1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2014 10:58 AM by Carvalho16 Go to original post Branched to a new discussion. RSS
      • 20. Re: Encouraging Accuracy?

Best way to encourage accuracy over spraying is to make the hip fire spread larger. currently you can hipfire just as accurately as you can ADS, in fact in some cases more accurately because the recoil is less noticable when hipfirng.

Just add a larger area that hipfired bullets can spread to, therefore less bullets will hit the target.

• 21. Re: Encouraging Accuracy?

Perhaps the more effective way to encourage more deliberate player input would be to make the weapons behave with real consequences. As things stand now, most weapons have such low recoil that you may as well just hold down that trigger and let loose fully automatic fire for as long as you feel like, regardless of range to target. Hipfiring in close combat is just as mindless, probably even more so.

For sighted fire, my suggestion is to use a variable recoil system. As you fire rounds in succession, each one will have more recoil than the one before. The first few consecutive rounds will be extraordinarily precise, but then afterward the recoil will start to add up in a hurry. The exact values will probably have to be adjusted per weapon type.

For hipfire, there isn't much that can be done. The only possible solution is just to make these spastic close range spray-fests less of the norm. The problem isn't the size of the maps, rather just how cluttered they are. Every time you turn a corner, there's a close-range encounter waiting for you. That, in a nutshell, is the problem.

• 22. Re: Encouraging Accuracy?
            SRPhoenix

The problem isn't the clutter, in fact the clutter can be used effectively for cover, allowing you to move through the map more stealthily. The problem is that the game is not zonal. If the maps were broken up along enemy lines, and advancement into enemy territory were more strategic and team oriented then the random blind corners would be negated.

I know I am likely to get flamed, because it's going to be said that that is not the way the game was designed or intended, and a new spawn scenario would be required. But, I have never understood why the game has a team death match with no impetus to play as a team. Run-and-gun types can always play FFA. The way it is now most people play team death match using their teammates as cover (and I am as guilty as the next).

I am just saying, add a team mode that can be played as such.

• 23. Re: Encouraging Accuracy?

The larger point to make is that nearly all combat occurs at short range, even on the large maps. Open space often is completely avoided, so regardless to how big the map is everyone just huddles together in yet one more close range spray-fest. And I stand by what I said about clutter rather than cover. Most map objects exist to completely conceal the enemy, rather than give them a strong position from which to fire their weapon. That's the reason we simply don't get any ranged combat, and why marksmanship is a skill that has been completely lost on the COD franchise.

• 24. Re: Encouraging Accuracy?

Yes but if they tried that the casual gamer would have it too hard, would not like the game and not buy the next one because of it. All that would be left would be diehard fans that stayed.

• 25. Re: Encouraging Accuracy?

I think that if you get hit in the arms or legs is should be proportional to the number of hits on the effects. 1 hit decreases accuracy/run speed by 25%. 2 hits decreases it by 50%. 3 hits and you cant use a two handed weapon or sprint anymore. No health regen either. so no running to hide and wait until its back to normal.

• 26. Re: Encouraging Accuracy?
                    SRPhoenix

I was just assuming "clutter" was being used idiomatically. But you are right about the way they lay it out in this game. If the maps had high vantage sight lines over "open" areas containing strategic cover, then long range players (campers) could use sniper or suppressing LMG fire to provide cover for the mobile players (run-and-gunners). This would require better map design (allowing for defensible positions) and "protected" or selectable (but not strategically offensive) spawn sites. One idea would to have "out of bounds" spawn sites behind certain areas that allow players a certain amount of limited time to enter the map.

[I wrote the above before I saw the trailer for squads. From what I see, I am hoping the squad mode play will promote a more strategic type of game play.]

• 27. Re: Encouraging Accuracy?
                      rankismet

trialstardragon wrote:

I think that if you get hit in the arms or legs is should be proportional to the number of hits on the effects. 1 hit decreases accuracy/run speed by 25%. 2 hits decreases it by 50%. 3 hits and you cant use a two handed weapon or sprint anymore. No health regen either. so no running to hide and wait until its back to normal.

IMO, the health fairy is the cause of a lot of issues.

• 28. Re: Encouraging Accuracy?
                        WKMMS

Possibly, but I'm not entirely sure.  I think a lot of the kiddies would stay.  They tend to stick around even when they're going 3-20.  I think they're just happy to be in the game at all - they certainly don't seem to be too bothered about winning or getting a decent score

• 29. Re: Encouraging Accuracy?

It tends to be the case that there are a few nice vantage points in each map, but they aren't defensible. And what's worse, they're easily flanked. Even more troublesome, the enemy could just respawn behind your position at any time. Add all that up, and its suicidal to play defensively.

The irony is that camping is often said to be a major problem. This happens because defensive players can't use vantage points, so their only practical option is to back into a corner and just guard themselves. A major device that each map should have is a pair of defensible vantage points that face one-another. Let defensive players try to outgun the enemy team's defensive players. Suddenly the aggressive flankers have a purpose in getting to the opposing side's position to tip the fight to their team's favor.