22 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2013 6:21 PM by trialstardragon RSS

Aim Assist

Is there going to be aim assist in Ghosts. I actually like Aim assist so I was wondering if it will be in the game. 

• Re: Aim Assist

Seriously? Yes, All CODs have it.

All games online on the console have it to one degree or another. So yes even Ghosts will have it. Only the pc does not have it unless using an aim bot.

Dr_QuiCKScOP3r

Speaking of Aim Assist, In think it will be cool if the EMP killstreak will disable the enemy AA.

Would have been nice yes. I just wish they would fix it where it was LOS only.. and did not track a person anymore if they went behind a wall or any obstruction where they could no longer be seen. Tired of seeing the players that would just run around and wiggle their controller waiting for sticky aim to grab on to someone through a wall to let them know someone was nearby.

bigshow36

A game like CoD doesn't need aim assist, console or PC. However, we'll never get that, so at least I hope it's toned down from where it has been in the past (although I'm not optimistic about that either).

MrAdaptability

Controllers with analog sticks require aim assist, and many other compensators to make them usable for FPS games. Go play an FPS on PC with a controller and tell me controllers don't need aim assist. I'll wait.

bigshow36

No they don't. I've played PC games with a controller before and Console games with no aim assist (Nexiuz). Is it more difficult ? Sure, but that doesn't mean its impossible, especially in a game like CoD where there are high RoF guns with high damage. The game would be much better without aim assist, as the shooting skill gap would widen dramatically.

Some console games benefit from a small amount of aim assist, some don't. Call of Duty is one of the latter.

MrAdaptability

To be reasonably accurate with analog stick, yes they do require several things to compensate for their lack of accurate movement. You do realize controllers for consoles have built in compensators right? You can never really turn off aim assist in all it's forms. You may be able to turn off the in-game enabled aim assist but not the other forms of aim assist pre-built into the controller/console.

It is not in the controller it is part of the console OS as a default. Actually they can make them as precise as a mouse, just would be more expensive to do so. So they just use the coding in the console to compensate for it. Players would not want to have to pay for a 100+ controller for game on a console that they only play every now and then for fun. So for the general market they don't make them or need them really.

Just as you claim controllers are not as accurate as a mouse, not all mouse are accurate as each other either.

MrAdaptability

The following quote is from a developer of the FPS Monday Night Combat:

"

On a console, the angle in which a player can turn is a function of both time and displacement of the thumb stick. No matter how far players want to turn, they have to pay a time cost. Even at the highest controller sensitivity, there is a time cost to be paid. On a PC the angle of turn is a direct mapping of how far you move the mouse. The time cost is variable and the better players get that time cost to approach zero.

Now, on consoles we use an array of aim helping mechanisms all in an attempt to help with this time cost. View acceleration allows that time cost to not be linear from distance the thumb stick is moved. It’s an attempt to guess that if players jam their thumb stick to one side and hold it they want to spin quickly, but if they slam it to one side and release they want to make a fast minor adjustment. So at the beginning of the time cost the rate of turn is slower and it speeds up exponentially, to a cap, as time goes by.

View friction slows down the player’s turn speed when an enemy passes in front of their cursor. This makes it so they can shortcut that time cost by allowing players to turn up the sensitivity, thus lowering the time cost, but make it so that the turn rate slows down when you have an enemy in their sights. Hopefully, this makes it easier to get a target in the crosshairs.

View adhesion, which will cause the player’s cursor to adhere to enemies passing in front of the player, is an attempt at taking the time cost away. This mechanic tries to match the player’s turn rate to a target moving in front of the player. Thus trying to remove the time cost for moving targets that should be easily hit.

Aim attraction is the last console helping mechanism. This is a system that takes a shot you make, sees if it’s going to be close to a target, and adjust that shot ever so slightly so that it hits. This doesn’t directly affect the time cost but does give some perceived precision to shooting on a console.

Now, all these systems sound like cheating but they all revolve around the same concept; make the time to aim as small as possible. None of these systems are needed on the PC because that time can get to be nearly zero by sheer player skill."

Interesting read that talks about the limitations on analog sticks vs mouse movement. I don't deal in speculation. Analog stick are not as accurate as mouse movement. You can take one of the cheapest bargain bin mice an still outperform a controller analog stick.

Link to the full article for your reading pleasure: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1309934/fps-aiming-analog-thumbstick-vs-mouse

I already knew about the different features used in console games. I have know about each of them for a long time. Even with what was said a bargain bin mouse such as an older ball mouse is not better than an analog stick. There are still people that do not use a laser mouse for their computers ya know. And not all laser mouse's are as accurate as each other or always guaranteed to be better than any analog control system. it depends upon the drivers and the quality of the mouse and laser within the mouse.

All of those features on the console are there because using your thumbs is not the best method of doing it for you don't have the same fine motor control in your thumbs as you do with your entire hand moving and controlling something such as a mouse. it is not really the sticks that are un accurate but the player themselves and how much control they have over thumb movements.

bigshow36

You do realize that all of those are OPTIONAL features that each developer chooses to add to varying degrees? They are implemented to help people aim better and faster (i.e. make it easier), not because it's impossible to aim without them. They are not requirements, defaults or any other unavoidable feature. That said, I'm fine with the features that smooth out the aiming dead zones and up the speed of aiming with a controller, but a game like CoD does not need view friction, view adhesion or aim attraction to be viable and playable.

Not for the skilled or long term player but for the average or casual player new to the game it does. Console games are meant to be fun and easy to play in general and not require months or years of practice to do well in the game.

abelthywicked

trialstardragon (to bigshow36) 31 minutes ago

Not for the skilled or long term player but for the average or casual player new to the game it does. Console games are meant to be fun and easy to play in general and not require months or years of practice to do well in the game.

See that in itself is quite a problem, I mean I can understand that it has to be playable for everyone who just picks up the controller and starts, and by no means am I saying that the player with years of experience should be entitled to any kind of in-game advantage over beginners, but that is what the difference in skill levels is supposed to be. A player or team with high skills and experience playing COD, should dominate newbies to some extent, but is it fair to try and take long time fans and COD vets give them no advantage other then skill, (aiming, timing ect), and then adjust the game so that newbies get a in-game enhancement that long time shooter fans have been working their entire gaming careers working on? I mean to some extent its fine to try to give them a bit of a boost, but giving them too much aiming assist has been a problem in the past simple because its giving skill to the skill-less, and then the people that have actually had to work on their skills, get to listen to some 12 year old prattle on about how good they are? I mean what was wrong with the old style of gaming, with no aim assist? If you sucked, then you either choose to try harder and get better, practice and what not, or you just continued to get your a55 handed to you, till you gave up, referred to the first option, maybe went and played the campaign where the was aiming assist (depending on how old the game) to try and get better. I personally don't rely on aim assist to any extent, but i do hate it when aim assist causes me to move to a new target, other than the one I am already trying to kill.

Regardless of how vets or long time players want it the company is first and foremost a company out to make as large as a profit as possible. The largest profit comes from making the game friendly to the largest market, which is the casual or average gamer. Fair or not to the old timers does not really compute in this. The idea is to remove the skill gap and make everyone on an even basis. Where tactics and strategy win out over skills such as twitch shooting and aiming. Players have to play smarter to do well and not just rely on past skills from earlier versions of the game.

Not exactly true they can make controllers just as accurate in control as a mouse and keyboard. Just the average player on the console is not that accurate in hand dexterity with them. With out aim assist players would have a harder time getting kills and the game would be less fun for the casual crowd and that is a console games major selling points "fun and ease of use".

MrAdaptability

Analog sticks simply aren't as accurate as a mouse. Mechanically speaking they just don't register movement like a mouse does. So no analog sticks can never and will never be as accurate as a mouse. Which is why Valve is recreating the wheel so to speak when it comes to their Steam controllers. Whether the trackpads on them will be able to reasonably compete against m+kb is still up in the air though.

MrAdaptability

On consoles? Of course it will.

I certainly hope so.  I need all the help I can get. 

abelthywicked

Personally i don't mind aim assist except for when i am shooting at someone and then someone runs through my line of fire and then aim assist follows them instead of the target that is shooting at me, and what would be nice is to be able to turn off aim assist, and have a set distance where aim assist is effective, if your on the other side of the map aim assist should not be able to help you lock onto me as i am sniping you, and on that note people should be negatively affected when trying to cross map with anything other than a sniper or enhanced battle rifle or in this case marksmen rifles, its kinda BS that I am getting out gunned at long ranges by a assault rifle, or an SMG ( MW3 MP7, black ops 2, like all smgs) seriously.

808storytella

If you need aim assist,you should not play.

808storytella

I found this class works well with out auto aim.

class set up:

Mp7 with FMG and red dot (basic red reticle )

NO SECONDARY

I use PERK 3 for player card

MY perks are

1) lightweight

2) Scavenger

3) extreme conditioning and Engineer.

NO LETHAL.

Tactical IS Concussion