24 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2014 5:47 PM by idc219 RSS

So is the ripper OP?

killermushroomhead

i havent' used it myself, but i've heard many people say it is.

• Re: So is the ripper OP?
    itsSURRIDGE

Not really, not used the AR variant yet but the SMG is no different to any of the others really, only advantage ive found is that the iron sights are much more user friendly than any of the other SMGs.

mynameistizzle

YES.. of cores it is OP.. the gun allows you to use both AR and SMG without using overkill which is an advantage over anyone who is not using the dirty pay to win gun.

Xx67Customs

I agree that it is OP only in this regard. It allows you to carry a AR and SMG without wasting a three point perk.

However, as far as the individual gun stats go and actual gun battles, it is on par with some of the top tier guns in their respective classes, but doesn't go above them.

The MTAR is a better SMG (Which is almost as good as top AR's with muzzle break. I mean, you want to talk about OP guns, look at the MTAR.) and the Remington is a better AR.

But yeah, at the same time, you get to play with both without wasting a perk.

KC135R

I agree about the iron sight, it is so much easier to see. As for the assault sight, to me it doesnt really multiply zoom at all. It is actually harder to see sometimes because of the color.

A do like it as a run and gun SMG, I play HC a lot so I need something that fires immediately and it does.

idc219

I believe it is easily one of the best guns in the game. And the fact that is a dlc gun they ensured that they made the gun desirable so people will buy the dlc. In smg mode the gun melts if you have decent aim and if you put rapid fire on the ar portion shoots at 720rpm. Infinity ward knows that after tonight the ghost is going to die on xbox one so they had to give incentive for people to buy season pass. I love Cod but not Ghosts, I don't like that you die so quickly. With that said I still maintain a 2 k/d running 100% solo and already prestige all 10 characters. I just feel that this dlc weapon is a shitty move, no dlc weapon should be this good because it is not fair to those who don't purchase it. Ghosts has some good points but the flaws outweigh the positives. I will say that the new maps should have launched with game but most of the orginal maps suck, I only like Warhark, strikezone, and tremor out of original maps they play fast and that is what game should have been from the start.

WilliamCL57

No. I've used it enough to get the gold camo. and it's not op in the slightest. In the right hands it rips though. Ha. see what I did there?

But seriously, it's balanced pretty well. If they nerf it from all the sour pusses that can't get it yet complaining, I'll be livid.

admunday

The AR element is poor, really poor.  It's an option, but it's not a very good one.  Largely, it's just a very good SMG and not OP in my books.

idc219

I believe like I said earlier it is a top tier gun if you are good at the game. I am not saying it needs to be nerfed, but the fact you can pay to get this gun and those who don't pay can't get it is where I have the problem

admunday

Guns have been apart of COD DLC for a while.  As long as it's not OP (which, whilst we seem to be agreeing it's a good gun,  we also seem to be agreeing it's not OP), it really doesn't matter, as it can be beaten by the standard pack guns.

If you want more options, you pay.  That's life.

KC135R

It isnt OP in the way OP used to be (pure power/damage dealt). It may be a bit OP for Ghosts.

It seems that Ghosts has tried to integrate attachments like AP rounds or silencers or laser sights in more guns than before. I don't know if these guns are really any better since we dont know what their bare stats are. Have to assume pretty bad since most of the guns are the same as guns without integrated attachments. So even with 2 attachments they sit about the same as other guns.

But as for the ripper, it is a bit different, it eliminates the need for overkill  so it allows you to free up a perk slot and a secondary slot OR allows you to not have to use up a class for both AR and SMG so in that case it is a bit OP in my opinion.

admunday

Respect and understand you point, but I disagree based on the quality of the AR element.

If the AR portion of the Gun was all it was, would anyone ever equip it?  I'd suggest the answer would be a massive no and therefore as it doesn't stack up as an AR in it's own right, it's not an 'overkill' scenario.

If you tried to use the ripper as an AR, given an even skillset you'll get melted by basically all other ARs in the game.

For me it is very much a good SMG, with an option to boost the range.  Only really useful in certain scenarios and it's certainly not 2 legitmate guns in one.

KC135R

I agree, understand i usually only play HC so it is hard for me to judge a gun's power. Usually if it takes more than 2 hits in HC to kill someone I dont want to use it. It seems to sit in the 2 hit range BUT that scope is worthless IMO. As for the smg, agree, it seems to work very well in the HC run and gun games.

admunday

I guess I can see more issues with this in hardcore rather than core, that's certainly true.

Guess I'll give it an run in some HC stuff tonight and see if that changes my opinion somewhat.

JetEye

No it is not over powered at all.  The MTAR rips the ripper to shreds.

The ripper is just different and a lot of people are complaining about it because it is new and they are being killed by it a lot simply because a lot of people are using it to try it out.

It's just a fun gun, not OP.

RayOldGuy

It is strong, but not overpowered. I like it, but don’t reply on it for all games and all maps, which, IMO, means that it is not OP. Otherwise EVERYONE would us it on ALL maps. I do agree that the iron sights are great, and it is good to be able to go to AR mode on the fly. BUT – a dedicated AR will still outperform the Ripper. I use one load out with the SA 805. In fact, I use that class over the Ripper where movement speed is not as much as an issue.

doubleuneck17p

its one of my favorite guns to use bc i like the speed of smg running around but with the ability to go for some distance kills.. but not OP, ARs will still win in any 50/50 battle at a distance. smg it just depends on how much fire rate you want, the ripper has a pretty high fire rate and tough to control. it also only holds 32 bullets and always feels like a slow reload. 

VolatilePlacebo
    I find it a bit op, but I think its just because everyone is using it at the moment.
    ExoticCr4sh

It's OP because it's classed as an SMG but has an AR mode that increases damage per bullet.  What this means is that you can put on rapid fire, and you don't need to run stalker on it like any other AR, which gives you 3 extra perk points to use and a very accurate, high damage, high fire rate weapon.  Most people just haven't figured out that it's the AR mode that makes it overpowered.  Also, all SMGs give you 5% more movespeed and have a faster ADS time and are ready to fire faster from a sprint.  In AR mode it has all the benefits of an SMG and AR rolled into one, thus it's freakin broken OP.

RayOldGuy

The Ripper is a great SMG, and a poor AR. It is hand to pop up the sights for long shots, but it is really a lot like a shotgun attachment on an AR - A great rifle and a poor shotgun. If the Ripper was over powered I would use it for every class, and I do not do so.

TheDarkOne123

The assault rifle mode is three shot kill and the smg mode is four shot kill. Both modes have low recoil if you use a grip the smg has very low recoil while the assault rifle mode has no recoil if you add rapid fire both modes get a lot of recoil even with a grip. The gun doesn't sights to attach and the iron sight is garbage for cross map engagements. The gun has a 0.2 second kill time for both modes. So you be the judge on if it's overpowered or not the way I see it the gun is pay to win.

idc219

I haven't played Cod since I posted on this thread (having to much fun with titanfall) but like I said on my post step away from any bias and see that they made a gun that you have to buy one of the best guns in the game. That to me is why it is op. ghosts is doing so bad right now online that it is on sale and even BO2 costs more to buy. Its a marketing plan if they make a gun good and you want to use it you have to buy DLC. now for stats the ar portion has similar stats of the Sa 805, and the smg portion is a beast. A player like me whou rushes around just mows people with this thing. Use speaclist to make up for slow reload and add some good rushing perks game over. ok back to titanfall, but had to respond to this post because my email is attached to this post and I was reading all the responses and most people missed the bigger picture of why I think it is op. have fun gaming guys