10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2014 3:06 AM by ErIs RSS

R.I.P Nintendo Wii

Garbin

Just noticed this posting in the MW3 forum - not good news.

R.I.P MW3: Nintendo Wii (5-20-14)

Better make the most of online game play whilst we still can

• Re: R.I.P Nintendo Wii
    TyLeR

It sucks

Garbin

Totally sucks!  In my household, as well as a Wii, we have two PS3s and a PS4 (my sons' consoles) so I tried playing some of the call of duty games with a PS controller and it sucks big time.  It's going to take me a long time to get anywhere near as proficient and I'm not even sure I can be bothered

Luis-_-

yeah totally i play ps3 too its very hard for me compared to wii guess its because im used to the wii but yeah tried cod4 and mw3 and went almost all the time negative but on cod4 because i knew the map pretty well i did alright

Garbin

Follow this link to the end... Looking for good players - Guns'R'Us

Seems there might be some hope of saving the more popular on-line servers - get writing to Nintendo!

TyLeR

I'm pretty sure the guy has got to be trolling, I know a few people who've contacted Nintendo support and they all received the exact reply that it was definite that the connection would close entirely.

Garbin

Bum

Thing is the MW3 servers appear to still be busy, I never have to wait long to join a game.  With MWR it takes a bit longer and maybe a bit longer again for Black Ops and World at War.

Clearly, there is no profit in it for Nintendo to keep them open, but if enough people voiced their opposition to the closure who knows...

Bibstar

Ok guys this might be a hunch but if you go to nintendos games that will no longer function with internet https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Wii/Setup-amp-Connect/Termination-of-Nintendo -Wi-Fi-Connection/Termination-of-Nintend…  black ops well COD for the wii isnt on the affected wii games im thinking that activision holds up their own servers/networks but we'll see

Garbin

My letter to Nintendo...

Dear Sir

I am writing to voice my opposition to the proposed impending shutdown of the on-line servers provided for online gaming with the Wii system. I am a regular player of the Call of duty series of Wii games and still make regular use of games which have an online multi-player feature. Whilst many of these servers will not be as busy as they once were there are still plenty of players out there making use of them. In fact it is notable to me that Call of Duty MW3 is still relatively busy and I never have to wait long to join any of the team deathmatch modes.

I would urge you to seriously reconsider the closure of these servers as there still exists a vibrant community of players who derive a great deal of pleasure playing these older Nintendo games. Have you considered offering a subscription service to keep the most popular servers open?

Yours in Hope

Nintendo's reply...

Please forgive the delay in our response. I can certainly understand your not wanting the Nintendo WFC service to end since you still play Wii games online. Your feedback regarding this matter is extremely important to us, so your comments have been documented and will be shared with the appropriate personnel. In answer to your question, I'm afraid we don't have any information about whether a subscription model was ever considered, but our plans are still for the Nintendo WFC service to end on May 20th, 2014.

The Nintendo WFC service began to be used here in the Americas in November of 2005, and has thus provided over eight years of entertainment to Nintendo fans since then. I'd like to thank you for using the service and helping to make it as successful as it currently is today. With that being said, we feel that now is the right time to terminate these services in order to focus on the development of an even higher level of service for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. This will enable us to ready our Wii U and Nintendo 3DS matchmaking services for upcoming games such as Mario Kart 8 and the next Super Smash Bros. games.

Users can still play affected games in offline mode, which continues to offer a rich game-play experience. Additionally, for Nintendo DS games that support local wireless play, you can continue to use local wireless features to play with others locally (up to a maximum range of about 30 feet). I realize that this announcement came as a surprise, but we hope you'll understand our reasons for ending the service and continue to enjoy our products for many years to come. Thanks for writing.

Basically we're screwed

ErIs

Servers are still on...