8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2011 2:37 PM by {bhc}max|co RSS

The un-Official mature gamers wish list thread....and an offer

I don't post much since the words typed seldom reach the ears of the intended audience but what the heck... I have some time to kill. I am the grandpa around here and have been with FPS games since the days of Mike Powell (goggle it if you are clueless). Only say that to frame the discussion to be I certainly can speak for what the "old timers" are looking for.

Now I realize that things like dogs with C4, nuke strikes, RC cars, 7x24 nuketown servers, and any other insane things man can dream up is hear to stay. So I am not here to argue the pros and cons of that crap in the game. What I am asking for is choices. Plain and simple, choices. What bothers me most about the franchise over the last few years is not adding all the extra "stuff" in the game to attract a larger audence. What is very troublesome is the fact that the developers have made a conscience decision to "lock" the game down, and basically say "play the game the way WE intend it to be played".

Now it appears there may be a slight crack in the door to see some change there, so anything I can do to encourage that I will. Also I am going to forgo the request for mod and map tools, since that is a given, and focus on what I believe would be very simple options that could be added in the game With that said, here is what we want...

A FPS game...you know a first PERSON shooter. We would like to have an option to set up a server where the people who do well get killed by another person who is skilled at shooting and is using tactics. I can sit on a BlackOps server now and get killed 20 times in a game, but less than 5 of those would come from a persons gun. Now don't tell mewe have that now with barebones because Barebones is not it.Here is the simple way to make this work.

1) Stop with the silly rank vs non-rank already. Servers should all be ranked, with the exception of modded servers. In other words you have ranked servers, and modded servers, that is all. The only reason to seperate these was to avoid people abusing the rank system and doing fast rank up. But we are not ADDING anything to a server, we are TAKING stuff AWAY. If a rank server has all perks and killstreaks available, and we set up a server that takes some of those things out how is that a problem?

2) Give us DVARS for; run speed, all weapons, perks, and killstreaks. Very simple. Let us set up RANKED servers that allow us to turn off things we do not want to use. Code in all the goofy laser guided, heat seeking, stealth, spawn killing missles you want and drop them from the space shuttle but for the love of Mike Powell PLEASE give us a way to TURN THEM OFF . As for run speed check out how many crouch only servers there are in BO right now. Why is that? It is the only way to control the insane run speed in the game that makes it so "run and gun".

That is all from me. My list is quite simple. If I can get on a hardcore server, with the ability to turn off kill streaks, I and hundreds of others would be in heaven.

Now to the offer. As I stated earlier, I have been around the community since MOHAA. I have been modding since the beginning. I know the scripts in this game up and down, and sideways. So I am offering to help you guys code in the DVARS. Send me the scripts and a NDA. I will add the DVARS to the code and send them back, for FREE. Why would I do that? Because as a coder I can tell you guys it would that several hours TOPS to do that code. The code for those DVARS has been around for years, and it is easy to do. And if this ever gets to a dev, you guys KNOW how to do this.

I am done... others can add to it, but honestly, this is a very simple list.

peace....FK

• Re: The un-Official mature gamers wish list thread....and an offer

_FK_ wrote:

Now to the offer. As I stated earlier, I have been around the community since MOHAA. I have been modding since the beginning. I know the scripts in this game up and down, and sideways. So I am offering to help you guys code in the DVARS. Send me the scripts and a NDA. I will add the DVARS to the code and send them back, for FREE. Why would I do that? Because as a coder I can tell you guys it would that several hours TOPS to do that code. The code for those DVARS has been around for years, and it is easy to do. And if this ever gets to a dev, you guys KNOW how to do this.

Obviously, they know how to add dvars to things. But every time you add a dvar, you add to the maximum scriptUsage - the total number of script variables - allowed by the engine. So, if the game goes out with a set number of dvars, and someone not officially on the dev team adds a whole bunch of dvars to the game, that will have an impact on the max scriptUsage allowance. The more players on a server, the easier it is to hit that ceiling. This is the reason why there aren't a whole bunch of dvars controlling everything - it impacts on the balance of the game design.

The way around it is to design those dvars from the get-go. That way you can test to make sure the scriptUsage ceiling isn't hit, and if you get close, increase the max number of script variables. Doing it at the last minute, however, is a recipe for disaster.

• The un-Official mature gamers wish list thread....and an offer

I don't like this idea. like at all.

I think it's good as it is. Imo the reason why they won't give ranked status to "unpure" servers (changed DVAR) is because ranking wouldn't be fair that way. Ranked servers are supposed to rank peoples in the rules that IW sets for us to play the game in.

for example: on a pure server there is a noobie who earns his points by noobtubing people. He noobtubes the "pro guy" and gets points for it, denying the pro guy from getting points. Now imagine the noobie setting up a ranked server by his own, and he restricts stuff like snipers, or flak jacket or I don't know, anything that could counter a noobtube. Then he just plays on his server (a lot), and gets to the number 1 rank in the world, eventhough he has no real skill, he's just good at noobtubing people. It just wouldn't be fair against people who are actually skillful at the game, who want to rank up by playing the game fairly.

It could be presented with other examples, I just thought the noobtuber example would be pretty clear.

Also I would definitely not play MW3 without killstreaks, whynot just play CoD2 then?

Tally you no darn good and well there is enough time left in the development process to pull this off. That engine can easily be optimized for extra DVARs and besides we are not talking about that many. That limited entity argument is old and does not hold water until the code is frozen and you try and go back.

As for the whole rank quickly argument are you serious? Di you play BO? Did you see how many fast rank servers went up? Did you see how many Nuketown only servers there are so people can rank fast? Earning rank legally even for an old fool like me can happen in weeks or less. That argument is ridiculous.

From one old gamer to another, good post _FK_.

man add more space betwen sentences,i cant read that

{bhc}max|co

you wish m8

lmfao