17 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2013 10:27 PM by onewiseguy RSS

Perma-Perks: How they are lost

Hey, so I've been doing a bit of research lately on the perma-perks (or I guess persistent-perks is a better name since you can lose them).

What I've been been focusing on in particular is how you lose them. I have determined precisely what causes you to lose quick revive, overkill, and steel barriers.

Quick Revive: This is lost by failing to revive a teammate. If you do not attempt to revive the teammate when they go down, it does not count against you. If you try to revive a teammate but cannot complete the revive, and that teammate ends up dying - you lose persistent quick revive.

Overkill: This is lost by killing enough zombies in a row without headshots. Sort of a 'if you don't use it, you lose it' situation. I lost mine after roughly 25 kills in a row that were not headshots, but I think the specific number is variable. The point is, a single instakill can make you lose it on a higher round if you stop aiming for the head, so be careful to hit a headshot every few kills (unless it's real early in the game, in which case you probably don't need the damage bonus yet).

Steel Barriers: This is lost by not repairing a window in a round. Each round you have the steel barriers you must repair at least one plank if you do not wish to lose it.

To test my theories for this, I went into a custom game with a friend of mine, and demonstrated the loss of each of these persistent perks. Unfortunately, I'm on an xbox and don't have a capture card. I saved the film, but I can't upload it. If anyone would like to see the film, send me a message, or if anyone could upload it, I could type up an explanation of what I'm demonstrating.

Hope this helps, peace!

• Re: Perma-Perks: How they are lost

I'm a window whore. I rebuild barricades every round!

FreeHugs-MWAD wrote:

Hey, so I've been doing a bit of research lately on the perma-perks (or I guess persistent-perks is a better name since you can lose them).

What I've been been focusing on in particular is how you lose them. I have determined precisely what causes you to lose quick revive, overkill, and steel barriers.

Quick Revive: This is lost by failing to revive a teammate. If you do not attempt to revive the teammate when they go down, it does not count against you. If you try to revive a teammate but cannot complete the revive, and that teammate ends up dying - you lose persistent quick revive.

Overkill: This is lost by killing enough zombies in a row without headshots. Sort of a 'if you don't use it, you lose it' situation. I lost mine after roughly 25 kills in a row that were not headshots, but I think the specific number is variable. The point is, a single instakill can make you lose it on a higher round if you stop aiming for the head, so be careful to hit a headshot every few kills (unless it's real early in the game, in which case you probably don't need the damage bonus yet).

Steel Barriers: This is lost by not repairing a window in a round. Each round you have the steel barriers you must repair at least one plank if you do not wish to lose it.

To test my theories for this, I went into a custom game with a friend of mine, and demonstrated the loss of each of these persistent perks. Unfortunately, I'm on an xbox and don't have a capture card. I saved the film, but I can't upload it. If anyone would like to see the film, send me a message, or if anyone could upload it, I could type up an explanation of what I'm demonstrating.

Hope this helps, peace!

i had my steelys at the start but when i left the turbine room and got on the bus they were gone

This post seems 100% accurate. I've lost deadshot at the beginning of round 3 since I wasn't previously going for headshots. I always lose steel barricades, but it's mainly because I hold down tunnel for 10-15 rounds. I should technically still have quick revive since I've been playing solo, but that might be gone since I wasn't using it for a couple weeks.

A lot of people say they are just temporary perks, but if you unlock them properly you can still have them everyday on round 1. I think the catch is that you have to play every couple of days, and make sure you still have all of them on the last round you played.

About a week ago I realized that in order to keep the steel barricades so I can have them on the first round, I had to unock them and let the zombie kill me on the same round. Don't worry about boarding windows on early rounds, and just get to round 10. Keep one last zombie, and when the bus comes back keep him on the window until you get steel barricades (doesn't even take a full circuit). Let that zombie kill you, and the next time you play you'll have them on the first round, this technique never fails.

i have 2 theories on what not to do when you get the pera-quick revive.  dont ever buy quick revive.  i went down on the same round when i got it.  when i got back up i had lost the perma-qiuck revive.  i also lost quick revive when i got the 15-17 revives.  so i guessed that time it cancelled the one i had.  so now im left with no quick revive

Losing quick revive is legit if you fail to get them up after you start but the other 2 just reset at the beginning of each match. I have never lost barricades or overkill mid game no matter what. Every new game I do not have either. They are just bonuses in the game to help you reach higher rounds. Nothing more.

alright ill have to remeber that

You can start a match with all of them. I have a video of when I played in my file share (though I've had rough luck uploading it, I don't have a capture card) with steel barricades and the headshot upgrade in round 1. If you don't lose those two upgrades, then you are playing in such a way as to not lose them. ie, repairing windows regularly, and regularly headshoting enemies. My low round strat is very different from my high round one, so I lose and gain the upgrades almost every game (except for quick revive, I try not to lose that one). Listen for the audio queue to know when you lose them.

I keep losing my quick revive and i don't fail to pick up a downed player. I lose it mid game every time i get it back. Its driving me nuts lol!