next one anyway.  In the next match my team still couldn't buy a kill but I and my clanmate could.  So we rushed the other team with everything that we had.  We killed and got killed a lot but what was different this time was that when we fell, the other guys were right behind us cleaning up the tags and the few damaged enemies that were left.  It was a close match but in the end we won by 2 or 3 tags.  Now you might say that your win streak is just too valuable to give up but if you do then you'll never know the satisfaction of pulling out a win against all odds.  Sometimes you just have to see it through.  I know I'd much rather have the satisfaction of winning a hard fight than have a win streak that only exists because I dashboarded to keep it.