47 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2013 3:27 AM by WiimotesRus02 RSS

NO dedicated servers for Wii U

My bro was just playing a match and got a message "Picking new host...". This basically confirms that dedicated servers are NOT on Wii U (Edit: Not yet anyway. See A_TREY_U's post below)

Pwnsweet
        • Test #1
          Re: NO dedicated servers for Wii U

Somebody was talking about some server interface. Does that exist on the other versions? Maybe the dedi's are just on other next gen consoles.

Last Edited: Nov 4, 2013 9:29 PM
          • Test #1

That's called Host Migration. Xbox has it too, It doesn't confirm anything.

Last Edited: Nov 4, 2013 9:47 PM
              • Test #1

Lol...im not even touching this one.

Last Edited: Nov 4, 2013 9:51 PM
                • Test #1

sure it does. If there were dedicated servers, there would never be a host migration

Last Edited: Nov 4, 2013 9:51 PM
                    • Test #1

Dedicated servers for Ghosts is hard to explain. I'm not sure if we have them, but I do know Xbox has them. I was watching a stream, and host migration is still in the game, for all platforms (At least for current gen). I'm pretty sure I heard Mark Rubin say that even though there is dedicated servers, there is still a host (don't quote me on this). We'll have to wait for A_Trey_U to confirm it.

Last Edited: Nov 4, 2013 9:55 PM
                      • Test #1

Don't you remember that they already said that the game uses a mix of dedicated servers and hosting as we know it. You definetely can see the host migration thing on PS360 too. You just have to be lucky to get a free slot on a dedicated server. This way the publisher can pull the plug from the dedis without completely shutting down the multiplayer (like EA did on Medal Of Honor Heroes 2 on the Wii) But even if WiiU has dedis I think there might not be as many as on other platforms.

Last Edited: Nov 4, 2013 10:18 PM
                          • Test #1

No, I think its a regional thing and uk players get shafted, you just reminded me.

Last Edited: Nov 4, 2013 10:22 PM
                              • Test #1

I don't think they will be so drastical as to give one part of the earth a feature they promoted worldwide. What I do think is that the US will have the most servers, because the player base is bigger over there. The problem is: We know NOTHING for sure. The way Activision went public with this topic leaves the door open for every possibility. In theory they can even shut down every dedicated server on every platform after christmas sale is over. Maybe some of the servers are not online yet. Or maybe they will never be... nowhere. Only time will tell.

Last Edited: Nov 5, 2013 11:29 AM
                        • Test #1

Dedicated servers are only for Canada, USA and Mexico.

Last Edited: Nov 4, 2013 10:28 PM
                            • Test #1

/\

Last Edited: Nov 4, 2013 10:35 PM
                              • Test #1

I get an uncontrollable rage when I read that. Competitions, E3, MLG tournaments and now dedicated servers. I swear, I'm really starting to see why people hate North America.

Last Edited: Nov 4, 2013 10:35 PM
                                  • Test #1

So how exactly does that work? Who are you guys across the pond connecting to now? This doesnt thin the playerbase does it? If so id think none of us on wii u get them...

Last Edited: Nov 4, 2013 10:42 PM
                                      • Test #1

He will probably be matched against people that are not from North America.

Last Edited: Nov 4, 2013 10:44 PM
                                          • Test #1

Yeah thats what I thought. So obviously the playerbase will be smaller on this title, even if everyone who bought black ops 2 buys this game. And its almost pointless to own unless your from north america. Thats IF we even get dedi's.

Last Edited: Nov 4, 2013 11:54 PM
                                              • Test #1

So much for the dlc/playerbase theory...

Last Edited: Nov 4, 2013 11:55 PM
                                                  • Test #1

Can any Brit/euro players tell me what the connection/lag is like? Some serious feedback would be appreciated, thanks..

Last Edited: Nov 5, 2013 2:33 AM
                                                      • Test #1

My first 5 games were perfect. Spot on hit detection, enemies droppe dwhen they should.

My 6th was, laggy, people would run through bullets, my bullets would take like 1 full second to register, and when I got my juggy maniac, I missed knifes on guys who were literally infront of me.

It's about the same as BO2 for me. Good overall, but with the odd laggy game.

Last Edited: Nov 5, 2013 2:41 AM
                                                          • Test #1

DatBigSwitcha2 wrote:

My first 5 games were perfect. Spot on hit detection, enemies droppe dwhen they should.

My 6th was, laggy, people would run through bullets, my bullets would take like 1 full second to register, and when I got my juggy maniac, I missed knifes on guys who were literally infront of me.

Great, not what I wanted to hear but thanks, for me its always laggy but with the odd good game in bo2. So you probably started playing and 5hrs later the US midnight players came online and destroyed the connection. Nothing has changed then..

Last Edited: Nov 5, 2013 7:03 AM
                                                              • Test #1

WiimotesRus02 wrote:

DatBigSwitcha2 wrote:

Great, not what I wanted to hear but thanks, for me its always laggy but with the odd good game in bo2. So you probably started playing and 5hrs later the US midnight players came online and destroyed the connection. Nothing has changed then..

you know what i never got why can't all people wifi be the same i mean why i can't play with people from other countries i mean is the wifi different? or is just the distance idk they just need to make like SUPER strong wifi that just doesn't lag no matter where people are at of course that is probably just a fantasy 

XD

Last Edited: Nov 5, 2013 7:13 AM
                                                • Test #1

That is inaccurate.

Last Edited: Nov 5, 2013 7:41 AM
                                                    • Test #1

Not from where i'm standing it isn't. I play with the same people that I have done for over 3 years and now we can hardly enjoy a game at all. Sorry, there is no other explanation..

Last Edited: Nov 5, 2013 7:44 AM
                                                        • Test #1

Dedicated servers are not up for the Wii U yet.  The idea that the dedicated servers that are up for the other platorms are only in North America is the part that is inaccurate and the part of the thread I was responding to.

Last Edited: Nov 5, 2013 7:46 AM
                                                            • Test #1

Cool so we are geting Dedicated servers soon?

Last Edited: Nov 5, 2013 8:00 AM
                                                              • Test #1

From what I've read in Activision's statement the dedicated server comes later after the launch date. Someone posted last night that he already have the game to I asked if he could provide a screenshot of the in-game's server list interface but I didn't get any answer so I thought maybe the guy doesn't have the game yet. Anyway, I wanna see if there's a list of servers to enter in the game menu. If there is then there's dedicated servers. If there's none then it could be that right now the Wii U version is hosting the game on P2P. We could be seeing a hybrid dedicated server (a dedicated server having a P2P interface) in the future but it's unlikely cuz it's costly for Activision to run it by themselves rather than having purely dedicated servers run by 3rd party for rent. This leads me to believe that the Wii U might not be getting dedicated servers after all. In-game host migration doesn't happen on dedicated servers. You just don't get switched to another server in the middle of the game. Either you'll get disconnected or logout of the server & look for another server to enter it's the case on hosting the game on dedicated servers.

Last Edited: Nov 5, 2013 8:13 AM
                                                                • Test #1

So that means they are coming?
                                                                  That's great news! And, as a Wii U, great news is hard to come by lately, so please don't skimp on more of it if you've got it.XD

Last Edited: Nov 5, 2013 2:13 PM
                                                                  • Test #1

A_Trey_U wrote:

Dedicated servers are not up for the Wii U yet.  The idea that the dedicated servers that are up for the other platorms are only in North America is the part that is inaccurate and the part of the thread I was responding to.

its been over a month...

Last Edited: Dec 10, 2013 12:51 PM
                                                            • Test #1

There are dedicated servers on Wii U. It just that Treyarch not the one hosting it.

Last Edited: Dec 10, 2013 1:04 PM
                                                                • Test #1

nobody asked you.

Last Edited: Dec 10, 2013 5:30 PM
                                                                  • Test #1

Southpawgamer,

WE GET IT. There are dedicated servers already on Wii U in the form of 'Private match', but I think you're the only person that refers to them as 'dedicated servers'. Everyone else refers to Activision-run dedicated servers open to the public when they talk about 'dedicated servers'.

Besides, setting up a private match is basically useless because only people you know can join it. Nobody wants that. Everyone just wants to search for a game whenever they feel like it and know that they'll be joining a stable server local to their location that won't download or upload while they're hosting. That's what most people refer to as 'the dedicated server experience' and what we want on the Wii U. We don't care that you can set up your own dedicated server with a second Wii U and create a private match because, well, it's stupid.

Last Edited: Dec 10, 2013 6:20 PM
                                                                  • Test #1

They're definitely not on yet.  The game counter still started at 50, but I left a match and it said it was migrating hosts.

Last Edited: Dec 11, 2013 1:07 AM
                                                                      • Test #1

it seems like the matchmaking has been changed again. getting into foreign lobbies again. with quote "retard lag" (courtesy of TwitchyGamer) lol

Last Edited: Dec 11, 2013 1:33 AM
                                                                          • Test #1

It's running better for me after the "server change".  It's about near Black Ops 2 levels.  I'd say after about 10 matches tonight that it ran great.  Then I got into one lag fest where I was apparently the host.  So much for that host god mode everyone is talking about.   The next match said I got disconnected from the server.  The next one was laggy as heck so I left.  So 10 good games and then 2 laggy ones in a row.  WAY better than Black Ops 2 when it first came out, but not quite on par with where it was after all the connection hotfixes that they did. 

Then again, it may be on par with BLOPS 2.  Maybe I just get more bad hosts because there are so few people playing.  Only about 254 this time of night.  I hardly ever get a chance to play during those peak hours, but I hope to this weekend.

Last Edited: Dec 11, 2013 1:38 AM
                                                                              • Test #1

thats the experience i have had as well. i can do amazing or go barely positive as host, which is why i say there is no host advantage whatsoever.

Last Edited: Dec 11, 2013 1:43 AM
                                                                                  • Test #1

I wish this game was more consistent.  I guess this is what I get for saying it's been running well.  Been crappy all night tonight.  It saddens me that a 0.4 kdr player can outgun me because my bullets go through him.  Then there are some people that you just can't kill.  They just run and gun with a "lag shield" as the call it on gfaqs.  I don't think it's a coincidence that they have a 2.6 kdr either.

I wonder if dedis were turned on and now they're turned off again.  It's running like it did before where half my matches are laggy as heck.  Taking longer to search to.  Right after the update, It found a match in just a few seconds.  Now it's behaving like it did before the update.  I think they changed something again.  No way to know, but it sure feels like it.

Last Edited: Dec 12, 2013 12:59 AM
                                                                                      • Test #1

like2nap03 wrote:

Been crappy all night tonight.

Its been like this for everyone I know last night, some of our team just quit for sheer frustration. Its not like it for everyone though, we played a group of players that were unbelievable, we even suspected foul play of some kind. A guy in a guilli suit running like maniac juggernaut and even had the yellow hit marker signs from the word go. I don't know what that is, but while you were shooting at him he just came at you like a dog, one second he seemed twenty feet away, the next he was stabbing you. His whole team was untouchable, even if you were shooting them from behind, they just popped out again and seemed to know your exact location and bam, it was pure crazy..

Last Edited: Dec 12, 2013 1:15 AM
                                                                                          • Test #1

What kills me (pun intended) is even the sound is laggy.  I can't even hear these people.  BLOPS 2 did the same thing..  People would sound like they were much further away than what they actually were.  So you think you got the jump on them and then BAM they pop out and insta-kill you.  It happened so much in Black Ops 2 that I was convinced dexterity was muting footsteps (coincidentally everyone that killed me in this way was using it).  So I had to test it out in a private match with my clan to see if I could hear them when they used dexterity.  That's when I learned that the sound lags just as much as the character model.

Or in another scenario I would normally hear the person running up to my left as I'm trying to shoot someone in front of me and I at least have time to react.  Now it's like I shoot the guy in front of me (he doesn't die) and then all of a sudden I just die.  Killcam shows someone run up to my left without dead silence, but I didn't even hear them.  Had no idea they were there and of course I can't turn to look cause, you know, I'm busy shooting at someone. 

When the game is running smooth I fire my 3 shots at the guy in front of me.  I know the bullets will connect so I start to turn before I'm even sure he's dead, and then I kill the guy to my left.  I hear him and I react and get the kill.  Nope not tonight though.

Last Edited: Dec 12, 2013 2:00 AM
                                                                                              • Test #1

I always test my connection in game by shooting a explosive device, betty/ied. If it explodes the instant I pull the trigger I know I'm not lagging, a second or two after I pull the trigger, I know I'm in for a tough game, and I stop running around as much..

Last Edited: Dec 12, 2013 3:27 AM
                                                                                  • Test #1

I don't think Dedicated Servers exist on any console including the PC and the Next Gen consoles I don't get it they make billions more then Dice cause they only make millions on their games and Call of Duty still doesn't have dedicated servers even Battlefield Bad Company 2 had dedicated servers. Maybe Call of Duty will never see Dedicated Servers cause Activision is either too cheap or they are just lazy.

Last Edited: Dec 12, 2013 2:23 AM