16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2013 11:59 PM by starbuckfrack RSS

Dedicated Servers..what's the deal?

A lot of us only purchased Ghost because of the supposed Dedicated Servers. Has there been any official word from IW about them?

Latest reply: on Nov 13, 2013 11:59 PM by Replies: 16 in GHOSTS XBOX 360
      IR3DLIN3
        • Test #1
          Re: Dedicated Servers..what's the deal?

ok so they aren't online yet but tina the community manager tweeted to say they were being brought online soon.  its very likely that the dedicated servers will be sorted on or shortly after the next gen release to save money.

they are supplying the dedis for all platforms so investing in a launch for each system separately wouldn't be very smart when they are likely to be the same servers for all (and no i don't think we will be playing cross platform trolls).

we have a patch coming around the 15th November that will add S&D and likely address some spawn issues etc then end of the month will be dedis.  that's my bet

Last Edited: Nov 13, 2013 2:06 AM
          • Test #1

Well I can say this.

Depending on your location you might never get a dedicated server. They said the game will have both dedicated for the closer players and "P2P" for the ones too far away.

Last Edited: Nov 13, 2013 2:17 AM
            • Test #1

More than likely after the player base for CoD is split by the new consoles. If and/or when it happens will likely be after the holiday shopping season. When they would have more games sold and more of the new consoles likely to be sold.

Last Edited: Nov 13, 2013 2:17 AM
              • Test #1

All platforms get them . IW is still in release mode for next-gen.

The news was announced by Mark Rubin, executive producer at developer Infinity Ward. Posting on Twitlonger, a service which allows for extended posts on Twitter, Rubin elaborated on Infinity Ward's plans for dedicated servers.

The post details that Call of Duty: Ghosts "will be using a hybrid system of dedicated servers and listen servers".

Rubin cited the inclusion of dedicated servers as part of an "overall plan to improve connectivity".

Last Edited: Nov 13, 2013 2:22 AM
                • Test #1

What percentage would you say bought the game solely based on the dedicated servers? And where did you obtain these numbers from? People complain over the lack of dedicated servers and yet whine over "dying too fast". I can't even imagine the whining when dedicated servers are implemented...

Last Edited: Nov 13, 2013 2:53 AM
                    • Test #1

Have you noticed the general interest in the Cod community concerning dedicated servers?  There is a huge interest in them and they were also used as a selling point by Mark Ruben himself. I have never had a problem with the ttk in Ghost and enjoy the game to a point. Not sure what the point of your reply was though besides a poor attempt at sarcasm and to whine about other's whining.

Last Edited: Nov 13, 2013 3:26 AM
                    • Test #1

I'll be curious to see if they disclose the number of servers and general locations. I hope that since IW is located in the L.A. area that they would start there since I'm in Southern California and am suffering connection issues pretty badly. You would think that highly populated areas should have better connections based on the density of the playing population making it easier to connect to a good host but that doesn't seem to be happening for me or people I play with.

Last Edited: Nov 13, 2013 1:21 PM
                        • Test #1

Yeah, It's been awful these past few days in Ohio as well. I am sub 35 ms ping from Chicago, DC, and New York and I've also had bad host after bad host.  Complete supposition, but I am wondering if they are optimizing the P2P connections for areas that fall outside of dedicated server range.  It would make sense for them to change matchmaking to select hosts outside of this range as well in order to balance connections for p2p when the servers come online.

Last Edited: Nov 13, 2013 2:06 PM
                            • Test #1

I live in S.Indiana, and have basically the same scenario as you regarding connection testing. I seem to get host a lot though. I'll just be happy to be getting off work tomorrow and getting the 4 and being done with the PS3 community that has molested their routers to "solve lag comp disadvantage". Yet when the game plays horribly a year later... the morons forget that they paid attention to some cashier from SwiftMart that put up a YouTube video saying,"this how you beat the lag comp in CoD".

Last Edited: Nov 13, 2013 2:45 PM
                          • Test #1

Yes.. whats the deal with that?

Last Edited: Nov 13, 2013 2:20 PM
                            • Test #1

Just remember not to get your hopes up. If you live in an unpopulated area of the US for example you might never see a dedicated server. If you are in the UK you might only see one dedicated server area for the whole region.

It basically will choose which connection is best for you . Dedis or P2P.

Last Edited: Nov 13, 2013 11:59 PM