20 Replies Latest reply: Oct 20, 2011 8:44 PM by windeblade13 RSS

The Evolution of Search and Destroy

     As a longtime Call of Duty player, I've played Search and Destroy since Call of Duty 2.  Over the years it has evolved from primarily a skill-based gametype into one that encourages using as many killstreaks as possible while running and gunning.  To me, killstreaks ruined the purity of Search and Destroy.  I preferred COD4/WAW's killstreak system the best.  Getting a UAV in S&D in those days was no small task.  Now it's as easy as cake.  Can someone please convince me that MW3's S&D will be better then what it has been these last few years?  Or does anyone else agree with me?

  • The Evolution of Search and Destroy
    mdub

    Agent Gamer wrote:

     

         As a longtime Call of Duty player, I've played Search and Destroy since Call of Duty 2.  Over the years it has evolved from primarily a skill-based gametype into one that encourages using as many killstreaks as possible while running and gunning.  To me, killstreaks ruined the purity of Search and Destroy.  I preferred COD4/WAW's killstreak system the best.  Getting a UAV in S&D in those days was no small task.  Now it's as easy as cake.  Can someone please convince me that MW3's S&D will be better then what it has been these last few years?  Or does anyone else agree with me?

    IW decided to cater to children in MW2, almost ruining hc snd. One can only hope MW3 is not the same.

  • The Evolution of Search and Destroy

    I completley agree with you. Im not gonna lie I used to play search on COD4 all the time, that was usually the only thing I played. When MW2 came out I tried playing search but it was all about the KS. I have mixed feelings about MW3 search because of the support package of not reseting when you die so you get 3 kills one round and 1 the next and UAV. Those are just some of my thoughts.

  • The Evolution of Search and Destroy
    dirtycallahan

    does anyone know if your point streaks reset each round in search, aside from the support package. i really liked how it was in cod4 with your killstreaks getting reset each round.

    • The Evolution of Search and Destroy

      Chances are it will be just like MW2 and BO.

      • The Evolution of Search and Destroy
        mdub

        windeblade13 wrote:

         

        Chances are it will be just like MW2 and BO.

        You can not even compare hc snd in MW2 to Black Ops. MW2 was filled with OMA, DC tubes, completely overpowered kill streaks etc... At least Black Ops took a little skill to be good at hc snd.

        • The Evolution of Search and Destroy

          Well they were different and I don't know about you but for the first 6 to 8 months I played MW2 no one used noobtubes and OMA like they did towards the final months through current. And yeah MW2 and black ops have differences but I meant for it to be a remarke based upon the killstreaks not reseting each round.

          • The Evolution of Search and Destroy
            mdub

            windeblade13 wrote:

             

            Well they were different and I don't know about you but for the first 6 to 8 months I played MW2 no one used noobtubes and OMA like they did towards the final months through current. And yeah MW2 and black ops have differences but I meant for it to be a remarke based upon the killstreaks not reseting each round.

            Here's to sledgehammer hopefully bringing skill back to hc snd in MW3. Fingers crossed!

            • The Evolution of Search and Destroy

              I am not really a big HC fan I do play it just prefer core. But I just hope they do make it a little different because SnD in felt stale sometimes I mean if you had a good team and your opponents were a good team it was rather interesting but that almost never happened. It always felt like I was being killed by random actions of stupid people weather on my team or my opponents team.

               

              I once got killed by the same guy in the same place 3 times in a row, it was on summit and he would jump through on of the windows and land down below right behind me everytime somehow as I would run under there and it was not the first thing I did when the round began it was just coincidence I reviewed the game and there was no way he could have known I was there any of the three times.

              • The Evolution of Search and Destroy
                mdub

                windeblade13 wrote:

                 

                I am not really a big HC fan I do play it just prefer core. But I just hope they do make it a little different because SnD in felt stale sometimes I mean if you had a good team and your opponents were a good team it was rather interesting but that almost never happened. It always felt like I was being killed by random actions of stupid people weather on my team or my opponents team.

                 

                I once got killed by the same guy in the same place 3 times in a row, it was on summit and he would jump through on of the windows and land down below right behind me everytime somehow as I would run under there and it was not the first thing I did when the round began it was just coincidence I reviewed the game and there was no way he could have known I was there any of the three times.

                I refuse to play core because of the red dots on the mini map. That was another thing that IW did to butcher hc snd in MW2. If you hit start, it would still show red dots (with unsilenced weapons) in hc. It takes the skill out of trying to outsmart people in my humble opinion. If core got rid of the red dots, I'd play it.

                • The Evolution of Search and Destroy

                  That don't bother me at all and honestly I don't have much an issue with HC as some people I just don't like the fact that everyone camps like way to many people camp and the fact it is so easy to kill people that if you just run around hipfiring with the right gun it pretty much takes all the skill out of it. I use to play nothing but HC then after i was done leveling and had all my stuff unlocked I got a little bored and started playing Core and found it a much harder challenge. I eventually went back to HC and found it to be soooo easy, I would always win anything best on my team and mostly due to the fact I did not camp. I just dislike the reduced health because one shot with some guns from any range will kill and its just to easy. Where as in core I there are times where aiming for more than half a second matters.

                  • The Evolution of Search and Destroy
                    mdub

                    windeblade13 wrote:

                     

                    That don't bother me at all and honestly I don't have much an issue with HC as some people I just don't like the fact that everyone camps like way to many people camp and the fact it is so easy to kill people that if you just run around hipfiring with the right gun it pretty much takes all the skill out of it. I use to play nothing but HC then after i was done leveling and had all my stuff unlocked I got a little bored and started playing Core and found it a much harder challenge. I eventually went back to HC and found it to be soooo easy, I would always win anything best on my team and mostly due to the fact I did not camp. I just dislike the reduced health because one shot with some guns from any range will kill and its just to easy. Where as in core I there are times where aiming for more than half a second matters.

                    There is definately truth in that. I always found there was actually more gun balance in hc than in core. Example in core-Vector vs UMP= UMP. In hc- Vector vs UMP= the Vector had a chance.

                    • The Evolution of Search and Destroy

                      But where you  see crapy guns being usable I just see guns don't matter. Actually one of my favorite things to do was play private games where the health and health regen were inbetween Core and HC (in MW2) and it was amazing it evened out gameplay so much.

                      • The Evolution of Search and Destroy
                        mdub

                        windeblade13 wrote:

                         

                        But where you  see crapy guns being usable I just see guns don't matter. Actually one of my favorite things to do was play private games where the health and health regen were inbetween Core and HC (in MW2) and it was amazing it evened out gameplay so much.

                        I still cant get over the red dots on the map

                        • The Evolution of Search and Destroy

                          Yeah it can be annoying and but I think it takes more skill to play around that to be conscious of your weapon and teammates weapons while choosing your battles with your opponents that you can see. The way I see it all it does it make it a bit harder for campers. It really does not bother me because if someone is just chasing dots then they will most likely get killed because I will not be there and should have team cover so I just do not find it to be an issue plus it gives a real good reason to use a silencer.

                          • The Evolution of Search and Destroy
                            mdub

                            I cant stomach someone being able to know where your at by red dots. I guess it just feels like more of a challenge to have to search for them instead of starring at the map. I do like your theory its just those damn dots!!

                            • The Evolution of Search and Destroy

                              Yeah I would agree to less dots or maybe making them appear for only a reallly super quick flash if people did not camp. Idk its just in my opinon you should not have a hard time with people finding you unless you are in the same spot hell I mean shoot in one spot then move the the other end of the room or something and wait for someone to chase your dot (typical noob tactic) and kill them I just see free kills is all.

                              • The Evolution of Search and Destroy
                                mdub

                                You do make me re think core, I'll give you that.

                                • The Evolution of Search and Destroy

                                  Trust me it is not perfect by any means and it often just depends on my mood which I play. But I hate killcams the only time I enjoy it is to see how some lucky prick stuck me from halfway across the board lol. But yeah I think if they made a mid way game type will not super low health but not core health, and very low helath regen, take out killcam and speed up the time you show up on the map when you shoot then it would be amazing.

  • The Evolution of Search and Destroy

    Why can't we just have it like it used to be?? 3/5/7?