27 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2014 1:59 AM by DarkThrasher28 RSS

The Ballista with Iron Sights. Cheap or Legit?

I want to know what you guys think about the ballista w/iron sights.

I like the ballista with iron sights. I think it's a challenging weapon to use. And if you are good with it, then it can be very rewarding. I hear some people say that it's a POS weapon, I hear people say that it is part of the problem with snipers in BO2, and I hear people with a similar opinion as mine.

So lets set the record straight.

Is it part of the problem with sniping in BO2 or is it a legit weapon?

• Test #1
          Re: The Ballista with Iron Sights. Cheap or Legit?

I guess since its in the game and iron sights is an option. its legit. but lets face it.  why can't any of the other rifles remove the scope?. Only one gun is worthy? Its cheap. Snipers are meant to be long range weapons. iron sights are for generally shot range weapons. I don't understand why tryarch want a fast paced run and gun hit and run game then add this kinda gun. a OHK with easy to shoot sights and easy to handle performance.  Why not just make it a full auto sniper rifle with max power and call it a day.

Last Edited: May 14, 2013 2:45 PM
          • Test #1

Personally, I don't like to use a sniper rifle. I'm not good with them nor do I care to be.

I have been attempting to rank the Ballista to use the iron sights. I enjoy the KSG, but wouldn't mind some more distance.

I vote legit

Last Edited: May 14, 2013 2:47 PM
            • Test #1

Anyone who cries about any weapon is a noob with a small penis. So I vote legit.

Last Edited: May 14, 2013 2:55 PM
              • Test #1

I find it funny that people call it out as a cheap weapon attachment but most people don't really use it. It's not as easy as it seems. You actually need skills to use it. If you think its OP then use it and see how you stack up against me. =P

Last Edited: May 14, 2013 4:24 PM
                • Test #1

i ask why ever use a sniper rifle.i use an mk48 with grip silencer and zoom scope same set up on an lsat mannnnnnnnnny more rounds as acurrate as any sniper at long range and easy to kill quick scopers at range.most quit the game going against me with that set up(no easy kills)

Last Edited: May 14, 2013 4:31 PM
                  • Test #1

If there was no lag in this game i would say it would be cheap but since Blops 2 is so damn laggy its legit. Also the Ballista is a hit marker machine if you cant get a headshot. Its fun in combat training. Then i play real people and get destroyed with my 3-bar connection.

Last Edited: May 14, 2013 5:13 PM
                    • Test #1

Some people may like it. imo it takes away the whole purpose of the sniper rifle. I wouldnt call it cheap at all.

It takes away the whole advantage of using a sniper. I think its worthless without the scope but like I said some people may like it.

Last Edited: Sep 9, 2013 6:11 PM
                      • Test #1

I like the Ballista with iron sight because it still packs the range and OHK potential of a regular sniper rifle but I really dont like the scopes (which is why I rarely snipe). So, I'll trade the extra zoom and loss of peripheral vision for an iron sight so I can have a much clearer view of my surroundings.

For the person who asked why there is only 1 sniper with iron sights, it would be a  bit of over kill if they all had it. Iron sight DSR would be a much more powerful version Ballista with a larger OHK hit box. And Iron sight SVU/XPR (semi-auto) would completely negate the need for using a the FAL/SMR because it'll still be a OHK to the head/neck o a 2 hit kill at extremely long ranges.

Last Edited: Sep 9, 2013 6:30 PM
                        • Test #1

it reminds me of the cod waw days. I still play this game often on the computer.

Last Edited: Sep 9, 2013 7:02 PM
                          • Test #1

It's legit. Takes some practice to get used to.

Last Edited: Sep 9, 2013 9:40 PM
                            • Test #1

I preferred using it iron sight or acog. Just seemed to me to handle better that way.

Last Edited: Sep 9, 2013 10:18 PM
                              • Test #1

i gave up going for the 500 kills with the iron sight.

its not as easy and its connection depandeble .

on HC you better be spot or your dead.

its legit.

i  rarely seen it used though.

Last Edited: Sep 9, 2013 11:59 PM
                                • Test #1

I personally think it's good on zombies for headshots but not for multiplayer.

Last Edited: Sep 10, 2013 12:11 AM
                                  • Test #1

Anyone who thinks its cheap should pick it up and have a go with it. They'll soon put it down. On the DSR or SVU/XPR I could see where they'd be coming from, but not on the Ballista. That gun takes precision to use well.

Last Edited: Sep 10, 2013 1:12 AM
                                    • Test #1

Definitions:

Cheap: Any thing that people can do that kills me; but when I try, I fail because I suck

n00b: anyone who kills me when I "think" my skills are superior, but in reality I got outplayed and suck

OP: Any gun that I seemglingly cannot beat, but in reality I suck I refused to admit it.

POS: Something that I cannot use, or do not wish to for some other reason (mainly: I suck using it)

On- topic:

The ballista with iron sights (and for the sake fo argument, a laser as well attached): because a Short Range OHK machine.  The catch is:

- it is not quite a shotgun because it has no bullet spread (BO2 KSG excluded) : slight balance

- it is not quite a sniper because it has no scope for long range: Arguable balance

- it is not quite a FAL/M14(BO): although it has OHK capabilities, it has a much lower fire rate allowing for one to out manoeuvre (spelling?) the 1st shot (arguable balance)

(personal opinion): I do not think it is cheap because it is not a redonkulously (love that made up word) easy thing to get kills with (if it was, more people would be doing it).  It is obviously not a POS weapon because some people are using it (and do well).

Bottom line: people hate getting killed by OHK weapons because they think they should have been awarded the kill because they shot 1st. Solution: play HC (this is a inherit problem with CORE modes... not saying CORE is bad, just saying).  The same argument has been said about SMGs over ARs: the player can move and shoot faster so they often win battles they should have lost.  Thus the nerfing of SMGs, and fire rates on snipers.

Last Edited: Sep 10, 2013 6:07 AM
                                      • Test #1

Imo the KSG and Ballista are second only to the Ballistic Knife in terms of skill being required to use.

The iron sights are legit but the design of them are terrible. They are extremely bulky and obtrusive. Maybe something similar to the K98's irons from W@W would have been better

Last Edited: Sep 10, 2013 6:31 AM
                                        • Test #1

I actually use this weapon quite often. I play primarily HC game modes and although it is always a OHK weapon, if you miss you are dead. I typically play pretty well with it unless lag causes it to be difficult to aim. I think a lot of the reason for the sights being so bulky and obstructive is to balance it a little bit. This weapon does take skill and I find it be legit. Anybody that says it is cheap should set up a ballista class with iron sights and use it for themselves. I have had a few friends complain about it being cheap until they tried it. Sometimes I get sick of hearing people complain about the sniping in this game, but Treyarch made the game fast paced and made it to where you have to move for ghost to be effective. This pressures snipers into being more mobile.

Last Edited: Sep 10, 2013 7:06 AM
                                          • Test #1

if there is anyone here interested in a one on one sniper ballista challenge with iron sights or scope then please feel free to message me i have been trying to find sumone to beat me for a long time on bo2 sniping so please if your there message me for any one who wants to do one on one sniper with me i aint found anyone to go against me yet in pvt match one on one snipers

My psn id is Golly_Wog2013

looking for sumone to go against me using a bolt action single shot sniper rifle not the svu or xpr50 as they for noobs...

come on um one out there must be up for it

no quickscoping no trick shots etc just pure simple sniping

Last Edited: Sep 10, 2013 8:36 AM
                                            • Test #1

both... legit because its in game. cheap because of lucky ass kills.

Last Edited: Sep 10, 2013 8:57 AM
                                              • Test #1

I leveled up the Ballista and was looking forward to using the Iron Sight attachment.  After about a week of getting owned with it I switched back to the Dual Band.  I found that with Iron Sight attached I was changing my play style, trying to do things that went against my strengths.  More power to anyone that can use it successfully.  A powerful attachment?  Yes, but harder to use than you think since you lose some of your long range accuracy.  It's legit.

Last Edited: Sep 11, 2013 10:31 AM
                                                • Test #1

Sorry. Gonna zombify this topic. lol. I think it's a legit attachment. Granted the KSG is better in ALMOST every way, It can be a real challenge to use. It feels really good to get a quad feed versus a normal scope or an automatic. At least to me anyway. Lol I don't have many quad feeds either. Seriously...like 5...after 40 days of playing.

I think they have their places though. People may hate quickscoping in general but I think it more or less comes a thing where the community as a whole hate sniping. The dedicated snipers in the game give you absolute HELL if you sit back and aim down sights with the intention of playing a support role and the average AR/SMG user gives you **** for quickscoping. It's a lose/lose scenario and honestly, while the snipers are a powerful weapon, the iron sights imo honestly only serve to weaken the ballista.

Treyarch made it available for those who like to QS but honestly, it's overall just a weak KSG with the sole advantage of keeping it's distance power. If you are up close with it, more than likely your gonna get a C4 sandwich or just mowed down. Even if the sights do take away the temporary blind sport of your scope coming up to your screen. I vote legit.

Last Edited: Sep 11, 2014 1:55 AM