14 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2013 7:16 PM by colonial_viper2 RSS

Dedi, steady, go.

Adeeez100

Better be careful how i approach this conversation, don't want to come across as Mr now it all or anything along those lines.

Anyhow, so here goes, who else is properly excited at the prospect of playing cod on dedis?, my hands up; like both hands are in the air. I for one have dreamt about this and the possible benefits that it may include, everybody on the same playing field, "dreams are made of this".

If things pan out as hoped for, could cod become *great* again?.

• Re: Dedi, steady, go.
          Adeeez100

Nobody excited at the fact that finally we have dedis?.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Black Ops 2 has had dedicated servers up since July but most of my games still feel like crap because I get dumped on a dedicated server thousands of miles away. If Ghosts' matchmaking is better and actually puts people in servers that are close to them, then it should be great, otherwise we won't see much improvement.

Adeeez100

"Cautiously optimistic", very wise and exactly my sentiments if i'm being completely honest, but one can dream right?.

lewdmouth

I was very optimistic about the release of BO1. (first game with odd lag based off worst ping in lobby)

Sort of optimistic about MW3   (2nd game with odd lag based off worst ping in lobby)

Cautiously optimistic about BO2 (third game with odd lag based on worst ping in lobby)

Down right pessimistic about Ghosts. (?)

Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me fool me 3 times see a shrink.

codchamp

I have my pros and cons.

Pros:

No more host migration

No more dashboarding

No more unfair hit detection?

No more getting shot around corners?

No more jumping and skipping

Cons:

No more host warrior for me

No more controlling the lobby

So i guess the pros out way the cons. But time shall tell. Just like back before Black ops 1. If you have a good connection, then you should have a good game.

Schuesseled

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but how does this put players on a level playing field. I assume you are speaking of lag, whomever is closest to the dedicated server will enjoy a clear advantage.

Couldn't be worse than MW3 with any luck, honestly host lag, wtf.

Adeeez100

See there i go again talking crap, you are completely correct and i acknowledge that, but hopefully it will be fairer than the past three titles regardless.

codchamp

Well it should be on a fair playing field. But you are right about distance to the server. But you will most likely be on a server close to you and in turn make it fair ground. 

The players that this may hurt more than others, the ones that party up with friends in different regions. You will be selecting a server most likely closer to the host of the party than anyone else. If this is the case then i will say the game will play just like all older COD titles.

I am looking forward to dedicated servers with a pollyanish hope that it will improve the overall gaming experience.  I started playing the series with COD 4 and I haven't seen a lot of "level playing fields" since skill matching doesn't seem to be part of the game.