See the Official Rules for the Call of Duty® Championship 2014.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: Call of Duty® $1 Million Championship 2014 (the "Tournament") is a contest of skill that is open only to the thirty-two (32) teams (each a "Team") as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion from previous regional qualifying tournaments ("Qualifying Tournaments"). Each Team is made up of a Roster of four (4) eligible Players. Players of each team must be at least eighteen (18) years old as of the start date of the Tournament. Each team will be required to show government issued identification for verification that each player meets these eligibility requirements as well as parental consent (where team member is younger than age of majority in his/her place of residence) confirming agreement with participation and these Official Rules. Qualifying teams may not include any employees of Activision Publishing, Inc., Microsoft Corporation, HelloWorld, Inc., any entity involved in the promotion of this Tournament, and/or any of their parent and affiliate companies as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members. The Tournament is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations of the United States and is void where prohibited.
2. Sponsor: Activision Publishing, Inc., 3100 Ocean Park Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90405. Administrator: HelloWorld, Inc., One ePrize Drive, Pleasant Ridge, MI 48069.
3. Agreement to Official Rules: Participation in this Tournament constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules, the Code of Conduct (which will be made available at the Tournament), and Sponsor's decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to this Tournament. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
4. Timing: The Tournament begins on March 28, 2014 at approximately 10:00 a.m. PT and ends on March, 30 2014 no later than 11:59 p.m. PT (the "Tournament Period"). The Tournament will take place in a venue in Los Angeles, California to be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Information about the venue and check-in times will be conveyed to each team before the start date.
5. Equipment Restrictions: All player equipment is subject to approval by Sponsor. Sponsor will not permit the use of any equipment that may provide an unfair competitive advantage. Specifically, players may not use a Turbo controller, a Button Macro controller, a Wireless controller, or a Play and Charge Kit. Players may also not use a control that has been modified to allow for an alteration in a game character's abilities or any other game mechanics. Players are also not permitted to use a keyboard, mouse, or keyboard and mouse adapter. Players may make cosmetic changes to their controller. Teams are allowed to use their own gaming headset provided the headset does not require a USB connector or additional power. The Sponsor reserves the right to refuse the use of any equipment it deems inappropriate for the tournament.
6. Substitution of Players on Teams: If an individual on a qualifying Team is not able to participate due to a medical condition that would prevent an individual from participating (as approved by Sponsor and/or Judges), Teams may make a substitution. If an individual must drop out due to unforeseen circumstances, he/she will be required to provide written notice of this change to the Judges and/or Sponsor no later than March 15th, 2014. The Team may request approval to include an eligible substitute for this individual before the start of the Tournament. Each team will be required to show government issued identification for verification that each player meets these eligibility requirements. Once all Team players have been verified and the Tournament has begun, no substitutions will be permitted except for illness or inability to participate due to events beyond an individual's control as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion.
7. Tournament Play & Winner Determination: There will be two (2) rounds of the Tournament ("Round"): Group Play and the Playoff Bracket (collectively, “Gameplay”). During each Round of the Tournament, Sponsor will provide a detailed program for the applicable Round, including team check-in times, start times for each match, and type and number of games that will be played in the match, and how winner for the match will be determined.
Sponsor's appointed panel of representatives and referee (herein, "Judges") will oversee all Gameplay to review overall fairness, compliance with these Official Rules, scoring accuracy and disqualification, if necessary. The decision of the Judges shall be final.
Scoring will be determined by the points automatically accumulated while playing games and attempting to complete the applicable objectives in the game mode for the particular game. The Team with the highest score at the completion of an applicable game will be deemed the winning Team.
Group Play: Sponsor will divide the thirty-two (32) teams from Qualifying Tournaments into eight (8) groups of four (4) Teams each based on Sponsor's discretion. Each Team will play one (1) Match against each other Team in their respective Group. A Match is defined as a best of five (5) Games series. The first Team that wins three (3) Games wins the Match and will be awarded a Match Win, and the losing Team receives a Match Loss.
The two (2) Teams with the best record from each Group will advance to the Playoff Bracket round of the Tournament. The other two (2) Teams will not continue in the Tournament. In the event that two teams have the same record, the team that won the head-to-head matchup will advance. In the event that more than two teams have the same record and head-to-head matchups are inconclusive, a single, best of one (1) Game sudden death playoff will be played between the tied Teams.
Playoff Bracket: The top two (2) Teams from each Group will advance into a 16 team double elimination bracket.
The top placing Team from each Group will be designated as a High Seed with the second place Team from each Group will be designated as a Low Seed for the Playoff Bracket. Each High Seed will be randomly selected to be seeds number one (1) through (8) and each Low Seed will be randomly selected to be seeds number nine (9) through 16.
In the first round of the Playoff Bracket:
Seed #1 plays Seed #16
Seed #2 plays Seed #15
Seed #3 plays Seed #14
Seed #4 plays Seed #13
Seed #5 plays Seed #12
Seed #6 plays Seed #11
Seed #7 plays Seed #10
Seed #8 plays Seed #9
Teams will compete head-to-head in best of five (5) Game Matches. The first Team to win three Games wins the Match. The eight (8) Teams that win their Match in the first round of this bracket will be placed in the "Upper Round" and the eight (8) Teams that lose their Match in the first round of this bracket will be places in the "Lower Round." Teams advance through the Playoff Bracket with Teams winning each Match advancing through the Upper Round and Teams losing each Match dropping to the Lower Round until a winner is determined. If a lower seeded team defeats a higher seeded team, the lower seeded team assumes the higher seed's position in the Upper Round and the higher seeded team assumes the lower seed's position in the Lower Round. The Playoff Bracket is not re-seeded between rounds.
In the Lower Rounds of the Playoff Bracket, the teams will compete in a best-of-five (5) Game Match. A Team is eliminated from the Playoff Bracket when they lose two (2) best of five (5) Game Matches (one (1) best of five (5) Game Match in the Upper Rounds of the Playoff Bracket and one (1) best of five (5) Game Match in the Lower Round of the Playoff Bracket).
If the Teams scheduled to play each other in the Championship Match also played each other in the Winners Bracket (also referred to as "Upper Round"), their Match will expand to Best of 11 Games, include the previous Match results, and pick up where that Match left off. For example, if the Winners Bracket Team beat the Losers Bracket (also referred to as "Lower Round") Team 3 Games to 0 in the Winners Bracket, the Best of 11 will resume with Game 4 and the Winners Bracket Team leading 3 Games to 0. The winner of a Best of 11 Games Championship Match will win the Event.
If the Teams scheduled to play each other in the Championship Match didn’t play each other in the Winners Bracket, an initial Best of 5 Games Match must be played. If the Team that came from the Winners Bracket wins the initial Match, they will win the Event. If the Team that came from the Losers Bracket wins the initial Match, the Match will expand to Best of 11 Games, include the initial Match results, and pick up where that Match left off. For example, if the Losers Bracket Team beat the Winners Bracket Team 3 Games to 0 in the initial Match, the Best of 11 will resume with Game 4 and the Losers Bracket Team leading 3 Games to 0. The winner of a Best of 11 Games Championship Match will win the Event.
The top eight (8) Teams as determined by this Playoff Bracket will be eligible to win a prize. The top two (2) Teams will be determined by the Playoff Bracket. The remaining six (6) teams may need to play additional matches to determine their prize placement. Details regarding the prize placement playoffs will be described at the Tournament.
Maps, Game Modes, Match Cadence, Veto System & Tie Breaker rules for Tournament
The following Game Modes and Maps will be used throughout the Tournament and each Team may choose to select or veto from the following combinations:
• Blitz - Freight
• Blitz - Octane
• Blitz - Warhawk
• Domination - Freight
• Domination - Octane
• Domination - Sovereign
• Domination - Strikezone
• Search and Destroy - Freight
• Search and Destroy - Octane
• Search and Destroy - Sovereign
• Search and Destroy – Warhawk
All best of five (5) Game Matches played throughout the tournament will follow the following match cadence:
• Domination Game Mode for Games 1 & 4, the Search & Destroy Game Mode for Games 2 & 5, and the Blitz Game Mode for Game 3.
• Any best of eleven (11) Game Matches played throughout the tournament will follow the following match cadence for games 6-11:
• Blitz Game Mode for Games 6 & 9, the Domination Game Mode for Games 7 & 10, and the Search & Destroy Game Mode for Games 8 & 11.
Veto System & Game Mode/Map Selection
• All Game Mode/Map combination vetoes & Game Mode/Map combination choices must be made prior to the start of a Match.
• No Game Mode/Map combination may be played more than once in a match, including the Championship Match.
• All Match hosting will be done on a neutral host controlled by a game administrator.
• Group Play Matches – For each Game Match, a coin flip will determine which Team will act as "Team A" or "Team B."
• Teams will Veto Game Mode/Map combinations in the following manner:
o Team A vetos the first Game Mode/Map Combination;
o Team B vetos the next two Game Mode/Map Combinations;
o Team A vetos the next two Game Mode/Map Combinations; and
o Team B vetos the final Game Mode/Map Combination.
Teams may only veto one Blitz Map, one Domination Map, and one Search & Destroy Map in total. Any vetoed Game Mode/Map Combinations will not be played in the Match.
• Game Selection: Team B will choose the Map for Game 1 from the Domination Game Maps that were not vetoed, and Team A will choose the Map for Game 2 from the Search & Destroy Game Maps that were not vetoed.
• Playoff Bracket Matches - The higher seeded Team chooses to act as Team A or Team B.
• Teams will Veto Game Mode/Map combinations in the following manner:
o Team A vetos the first Game Mode/Map Combination;,
o Team B vetos the next two Game Mode/Map Combinations;
o Team A vetos the next two Game Mode/Map Combinations; and
o Team B vetos the final Game Mode/Map Combination
o Teams may only veto one Blitz Map, one Domination Map, and one Search & Destroy Map in total. Any vetoed "Game Mode/Map Combinations" will not be played in the Match.
• Game Selection: Team B will choose the Map for Game 1 from the Domination Mode -Maps that were not vetoed, and Team A will choose the Map for Game 2 from the Search & Destroy Mode Maps that were not vetoed.
• Championship Match –
o If Teams played in the Winners Bracket - If Games 4 and/or 5 weren’t played in the Winners Bracket, the Game(s) will be played first, using the Game Mode/Map Combinations that was originally designated for the applicable Game(s). The Winners Bracket Team must choose the Blitz Map for Game 6. The Losers Bracket Team must then choose the Domination Map for Game 7. Finally, the Winners Bracket Team must choose the Search & Destroy Map for Game 8. Games 9, 10, and 11 will be played on the Maps that remain for each Game Mode.
o If Teams didn’t play in the Winners Bracket - The Winners Bracket Team must choose to act as Team A or Team B.
Teams will Veto Game Mode/Map combinations in the following manner:
• Team A vetos the first Game Mode/Map Combinations;
• Team B vetos the next two Game Mode/Map Combination;
• Team A vetos the next two Game Mode/Map Combination; and Team B vetos the final Game Mode/Map Combination.
• Teams must each veto one Blitz Map, one Domination Map, and one Search & Destroy Map. The vetoed Game Mode/Map Combinations will not be played in the initial Match.
o If Teams didn't play in the Winners Bracket and the Losers Bracket Teams wins the Championship Match's initial Best of 5 Games Match - If Games 4 and/or 5 weren’t played in the initial Best of 5 Games Match, the Game(s) will be played first, using the Game Mode/Map Combinations that was originally designated for the applicable Game(s). The Winners Bracket Team must choose the Blitz Map for Game 6. The Losers Bracket Team must then choose the Domination Map for Game 7. Finally, the Winners Bracket Team must choose the Search & Destroy Map for Game 8. Games 9, 10, and 11 will be played on the Maps that remain for each Game Mode.
• Game Selection: Team B must then choose the Game Type/Map Combination for Game 1 from the Domination Maps that weren’t vetoed, and Team A must choose the Game Type/Map Combination for Game 2 from the Search & Destroy Maps that weren’t vetoed. If the Losers Bracket Team wins the initial Match, the Teams will then follow the procedure outlined above for "Championship Match – If Teams played in the Winner's Bracket."
• In all games played – Team A will begin each game as Ghosts and Team B will begin each game as Federation. In the case of Domination game mode – a full game of Domination is defined as 2 individual games where each team plays once as Ghosts and once as Federation.
• A tie for any game is defined as both Teams accumulating the same total score at the completion of a Blitz Game or a full game of Domination.
• In the event of a tie – both teams must replay the same game over again (up to 3 times) to determine a winner before moving on to the next game mode in the match.
• If a tie occurs three times consecutively - a Search & Destroy game will be played with the map chosen by the referee.
8. Sponsor's Right To Disqualify or Penalize Teams: At any time during the Tournament, Sponsor reserves the right to penalize a Team, or disqualify and remove a Team from further competition if it determines in its sole discretion that the Team has violated these Official Rules, acted in any manner that is contrary to the operation of the Tournament or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner or violated the Code of Conduct. Such behavior includes, but is not limited to any type of cheating, perceived cheating, underage drinking (legal drinking age in the USA is 21), distracting of other Teams, or interfering in any way with other Teams during Gameplay by a player or non-entrant acting in collusion with a player, either by any member of a Team or a spectator as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. If any one player on a Team is disqualified, the entire Team will also be ineligible to continue and will be disqualified from further play or receipt of a prize. In the event that one of the top eight (8) Teams is disqualified, the prize may be awarded to the next highest placing Team, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. The Code of Conduct document is hereby included by reference as part of these Official Rules.
9. Winner Requirements: Each participant from the top eight (8) Teams will receive email confirmation of the prize placement on or around April 10, 2014. Except where prohibited, each potential winner (parent/legal guardian if a winner is a minor in his/her place of residence) will be required to sign and return a Declaration of Compliance, Liability and Publicity Release, which must be received by Administrator within five (5) days of the date notice or attempted notice is sent, in order to claim his/her prize. If a potential winner cannot be contacted, fails to sign and return the Declaration of Compliance, Liability and Publicity Release within the required time period, does not comply with these Official Rules, the potential winner forfeits the prize. If a potential winner is disqualified for any reason, the prize may be awarded to a runner-up determined by the qualified judges, in Sponsor's sole discretion. Only three (3) alternate winners may be determined, and any prizes not claimed by alternates shall be considered forfeited and shall be donated to a charity of Sponsor’s choosing at its sole discretion.
10. Publicity: Participation in this Tournament and acceptance of any prize shall constitute and signify the participant’s agreement and consent that Sponsor and its designees may use the winner’s name, gamer tag, nickname or alias, city, state, image or likeness, biographical information and/or prize information in connection with the Tournament for promotional, advertising or other purposes, worldwide, in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, including the Internet, without limitation and without further payment, notification, permission or other consideration, except where prohibited by law. All entries and materials submitted to Sponsor and/or Administrator in connection with the Tournament (“Submissions”), along with all copyright, trademark and other proprietary rights associated therewith, are hereby irrevocably and free of charge assigned by you to Sponsor and become the property of Sponsor upon submission, and Submissions will not be returned to any entrant. Furthermore, Teams understand that Sponsor and/or its respective agents will video, photograph and otherwise document the Tournament (“Prize Footage”). Winner agrees that Sponsor shall own the Prize Footage and Submissions and that Sponsor, its respective designees, assignees and licensees shall have the right to edit, exploit, adapt, distribute, post, create derivative works from, and otherwise use the Prize Footage or Submissions, in whole or in part, and in combination with other materials, in any manner, for any advertising, promotional, trade, commercial or other purposes in any and all media, now or hereafter devised, worldwide in perpetuity, without further payment or consideration, notification or permission. Sponsor shall not incur any liability whatsoever to the extent Sponsor chooses to refrain from any exploitation of its rights hereunder. Each winner will indemnify Sponsor, Released Parties (as defined in Section 12, below) and any licensee of Sponsor against all claims, damages, liabilities, and expenses (including reasonable counsel fees and legal expenses) arising out of any breach of these terms.
ONE (1) FIRST PRIZE: $400,000 distributed evenly among the players of the team.
ONE (1) SECOND PRIZE: $200,000 distributed evenly among the players of the team.
ONE (1) THIRD PRIZE: $120,000 distributed evenly among the players of the team.
ONE (1) FOURTH PRIZE: $100,000 distributed evenly among the players of the team.
ONE (1) FIFTH PRIZE: $70,000 distributed evenly among the players of the team.
ONE (1) SIXTH PRIZE: $50,000 distributed evenly among the players of the team.
ONE (1) SEVENTH PRIZE: $35,000 USD distributed equally among the players of the team.
ONE (1) EIGHTH PRIZE: $25,000 USD distributed equally among the players of the team.
Prizes are non-transferable and no substitution will be made except as provided herein at the Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize for one of equal or greater value if the designated prize should become unavailable for any reason. For all non-U.S. winners, 30% of the prize value will be withheld and remitted to the IRS to comply with U.S. tax laws. Winners who are residents of the U.S. will receive an IRS Form 1099 at the end of the calendar year and a copy of such form will be filed with the IRS. Each winner is responsible for all taxes and fees associated with prize receipt and/or use. Limit: One (1) prize per person. Prizes will be fulfilled 8 – 10 weeks after conclusion of the Tournament.
12. Release: By receipt of any prize, winners agree to release and hold harmless the Sponsor, Microsoft Corporation, Administrator and their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, advertising/promotion agencies, and prize suppliers, and each of their respective parent companies and each such company’s officers, directors, employees and agents (collectively, the "Released Parties") from and against any claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death, or damage to or loss of property, arising out of participation in the Tournament or receipt or use or misuse of any prize.
13. General Conditions: Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Tournament, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures, human error or any other factor impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Tournament, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. If terminated, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, determine the winners from among all non-suspect, eligible Gameplay up to time of such action using the judging procedure outlined above. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the Gamplay process or the operation of the Tournament or to be acting in violation of the Official Rules of this or any other promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner and void all associated Gameplay. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Tournament may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages and other remedies (including attorneys’ fees) from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Sponsor reserves the right to patch or update any Call of Duty games at any time to fix bugs, change balance, or add/remove features as deemed appropriate by the Sponsor, in its sole discretion, with or without suspending, shortening, extending, rescheduling, or canceling the Tournament.
14. Limitations of Liability: Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrant, printing, typographical or other errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Tournament; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the Submission process or the Tournament; (4) printing, typographical, technical, computer, network or human error which may occur in the administration of the Tournament, the uploading, the processing or judging of Gameplay, the announcement of the prizes or in any Tournament-related materials; (5) late, lost, undeliverable, damaged or stolen mail; or (6) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Tournament or receipt or use or misuse of any prize (including any travel/activity related thereto). Released Parties are not responsible for misdirected or undeliverable Submissions or for any technical problems, malfunctions of computer systems, servers, providers, hardware/software, lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission or any combination thereof. Released Parties are not responsible for any unauthorized third-party use of any Submission.
15. Disputes: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Tournament or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan (Southern Division) or the appropriate Michigan State Court located in Oakland County, Michigan; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Tournament, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Tournament, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Michigan without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of Michigan or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Michigan.
16. Winner List: For a winner list, visit http://bit.ly/1c1tbcZ. The winner list will be posted after winner confirmation is complete, for a 30 day period.
17. Copyright Notice. The Tournament and all accompanying materials are copyright © 2014 Activision Publishing, Inc., and its respective licensors. All rights are reserved.
REVISION March 24, 2014: Due to the disqualification of one of the Teams from the Qualifying Tournaments and the inability (due to travel restrictions) to include an alternate Team, there will only be thirty-one (31) Teams included in the Contest. The initial eight (8) groups were formed by random selection. One of these groups will only have three (3) Teams. The two (2) Teams within this group with the best record after Group Play will move forward in the Contest.