14 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2014 4:54 PM by myevo8you RSS

Connection requirements

Would anyone have an issue if the lobby said you need to have 12 megs to play in this game?

What about 3 megs?

How hard would it be to implement this?

WHat would be gained, and what would be lost?

Would this be a fair game?  If you have faster speeds, you may not be experiencing what others are, so your comments may not have the right effect or approach to it.

FOr those that paid 60 bucks for the game and want to enjoy, without 70 megs, good luck.

• Re: Connection requirements
    nicedrewishfela

The game only requires .6 up and down. It is the quality of your connection that matters more than your speed.

So no, this is not necessary.

myevo8you

You could have 1000 upload and 1000 download and still have a poor connection.

Download speeds mean SQUAT in online gaming. What needs to be strong is your upload, ping, good jitter and zero packet loss.

There are TONS of factors that play into this. The line quality to your house, the line quality in your house, the quality of your router, the ISP itself my limit traffic flow at certain times, your cables from your router to XBOX, if you are using wireless there may be interference, the settings on your router, and so on.

While in an ideal world I would like to see a minimum requirement to be allowed to play competitive style games online, it will never happen. If your ping is too high, or you have a lot of jitter/packet loss, it should kick you out until those problems are resolved.

fearisms

speed still means a lot. i upgraded my internet and ping remained same, but i had much better download and slightly better upload and it helped my connection.

myevo8you

fearisms wrote:

speed still means a lot. i upgraded my internet and ping remained same, but i had much better download and slightly better upload and it helped my connection.

Impossible. When you do your tests, you need to do tests to the FARTHEST possible server, not one close to you. If you upgraded your internet, you probably had the same ping to a server 50 miles away, but it improved at servers farther away. Say at 800 miles before your ping was 75ms, now with the better internet your ping dropped to 45ms.

nicedrewishfela

I kind of wonder how folks are getting these ridiculous speeds.

I work for an ISP and we charge Businesses an arm and a leg every month (Talking 6 figures monthly here) for speeds like people are claiming to get.

xECSx

i got 250 up 20 down ping ~20ms but if i get ina game with somebody from japan or australia and they have a host guess what it dont matter i die quicker and they are almost impossible to kill in 1 on 1 gunfights

myevo8you

xECSx wrote:

i got 250 up 20 down ping ~20ms but if i get ina game with somebody from japan or australia and they have a host guess what it dont matter i die quicker and they are almost impossible to kill in 1 on 1 gunfights

This is because ping isn't a constant number. If you do a speedtest to those area you WILL NOT have a 20ms ping. You would probably have a 500ms or greater ping.

phxs72

This and then what do you do if that guy in Japan whose hosting doesn't have that great of a connection?  Since you have to pass information through his system you will be bogged down by his systems limitations as well.  So if he's got 500 kb upload, you're not going to get any better than that coming to you regardless of how much you paid for your connection.