21 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2013 11:53 AM by spike RSS

Ghosts getting dedicated servers on all platforms!

MajorStains

According to this latest article...

Call of Duty: Ghosts to feature dedicated servers on all platforms | Polygon

Yet I could find no small print saying "Except Wii U because it is the red-headed step child"

Could we finally be getting treated as equals amongst platforms? Time will tell.

Whatever next? DLC??

Quick, somebody cancel my PS4 preorder!

Team MP - A Clan for Parent Gamers

• Re: Ghosts getting dedicated servers on all platforms!
          Padiego

Lrn2srchnub? nah..you posted this one minute after I posted my thread so...understandable....anyways...why cancel ps4 preorder? You'll miss out on a lot of third party titles.

MajorStains

I did post it just before yours, then re-edit my post so it showed up after yours.

But I'm happy for you to claim this huge news if it helps you sleep at night!

Padiego

You missed the joke! It's a running gag...thousands of years old...where's a funky dutch man when you need him?

I was just joshing with you. But yeah, back to the  question......why cancel your PS4 preorder?

MajorStains

Sorry I missed the joke. That's what happens to my sleep deprived brain from sitting up half the night on random forums.

To answer your question, it was a tongue in cheek comment about my being lured to the dark side.

I have always hoped the Wii U would get another (not to be mentioned within these walls) FPS, but alas it looks like CoD is the only one to grace our beloved system. And I am not particularly looking forward to being schooled on PS4 because my 'thumbskillz' died with the PS2. So I would love a reason to keep playing Wii U with all you great peeps. (Well, some of you)

I loved AC3, am enjoying Blacklist, although I am shocking. And Lego City was just superb.

The Wii U is a great system, but when it comes to a well supported FPS, well ask me that in another years time.

The system is capable of DLC, Nintendo supports DLC on other titles, they promised it in the BlOps manual, so where is it?

And here's me straying off topic.

Will the Wii U get dedicated servers or will my Clan mates across the pond get to witness another year of my lag induced miracle kills? Who knows and further more, who cares.

For the last two years I've said I'm not buying another CoD title on the Wii, yet each time I buckle and preorder the damn thing.

CoD = Crack on Demand!

I just thought this year I might break free, and try another FPS. Maybe not.

Padiego

Even with dedicated servers, either you or your clan mates will get screwed over. Dedicated servers doesn't completely solve the lag problem...lag comp fixes that(when implemented right and doesn't give some people a huge advantage). If the server is in europe, you'll be fine but anybody in america will have a bit of lag. If a server can somehow be located in the middle of the atlantic then great!(Rapture anybody?).

I still think you should go through with the PS4. I am buying one as well, no point in my blind fanboyism making me miss out on some of the great third party games coming out for it. Some great games will come out for Wii U (DAMN IT NINTENDO MAKE SUPER MARIO GALAXY 3 ALREADY) and some will come out for PS4.

WiimotesRus02

You're getting a PS4? Its Pauly btw

LifeSong1

Yeah...very deceiving title.  They aren't talking specific systems at this point so you can draw your own conclusions as to what they will be doing with this and whether your system will be getting dedicated servers. There has been no announcement stating that WiiU will be getting dedicated servers...just an assumption on your end based on an open ended long tweet.

WiimotesRus02

I completely agree to this, you need to ask Rubin himself and get a straight answer. Of course he will never reply to a tweet, so all these speculations about dlc and who's getting what is another reason why i'll never buy a new CoD game again, and all of you should do the same. You're feeding a very big greedy corporation that doesn't know the meaning of value your customers..

Incredible_Mr

No one has pointed out a major problem, or rather something important that no one seems to have mentioned.

The dedicated servers are rented servers and based in the states. Rubin said they had a hybrid system in place so that people with bad internet, or people who were too far away from the servers, could still play on the current peer to peer system. To play on the dedicated servers you need to have a 25 or lower ping to that server, so this rules out pretty much the entire world apart from US based players who have GOOD connections. Basically the vast majority of us will still play on the peer to peer system.

A typical UK connection ping  to a US host is around 120-300, often higher, so theres no way on gods earth we`ll get to play on the dedictaed servers. Basically a dedicated server is in theory a console hosting your lobby, with no other usage on that internet line, so you`ll still get lag and current problems, you just wont get rage quitting hosts, or really really bad hosts. It`ll only level the playing field to a certain extent, and lag comp will still play a major role in who does well.

The dedicated servers have only been rented recently, and there doing this to try to build up ghosts, as there`s nowhere near as much excitement over this game compared to previous cods and they needed to do something. Its just a ploy to try to save a failing franchise.

Also all ive read is that it states all consoles and pc, but theres no mention of the U, and a tweet to rubin was replied to with "No information at this time as the U version is being dealt with by a diff company"

WiimotesRus02

Incredible_Mr wrote:

Also all ive read is that it states all consoles and pc, but theres no mention of the U, and a tweet to rubin was replied to with "No information at this time as the U version is being dealt with by a diff company"

I seem to remember hearing this statement before somewhere. Its a conn, they won't give a straight answer but say things to make you buy the game. Its deception, that has to be illegal

MajorStains

Some very good points there Mr Incredible.

I am still amazed to this day that I can game online on something only just better than a dial-up connection.

So if it swings any more in favour of the US servers than the lag compensation better be maxed out.

Shame it will eliminate the rage quitting hosts, as that adds some excitement to 12 months of the same old maps.

- when you're face to face with the enemy and it says 'transferring host', you never know who will get the drop when it kicks in!

Sad what keeps me amused in a stagnant title.

And how can it be a failing franchise when there are dogs? Whoopdedoo...flipping dogs!

spike

Well put, it's important to understand that the PS dedicated servers are likely to be temporary and only for this title. This is likely to mean that in time ATVI will withdraw the dedicated PS servers and assign them to another title i.e. Destiny or similar. Just be aware this isn't a PS platform bank of dedicated servers like the XB1. If anyone needs any proof, you'll notice Sony haven't announced dedicated servers, IW are the fire starters here. It all depends on your medium and long term gaming ambitions as to which platform you choose, but it annoys the crapola out of me when folks aren't informed. Eyes wide open guys!

ThtGyNTheBckgrnd

I wouldnt cancel that PS4 yet. They say all platforms, but I'm sure that the WiiU will be some sort of exception