1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2013 11:06 AM by zackarmy911 Go to original post RSS
  • 20. Re: Why are the Russians and Arabs always demonized in games/movies ?
    esmorgue

Anybody is a enemy unless they're are selling oil for cheap. I remember the Oil embargo. They basically told Saudi that if they didnt start selling the oil again that they would come in and take control of it because it could cause the U.S. to grind to a hault.

• 21. Re: Why are the Russians and Arabs always demonized in games/movies ?
    matuzz

If we look at history US has been pretty "evil".

• 22. Re: Why are the Russians and Arabs always demonized in games/movies ?
    butters1320

I can't believe that no one has mentioned General Shepherd and Shadow Company from MW2 yet. They were American and the bad guys.

This isn't COD but if I remember correctly the Genome Soldiers from Metal Gear Solid were also American.

• 23. Re: Why are the Russians and Arabs always demonized in games/movies ?
    maccabi

matuzz wrote:

If we look at history US has been pretty "evil".

in fairness between america and the uk pre and post ww2 nearly all of the worlds flashpoints are either directly or indirectly a result of those countries interfering behind the scenes.for what ever reasons and their regimes and goverments are all a direct result of either usa or uk foriegn policy

afghanistan trained and funded the taliban,

iran the americans helped over throw a democractically elected goverment (yes until america or rather the cia got invovled iran was actually a democracy not a radical islamic state.)

iraq.. again british and americas funded and trained saddam and going back even further along with the league of nayions created the country in the first place .

so as i said its more cultural viewpoint than racism.

and you have to remember all a game is too the bean counters is a marketable commodity that has to appeal to people to buy it.. noone is going to buy a game that protrays americans as terrorists, you can get away with a few bad guys but thats about it even though you have some really radical right wing groups over there.. alot of people complanied and refused to buy moh as the taliban were a playable faction in mp..

• 24. Re: Why are the Russians and Arabs always demonized in games/movies ?

The reason why Russia and the Middle East so often get used as villians is because it usually makes for a good story. Remember, for the longest time the Cold War was going on, and right now Russia is still acting shady, so they're a mysterious villain. Add that with the fact that Russia is such a huge country. Sure most of it is unpopulated, but when you see Russia on a map, it's pretty scary.

As far as the Middle East goes, it's because it's relevant to what's going on today. Not all people from the Middle East are bad, it's only a select few, but truth is when you write a story that's relevant to current events, the people who are reading [or in our case, playing] it, can relate to it more and better engage themselves mentally and emotionally.

Message was edited by KuroNico: I hate my computer T_T

• 25. Why are the Russians and Arabs always demonized in games/movies ?

TBH, the only reason we attacked Iraq and the Middle East is because Bush wanted to make profit off the oil fields he already owned there. Bush's family has had a vendetta against Iraq for years for the sake of profit. IMHO, there was no reason for a war in Iraq, because THEY weren't the ones who attacked us. Bin Laden and his forces attacked, not Hussein.

OT: I'm not sure why we constantly portray the Russians/Middle East as bad people. I've watched documentaries on Military Channel about the Spetsnaz and the US Army Rangers, and as far as I'm concerned, every faction is the villain. I have yet to meet a Russian/Arabic person who wants to blow us up.

• 26. Why are the Russians and Arabs always demonized in games/movies ?
    dstr001

But, at the same time Sadam did have to go, as did Bin Laden, and both got what they deserved.

• 27. Re: Why are the Russians and Arabs always demonized in games/movies ?

Orbital0, are you kidding me??  America's thirst for oil and conqest?!?!?!?  OMG!! You must be on of Obama's cool aid drinking followers.  If it was about oil, then why in the hell am I paying 4 bucks a gallon for gas??  Dude, stop sipping the jesus juice and look at reality.  It may get you far in life...just sayin

• 28. Re: Why are the Russians and Arabs always demonized in games/movies ?

It's more than just that. Cheney made some big investments into some big defense contractor, and that same company ended making big money thanks to the war.

But at the same time yeah, Sadam is one of the reasons we went in. Not only because we used his, "He's a bad person, let's get him ou of power" to distract us from some of the profiting people did from the war, but because Sadam made it worse. When the US started saying "Sadam has WMDs," Sadam didn't have any, but he refused to let anyone believe he didn't. He kept this illusion of power so that his people wouldn't revolt against him, and it just added fuel to the fire for us to invade.

Also fallenshadow, Arabic or Muslim? Big difference

• 29. Re: Why are the Russians and Arabs always demonized in games/movies ?

hmm.. My opinion on this is about 9/11. that put it into EVERY americans mind (almost every american at least) that the middle east had some bad dudes, and in COD... you kill some bad dudes, from the middle east.