45 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2014 5:19 AM by zingaa RSS

Recent Patch

Fragexcel

Hello fellow CoD Players, just to start off with, I've played Call of Duty for a good 6 years now. I achieved 10th prestige a couple of days ago and I'm currently rank 84 in the world for cranked.

I'm enjoying this game up to now, but the recent patch (amplify vs dead silence) has caused mixed reactions throughout the community. I did in fact use Amplify and Dead Silence together. I thought this was a great aspect to the game and as an attacking player this helped me gain a clear advantage in the game. I can't help but be very unhappy with the way the perks now work together, i'm prepared for all the 'adapt to it' 'you lost your crutch' replies but I really couldn't care less. I play solo online most of the time, and using amplify and being able to hear enemies playing in a team helped me to carry the players on my team who were not so good at the game. The amplify perk was there for everyone to use, the only problem was that some players could use it better than others, this wasn't a problem because everyone should be able to accept that there will be a player better than them and they just have to change their play style. I can't help but feel this game is trying too hard to cater for the players who can't afford headsets, that being said, why harm the players who work hard for the money to improve their own gaming experience? Using amplify allowed me to position myself correctly to tackle enemies coming towards me, now it feels like a random battle when I turn a corner only to have 5 enemies sprinting toward me using dead silence.

The bottom line is not so good players will complain about anything that they can not use, whenever there is something someone else uses better they will complain until the creators give them their own way and the game becomes easier to play. I will continue to play this game, I will adapt as I realise footsteps will never be the way the creators intended. I'll accept anyones opinion, just wanted to vent mine. Happy gaming!

• Re: Recent Patch
    xxxharveystjockxxx

so what did they actually do to amplify?  How big a % reduction or whatever?

nicedrewishfela

Fragexcel wrote:

I did in fact use Amplify and Dead Silence together. I thought this was a great aspect to the game and as an attacking player this helped me gain a clear advantage in the game.     

You just explained why they made the change.

Fragexcel

And that advantage was available for anyone to use, Ive played against countless people using the combination and come out on top, it's just a case of being able to use it correctly.

nicedrewishfela

Then you should have no trouble adjusting.

BU773TPROOF

The two perks should cancel each other out, I like boosting weapons and perks no one likes not nerfing and changing ones people already like.

It makes no logical sense for dead silence to work the way it does.

1) Dead silence / should be completely silent to normal players, and heard at 100% by Amplify.

2) Amplify / Should hear players at 400% but only hear Dead silence players at 100%.

In my scenario when the players meet they have no advantage over each other. They meet as two perk less players in regard to sound.

I use both perks, I have been killed more by DS users lately but also killed more Amplify users lately, so its a wash, but that doesn't change the fact that its not balanced.

nicedrewishfela

And you can still hear DS users. So...?

BU773TPROOF

Its not about hearing them, its about the volume at which you hear them, its about what I described as logical balance that doesn't exist in this title.

Its about Dead silence having the edge out of the two, the edge neither perk should have.

nicedrewishfela

The balance wasn't there pre-patch, which is why they altered it. Not due to complainers, or whiners, or anything else.

The Balance was not there. Amplify was a ridiculously over-used perk and it needed to be balanced.

BU773TPROOF

So you disagree with my version of how the perks work. What is unbalanced about them cancelling each other out. What is unbalanced about hearing every-ones foot steps at the same volume.

You know what is unbalanced, not being able to counter dead silence 100%. Yet having amplify get countered over 100%.

Its logic, I like the game Im not saying, I hate it or Im going to stop playing. Im just being logical and seeing it for what it is.

trialstardragon

You comment on how it gave you a clear advantage is exactly why it was changed. it gave too much of an advantage in how it was working. Now it works as it should have.

Fragexcel

The difference is that now it doesn't work how it says, 'You can hear players using dead silence' is the perk description, yet you can only hear dead silence players when they're about to stab you in the back. Using ds and amplify together means you give up using other perks (quickdraw soh stalker etc) I never had a problem with players using amplify so I don't understand why the perk needed to be hit so hard.

TheDarkOne123

You can keep your overpowered Amplify if I can get a perk that allows me to see Amplify users through walls. Amplify was nothing more then a crutch it wasn't needed the game to begin with. I wouldn't have cared so much if Amplify and Dead Silence were like Sitrep Pro and Ninja in MW2 they actually cancelled each other out in MW3 and in this game the Amplify effect had no counter what so ever it was nothing more then a crutch that's all it was. If you can't handle both perks actually cancelling each other out then that's your problem cause I am glad I have a way to counter a perk that allows players to hear through seven layers of walls half way across the map. If Amplify only allowed amplified hearing in the same room it wouldn't have been a problem but it's more of a wall hack involving sound then an actual perk that's I think it's a crutch.

BU773TPROOF

Wall hacks are were you can see though walls, hearing through walls isn't the same as wall hacks. Orical is a wall hack. BTW both perks dont cancel each-other out, but your right they should.

Please dont say its just like a wall hack because its not even the same thing.

Fragexcel

So you think it's fair that a player using for say a shotgun who can't take people out at distance, has to run into an open building with no intel of how many players are in that building? being able to hear players never made you invincible, you could still lose gun battles just as easy. There's nothing 'crutch' about knowing where people are and making your decisions in game based on how many players you are about to contest against.

BU773TPROOF

Right now dead silence is overpowered, all I want is for the two perks to cancel each other out.

TheDarkOne123

There two things wrong with your little statement one what could the shotgun user hear if everyone is sitting still? Two I am pretty sure something that lets you detect all movement through walls and half way across the map would promote being stationary over being mobile. Amplify is nothing more then a crutch if you think otherwise then you need to learn how to look around it's that simple. Another thing about your shotgun statement how is a shotgunner suppose to flank someone if they already know he's coming?

Fragexcel

So if looking around helps you get kills, what do you do if you have jank connection and get shot first every time? I thought you guys were all for people being able to game without spending money to enhance their gaming experience? Getting good internet isn't cheap

TheDarkOne123

Getting good internet has nothing to do with Amplify and it's not a crutch. How would Amplify even help against latency? You make no sense if you can't see that Amplify is a crutch well it's probably because you are too use to it or you have your own agenda. They didn't nerf Amplify they only buffed Dead Silence so you didn't lose anything.

haloxcod

I just made my account to talk about bugs in extinction, but I read this and think I should say something. As someone who uses both amplify and dead silence I think they threw things out of wack. Amplify needs a buff to counter the buff that dead silence was given. The entire point of amplify is to negate the effects of dead silence, but even pre patch it never did that completely. It more or less made dead silence sound quieter than regular players which was fine, but now you can't hear them unless they are five feet away. Dead silence really overpowered and slowing down the game. The few campers or even some rushers who used to run amplify now running off the grid and camping seems to have gone up. Amplify being powerful increased the game speed because people could hear footsteps and player noise more often and move towards the action. It was never to the point where Amplify was overpowered. Now, it's to the point where it's useless. A lot of gunfights just result in two players meeting each other around the many corners that litter these maps and only benefit people with more favorable internet to lag compensation.

trialstardragon

Actually how it is now is how it was meant to be. AMP was never meant to be as loud as it was. It was only meant to make DS users be normal volume which is what it does.

haloxcod

Hmmm, but they were never normal volume. Compare two players without dead silence and amplify against a dead silence user. The dead silence boosted against two players using no perks so dead silence was already more powerful than amplify. Now, dead silence makes it so you can only hear from when an amplify user is right next to you and is useless. There was already a ton of game noise and teammates footsteps so it wasn't like amplify was overpowered in any way. In, MW2 Sitrep Pro vs Ninja Pro which Sit Rep completely negated Ninja Pro. Footsteps have never been this quiet for a DS user. I think even in Cod 4 it only made you 75% quieter. Now they are 100% silent to non amplify users and about 95% silent to amplify. It's ruined the entire balance of the perks and slowed down the game. If anything amplify could have used a buff without dead silence needing a buff, but I was fine where they put it because it was a medium that worked. Now, it's just completely broken and amplify desperately needs a buff.

trialstardragon

no it does not need a buff the only people that really want it buffed is the campers since not they cant just wait and listen to know when to move and fire. AMP was more of a campers tool than it ever was a rushers or flankers tool.

Actually you are wrong they are not 100% silent all the time. If they run over certain surfaces or fall from high distance they still  make sounds.

Fragexcel

The thing is it doesn't. Until you've used both perks for a considerable amount of time you'd realise how hard it's been hit. I don't hear guys with dead silence over the natural game noise (nades specials gunfire ambient game noise etc)

TheDarkOne123

How is Dead Silence overpowered? Oh no you can't hear them through seven layers of walls half way across the map whatever shall you do? It's called looking around bam the Dead Silence is countered right there. Looking around is free and it's so much easier then trying to listen for footsteps miles away. Amplify was never added in the game to counter Dead Silence that wasn't until MW3 when players started complaining that they were getting flanked too much. Amplify doesn't need a buff if it gets buffed then they need to make Sitrep see players who are using Amplify through walls. Funny you would think something that encourages movement again would make people wanna move again or are you just exaggerating for your own agenda?

nicedrewishfela

Exactly.

DS counters Footsteps. The counter to Dead Silence is being aware. Amplify is the only perk that counters..another perk. And boosts one of the senses.

DS may give the advantage of stealth... but Amplify pinpoints player position. I am glad it was addressed.

BU773TPROOF

Well it doesnt make deadsilece the same as normal player volume, how you discribe it should be the way it is.

TheDarkOne123

Before Dead Silence got patched I could hear Dead Silence users with out even trying then I would hear them rage. Basically they returned the balance back to MW2 which is the way it should been from the start. In MW2 Sitrep Pro countered Ninja Pro only because it allowed them to hear Ninja Pro not because they made Ninja Pro useless against Sitrep Pro which in Ghosts Dead Silence was not only countered by Amplify it was useless meaning they didn't cancel each other out instead Amplify only cancelled Dead Silence and that's what everyone's problem was with Amplify. Just be glad they didn't make Amplify useless you can still hear everyone so it's not like it even got a nerf. Amplify isn't even needed in the game to begin with it's a crutch nothing more. If Amplify should hear Dead Silence users through a bunch walls then I should be able to see Amplify users while I am using Sitrep so it can even the playing field.

brsox

Amplify gave players way too much of an advantage (as you mentioned). It really never should have been in the game. All it does is promote and reward camping. I am so glad this was patched.

MadHatter12

I guess in a round about way this is also my opinion on the recent patch. Camping is part of this game. However someone plays is their business since they paid the money to own the title. I just wanted to be clear on my overall opinion of "camping" before I go further. I dont let them bother me. Its just a game for Christ sake. But I have noticed in this title more so than past titles games seemingly go to the time limit quite a bit. Sometimes games go the time limit and the winning team barely has half the necessary points to even win the game. Is that really " tactical" or a bunch of guys hiding the entire game to beef up their stats? Sure its your dollar but that is booooring.  Are people so conscious of their kds that losing grasp on the games objectives becomes worth it? When I enter these lobbies I play out the round and leave promptly afterwards, no matter how well or poorly I have done. 

Lying prone in a choke point/ hot zone I consider tactical and I dont have much of a bad opinion on. Which honestly arent the guys who are upset by this patch. Amplify doesnt help ALL THAT much when constant bullets are flying around the screen and both teams are trying to occupy that area. Corner camping in order to reload or get that one last kill to obtain a killstreak is also alright in my opinion.

The campers that I take issue with are the same that use the headset/ Amplify to falsely glorify their precious KD ratios. When an entire team ( or majority) are hiding in corners way off the areas of traffic. Lying down in bushes, corners, coves, ect, the entire round. Placing down  IED's and listening for footsteps in a silent area, almost never moving. Or the guys who run to the nearest building and corner camp or hide behind/ underneath/ tables, ect, using this same technique. Once they do get gunned down they respawn run to the nearest building again then rinse and repeat. These are usually the guys who play KC or DOM  and finish 20-4 with no support ( limited Caps or tags)  towards your teams overall progress. but hey they had a great game and an impressive KD ratio. Unless you paid attention to the game and knew of their timid strategy. Anyone can do that if they found that playstyle enjoyable.

I know that there are probably many people who oppose this patch who arent those " frowned upon campers". I dont mean to lump everyone into some category. But odds are the majority of people upset who flourished using this technique are in fact that kind of player. Since the patch I have noticed a lot less people laying in rural parts of the map waiting for their easy prey. I have also noticed a lot less games going to the time limit.  Anything that speeds up the game to the point you actually have to win within the time limit is fine by me.

Fragexcel

I'm sorry but I disagree fully. Try playing a fast paced game mode against a GOOD team, you will realise that attacking is the best form of defending and they won't stay still. Just because Jimmypwnzn00bs killed you while sitting in the same corner he had been sat in since the game started while using amplify doesn't mean every player using the perk plays in that way. I've noticed more campers since the patch because people are scared to move, they feel they should check their back every 10 seconds because some guy rushing with a silent mtar will come from nowhere and spray them down. Wheres the tactic to that? Game may aswell just turn into a SMG biased game with everyone trying to flank eachother.

brsox

You need to be able to keep the fight in front of you. Use your brain to figure out where the enemies might be. I'm sorry that you cant carelessly headglitch in a window anymore with no worry of whats going on behind you.

cadotter

DS and Amplify together, ahhhhh the campers dream setup.  I'm glad they fixed this crap.

ZachAdkins

All I have to say is; I only use Dead Silence, been using it since way back when it was originally a perk. Back then I did GB and such and then it just became a perk I always ended up using, and I use TB X12s, with my X12s I don't even need Amplify and I can hear people pretty well. So well that when I hear foot steps around me I check the minimap and see a teammate running relatively close and ignore it and then die from an actual enemy player. I check my 6 a lot when I hear footsteps too and like I said that's without Amplify, don't get me wrong I still die upon non-Amplify users just as much as Amplify users. Clean dem ears out.

Ajaffaroo

Personally i dont understand why theres a perk to alert you to enemies. never having used it myself i suppose im a little fuzzy on it. if it alerts you to their position and direction than id say thats overkill. All the heartbeat sensors have gone so id say that people had an issue with them over the years so why not with amplify. Maybe if full map radar and heartbeat sensors were available then it wouldnt be so bad but then i think that may just cause more issues.

I think some things just wernt though over much when they made ghosts and then eventually they decide it sounded good as an idea but just ended up a big issue.

I think if everyone keeps complaining about things that are not a massive advantage (this post excluded) then we will have 7 or 8 of the same weapon in each weapon type with exactly the same specs due to everything being nerfed.

Fact of the matter is there are to many darn perks and pro versions or multiple benefit perks should have been an option or just make the perks you earn using specialist last a few deaths so they arent a waste. hey if support can reward people for not giving a damn about dying then why cant someone using specialt and being stealthy be rewarded but atleast a one death carryover of their earned perks

thats my rant

cadotter

great concept perks should be earned like the specialist like killstreaks and take away the option to the player that way everyone has pretty much the same advantage of the game.  The more you kill the more perks you earn, hell this might even get rid of some campers too.

KampnSnipr

WIth the recent patch has anyone besides myself noticed a drastic decline in stoppinG power with the USR used with a silencer.  I used to be able to get one shot kills consistently from waist up during mid to short orange kills.  Now it seems like 2 shot kills no matter what the distance.  This needs to be fixed, how can you nerf a silenced sniper rifle that drastically when a honey badger silenced takes 3 bullets from across the map to get a kill. Please look into this.

trialstardragon

Yes using a silencer on the snipers has been changed, so now you have to aim chest high for one shot kills with some of them. So no more running around with them and hip firing them like a shotgun at close range for cheap kills.

Sch4effer

The honey badger only kills in 3 shots out to 20 odd meters, by the time it hits 30m its needing 5 shots. So at long ranges id take 1 or even 2 poorly aimed shots from a sniper over the honeys chances to land 5 with that horrible kick it has at any range.

TFC_xSwagx_7

I, like you, mostly played cranked solo and I used both DS and amp on most of my classes... And well it was ridiculously strong... Against non DS players, I think amp could be scaled down against non DS players but right now it feels like youre hearing around 50% of the sound a dead silence player would be making without DS, making DS ALMOST counter amp entirely, but there still is a faint noise made by DS players with amp, and unfortunately with the patch, DS players make 0 noise without amp... so they are forcing you to use amplify, funny how that works huh? I dont like the change but im living with it just picking up on the very quiet sounds that DS players make, so i know they are nearby, but not knowing exaclty where they are the instant they come within 100 yards of me like a non DS player

zingaa

Fragexcel wrote:

I did in fact use Amplify and Dead Silence together. I thought this was a great aspect to the game and as an attacking player this helped me gain a clear advantage in the game.

Do you realize you wrote this ? I don't use either of those perks so this change didn't bother me in the least.