19 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2014 2:51 PM by dagon1 RSS

what determines better score?

spider_knows_

whats up, so i pretty much wanted to see what you guys come up with, i kinda wanna start to grind for top 10 coop. what affects your overall score? is it the amount of kills you get , the stronger enemy? completed challenges with least drill damage and longest hive times? does anyone have any answers. thnx

• Re: what determines better score?
    Littleweasel

that is something i would like to know also, i usually play with the same group and one of my friend always seems to get the most kills but also always gets the lowest score which really makes no sence.

Frenchy_68

I've seen this often; I am under the impression that kills have very little to do with score.

I also heard the precisions affected.  Since I like the M27 and shooting like crazy, I tried slowing down to improve my precision and that also does not seem to do anything.

Score is a big mystery.  I wish that IW would do a better job of clarifying this.

gramthenOOb

Score is affected by many factors. I don't know all of the exact specifics, but here are some of the larger deciding factors.

1. Kills (of course)

2. Team play, such as reviving downed teammates.

3. Relics. This one is key to scoring high. Using more relics greatly boosts your score. If you want a score that will even come close to a leaderboard topper, all 5 relics are mandatory.

4. Escape! Yes, you get a bonus for escaping!

These are the things that will comprise of the greater part of you extinction score. Happy hunting!

spider_knows_

ok so not to brag... my score is 450k... weve done it with 3 people, i used 5 relics, done all the challenges ... noone had mic, we had ony one person in last stand . i used magnum . i constantly kept throwing guard every 40 sec or so and had drone above at all times. had the least kills. never repaired drill. so i still dont know how to even get close to 500k

Stinky666

There are two types of health that play a decent sized role too in score bonuses, and then on top of that, you have completing challenges too

You get 3,000 bonus score for completing a challenge for each hive. You also get 7,000 points bonus for keeping your drill at FULL health, so protect it at all costs. Just for those two, it's an additional 10,000 points per hive (140k total up for grabs).

Now on top of that, you get a bigger bonus for taking damage. This means ALWAYS make sure you have Body Armor on protecting your HEALTH. I'm not sure how much of a bonus you get for this, but you definitely get a bonus score per hive for not having been hurt at all.

The strange thing is, a lot of people don't seem to worry too much about drill health. The drill is more important than reviving your teammates. I don't care if anyone disagrees with that, it's fact. You can let a teammate bleed out and still revive when you are able to. You can't do jack-all if the drill's health falls to 0. Have a couple of people stay at the drill at ALL times with sentries, to protect it. KNOW which directions your enemies come from at ALL times.

The hardest time to protect your drill, is the final hive (Hive 14). Mainly due to the fact of scorpions gas clouds being SHOT at the drill, and it taking about 3 health from it. But one way to prevent that, is make sure EVERYONE has 2 sentry guns. Have about 3 sentry guns facing up at the cliff where the scorpions like to be, and the rest facing the other directions. Again, always have someone (a medic) right at the drill, for the additional protection.

Hope that helps.

dagon1

Hi could you please tell me how you get 10k of points for each hive??? cause im 100% sure the score goes up slowly after each hive ?? if not please tell me how you possibly get 10k on the very 1st hive

DeadStar7

The score doesn't got up after each hive, but does after each area.  The maximum you can get for the first hive (while using 5 relics) is 2,000, hive 2-5 is 20,000, hive 6-9 is 30,000, and hive 10-14 is 40,000.

dagon1

cheers for that now how can i get my team score up more and personal score up more ??...do i need to tell my team mates to put out there stuff as much as possible while the drill is going? what about personal score how could i get that up abit more higher cheers

DeadStar7

If you don't already know, the biggest score boost is for using relics.  After each hive you'll get a relic bonus, depending on how many relics you are using.  More relics = higher score.  The hive scores I listed above are based on you using 5 relics.  You'll also get a huge escape bonus at the end of the game.

Team score is based on how much you throw down for the team.  This includes boosters, armor, ammo, explosives, random items.  This only affects your score when the drill is active.  Don't bother throwing anything down for the team without the drill going.  Wait until someone plants the drill, then drop everything you can.  I don't know if things like sentry guns raise the points, but just in case, I always wait for the drill before planting a sentry also.

Your personal skill seems to be based on a few different things:  accuracy, kills, and damage taken.  Rather than "spraying and praying", try to be more accurate with your shots to get a higher score.  As well, try not to get hit.  If you don't get hit at all for the round, that should be enough to max your personal skill.  No big deal if you get hit a few times.  Make it up by your accuracy and kills.

The drill health is the last big part of your points.  In the last area, the drill is worth up the 7,000 points per hive, so keep it safe!  Every hit on it loses you points.  Even if it goes to 99% (or 124% with an engineer), you will not get the full 7000 points.  Even still, we've had perfect hive scores with the drill being hit a few times.  It just means you'll have to work a bit harder on the other stats. 

Basically, throw down as much as you can, don't get hit, be accurate, protect the drill.  I hope this helps a bit.  Good luck!

dagon1

Cool thanks for that yeah i always use the 5 relics i have now started using the armor so i know i can throw it down and be protected ...i think i need to tell the team to make sure the drill is better protected and will stop spaying and praying from a distance cheers again for help

Brexican94

Every hive score breaks down into certain scores and here's my 2 cents on each of them.

Drill Protection: Obviously don't let it get touched at all for maximum points (I also think the closer you stay to it will help some.)

Teamwork: Overall helping each other (everyone giving out boosters, ammo, armor, but also using equipment, rescue kills, etc.)

Personal Skill: All about you getting the least amount of damage, personal contributions to 1st two scores above, maybe # of kills but I doubt that)

Challenge Complete: Obviously you have to complete the challenge, but may score higher if quick and proficient (10 aliens with 1 propane tank right at the start of the hive may score higher as opposed to 3-5 propane spaced out over the entire drill time; or killing a large amount of the seekers while you aren't supposed to take damage from them as opposed to hiding behind a sentry or other players)

Relic Bonus: Straight up points per relic, not sure if there's a way to raise or lower this bonus

This isn't guaranteed, this is just my hypothesis after playing many escapes trying to beat my old high score and trying different tactics.

spider_knows_

last 2 answers are great, i actually started paying attention to the score u receive top right side of screen , and there r things like teamwork,  drill protection etc. i didnt know that protecting drill makes such a big difference.

MauveAmpersand3

125 drill health also throw a lot of team boosters if you are running the 5 relics which is necessary for a high score Run also have someone filling you up with armor constantly and ammo as well you don't want to take any damage or hits at all even though you have armor on you don't want to take any hits even with the armor on and also you want to get all the challenges and you want to throw propane on the hives and you want to get a decent amount of kills and you want to not let anybody go down the entire game revives just mean that you let someone go down to begin with which affects your score pretty good so keep your teammates up if you need armor call it out if you need ammo call it out that's it if you could complete all these perfectly then you should be in the top 5 or 10 trust me I know

spider_knows_

fellows come on, no need to argue... were suposed to help each other get top spots. Anyway i ve managed to beat my score and get 480k. heres few things ive noticed. there was only 3 of us, 2 with 5 relics other person maybe had fee dont know. there was only one last stand tru entire game, very little drill damages but i know for sure most werent 100%. anyway i think each % cuts only like .10,.30 k from actual score so it doesnt really matter. now ive played with someone today that told me he has heard jt somewhere that grenade launcher actually helps u get better score, so i tested it he had 5 reliks so

did i, only difference was he kept killing everythjng with grenade launcher where i thiught only

the final barriers would be worthy, and honestly when my sentries were killing he didnt have anything that proved launchers were worthy . can someone collaborate on that?

i think dril, throwing boosters , kills, and no last stand matter the most. can anyone confirm if an actual

less time to do hives , killing rhinos like the ones right before escape actually count? let keep this going

spider_knows_

"Rhinos will begin to spawn during the second Barrier Hive if it is not destroyed within eight minutes, a Rhino will also spawn after ninety seconds at the eleventh and thirteenth Hives, as well as after two minutes and thirty seconds at the fourteenth Hive."

I also just got this from a different thread. Will holding the hives longer eill actually give u better score if harder rnemy will spawn?

Stinky666

Theoretically it should do. Just be sure to be with a team that knows how to kill rhino's.

I remember the first ever time getting to the second barrier hive and we had Rhino's spawn.... we were not prepared and died straight away haha. This happened 2 or 3 different times total. Then 1 time I got extremely lucky and was put into a lobby with 3 other people that knew they needed to shoot the hive to get through quicker. That day was so special.... cos I got the achievement hahaha. The strange thing is I was so overwhelmed with how different the cabin area looks to the other areas on POC. I was "hmm where to go, what to do". So followed the others.

Anyway.... <end rambling>

Goddorn

I've been trying to push my score for a while (stuck around 444000), obviously there are several basic criteria, some of these are penalty scores, so you start with maximum for drill health and then if it get's damaged you progressively lose points for it. Personal score is about kills, but more importantly accuracy and damage sustained.  After some discussion we think that body armour does not protect against points loss from damaged sustained, it just keeps you alive in gameplay terms.  The big personal loss is downs.

Teamwork is dependent primarily on how many times your teammates pick up supplies you have dropped, although you get credit for team support items such as sentries and any damage you do to the hive.  Note that if your team mates don't take your supplies you don't get the points, also if you drop money, only one person can pick it up, unlike boosters when all 3 can pick it up.  To that end I like to use random supplies because no one hesitates to pick them up.  The other big big bonus to teamwork is reviving your teammates.

Challenge seems self explanatory, and I don't understand why people don't always push to get challenges.  The question I don't know is whether or not you get a bonus for your personal contribution to the completion of the challenge, eg if you get all the LMG kills, or if you kill the leaper.

The only other point I'd make is that I think the benefit of taking down a barrier hive quickly and suffering less personal damage outweighs the benefit of the extra kills.  I have no basis for this but I suspect that the more damage the helicopter suffers from scorpions then lower your score as well.

DeadStar7

lol.  So many of our posts were deleted from this thread.  Sorry guys.

Frenchy_68

This highscore business is just so freaking frustrating.  I don't understand why IW does not clarify this for us.

I did a 5 relic run last night with zero downs and only achieved a 433k score.

I get the impression that it does not matter what I personally do but rather that the entire team needs to work towards one player getting a highscore.  This is getting irritating.

If only those responsible for the game would enlighten us; they might not need to patch everything; just let us know how you designed and intended this game to be played.