9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2013 8:09 PM by Iron24 RSS

Daredevil, Heroes for Hire shows coming to Netflix!

Hawkeye

So huge announcement today!  Dardevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Jessica Jones are each getting their own 13 episode show on Netflix that will lead up to a team-up mini-series as the Defenders!  Netflix has had a lot of success already with House of Cards and Orange is the New Black and to see them take on Marvel properties is very exciting!  Agents of SHIELD may not quite living up to the hype, but Netflix is a different beast than ABC.  It's more like cable with fewer episodes, which I really like since it tightens up the storytelling and doesn't spread out the budget across a ton of episodes. I wouldn't be shocked to see some big names sign onto these projects what with the characters being more street level that won't require a ton of CGI or big sets.

I will say though, its kinda curious they're going with the Defenders.  The Defenders isn't a team name I associate with street level guys, that would be Heroes for Hire.  I wonder why they just didn't use that name when you've got Cage, Iron Fist, and Jessica Jones involved?

• Re: Daredevil, Heroes for Hire shows coming to Netflix!
          NovaSongbird

I've got to say I'm really excited about this! I kind of had the fear these street-level heroes wouldn't be able to pick up their own movie, but this sounds just perfect for them.
          I'm especially excited for Jessica Jones, since I never thought she'd be able to hold her own movie, a show is great for her!

But the Defenders name is interesting. I mean, normally they're pretty much the polar opposite of street-level heroes. But I can see it working, it isn't the most well known team and the name does sound fitting for this type of hero. And I don't imagine Heroes for Hire would be as captivating of a name! But I could be very well wrong with that.

Iron24

Great thread Hawk, lol. So pretty pumped about this announcement and am very glad Marvel is going in this direction for these heroes. They have so many great heroes and movie budgets being what they are these days it makes financial sense to utilize TV to showcase some of their heroes who might not make it on the big screen. Like Hawk said having shorter seasons generally means you have better scripts and you can attract some really good actors as a the commitment to a 13 episode season is more attractive to them so they can do other projects as well.

I am going to be very interested to see the tone they set for these films, but it sounds like it is going to be gritty and I like that.

As far as Defenders vs. Heroes for Hire it is just what sounds better. Heroes for Hire just sounds pretty bland and corny while Defenders is just cooler. For those of us who know Marvel lore of course we know it is the wrong name but to the audience they are hoping to attract they wont care one wit. Kind of like the whole Mandarin thing while it may have pissed off IM fans and Marvel fans the vast majority of the audience didn't know about it, didn't care and actually thought it was funny.

Hawkeye

I'm more partial to Heroes for Hire, myself.  Defenders as a name is a bit too close to Avengers and Guardians (of the Galaxy).  Heroes for Hire brings a completely different vibe to it and acknowledges that these aren't the guys that are gonna be fighting off Thanos (even if all of them have been an Avenger in the comics, haha).  This is the team that will be fighting the Kingpin and his goons on the streets.  Maybe Marvel don't want a name that has a possible negativity (ya don't really think of superheroes being for hire, they do it for free) or a name that makes them seem below the likes of Avengers and Guardians, but I think it's more fitting.  Anyway, despite the team name, it should be exciting to see!

Do you guys have any ideal casting choices in mind? 

Rogue_Shadow

These shows look pretty cool!  Now I'm gonna need to get a Netflix account finally! haha, but it should be worth it to watch some cool Marvel shows.  I'm a little surprised Luke Cage and Iron Fist are getting separate shows, instead of tying them together in a Heroes for Hire show, but there's plenty of interesting stuff to do with them separately. 

In terms of the name, I'm not sure you could ever fit DareDevil into a team with the Heroes for Hire name.  He definitely wouldn't take payment for his superhero stuff like Cage and Iron Fist do earlier on.  I'd like to see some heroes being for hire here, but DareDevil wouldn't fit into that at all. 

Hawkeye

Some news coming out!  Drew Goddard (Cabin in the Woods) will write and produce the Daredevil show and Melissa Rothenberg (Twilight) will work on Jessica Drew!  Nothing on Iron Fist and Luke Cage yet.

NovaSongbird

Not so sure how comfortable I feel with the screenwriter of Twilight working on Jessica Jones.. kind of worries me, but apparently she was a head writer for Dexter too, so... I'll give her a chance. Still worried, I want that one done right! I loved Alias

Iron24

Hard to believe something as poorly conceived as Twilight would have become such a phenomena but teenage girls, love and vampires are easy to exploit. However having to adapt them would have been some pretty hard work since the books are really just awful.

Now back to the good stuff. As far as casting goes I rarely even think of it or care as long as they get someone who is roughly a physical match to the character and they are a solid actor. I do hope the don't limit themselves to American actors since some of the best working actors live in Europe and shows that use them typically get some terrific acting in them.

Rogue I am glad they are splitting IF and Luke Cage up because their origin stories are both pretty cool and I wouldn't want to miss each of them getting their own time to shine. It is pretty exciting that they will get their own show it is such a great opportunity Marvel has here to really make a mark on TV. Going with Netflix gives me a lot of confidence that they quality of the show will be head and shoulders above Agents of Shield, which is watching its audience dwindle due to its rather low quality. I am certain that the Netflix shows are going to be really impressive and can hardly wait.