My Twitter timeline is blowing up with commentary about the knife as a melee weapon and how being killed with it can be fustrating to players. We've thought about and discussed ALL of these and several others:
1. Get rid of the knife entirelly.
2. Get rid of the knife entirelly and return to using your gun to butt someone.
3. Make the knife something you have to equip before you can slash it.
4. Have guns do more damage at "melee knife ranges" so that if you need a single bullet or two to drop someone about to stab you.
5. Create a "Knife Vest" as a perk or similar that protects you.
6. Changing the tuning of the knife to do variable, or half, the damage it does right now
7. Do nothing. We already nerfed the melee lunge/attack range.
8. Do away with the melee lunge entirelly.
Did I miss any?
Make it so that it is a 2 hit knife to the front of the player and a 1 hit knife to the back of the player and get rid of the lunge entirely. I think that is fair...if not, make it a secondary weapon...love that you guys are asking the community though, that is AWESOME!
Make the knife like Battlefield where you have to be behind them for it to be a one hit kill and it has to be a stealth type kill, you have to put it away after using it, and it will go into a short animation upon the stealth kill so you're vulnerable for a second while using it.
I've tossed the idea around in my head for some time, as the knife can be a little frustrating, well at least the lunge. When thinking about it, I much prefer using the butt of the gun to hit people and be a two hit kill.
If the knife stays, I'd like to see, that when someone does lunge with the knife, if someone fires at that person all lunge is stopped.