18 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2013 4:38 PM by jibmoney RSS

IW, still want COD to be a success on pc? Here's what you have to do.

1. The first thing you have to do, and this is important if you want the pc community to trust you again, you have to aknowledge the pc release didn't go as planned and you botched it up. We all make mistakes and part of growing as a human being is taking responsibility for our mistakes. Don't hide behind corporate b*llshit, show some backbone and just be honest.

2. Tell us what you're working on. Which problems have priority, how long you think it's gonna take to fix them and when you hope to upload the patch. In other words, be transparent. Transparency is very important when it comes to trusting someone. There is no basis for any kind of trust when a company remains completely silent, it makes us feel like we don't matter. Show us we do matter. We won't mind if a patch takes longer than you first thought, as long as you keep us updated. We understand some problems are hard to figure out, it's something we all experience in life. Just keep us updated and keep the trust alive.

3. Also very important. Give us rentable dedicated servers asap. Matchmaking simply doesn't work well on pc's due to the lower playercount, we have to be able to connect to a server closeby. We also want the ability to admin our own servers so we can kick hackers the moment we spot them so we can all enjoy a lag and cheatfree game. I don´t think that´s too much to ask for.

4. Give us 2 simple pc features wich have been a part of pc gaming for years. Unlimited fps and integrate a FOV slider into the game. Pretty much every PC first person shooter has these two thing so if others can do it so can you. In fact, I´m sure you know how to do it, now you just have to be willing to do it. Again, show us we matter.

5. Tell us what data you need from us regarding our rigs and what not. You can resolve the problems the majority of us are having faster if you have more info to work with. In other words, help us to help you.

I think I speak for the entire pc community when I say that if you do these things Ghosts still has a very good chance to become a success on the pc. We all payed hard earned money for the game and we don´t want to see it go to waiste.

• Re: IW, still want COD to be a success on pc? Here's what you have to do.
          Shouldabeen

It also seems even more devestating on PC, because we are having our own issues on top of what's going on in general. It seems that other communities are fairly disapointed with the killstreak reward selection, along with the fairly random spawning system and maps that seem a bit on the large side.

I understand that Activision wanted to have an on time release, but if the game was not ready to be released, it should not have. The community would have been a little upset, but it wouldn't be anything like having the bad PR of a bad release.

Also, to go with my previous statements, (this is not meant to be a bash, but more the truth) Blizzard has released expansions for WoW that went bad, and they had it fixed in a few days. Just to give you an idea of what I'm getting at... WoW's player base was (at one point) more than 100x CoD's player base on PC. Now, I do not know what the actual amount of subscriptions Ghosts has sold for the PC, but I can guess from the amount of active players online that it can't be more than 50k-75k.

Back in MW2, the PC player base was much larger, and that's mostly because hackers were taken care of*, and lag wasn't that much of an issue.

*Denotates the main reason why people have been leaving PC.

Our entire community, including myself, is very upset with this game. If you don't do something about this, your next CoD game will probably not sell at all on PC. I just checked, and Black Ops 2 actually has more people online right now than ghosts. Granted it is off peak hours, but that shouldn't be an excuse.

I find it interesting that you mention Blizzard fixing things within the first few days considering they're the same company as Activision. Bliz has had the history of messing things up with new xpacks but quickly noticing and announcing that they are fixing it. They get things done. It's like they're the lesser evil half of the company. Now if only the Activision half would take some notes from the Bliz half when it comes to customer support and PR and get on it. They should be riding IW to get fixes and patches done to make the game playable for all the players, not just some.

It is a real shame that the game was clearly released at least a month earlier than it should have been just to meet a deadline (kinda another thing that Bliz tends to do...delay everything until it's at least playable and quickly fixed within a few days).

Shouldabeen wrote:

Back in MW2, the PC player base was much larger, and that's mostly because hackers were taken care of*, and lag wasn't that much of an issue.

*Denotates the main reason why people have been leaving PC.

Did we play the same MW2? Because MW2 was a laggy hackfest for the time I played it. (Until i found a certain modification that made it more enjoyable if you catch my drift)

I think alot of people aren't playing ghosts because of the inflated RAM requirement and the issues with FPS and whatnot.

AMEN! Bought the game day 1 and it is still NOT WORKING and it ain't my computer!

You surely do speak for the PC community that I see myself part of. Well said and I commend you for not being another complainer, we need more serious and grounded posts like this on here. Well written post too!

Totally agree with you mate. But I don't think they will ever implement 3 and 4, though they are just basic features of any PC shooter, they just don't care. PC is so far down their priority that they don't probably have enough time/resources to implement the features, because most of their profit comes from consoles. Trying to play a proper game from day one, cant even create a soldier without the menu freezing up every 5 seconds. Some people solved it going offline on steam, but it doesn't work for me, but in any case that is NOT a solution, just a workaround. They did mention fixes coming on the 15th, but I doubt that it will be of any help to PC users.

weirdenergy

+1 totally agreed. Right now the game is unplayable for a lot of people, they sould fix this stutter/lag/framedrops ASAP and add FOV slider (third parties have released FOV adjuster on day one, so this cant be difficult) and then deal with spawns and other problems.. I say it again, right now the game is UNPLAYABLE for a lot of people (maybe even majority) and this is unacceptable.

100% behind this post, but IL disappoint you all, this has been asked and asked meany of times before in MW2, MW3.

Don't hold your breath i'm sure 100% IW will not release public ranked dedicated servers for the PC.

Sad news i know.

If they wanted CoD Ghosts to be a success on PC, they would have launched it with proper support.  

Have no doubt that they are doing extra work to restrict PC to the "Xbox experience"  - They could just release the server files, and allow us to modify what we need in the config (ping, fov,maxfps, etc)   and it would be an insane improvement over what they have done. 

They even removed the ping reading for crying out loud!! (on all platforms!)  Why? There's only one logical reason, It was done in order to hide everyone's ping so they never have to fix connection issues or improve their game... This is not something a developer would do if they had even the tiniest bit of interest in supporting their game.

100% agree.

First should be FOV because its by far the easiest to implement.

Mouse input fix. It feels completely wrong and delayed and not smooth at all (my biggest issue)

Second on my list is optimisation. The actual game lag to me is the second biggest issue.

Show ping, why was this left out?

Finally dedicated servers. This is a must. BlOps 2 had true dedicated servers. Match making was just used to place you in a server and if I remember correctly you could choose the max ping (or this was MW3, one of the two) which is a must as well.

Raven007140 wrote:

BlOps 2 had true dedicated servers.

Sorry but you could not be more wrong... Black Ops 2 did NOT use "true" dedicated servers.

True dedicated servers consist of 3 primary things present in every other dedicated server system ever used prior to the release of Black Ops 2..

1) Localized servers spread around the entire world - everyone has "local" servers nearby.

2) Admins to enforce civilized behavior and remove problematic players and hackers.

3) A server browser to allow players to instantly see and join servers of their choice.

Black Ops 2 had none of these things...

1) The servers were centralized in only 3-4 max locations worldwide. Many players (myself included) did NOT have local servers when we should have.  - Pings under 100ms were 100% impossible with even the fastest internet available.   (Every other dedicated server system has local servers for me, I can play between 30-60ms)

2) There are no admins in Black Ops 2 whatsoever... in any way shape or form. Players spouting racism, profanity, vulgar obscene sexual innuendo's, and of course hackers, are left completely free to run wild without ever facing consequences.

3) It is 100% impossible to choose what game you join in Black Ops 2... You are at the complete mercy of the matchmaking algorithm and can only click "join game"  - You cannot choose to join dependent upon the map, pings, players, or even server location...

The "servers" in Black Ops 2 actually accomplish the exact opposite of what any properly working server system is supposed to do. The very reason to have dedicated servers in the first place is to allow players to quickly join and play civilized, lag free games of their choice.    In BO2 you have to sit and wait forever to be placed in uncivilized, lag filled games, many of which you would never choose to join.

100% agreed... hackers are starting to emerge like fungus... seen couple of em in like last 6h... and the way you can report them is crap. As soon as a game ends they tend to leave immediately so you cant even click on nick to report so pretty much they don't care. Dedicated servers?? You bet'cha!! and the ping indicator is needed for sure.

Happy to see someone put down in words how me and my mates feel. Hopefully this information echoes all the way through to the right ears.

The Only way you will get theme to listen and that's to go and camp out side there offices with big banners .

Telling theme  how they have ripped us off again.

when they have a few hundred chanting dedicated servers it may just get there attention ?

mrhuk

While they're at it we need proper audio options (voice, music etc).

jibmoney

Well said and I hope IW and co creators step up to the plate and at least tell the community they are working on their baby. I would be happy with the lag to go away if anything. I am 55 down and 15 up and never had so much lag even in BO1. IW customer service please!!!!!!!!!!