20 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2013 7:27 PM by N4CR Triickster RSS

A cry for help from the eSports community (PLEASE READ)

romcdona

Firstly, I would like to start off by saying this is the worst Call of Duty ever made and Raven Software should never be allowed develop the MP series again.

There is so much wrong with this game out of the box both from a casual gaming perspective to that of a competitive player.

I'm posting here on behalf of eSports and will try explain what needs to be changed below. The amount of work put in by Treyarch to revolutionise competitive COD cannot and should not be destroyed by Infinity Ward and Raven Software.

1. Hit detection - Your net code is terrible. When you die in-game it is instantaneous and feels/looks exactly like you were dropped in 1 bullet and 1 bullet only. From the kill-cam you can clearly see that the enemy who killed you done so in 4 bullets or thereabouts. It seems as though the game is accounting for your death before the bullets even connect in real-time. It's quite possible this is an engine problem but it's something that irks me.

2. Health - Why am i playing hardcore mode with radar on in core? Seriously. It seems like no matter what range i'm constantly getting dropped immediately. This is not competitive by any means and i'll explain why.

Given a 30 bullet clip and the fact that it takes 2 bullets to kill means that you only have to hit 6% of the entire clip to kill someone. I believe this is a terrible implementation as it does in no way, shape, or form account for gunskill.

E.g. Step 1: I run through a hallway and there is an enemy sitting in a corner.
             Step 2: He begins to fire and misses his first 28 bullets before starting to shoot on target.
             Step 3: I begin to fire as he has 2 bullets remaining.
             Step 4: My bullets start to register immediately as my aim is far superior.
             Step 5: I die as he was in fire mode even though he only hit 2/30 bullets.

Does this not set off alarm bells in your head as a developer? There is no skill-gap at present in this game because the health is so low.

I done some health tests on System Link (LAN) and found that double the current health is slightly too much but feel the addition of a 1.5 times the current health as a standard would allow this game play at a level that ensures 9/10 the player with superior gun skill, hand-eye co-ordination, and reflexes wins the gunfight. Bare in mind that if the health is increased the grenade damage will have to increase proportionally. Just use common sense.

3. Maps - Dear, oh dear, where to begin. They are far too big, depressing, and promote corner camping. I'm quite surprised that IW allowed Ravensoft make the MP maps after the reviews the Black Ops 1 DLC got. The game needs smaller maps. Take Firing Range, Summit, Raid, Standoff, Slums, Bootleg, and Hardhat as prime examples and get to work.

Designing MP maps is not a difficult task, so I really don't see the problem.

4. Modes - From a competitive standpoint the modes do not work. A lot of this stems from the health level and also due to the complete cluster that is the map design. Treyarch showed exactly why both CTF and HP were in the game and you removed them. Why?. Who knows. I just get the impression that anything positive that Treyarch adds is automatically removed. Completely baffles me.

Add Hardpoint and CTF. eSports needs it from both a spectator, codcaster, and player perspective.

5. Codcaster - For all that is good and holy please add codcaster. It completely changed eSports commentary in Black Ops 2 and what happened? You removed it once again. Stop being so egotistical and accept when another developer gets something right. You don't see Treyarch removing things you do right, so why do you do it? Set your ego aside and work at making this game better with every passing year.

6. Private match settings - Take a close look at those available in Black Ops 2 and do exactly that. No shortcuts, no ifs, no buts. Just do it.

These are very simple things you can fix if you want to. The key word being WANT. eSports is counting on you to remedy these huge problems because if you fail to implement the above you will have took a big 'poop' on all the work done by Treyarch and the huge influx of eSports fans they brought.

Yours sincerely,

Disgruntled but hopeful competitive Call of Duty player.

PS: Please don't let eSports die. We beg you.

• Re: A cry for help from the eSports community (PLEASE READ)
          myevo8you

1. The kill cam is NOT a accurate representation of what happened. Never has and never will be. It is there to give you a general idea of what happened. IT IS NOT AN INSTANT REPLAY!

2. If an enemy gets of 28 bullets BEFORE you turn and fire, whether they hit or miss, you DESERVE to die. And NO it is NOTHING like real HC.

3. YES, I agree that the maps are too big. However your statement is flawed. Treyarch was in lead control of the final product of their DLC maps. IW has ALWAYS been the worst developer for maps with their drab and dark style.

4. CTF and Hardpoint were two of the LEAST populated modes in BO2. No argument can be made as to why they should have prevelance over modes such as HC DOM or other popular modes.

5. Streaming from a gaming console is a HORRIBLE idea and puts extra strain on the connections (hence more lag). Notice how much better the hit detection is without theater and streaming?

6. I can't comment as I haven't messed with private matches enough to know.

eSports and the people that think they are COD gods because of it need to get over themselves. This game SHOULD NOT BE TAILORED TO MAKE 1% OR LESS OF THE PEOPLE THAT PLAY IT HAPPY. This is what ruined BO2. They increased movement speed, made the UAV really overpowered by not having a perk protect you unless you are pretty much rushing, made the game so SMG friendly that you could run ANY map with one and be successful, added League play (which was a MAJOR fail) with around 1,500 people playing it at any given time, and generally made what could have been the best COD since COD4 kind of meh...

CTF and Hardpoint were two out 3 gamemodes in League play for Black Ops 2 and they were fantastic. Yes i'll agree with that they weren't the most popular in the PUBLIC side of things but they should atleast add it to private match for events like the did for search and destroy. 1500 playing league play? You clearly never saw the 10-12k playing at the start of a new season and then 5-6k continuing on for the rest of the month. Finally. Yes we are gods. Some people of eSports  (Not all) are the gods of the gods of the cod community not the public players going 60-0 in public matches.

The Map Design is horrific. What happened to the 3-lane philosophy that worked out so well for COD 4 and W@W?

I guess they deliberately made them clusterfucks to cater to casual players? Either way... the maps are terrible. I can sketch better maps on a piece of paper in 10 seconds, I can't believe incompetent morons are payed a salary to suck so much at something that is so easy for anyone with any common sense.

starbuckfrack

crunkndatrunk wrote:

The Map Design is horrific. What happened to the 3-lane philosophy that worked out so well for COD 4 and W@W?

I guess they deliberately made them clusterfucks to cater to casual players? Either way... the maps are terrible. I can sketch better maps on a piece of paper in 10 seconds, I can't believe incompetent morons are payed a salary to suck so much at something that is so easy for anyone with any common sense.

They made them that way including the size cause a high majority of players complained and wanted them that way. When you are a corporation you give the majority what it wants.

myevo8you

"Skilled" players do NOT need things adapted for them, i.e. remoaval of guns, perks, attachments, etc. In all actuality there were TONS of complaints form these "skilled" players over removing guns, attachments, perks, etc. all the time in the BO2 forums. This is NOT a sign of a skilled player.

rlbl

For the record, nothing was removed. IW never had the things you claimed "disappeared".  Maybe it is semantics, but I think you mean "They could have included them".

"esports" already got a game created and catered specifically to them. Which should be more than satisfactory for all 38 players around the globe who actually care about competitive video gaming. Go double-tap Y in that game. No one will miss you.

maccabi

romcdona wrote:

PS: Please don't let eSports die. We beg you.

you know playing the same game modes constantly is stagnating esports. Stagnation will eventually lead to decline .

Treyarch bent over for E-Sports and as a result pandered to the needs of the few and disregarded the many. Pandering to E-Sports has helped, in my opinion anyway, killed Call of Duty for the normal lone wolf player.

r33k

i disagree on your map opinion.

these maps bring back a cod 4 esque appearance which i can see IW going for. they are on the larger side, but objectives are not out of reach(talking about DOM). even on stonehaven, you can quickly get to the flags when needed. most of the space in the larger maps is outlying territory. used to TDM and such. objective game play is still tight, or as tight as is allowable on these maps. take stormfront for instance. A flag and B flag are within seconds of each other. so is C flag and B flag. this formula is present on the other maps as well. taking away the bad KC spawning mechanism, this game mode as well will spawn the player within the confines of the battle. a player is not spawned  in an opposite corner from where the center of the front is. so you are not running 20 miles to get to where the action is. i support the maps in this game. they are one of the only positives in this game.

i disagree on your health opinion.

2 bullet kills are just fine. i can understand why they wouldn't be in most core players minds because they are used to 4 bullet kills. there is a way to solve this however. work on reaction time. this is how us HC players have been playing since COD 4. reaction reaction reaction. forgive me if i have little sympathy for core players and health concerns lol. i find this was a fair tradeoff since us HC players got seriously taken out in this release. now we can play core even though the core aids are rather childish and the mini map can be quite annoying.

i agree with you on the CTF and hardpoint modes. in addition, there should be a ONE CTF mode. that has some of the best game play as each team struggles for the single flag. as it stands, blitzed and cranked are duds. infected is so bad i can barely get a lobby and i really have no desire to play it.

i 100% agree with you OP. Why they did the things that they did blows my mind, it just doesn't make sense. We can only hope they come out with patches to fix these problems but that still doesn't fix the problems with these awful maps. But wait, they will release a map pack that has all of the good stuff on it and think they will get my money...not gonna happen! thankfully i won this game at a local tourney so i have no money invested in this game and i will not be upgrading it unless they fix this mess.

I dont understand how in this interview she says the developmental team listened to forums and youtube ? Xbox One Preview Event - INTERVIEWS: Tina Palacios - @Teanah - YouTube really because thats pretty impossible because none asked for the removal of Hardpoint, CTF, SCORESTREAKS, Codcaster, I just don't understand why you couldn't listen. Why did you have the pros come to Los Angeles did you listen to anything that they said it just makes no sense at all. The maps are unplayable why make a city as a map. Just ridiculous why take out league play. WHY SAY YOUR GOING TO SUPPORT E SPORTS IF YOUR NOT GOING TO LISTEN OR SUPPORT/IMPLEMENT E SPORTS into your game WHY

DalekonDrugs

Don't listen to these sheep man I totally agree with you the map design on 90% of these maps is awful I don't care how big they are I care that they are completely ridiculous and I actually like stonehaven it has a good layout but maps like stormfront are total garbage with no strategy and promotes camping in windows even on cranked, the bigger issues for me are that the hat you pointed out and the hackers, IW you said we had a new engine well prove it to us because a cod 4 HACK is in this game, what???? the same hack from 6 years ago in a new engine something does not smell right, everyone stop your bottom kissing and critique what needs to be critiqued the maps are poorly designed that is a fact not because they are too big but because their layout looks like a 5 year old's attempt of quantum physics 

NOt sure why anyone has an issue with a game being competetive. Least tey could have done is brought league play back.