11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2011 2:23 AM by esmorgue RSS

Blast Shield Perk - How much explosive damage can it take?

vims1990

Hey all,

I'm just wondering how effective Blast Shield will be in MW3.

Looking back in Black Ops, I used Flak Jacket all the time due to amount of explosive spamming including those who tubes were still effective but I'm just curious about Blast Shield.

In Black Ops, I could survive two tubes near the body, RPG's, Semtex/Frags and C4.

Did anyone go to COD XP who used blast shield or anyone who knows of some good footage of players using Blast Shield?

I'm just curious on how much explosive damage a player using Blast Shield can take.

Is it better/the same or worst than Black Ops "Flak Jacket"?

Cheers.

• Blast Shield Perk - How much explosive damage can it take?
    esmorgue

Well 402 said the explosives aren't as lethal.

jamesafc

I'm guessing it will be similar to Flak Jacket, haven't seen any footage of what happens if there's two explosions in quick succession though - but it definitely stops a single explosion

There were a lot of players using it during the COD XP tournament final I think, so might be worth checking that out. Also when you stun or injure someone using it with an explosive, you get a hitmarker icon like juggernaut from COD4.

Either way it's going to be a beast perk. On Black Ops Flak Jacket + Tactical Mask Pro was one of the best perk combinations - Now it's combined into one for MW3

• Re: Blast Shield Perk - How much explosive damage can it take?
      vims1990

I looking from a "noob tube" perspective and I doubt that anyone was using a noob tube in the tournament. (from what I recall).

But yes, I think 6/10 of my custom classes all had FJ Pro and TM Pro.

So glad both FJ Pro and TM Pro been brought as one perk altogether so I can use Dead Silence or something else useful.

I'm more worried about being noob tube spammed than killed by a grenade. As esmorgue mentioned, explosive damage has been reduced but by how much?

I've seen the grenade launcher as an attachment to an assault rifle and a secondary (not sure why it shows up as a secondary as well).

jamesafc

The thing that made noobtubes so powerful in MW2 was danger close, without it they weren't really a problem IMO. I'm guessing they will be weaker than the MW2 version (without danger close) We will have to wait and see

esmorgue

I dont think they should be that weak. It's a damn grenade. What cracks me up is how people complain about GLs, yet will launch the frags and semtex themselves.

vims1990

To be honest, it's not really about the damage, it's more to do with how you can attain it:

COD4 & WAW: It was in the Tier 1 slot (players had to give up perks just for two tubes)

MW2: First attachment to unlock for each assault rifle - caused greater problems with OMA & Danger Close

Black Ops: Cost 3000 COD Points to buy the grenade launcher attachment. Also, they were useless in a good way. Also, a 10 second delay on grenade launchers.

MW3? Will you unlock the tube in the later stages of your weapon levelling?

I'm not concerned about the damage as GL's have always been lethal. I'm more concerned in how easily you can attain the attachment.

esmorgue

I see where you are coming from with that. It was too early really in MW2 to get. I think it is late in MW3. I said the same about the Ghost Perk on Black Ops. I thought if you wanted to use a Silencer you had to give up the 1st tier. Or if they used Ghost they couldnt use a Silencer thus making them learn to use stealth. Not just be given, bought.

I liked not having the 1st tier perk on CoD 4, W@W, because it made you use some skill, being without all the perks.

jamesafc

esmorgue how powerful do you want explosives to be? If a single grenade, semtex or GL could easily kill a Blastshield user, what would be the point of using that perk?

I think Black Ops got the balance spot on with explosives

esmorgue

That version of "power" is fine. I was just retorting towards some people acting as if the damage should be the equivalant of an 4th of July toy. I'll be using Blast Shield myself. I use Flak Jacket because I play alot of Domination. I still say DC is a alright concept, though I think it should have only had a increase of explosive damage of about 10-15%. The Pro version was fine. If you can remember how useless the Precision Airstrike was on MW2, you would get hit markers out the A** on Wasteland.