13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2013 2:01 AM by dustycrow RSS

Lobby balance is wrong !

Angloma

The way that the lobby makes the team after game , is terribly wrong. All high score players are in one team and the other team is full of weak people , this is wrong. That's is why people leave in the middle of the game. I'm curious how the lobby balances the teams, the teams are so unbalanced....Treyarch should have a look

• Re: Lobby balance is wrong !
          phxs72

That's not what it really does.  In a fresh lobby it balances the teams based on stats, etc.  However, after the match it generally tries to keep the same teams together.  If too many people leave the lobby, the top player or second and third from the top players from the winning team will almost always end up on the opposing team the next match.  That is unless those players are in a party.  I don't have any hard data to prove this but it is consistent with what I've seen in game with 31+ days played.

Schoat333

They are probably in a party. I usually leave after a game if I'm playing against a large party. IMO partys of three or more should only be matched with a party of equal numbers or more. Give us solo players a change to play each other more.

Angloma

whe can't do anything to players who are in party, but whe need a better lobby balance for teams , after one game I usually end up on the lowscore team , and guess what... I get owned until I leave the lobby , and I don't want that, so please repair the lobby

The best way to learn is play against people who beat you, if they are partied up or not.  Since matching solo against only solo will never happen, and there is already plenty of delay in match making, I would suggest getting with another person or two and playing to win( if you really cant stand losing to people better than you or in a party).  I will play solo sometimes, but as it takes out so much tactical and strategic play, I prefer to party up and play as a team.  Team work wins, and people know it.  They also tend to prefer playing together to not get stuck on teams of people failing to quickscope and trick shot throwing shock charges and mindlessly rushing giving the other team an easy 20+ kills.  When I do play solo the number one and arguably most tactical strategy I use are the bad players.  It is cold, I know, but use them as bait or your own little personal mini-map.

phxs72

This man speaks the truth.  Playing against weaker players has never improved anyone's skill level.  Partying up is a whole lot easier to deal with tactically than playing solo.  But if you do play solo, you have to use a mercenary mentality if you are paired up with a bunch of weak players.  You have to find a way to take their weaknesses and turn them into strategic advantages for you.  It's not always easy to do so but that what you have to do if you want to win.

Ya know what you say is not entirely true. I have seen teams of complete randoms destroy parties at times.

nicedrewishfela

Match-making can definitely be improved.

I, for one, would love to see it just be completely random. None of this "Skill-based" nonsense. I just want to get into a lobby and have fun. I am OK with losing to better players. I am OK with the occasional Lop-sided win. I am happiest with the intense go to the last second matches.

I think the "skill-based" Metric is flawed and I think it has impacted match-making. Weaker players get better by playing against good competition. Good players get BETTER by playing against even stronger competition. And the game is more fun when you play against a diverse range of opponents.

Yppecaye_the_Dogged

nicedrewishfela wrote:

Match-making can definitely be improved.

I, for one, would love to see it just be completely random. None of this "Skill-based" nonsense. I just want to get into a lobby and have fun. I am OK with losing to better players. I am OK with the occasional Lop-sided win. I am happiest with the intense go to the last second matches.

I think the "skill-based" Metric is flawed and I think it has impacted match-making. Weaker players get better by playing against good competition. Good players get BETTER by playing against even stronger competition. And the game is more fun when you play against a diverse range of opponents.

The vast majority of players are mediocre to poor players, if they took skill based MM to the extreme, decent to good players would have to wait an awful long time to get a match.

I agree, just make it random and let the chips fall.  Tough luck if you're matched against better players.  Learn from them and get better. 

It could be better.... correct. BUT  the it would mean stricter analyses of stats ( which don't necessarily mean so much as its thought to), and more time waiting for lobby's to fill up.  People already cry about not finding a match, then when it is quick the issue then is shifted to the match it found.  Every time you play solo, you role the dice and gamble with who your team mates are, and who play against.  If your into gambling, and assuming you don't have a problem, then you know its a gamble.  You learn from the losses, and smile when you win.  The more you lose the more you should learn, but anger and complacency can turn that learning experience into a waste of time and deep hatred of playing, and the one thing left to do is argue about game mechanics.  Do things need some fixing, ABSOLUTELY.  Does every little thing need to be tweaked to every persons preference and play style....NO . It is impossible.  Would I like to see more even matches... YES.  On the opposite end of the spectrum I would rather play against people or teams that I cant put up multiple swarms against using a cross bow ( exaggeration), but its not going to happen.  I have learned this over the years of COD.  It may get a little bit of a bump, but I'm not going to hold my breathe waiting for the match making ( a small issue in comparison to so many) to be completely restructured. 

I disagree that weaker players get better by playing against better players. Playing against better players will not improve their aim. Playing against better players will not teach them where the spawns are. It will not increase their awareness knowing where the enemy team is going to be coming from. It will not teach them where to expect an enemy when they round a corner. Only practice will make a player better. Playing against similar players may make the game more enjoyable which may make them play more hours and thus improve.

nuttin2say

Wrong classic ... the one that applies here is Charles Darwins' On the Origin of Species.

Seriously. There is a stupidity factor not yet mentioned here. I hate to mean or cold-hearted, but that's the reality. I mean, how else do you account for the five randoms on your team all being multiple prestiged and, upon all five respawning after being all wiped out within a three second span, all five of them running as a group right back to the exact same place where they were just slaughtered?

Look, the solution is very simple: give solo players a legitimate Mercenary play list. We had one back in MW1. In fact, force solo players to use the Mercenary playlist. This crap about "oh, but then we would have to wait too long" is bogus. Apply the match-making sequence to teams just like they do to solo players. "Oh, but there are no other teams in the local area."

Okay, so that makes it logical to place me against organized parties from New England or the Southwest when I'm on the West Coast?

And, as I have said before, the reason the majority of the community are solo players is because we play when we can, not when our friends are online.

I think I know why this is becoming an increasingly big issue. I think a large part of the solution to the lag issues was that they adjusted the match-making so that a circle was drawn around every member of a party. The game then searches for more players that are ONLY within that circle. What you then get is maybe two or three guys within that circle that, lo and behold, are also in a six man party. However, the other 3 or 4 guys in their party are not inside that circle and, therefore, the game doesn't pair the two parties against each other. Instead, it pairs randoms within the circle of the first six man party.

Just as a lobby with only random players will commonly have a player far outside his normal geocircle (I don't recall the exact term), the lobby with a party against randoms will include randoms well outside the party's circle, but usually only a couple at most.

Anyway, the logical solution to the problem is to force all players to play in a party. Of course, the day COD does that, the game dies. The appeal to gaming is the ability to play when you want to, not when it is convenient for friends you'll probably never meet in person.

So what does ATVI do? They begin offering incentives to party play, via "clans." And that is exactly what we have been seeing take place since BO1.

What this shows is that ATVI is not willing to think outside the box.

The solution is to force solo players into their own play list. It is as easy to do as it is to create separate playlists for people with map packs vs. those without. Or maybe they have thought outside the box but don't want to go that route because to do so resurfaces another problem that has been "resolved."

Notice that there has been a rise in parties vs. randoms inverse to the complaints about lag?

dustycrow

ehh ive had games i play with the winning team and have the best players in lobby then after doing better/average with them it'll put me on other team so i gotta give them all hell just to hold balance between teams but heres one for ya. was playing a normal game of tdm other day and me and my party got put in a game in progress. the teams were 7 vs 4 XD 7? max per team is 6 and even then the other team was down to 4 players so it made the unbalance even worse