7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2013 12:30 PM by phxs72 RSS

Need tips for search and destroy

I need tips on how to beat higher ranked players. I am looking to improve my performance. I'm not in a clan nor team and and am not interested in joining either. My k/d is 1.47 not the greatest I know. But anyways, Whenever I am going against players of 2.00 kd and over I have the most difficult time keeping up with them. Whenever I am against players of my k/d I go about 5-1 and sometimes 8-1 like anyone else. But seeing the 2.00-2.99 kd players go about 12--14 consistently I wonder how they manage to do it so easily. I'm trying to learn where my mistakes are being made, I prefer to flank targets when I see the majority of the enemy team is on the other side. I never go head on but there is always one that catches me anyways. these are also public games and not league.

type-25+red dot+quickdraw

lightweight

toughness

extreme conditioning+dexterity

semtex

tac-45

my other set is

mtar+red dot+quickdraw

heardline

toughness

dextirty

semtex

concussion x2

tac-45

• Re: Need tips for search and destroy

Search is also one of my weaker games and have been working on it lately.  What has helped me is playing with the better players you mentioned, getting tips from them and watching methods that work from them and assimilating that into a play style that suits you best.  I found that like most other game types it comes down to knowing routes and overall awareness of whats happening which differs from game to game.  I rarely lose a gun fight, but still dont shine in SND often because I dont play it a ton. 

Things that have worked for me:

Use a silencer- not showing up on the mini map is important, especially if you flank like you said

Use dead silence- ( I would use that instead of extreme conditioning in search)- the benefit of being silent in search out weights running longer; also better for flanking because you wont be heard as easy

I am a big fan of Overkill, as I can run an AR as my primary and SMG as my secondary.  Covers more bases and I win more gun fights given I go into the right area with the right weapon

On certain maps Ive had trouble on I will use censor grenades also.

Alot of this is personal preference and just what has worked good for me lately, but also a good strategy is to play conservative, and know when to challenge.  I originally wasnt a fan of search because of how often I rushed into an area to put myself right into someones sights who is just sitting there waiting for stupids like me to get an easy kill.  No more.

Iv made a habit of aiming down my sight when I move into buildings. Iv been catching campers more often, but I am having a hard time deciding what should be my main ar. I want to use the scar but its got god awful recoil and I iv heard its hit detection is slow at distance.

phxs72

The upside to the Scar is that you only have to land 3 bullets regardless of distance with it.  But the downside is that it's recoil does make those long distance shots more difficult and it's fire rate is a little slow to be used consistently up close.  If you are looking for strictly long range the M27 has almost zero recoil but the bullet damage is low.  So it's not very good up close or really mid range against the other ARs.  For my money the AN94 is the best choice at any range.  The first two bullets come out at 900 rpm and are dead on target.  After that the recoil kicks in (but it's manageable) and the bullet speed drops to 600 rpm (I think).  Of course if you burst fire the AN (don't even need SF), you can almost snipe with it.

well when I hit lv 55 again I will deff give it a try. I have been prestigen but its getting kinda pointless when I only have a few guns I find fitting for me.

phxs72

If you don't have the AN unlocked yet then the SCAR is a beast mid range but do try to stay out of the long range fights unless you have some cover to hide behind.  You could try the M27 but I'd put stock on it just to give you some maneuvering advantage when you find yourself in mid to close range fights.  The SMR is a good burst fire weapon that kicks like a mule but can be very effective.  At most ranges it's a 2 - 3 shot kill.  I personally liked it best with Select Fire because it slowed the fire rate down enough to accommodate most of the kick.  Others prefer just using it in burst mode but again I'd recommend the stock attachment.

phxs72

I barely play SnD but I would imagine that the answer is like it is in most gamemodes and that is to flank a little less.  Don't get me wrong.  I've made a career (so to speak) out of flanking but if you are looking for higher kill numbers, you have to take some risk and get in the fight a little more.  I think that a general rule of thumb is to cover the flank for that first kill, then move to the fight for a kill or two and then flank again.  Just don't stay in the fight too long.

You gun selection looks fine but I'd probably replace the MTAR with an AN94 just for the higher up front damage and I'd probably replace hardline with Flack Jacket.  FJ is rather handy when you are going to be engaged in the heat of the battle.

Iv had some mixed feelings about the mtar in SnD. I do okay with it in some matches but the type-25 seems to perform better for me. I was trying to the m8a1 but was not to into it since it did poorly against snipers. Also since I dont use smg's I think the an94 like you said would be a better choice over mtar.