19 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2014 3:48 PM by maccabi RSS

Lag Problem?

Omerta_Phoenix

Hopefully i am in the right forum. To anyone out there who can help, i would greatly appreciate it.

When i first bought Ghosts it ran like a dream. I had no issues with it in any way. About a week or two ago i started experiencing some serious lag issues, in multiplayer. I tried searching other sites for any type of help, but all the research i did was either too vague and non-helpful, or it did not pertain to my problem specifically. This lag issue has only recently become a problem, and for quite a while i did not have any trouble with lag at all. It has become so bad now, that multiplayer is pretty much unplayable. Is there anyone out there that knows how to fix this, or has some suggestions?

I have a higher end Netgear router thats made for gaming. My signal on my PS4 is NAT Type 2, and the connection speed of upload and download varies. I have 100% signal strength. I just cant figure out why the lag started, and how to fix it. Ive already tried restarting and rebooting everything from the router to the console. I would be very grateful for any help anyone can provide.

• Re: Lag Problem?
    featherman84

Did you gave your console a static ip and forwarded the proper ports to it?

Wired or wireless?

Omerta_Phoenix

i use wifi/wireless. and i have no idea how to forward it to the proper ports

featherman84

1.Go for a wired connection.

2.Set your ipadress on your ps4 manually(to make it static), log in on your router and  add ports for incoming and outgoing traffic, in the forwarding section of your router settings ,the ipadress you add to each forwarding row is the one you gave to your ps4.

3.Ports for this game and psn can be found on portforward.com(Also "How to" guides can be found here).

Greatgollymsmolly

Forwarding ports will not help you and is totally unnecessary.  Just make sure you have UPNP enabled.  Portforwarding is snake oil these days.

there is a lag issue with the game right now and nothing we can do about it but wait and see if it gets fixed.  As long as your NAT type is open you should be good.

creating static IPs for the devices on your network is always a good idea and if you are running a lot of devices you can configure QOS settings to prioritize your gaming packets.  Outside of that there isn't much you can do.

featherman84

Greatgollymsmolly wrote:

there is a lag issue with the game right now and nothing we can do about it but wait and see if it gets fixed.  As long as your NAT type is open you should be good.

Lag issue with this game?

Don't you mean: "lag issue because my settings aren't alright."

Omerta_Phoenix

is anyone else experiencing lag issues on the psn? ive heard players in game and in lobby complain  that they too are experiencing lag issues. but i dont have a head set so i cant efficiently communicate with them. are either of you experiencing lag issues with Ghosts as well?

LT--SHiNySiDeZ-

Uhhh a lot of people are having issues after the last "patch" they did last week which is right around the time he said it started.  I for one am running wired connection port forwarded.  And yet after the last patch I have been dying extremely fast, I will be watching a door sound whoring someone shoot them as they walk through the door they keep walking forward and I drop dead without seeing them even look at me.  Yet I get about 6-7 hitmarkers in the process.  The game is having major issues even people that don't complain on the forums are saying they have had problems.

Omerta_Phoenix

Shiny now that you mention it, it was right after i downloaded that new update that i started having the problems. i had to recap a little, but i remember now that the game ran perfectly, until that downloaded update. and thats another thing ive been noticing too, that you mentioned. when i use SMGs i almost NEVER aim down the sights. i pretty much always hip fire, using steady aim perk of course. i used to get 15 kills average on TDM. but this past week, not only have i been killed by guys after i shot them first, but also ive been killed by guys that shot first, and they some how had enough time while being shot, to aim down the sights and shoot and kill me. there was a couple of times even the kill cam showed me getting the first off and hitting them. i got so exhausted from that crap i had to go play AC Black Flag to take a break

gambit1969

It did get worse late last week but today its horrible, by far the worst its ever been.  I seem to be so far behind enemy players i could measure the lag with a sundial

LT--SHiNySiDeZ-

Sundial huh?  That is pretty extreme but yea today was rough for a while.  I have noticed a whole lot lately I have been match with Japanese no clue how considering I live in North Dakota....I could understand Canada, but seriously Japan????  Whatever doesn't make a difference anymore I just destroy with my new favorite weapon the MR-28 that thing can be tap fired so incredibly fast.

Moonunit_99

No. There ARE lag issues with the game. It started a few weeks ago and now the game is unplayable for a LOT of people. Maybe you have slow reflexes and don't notice..

claisty

If you have roughly 30 minutes to kill a YouTube poster named Drift0r put together a couple of videos which break down lag comp and how to improve your experience with it.  It's review for some people, but if you're looking for a good starting point it's one of the better ones I've seen.

Black Ops 2 In Depth - Lag Compensation Explained! - YouTube

Black Ops 2 In Depth - How To Improve Lag Compensation - YouTube

If watching YouTube videos isn't your cup of tea one of the frequent contributors here in the forums, Ghamorra, wrote up a pretty succinct explanation as well (link below).

Re: Lag Compensation Explained (Wall of Text)

If I wanted to give someone the quick and dirty Cliffnotes version I would say verify your NAT type is open and hardwire into your network if possible.  Setting a QoS policy to throttle your bandwidth will not guarantee better results, even though I've seen postings in these forums which state otherwise. 

Hope this gives you a good starting point.

Omerta_Phoenix

thank you very much claisty! i really appreciate the help

Greatgollymsmolly

I Have read the Devs didn't implement the same system in ghosts as they did in mw3 and blops2 so lag comp isn't the issue at all.  Location and ping make much more sense.

also if you are correct and it is lag comp causing the issue there is nothing we can do about it.  This is an excerpt from the bottom link you posted.

"The best way to enhance you gaming experience is to not mess with or try to manipulate lag compensation. Do your best to leave plenty of bandwith (between 800kb and 1.5mb) for online play and let the game do it's own thing."

i Can only throttle upload on my router which I have tried and it made no difference...

edit~. You already mentioned about the throttleing.  My bad.

Omerta_Phoenix

lol no trust me my reflexes are beyond up to par ive had plenty of practive on Black Ops 1&2 and MW3

Greatgollymsmolly

OP.  This issue has nothing to do with lag comp.  It's location and how you are being matched up to other players.  When you have really laggy matches it's because the game has thrown you into a lobby where you have a really high ping.  On the PC version the default max ping is set to 800.  I would assume it's similar on console only we can't edit it.  Even if a more suitable lobby is available to you it will keep you in your current lobby because it is based on location rather than best connection.

as long as you have static Ip's assigned and are playing over hardwire to rule out bad wifi over crappy router and have open NAT there isn't anything you can do.  Some games are gonna be bad if you get thrown into a lobby that has a high ping for you.

i Suspect the devs are working on a resolution and making patches to try to optimize this but they can only do what's best for the vast majority of players.  Some people are gonna get hosed no matter what.

i Wish they would implement a system that allows us to see the pings that way we could avoid joining matches that would give you a major disadvantage.  It's killing my KD.  game ran perfect for the first couple months I had it but now it's just horrible some days.

jaylajaylin

dude keep your nat type at moderate for now or you will be host if your open mines was open and when it is im host there is no dedicated server for ps4.

maccabi

protip ignore anything greatgollymsmolly says hes firmly in the tinfoil hate wearing division when it comes to lag and in game issues and anything he says should be taken with a massive pinch of salt.

That goes with anyone who dumbly advises you to keep a moderate nat

Right your two main issues off the bat is wireless and a type 2 nat.

If you are forced to use a wireless connection, use the highest channel number you can for wireless (in router admin panel)  higher up the spectrum you go less interference you get. Something as simple as just koving the router or console slightly can also improve signel strenth esp if the router is far away/ between many walls.

As for the moderate nat.. if you cant set up the correct port forwarding (NEVER use upnp its isnt reliable)  just put the console in the dmz ( again done from the admin panel of router) if that alone doesnt give you a type1 nat run a connection test on the console.

Other issues that can affect your game is what playlists you play in, if its not a highly populated playlist then the amount of people to match with diminishes esp if you have a limited amount of people to start with by having a moderate nat.,