26 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2011 11:58 AM by evilzer0 RSS

Will MW3 have RANKED dedicated servers?

[EW]TheO'ReilyFactor

Answer the question please, devs. I don't care about Elite and neither does 98% of the PC community. At least let us be able to level up, unlock, and prestige in Dedicated servers. I could care less about parties, global stats, groups, or any of the elite nonsence. Make IWnet ranked for elite and deds unranked. BUT LET US HAVE THE FULL GAME ON DEDICATED SERVERS TOO!!!! I shudder as i think back to BASH123. (i might as well preorder aIWNet 2, its sad that it took pirates to make MW2 a halfway decent PC game. looks like IW/sledge haven't learned anything.)

• Will MW3 have RANKED dedicated servers?
    {bhc}max|co

ye its amazing that alteriwnet have shown the way for iw on how to run a pc game online..

this is why mw3 will have matchmaking AND dedi servers(altho stated to be alike cod4, that remains to be seen) the silence from the devs here and on pc mw3 is astonishing... just like prior to mw2 hmmmmmmmmm

[EW]TheO'ReilyFactor

Off topic buts its good to see people from the old BO forums. kaws, 420man. I figured you guys wouldn't even care after BO. I really am having trouble getting into it with the blatant lack of complete information. I don't know why the answers we do get have to be shrouded in secrecy either. at least with black ops we were told *mostly* straight up what we were gonna get. (exception modtools and radiant)

no ranked dedicated servers = no sale

[pde]paulkersey

Yea this is one of the biggest questions/concerns I have along with player count. On one of their twitters, it was announced that servers would be everything like CoD4. If so, this would also have to include player count to be 32 for some wiggle room (like CoD4 as opposed to MW2/BO).

This is all the news our clan and players on our CoDWaW server are waiting on before we make a move ordering everything. We have skipped over MW2/BO. I hope Crytek can do Homefront 2 some justice because at least HF had good 'ideas' that I wanted to see in CoD. It's just a rough game currently.

I don't want ranked dedicated servers tbh, since they are releasing server files n stuff.

1. I don't want black ops all over again, every1 fastleveling on Nuketown and retarded stuff like that

2. I don't want servers with idiotic rules like in MW1. There's a reason why there will be private games -> so ppl can host their servers with their stupid ass rules and waste their time with their friends on those servers.

If the server rules were strict and equal/fair on all servers, THEN they could be ranked. Else just unranked, deal with it

[pde]paulkersey

Idiotic rules? Won't there be matchmaking for you also? As many  servers as there will be, I'm sure you will find some default ones. I  always find many servers I like playing at. I can't speak for Black Ops  since they followed a console format on dedicated servers - I had to  pass on it. Unranked = pointless servers.

There will be matchmaking for you like MW2. There will be servers for the rest of us.

The only reason we won't get ranked servers on the dedicated platform is to get us involved with Elite.  Tragic.  I will be involved with Elite more as a marketing tool for my team.  Not to compete.  However this team has been competing online since 1999.  We have talent that's been with the team since then and talent that's 18+... 

Reality is the hardcore (read: Compete as we practice, Practice as we compete) competition is not going to be involved with Elite.

We'll be mixing it up on some of the competition sites (TCZ, TWL, CEVO) facing teams that have honed their skill set over the last few years.  Sorry but teamwork trumps a best layed plan anyday.

So while I'd love to see a fair roll out on the dedicated.  I fear we will get a watered down version of the software and all the bells and whistles rolled out to Elite participants only.  That will stop me from buying this game and focusing on BF3.

-HC

http://themasterclan.net

[pde]paulkersey

Yea. I'm not really an Elite fan, but recently, in the last few years of CoD (MW2/BO), there has always been something to kill it for me trying to buy the game. There's just been some unacceptable stuff in the last couple years with CoD and doing unranked dedicated servers is one of them.

• Re: Will MW3 have RANKED dedicated servers?
    [pde]paulkersey

I know I can't speak for everyone here, but if we could trade Elite for pure CoD4 type, ranked, 32 player servers, I would accept that in a heartbeat.

To IW/Sledgehammer, if you guys are silently reading this, we would just like to get back to the way things were - and I mean 100% like CoD4, not some key words thrown out to the public to try and get us hyped up for publicity. Some of us are trying to leave CoDWaW as it was the last one with proper dedicated servers.

i was going to buy this awhile ago, what changed my mind was not that they where using the same engine, or a copy paste of MW2 but the fact they dont care about pc at all. after the game is released and patched we will never hear from them again until MW4.

if every pc gamer put off buying it for 6 months (or just not at all) at a minimum then it would show IW/activision why the customer is always right.

What I do not understand is why Robert Bowling used the word "RANKED" as he should have known that this would confuse people as the word "RANKED" has 2 different interpretations.

1. Ranked can stand for online stats.

2. Ranked can stand for character progression such as character level, weapon level, prestiges, etc.

What Robert or anyone else at IW/SH need to do is come back on these forums and explain what they mean by "RANKED" because that word right there is what is causing all the issues that the PC community has with Dedicated Servers.

natas2057 wrote:

What I do not understand is why Robert Bowling used the word "RANKED" as he should have known that this would confuse people as the word "RANKED" has 2 different interpretations.

1. Ranked can stand for online stats.

2. Ranked can stand for character progression such as character level, weapon level, prestiges, etc.

What Robert or anyone else at IW/SH need to do is come back on these forums and explain what they mean by "RANKED" because that word right there is what is causing all the issues that the PC community has with Dedicated Servers.

Nice that someone else gets it as well - Bowling needs to clarify what they mean by "unranked". I twitted him:

@fourzerotwo How do we access weapons on dedicated servers?

To clarify Unranked Dedicated Servers on PC. Admin has full control of unlocks. Can unlock all or fully customize whats unlocked in #MW3                                          

By fourzerotwo                            on 21-10-2011 18:53:12                                               

http://btk-gamingclan.de/

Unranked sucks, for most people.  I understand some people still enjoy it from time to time, but MOST people buy these modern games because of the progression aspect.  AND the competitive aspect, being able to share stats, ect...  Shelling out $60 + $DLC for the choice of lag, disconnects and hackers(mw2) with stats & progression, OR a segmented off, smooth gameplay, but little to no stat sharing, progression, ect.. is ludacris.  Oh ok, so you find a good server to play on an level up and get nice unlocks, oh hey, the clan fell apart, server shut off.  Or some newbie became admin and you're ban now, or an endless amount of random rubbish.

There is ZERO DOWNSIDE to giving us RANKED DEDICATED SERVERS! 

ANYTHING anybody says to counter this I'd LOVE to hear it.  SteamID DrizzintahL  (steam account older then most jobs over at IW )

club22

surely they will have an option in the sever set up so you can lvl up like normal, if not that sucks

yes, servers will let you setup how you unlock stuff. so play in server X for 5 weeks just to get ban by a 13 year old admin.  find a new server, level up, play for 2 months, just to have the server shutdown, losing all that time.  leveling in strictly unranked servers just because we want a playable connection and some hacker control is ******* ludacris. 

I can't believe 402 has the audacity to have the first sentence of his thread, "I'm extremely excited about the PC version of Modern Warfare 3 this year, because we’ve been taking your feedback since Modern Warfare 2,and the franchise as a whole, on what you wanted to see in the PC version of Modern Warfare 3 and the team at Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer Games has put aton of emphasis on delivering a PC experience that brings in all the great things we added in Modern Warfare 2:"'

HOW DO YOU STAY SANE LIEING TO YOURSELF SO BLATENTLY! 

LISTENING TO US? LOL.  ONLY GODDAMN THING WE CARED ABOUT IN MW2 WAS DEDICATED SERVERS, SO YOU SLIP IN A FAST ONE AND MAKE THEM POINTLESS!  FAIL!

it's a shame!

if not change i cancel my pre order

what's the hell are you doing?

**** off *******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no ranked dedicated servers = no sale

Exactly, my clan runs dedicated servers, we were fully ready to support MW3 as we are also supporting BF3. Now that you made millions on pre-orders, the other foot falls and we don't get ranked dedicated servers. Cool for BF3, not so cool for MW3. Our gaming community will not be running MW3 servers. No one will want to pay for it. But it gives us wiggle room to run more BF3 servers

yep no ranked dedicated servers no sale.

i dont see why they cant just have ranked dedicated on a system like what blackops had and have 1 or 2 providers who can host ranked servers and anyone else can host unranked ones.

Atleast treyarch got that part right and mw2 will be a big step backward from blackops.