26 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2014 12:59 PM by matuzz RSS

Infinity Ward, Community and things that will never get fixed.

matuzz

RANT WARNING # PROCEED

154 - the number of days from the release of Call of Duty: Ghosts

492 - the number of replies on Spawn Feedback thread. Last reply from teanah is over two months ago.

Now lets face it. They will  never fix the spawns of this game. We will continue spawning in front of enemies either right on their sight or next to a corner. Infinity Ward doesn't care, they don't even care enough to reply on the thread. The game even has still game breaking bugs that are something I would affiliate with beta testing: Teammates are seen as enemies. [PS4] [GAME BREAKING]

Why are we getting a new microtransactions items instead of fixes to the game? Why are you focusing on squeezing more money out of the game instead of answering to the ton of feedback we are giving and the reports of the bugs in the game?

All we hear from Infinity Ward:

DLC, DLC, DLC, buy, buy and buy.... And that is not going to change. Now you might ask yourself do you go out and buy these items or hold back and maybe show what you think about the treatment of the community with the most powerful thing you poseess: money.

• Re: Infinity Ward, Community and things that will never get fixed.
    nicedrewishfela

I've said it before, I will say it again... Activision and their subordinate Developers (IW, Sledgehammer, and 3Arc) have a serious communication problem with the community. I'd love to see a lot more transparency, the secrecy nonsense is out of control.

Now, we know that Forum Discussions with Devs just don't work. Every conversation gets derailed quickly by in-fighting and folks with selfish, rather than big picture, goals.

But what they COULD, and SHOULD do is release weekly updates or a announcements. When something is introduced, for example a new DLC pack.. release a FAQ the day the announcement is made explaining exactly what we as consumers can expect from the release. Instead, we have YouTube personalities releasing info that can be misleading or tainted by their personal biases.

When an issue is brought to their attention, put out a release stating that they have been made aware of it and that actions are being taken. Take the Infinite Tac glitch... it caused such an uproar, as it should have... and they knew about it. But instead of putting out OFFICIAL word (not vague Twitter posts) that they were aware and looking into the issue, they let it get to a point where people were losing their minds.

Things are going to go wrong with the game. This is inevitable. There are millions of people playing, on various quality connections, on different systems. There are a lot of bad people out there who will find weaknesses and exploit them. Some fixes will be easy, some will take time. But have the respect and decency towards the very people who fund your game and bring in your profits.

Instead, they sit behind a veil of secrecy. The typical pre-release dance is a perfect example of this. Release facts, and  the rumor mill becomes less powerful. People might still be frustrated by what is happening, but they will have the reassurance of knowing it is being taken care of.

They have plenty of resources for getting us information, instead they choose not to do so. Message of the Day in-game? Nothing more than a place to advertise, when it could really be a helpful, informative tool for gamers. This Forum could be used by the devs, not for discussion necessarily as we know what happens then, but even just as a place to post news and information.

The community is more savvy and harder to please than ever before. Fact is, they will never be able to please everyone. But at the very least they can do a better job of keeping us informed, and letting us know they care.

rankismet

They have added what should be a communication tool in the game...

... but it will most likely just be another marketing tool.

Things I have noticed:

• They have very poor transition managers.
      • Their QA is not robust and limited to local (in-house) testing.
      • They have no discernable communication plan.
        • Timing
        • Cadence
        • Content
        • Audience
      • They are slow/reluctant to change strategies which are not working.
      matuzz

Yeah, they had thread here on what they are working on and planning to do. Now its no where to seen and they stopped updating it like ages ago. They have completely dropped the ball and will not tell anything about what they are working on or what problems they are even aware about. All they mind to do is market their DLC content. During the mass ban of innocent people, they said absolutely nothing for days.

Izjar11

matuzz wrote:

RANT WARNING # PROCEED

154 - the number of days from the release of Call of Duty: Ghosts

492 - the number of replies on Spawn Feedback thread. Last reply from teanah is over two months ago.

Now lets face it. They will  never fix the spawns of this game. We will continue spawning in front of enemies either right on their sight or next to a corner. Infinity Ward doesn't care, they don't even care enough to reply on the thread. The game even has still game breaking bugs that are something I would affiliate with beta testing: Teammates are seen as enemies. [PS4] [GAME BREAKING]

Why are we getting a new microtransactions items instead of fixes to the game? Why are you focusing on squeezing more money out of the game instead of answering to the ton of feedback we are giving and the reports of the bugs in the game?

All we hear from Infinity Ward:

DLC, DLC, DLC, buy, buy and buy.... And that is not going to change. Now you might ask yourself do you go out and buy these items or hold back and maybe show what you think about the treatment of the community with the most powerful thing you poseess: money.

Good post.

I doubt they will fix the spawns (if they actually need fixing) I say that becuase its clear their intentions were to have people spawn near each other < this I presume is the reason there are many complaints.

To them, there is no issue and for them to change it now is probably impossible as it will affect many others.

Let me ask you Matuzz and those who reply: If they were to add a further spawn point system (instead of the revenge one) how different do you think the game will be?

Note: I think your post is excellent and you make some great points but what if the changes to spawns will make things worse which is what I fear when they make changes?

matuzz

Well I don't know about other consoles but on PS4 this happens multiple times in every single match:

• Red arrow is the enemy that is walking to the direction of the arrow.
      • Green dot is where the player spawns facing to the direction of the arrow and of course starts running.

Now the one who spawns will die almost instantly after he comes out of the corner as he will be gunned down by the enemy. Now in my opinion this kind of spawn logic is very flawed. And I have even been spawned in multiple occasions on the direct line of sight of the enemy.

Now the maps in Ghosts are one of the biggest in Call of Duty, there should be enough room to spawn people on safe locations if the spawns check would be improved. Instead we are now spawned literally right next to the enemy. Each CoD game will have a few bad spawn moments every now and then but in Ghosts its seems to be that match that has no bad spawns is extremely rare.

FalconR6

Drew said it very well , so ill try not to rehash what he said. From memory Drew was the first respondent on a topic I created when I first arrived on the forum. It went something like "I've been saying this for ages".

Link found: Re: Communication is a cheap and quick way to reduce angst 

Ghosts has two direct communication tools in the game itself. MOTD which is used exclusively for DLC promotion and Clan wars. We now also have a ticker (press LB on xbox) which is useless as tits on a bull at the moment.

Unfortunately, it seems that anything that maybe considered controversial, unpalatable, or bad news is just not communicated. My strong belief is that trying to keep all communication "undeniably positive" has the opposite effect of what they want to achieve, that being customer trust. I, for one, am sick of being treated like a kid. I realise that there are indeed kids that play Cod, but I wish we were treated as adults.

Drew mentioned the Tac grenade glitch. I have to say that the hotfix occurred rather quickly. However, no acknowledment of it before hand. Shite happens, sometimes you have got to deal with it. A message should have been put out not to exploit it (or just make references to taking advantage of an exploit will lead to punishment) -- Instead we all had to put up with nobheads who gave scant regard to the Coc.

We have a Coc, yet it is widely disregarded as a lot of gamers do not fear it. Why, because the game devs/publishers don't make it overt. If I saw a MOTD warning players not to break rules, etc,. etc, I would be over the moon, as this would show would-be bad sports that the security team is on the prowl.  Not saying that the security isn't do a good job, it is just that the secrecy prevents any preventative effects.

We have two community managers who do not really engage with the community. Last we hear on the forum was in Spawn Feedback. I know that in the past devs who come onto the forums are met with some hostility. My advice, suck it up and don't take any notice of folks who just heckle. There are a lot of folks on the forum who would treat the devs with respect,; this should not be passed up because of 'haters'.

Communication is so simple. I gave a suggestion that for the forum traffic to increase MOTD should be used. Most gamers have no idea we exists. Simple - a MOTD with a blurb about the forum. Or, after TUs are released a MOTD directing gamers to the forum patch notes. So easy, yet for some reason not implemented. Furthermore, my suggestion should be a lay down misere, thought of ages ago. Maybe it has been, yet not seen as worthwhile. lols at logic.

Wrappin it up as I'm rambling, apologies.

TheDarkOne123

That's all they care about is maximizing profits aka making DLC and micro transactions. They also only care about saving money so very little work gets done so that their bosses can save money. So saving money and maximizing profits is cutting costs such as work in general and technology and it's making more DLC. The next game will be the same exact way unless Sledgehammer games is actually passionate and will work for free.

rankismet

TheDarkOne123 wrote:

That's all they care about is maximizing profits aka making DLC and micro transactions. They also only care about saving money so very little work gets done so that their bosses can save money. So saving money and maximizing profits is cutting costs such as work in general and technology and it's making more DLC. The next game will be the same exact way unless Sledgehammer games is actually passionate and will work for free.

You may take this the wrong way.... but insipid, immature posts such as this set my teeth on edge.

IW/ATVI are in business to make money. If they aren't making money on COD... they quit supporting COD. They put in a lot of money, time, and effort into Ghosts. They care about the product and aren't being lazy about what they do.

And posts like yours are EXACTLY why we have such piss-poor communication with them.

How can they have a rational and mature discourse on issues when people's POV is they're only in it for the money and lazy?

They have made some mistakes with Ghosts for sure...

... but can we as a community not be so over the top hyperbolic as to their intentions?

TheDarkOne123

Well here's the thing I have been trying to communicate with them for months now and I was civil about my posts, now my patience is wearing thin. So I apologize if being an unsatisfied customer is being immature. Their intentions have been made clear to me clear as day to be honest. All they want to do is make money and save it as well. They would of fixed the low population by now if they knew good business.

Izjar11

TheDarkOne123 wrote:

Well here's the thing I have been trying to communicate with them for months now and I was civil about my posts, now my patience is wearing thin. So I apologize if being an unsatisfied customer is being immature. Their intentions have been made clear to me clear as day to be honest. All they want to do is make money and save it as well. They would of fixed the low population by now if they knew good business.

Understandably, feeling unsatisfied does not warrant being naive. If you are no longer happy about the game, its connection or quality than simply move on to another video game and end your "waiting". One can be unsatisfied, and still remain respectful (no one forced you to purchase their products).

Their intentions are clear: To sell a video game that will earn them a living, that is about as obvious as a kick in the face.

Your final sentence clearly says allot about how you think business is conducted, they can't "fix" who buys their games, these games are now in a maturity phase and to sell more requires different things and approaches not easily done and you cannot please everyone in the process.

TDO123 any person who plays this game and feels as you do, should seriously consider stopping. Its beyond me why anyone subjects themselves to a video game they do not enjoy, its incomprehensible why you and others (who come here) do. Beyond me.

rankismet

TheDarkOne123 wrote:

Being frustrated and unsatisfied =/= immature.

But your post does.

You see, I'm frustrated, too.

• Getting proper communication is like pulling teeth.
          • I question their QA standards when less than week into playing it you knew the spawn system was wonky.
          • I'm extremely annoyed with their rollout plan for DLC maps into the standard playlists.
          • I dislike the focus on novelty and gimmicks when the basics aren't proper.
          • I cannot stand the inclusion (again) of Ricochet in HC.

But I can offer ways to resolve each and everyone of these frustrations without being sophomoric and hyperbolic.

ATVI is very good at business. I encourage you to read their balance sheets and other company statements.

Activision | Blizzard - Overview

What they fail at is customer interactions and communication.

AntiGov

Believe it or not but developers used to make games for gameplay and not profit. As in they were once "artists" but now they're just like every other corporation.

rankismet

AntiGov wrote:

Believe it or not but developers used to make games for gameplay and not profit. As in they were once "artists" but now they're just like every other corporation.

There still are... but there is a reason for the term "starving artist". You can still be an artist and make a profit.

I write screenplays... haven't sold one yet... so I am just writing for me at this point.

... but...

... i hope to sell the hell out of one someday.

gramthenOOb

Your post is very good.  I think it's something many of the forum users should read, because the truth is, they probably won't get around to fully repairing it.  You'll probably have to wait for the new game for a fix that everyone has been looking for. The unfortunate thing is that for every forum member here that plays COD, there are another 1000 that do not.  Even if every forum member stopped buying DLC, the impact on profit would be extremely minimal.  I'll still buy the next few COD games and the accompanying  DLC though; no need punishing Sledgehammer and Treyarch for IW's issues.  And yeah, the next COD games will probably have some issues, but doesn't every game?  All we can do is accept and keep on keeping on.

ANWRambo

*THE SPAWN SYSTEM*

That is the MAIN thing I want to see changed or fixed.

1.STOP spawning me right next to the guy that just killed me.

2. STOP spawning me into bullets and I.E.D.s

3. STOP spawning me right inside a gun battle between 2 or more people.

3. STOP spawning me behind or in front of people.

4. STOP spawning me in areas that are easy to spawn camp/trap.

5. STOP spawning me in an area that I can't take 2 F-ING steps before I get killed.

FIX THE SPAWN SYSTEM. TO HELL WITH EVERYTHING ELSE!

AntiGov

The Rolling Stones put it best, "you can't always get what you want". Where should they spawn you? You're not going to always spawn a safe distance away, that's impossible. If they went back to flipping spawns when you were spawn trapped it would be much better but then you could spawn trapped if the other team held back just enough to not flip spawns. So which would you rather have?

ANWRambo

Impossible to have decent spawns were you don't get spawn killed every time?

Have you EVER played Black Ops 1.

As of right now it has the best spawns I have seen compared to  Black Ops 2, MW3 and Ghosts.

I can walk around and safely leave my spawn without getting killed within 2 steps.

Proof that the spawn system can be improved.

Ghosts spawns and maps are terrible.

FREE FALL on FFA. Enough said.

ghamorra

I just played my first match since my three week + hiatus and I quit after a single match. Maybe I've outgrown the game or maybe it's just bad, but I didn't enjoy my first match. After it was over I was instantly overcome with exhaustion. I felt like I was playing against a bunch of ninjas while I was walking around in a suit of armor. I felt clunky and precise while everyone else zipped around with LMGs taking me down like I was the size of a mountain. It wasn't fun at all.

Izjar11

ghamorra wrote:

I just played my first match since my three week + hiatus and I quit after a single match. Maybe I've outgrown the game or maybe it's just bad, but I didn't enjoy my first match. After it was over I was instantly overcome with exhaustion. I felt like I was playing against a bunch of ninjas while I was walking around in a suit of armor. I felt clunky and precise while everyone else zipped around with LMGs taking me down like I was the size of a mountain. It wasn't fun at all.

LOL

G your having re-birth noob moments? LOL

lonewolf50

i read what you said about getting the game right i have been trying to get the ripper i have a season pass and still cannot get it i have tried every thing and still cannot get it just to tell you ibrought a prestige version also a hardern version also a season pass as well and brought three books on top i spent moore money than any body else in shop  at that time

Tygrastic1

Excellent read.  I have often wondered how successful I would be as a business owner in the if I communicated with my clientele following their example (pretty easy, I would be out of business in a year).  I hate it as much as anyone else having to answer an email at 11pm or phone calls at 6am, hell even taking a billing complaint Thanskgiving night while trying to have dinner with my family, but it is part of being a business owner.  Being in a completely unrelated industry, I can tell you that the biggest consumer complaint about a new client's former service provider is communication and transparency.

My biggest communication gripe (not trying to derail anything) is the lack of communication the PS community receives with dlc.  The vast majority of us that have played for years under the new contract can predict when we get the dlc, but why do we need to guess?  IW/ACTI knows the terms of when and how the PS store updates, why can't they come out and tell us?  I just don't get the mushroom treatment of feed us crap and keep us in the dark.  Just that little bit would go leaps and bounds in terms of feeling like we are part of the community instead of the runt of the litter.

Lastly, I don't understand why they don't take a page out of Blizzard's book.  That company has stellar communication and interaction with the community whether it be positive or negative.  I get the fact that they are much larger and require a small community to count their money, but why couldn't IW implement something on a smaller scale?  I was absolutely NEVER disappointed in dealing with Blizzard whether the outcome was what I wanted or not.

Final note, we all know the spawns have been an issue since release AND dlc sales have been lacking.  Is it just purely coincidence that the "Spawns Feedback" thread was created in less than two weeks after the first dlc was released?  Are they genuinely interested in fixing the spawns (guessing NOT with the complete lack of their participation) or was it just another pacifier to shut the community up while hoping to generate a little more interest in the dlc?

gotsomestars

Just throwing it out there that communication with devs on a forum is quite possible. Respawn devs are communicating on there forums quite frequently. And not a single fight has started. One guy made a smartassed comment, the dev answered it wonderfully and that was the end of it.

The worst of it all is this company is paying someone ( more than we make I'm sure) to be a "community manager" and this person is nowhere to be found in the "community". I wish I could get paid for doing nothing.

Hey atvi,iw, or anyone else, I'll be your community manager. I'll take less money and actually communicate with the community, I've been doing it for years for free anyways.

PS.

Great thread matuzz.

immortalmindz

Its become clear to me that cod has pretty much reached its end, which is a huge shame. Before you all rip on my first line and believe me i never thought i'd say it, lets look at the dlc. First we have Mike Myers, a cool edition to some but fits with cod NO, next we have aliens in mp, fits with cod NO, now i just seen a predator has been added (trust me i loved the films) fits with cod NO.

So how does this post tie into the thread, simple the things that need fixing either cant (cough spawns cough) or will never be fixed, hence they now clutching at straws with the dlc. I dread to think whats in the pipeline. Why cant we just go back to actual warfare, without the gimmicks. I guess its too late.

matuzz

These new sets of Micro DLC just made my topic so much more relevant. Which is sad....