22 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2011 1:30 PM by petainavis RSS

Deathstreaks and Air Support (people's concerns)?

Here are 2 post that I have posted on other threads about Deathstreaks and Air support (I figured I compile both of them into one thread so I can start a conversation about this). This is strictly my opinion on these 2 subjects and does not reflect anyone else's views.

This first one is about "Deathstreaks" and what role they play in MW3.

Deathstreaks are IW's way to minimize spawn-trapping or a losing team being destroyed. Look at Blops for instance (I like Blops but it did have it's share of problems), spawn trapping and tactical players would destroy enemy players who are less skilled which causes the losing team (who are losing really bad) to quit matches because there is no way to comeback from the slaughter that has commenced hence the reason why they leave mid-game. Like I said many times before, not everyone is going to agree on IW's decision to bring back "Deathstreaks" but I also understand why they did bring them back so that it will minimize the spawn trapping, devastation of losing team and people quiting matches (the losing team at least has a fighting chance to comeback with deathstreaks).

This second one is about "Air support" and how it will not be OP in MW3.

I think any type of air support will be taken down quite quickly because of the addition of point streaks. Let's say if I only need x amount of points for my next killstreak and the enemy just deployed there air support, I would try everything in my power to take it down so I can get my next killstreak (I think the points that you get from taking down air support killstreaks depand on what level killstreak is out). With point streaks, air support will be in the air for a lesser time then in previous COD's because everyone will be trying to take them down so they can get those extra points toward there next killstreak.

Everyone will have there own opinion's on these 2 subjects and that is fine as everyone is entitled to there own opinion but I hope this helps out some people's concern's about "Deathstreaks" and "Air support" being OP in MW3.Thank you everyone for reading.

• Deathstreaks and Air Support?

painkiller was the only terrible deathstreak and it gone as for air support being over powered it wont have time to be over powered where i am

• Deathstreaks and Air Support (people's concerns)?
    vims1990

Deathstreaks IMO is one of many reasons for the devs to appeal COD as a whole to the casual & new players to the franchise.

I started playing COD from COD1. I got smashed, I got humiliated but not once was I rewarded for dying. Since then, I've become a better player than I was when I first played by learning from my mistakes & adjusting to different playstyles/

These days, it's about placing "crutches" for the newcomers.

" I died 4 times in a row, therefore I need a grenade to come out of my ass"

"I died 4 times in a row, therefore I need to fall on my ass and shoot with my primary"

.....and so on.

Isn't there enough support for the newbies?

COD Elite is suppose to be a tool to help players

Survival Modes test your skill and AI opponents.

I understand it'll stay in the game but this is just my opinion on deathstreaks.

• Re: Deathstreaks and Air Support (people's concerns)?
    chalmerzxd

Deathstreaks I haven`t got a problem with (Suck it up folks!) But the harrier was always a problem, thank god it isn`t in MW3, I hate it because it was more or less an airstrike/heli in one go. Everything else though, looks pretty sweet.

the harrier was one of my favorite streaks in mw2 and proberlys one of the easiest to shoot down most harriers dont even make it on to the screen before i shoot them down

@vims1990

I agree with you 100% when it come's to less skilled players being rewarded for being less skilled. I agree with the fact that less skilled players need to learn how to play so they can get better and I am not lowering my skill level so the less skill players feel like they actually have a fighting chance (I always play my hardest no matter who I am playing against skill or no skill). All I am saying is that IW uses "Deathstreaks" to minimize spawn trapping, losing teams being destroyed and people quiting mid-game. Also everyone will be using "Deathstreaks" and keep in mind that even skilled players will have there bad days or bad game session's. Thanks for your opinion on this subject because there are people who feel the same way as you do and all point's of view should be looked at.

vims1990

To be honest mate, in my opinion, none of these deathstreaks will overcome spawn trapping or rage quitting.

If a decent player has a bad game, a deathstreak won't stop them from rage quitting mid-game, they'll either dashboard or quit to prevent their stats changing.

I see more casual players or newcomers stay in the match (even if they're getting owned by air support) more than a player who takes their stats too seriously.

If the developers really wanted to reduce rage quitting, dashboarding or spawn trapping, they would have to remove K/D ratio or any stat recorded in the game. (But I'm sure the hardcore portion of the community would be upset by this change)

OR...

Implement a playlist where stats aren't recorded but you can still gain XP. I can see this playlist becoming popular for all skill levels as you aren't really focused on winning or getting a high K/D ratio.

jamesafc

The only deathstreak that annoyed me was painkiller, so I'm glad that isn't coming back. I'd rather they weren't in the game to start with, but not not going to complain about it - Just going to adapt, like all good players should.

I agree with you about the air support, there's even more incentive to shoot it down this time around It makes me laugh when people complain about how overpowered air support is on MW2. It's only overpowered if the team on the receiving end allows it to be - Not hard to shoot it down..

Yeah I watched an interview witht the IW Executive and he was talking about how they tried to stay away from AI controlled Streaks, and thus in the Assault package there are only two or three streaks that are not controlled by a player.

My concerns have always been with deathstreaks and IWs reasons for adding them. You seem to agree with the 'they help minimize spawn trapping'. This reason is not valid when you take a look at what the deathstreaks ACTUALLY do. Let us take a look.

• Juiced (4 deaths) - Faster sprint for a short amount of time
    • Revenge (5 deaths) - Reveals the position of the enemy who killed you
    • Final Stand (4 deaths) - Stay alive with Primary weapon for short amount of time after next death. Can only crawl
    • Martyrdom (4 deaths) - Drop a live frag grenade on your next death
    • Dead Mans Hand (6 deaths) -  Last stand with a C4
    • Hollow Points (5 deaths) - Bullets do more damage for a short amount of time

I would say at most TWO of these might help minimize spawn trapping. Juiced is probably the only one I can see as a legitimate deathstreak though. Hollow points at a close second. Do the others help prevent spawn trapping? Not a chance. What will falling into Final Stand do for you? You might be able to get a few more shots off and possibly a kill, but the teammates of said enemy will easily clean you up in any spawn trapping situation. What will dropping a grenade at your feet when the enemy is probably never going to be near you going to do? Not a thing. Dead Mans Hand falls in the same category as Final Stand. The final one called Revenge is probably the worst one yet. Being able to see the enemy of the 5th death in a row sounds like retardedness to me. Why do people who die constantly get a streak to allow them a free radar on one guy who clearly out played him?

Deathstreaks have only been added to the game to get more revenue so that the not so good players have some kind of crutch to fall back on. It has nothing to do with spawn trapping. Not one bit. I have never understood why any game developer would give rewards for playing poorly. If you get outplayed, that's your own problem. Figure out how to overcome it.

I agree the only Deathstreak that ever helped with that was Painkiller but everyone found it to be OP. Not saying it was or wasnt. But with the Support Strikepackage I just find it to be a little outdated and uncessecary. They pretty much ended spawn trapping by changing up the fact that little to none of the Streaks are AI controlled and with a tone of stuff to stop them anyway. Deathstreaks were just there own way of adding a different dimension of gameplay. Though pointless because the horrible players will still be horrible I kill you six times you kill me onece because you have extra bullet damage...

First off, where in my post did I say that I was getting "OUTPLAYED" and second, if you actually read down more you will see that I posted that "I DO NOT AGREE WITH LESS SKILLED PLAYERS BEING REWARDED FOR BEING LESS SKILLED". Here is that same post so that you get a better understanding on my views on "Deathstreaks",

I agree with you 100% when it come's to less skilled players being rewarded for being less skilled. I agree with the fact that less skilled players need to learn how to play so they can get better and I am not lowering my skill level so the less skill players feel like they actually have a fighting chance (I always play my hardest no matter who I am playing against skill or no skill). All I am saying is that IW uses "Deathstreaks" to minimize spawn trapping, losing teams being destroyed and people quiting mid-game. Also everyone will be using "Deathstreaks" and keep in mind that even skilled players will have there bad days or bad game session's. Thanks for your opinion on this subject because there are people who feel the same way as you do and all point's of view should be looked at.

I do not understand why you would come on these forums and post a false allegation against me when I never said any such thing plus you contradicted yourself with your statement by saying that "Deathstreaks" do not minimize spawn trapping but yet you say that there are 2 "Deathstreaks" that might help minimize spwan trapping (Which one is it). You are entitled to your opinion and that is fine but please next time, try and not to bash on other forum members as this could cause forum fights. You do make good points in your post as there seems to be only 2 "Deathstreaks" that could help with spawn trapping but the rest do seem useless to help pervent spawn trapping. I have no problems with you, I am just defending myself to your false allegation against me.

I was not stating that it was YOU that was getting outplayed. I was merely stating people in general when I used that form of the word you. I have not once bashed you in my post either. The item I was referring to in your post was mainly the part where you say you understand where IW is coming from when they added deathstreaks. I simply stated my opinion and provided some proof to back up my argument. If you can't handle different opinions or a little criticism, why even start a topic like this?

The TWO deathstreaks I was referring to were the ones I posted right after that sentence. Juiced for the slight speed boost which might lend itself to helping you escape the spawn and Hollow Points for the increased bullet damage for one kill.

@rPatterson

Actually you did bash me by saying "If YOU get outplayed, that's your OWN problem. Figure out how to overcome it" which was a direct reasponse to my post. If you would have typed "people in general" then you would have made your point but you clearly typed the word "YOU" which was a reasponse to me plus I can handle criticism and other people's opinion's but you did bash me by saying that I was a less skilled player when I never said such a thing. Once again you failed to read my previous post where I said that I "Agree" with you on the fact that there are really only 2 "Deathstreaks" that can help minimize spawn trapping. I also said that I do not have a problem with you, just stating facts about what you posted and how you contradicted yourself with your statement. Everyone is entitled to there own opinions but I seen your post as a direct attack and false allegation towards me which I took it as such. You made good points in your post and I respect that but your OP's last statement seemed like a direct attack towards me so I defended myself.

Again, I was not stating that it was YOU that was getting outplayed. I was merely stating people in general when I used that form of the word you. I wrote that sentence as a general statement rather than a response to you as a person/player. Reading it does indeed direct it towards the reader, but it only applies to the people who actually have that problem.

Ok at least we are on the same page with that, now let's get back on topic. "Deathstreaks" is not the solution to spawn trapping but it does help try to minimize the problem. There will always be spawn trapping, tactical players destroying less skilled players and people quiting mid game but some "Deathstreaks" do help minimize the problem. I do not agree with "Deathstreaks" because it does reward less skilled players for being less skilled but I also understand it's purpose in the game which me and everyone else who play's MW3 will just have to accept.

I agree with you. Though I just find Deathstreaks almost pointless now that there is Support Strike Package and so many less AI powered Pointstreaks and that the only ones available are in the Assault Strike Package which hopefully not everyone will be running. So I just expect to see a lot less (not none) spawn traping.

From what I've seen of the COD: XP footage, Air Support was looking pretty fine to me. It lasted a lot longer than Blops air support I can tell you that.