Please consider this as feedback. I'm also reporting a few bugs here, this is why I put it into support forum. Thank you.
I believe sniper rifles in Call of Duty: Ghosts (on PC) are made just for show, just to fill the "sniper rifle" slot, because people would be amazed if sniper rifles were removed. Reasons to believe they weren't made to be played with seriously:
1. How often do you see snipers of high levels in the game? I don't. I only notice one or two at largest maps in hardcore TDM games, and its a rare occasion. It seems, every experienced player already understands that in any, absolutely any game mode using LMG, AR or SMG will get them best results. On a side note: when was the last time you saw someone with a shotgun?
2. Map layout completely eliminates any possibility of sniping - all interesting spots, rocks, boxes are all out of reach, you can only run around in a very small, limited space, you can't even get on top of a table. Sniping can be successful if you find an unexpected position, this game doesn't have such - you need to move after each shot or you'll be killed (maps are so small enemies literary spawn next to you and come for revenge).
3. Terrible FPS drops while aiming down the scope. Funny thing: I lowered some settings and it seems I get stable 60-90 FPS all the time (no FRAPS yet). Except the moment when I look down the sniper rifle sight (multi-zoom). When I do, my frame rate drops to horrible 15-20 FPS, it literary is a slide show with enemies jumping 2-3 meters per frame. The best part - it only stutters so bad when I try to move my aim, scope sway doesn't cause such dramatic FPS drops.
4. I believe, this game engine wasn't made with snipers in mind. You get worst accuracy, hitting someone doesn't guarantee hurting them (some bullets fly through for no reason), when you shoot someone's suit, you miss their body in 80% cases, unless its through the middle of the chest, L115 + chrome barrel + AP bullets do not guarantee a kill with 1 bullet - some survive being hit in the chest.
5. Best part: how to avoid getting killed while fighting a sniper at close distance: go prone! I shot a guy who was on his knee (crouched), the bullet went straight through him. Killcam shows he went prone while shooting and the bullet actually went over his head.
Simply speaking, its very hard to play with a sniper rifle, its very limiting compared to Assault Rifles. You'll be outgunned every time in Core modes. In hardcore modes (there is a shocking amount of Hardcore modes - 3, no domination, no HQ, just TMD, kill confirmed and SnR) sniper rifle is the only gun that guarantees a kill if you hit. But most ARs and even SMGs will also kill with a single bullet, and considering they're damn accurate even across the map and the fact map layout eliminates any good camping spots, sniper rifles can't really shine anywhere.
Blew off some steam
Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed it!
PS: yeah, guille suit. 35% completed, approximately. Gave up on balls of steel 2, it gives only an icon while ruining your KD completely.
PPS: I didn't write about extinction challenges yet, get this: you get a challenge to spend $6k while fighting $5k worth amount of aliens, this basically means if you didn't bring any money with you (as in my case) this challenge is simply impossible to complete. Killed every one of them, spent $5.9k moneys (critical hits) but didn't have enough to finish challenge - had $300 on me, cheapest object was $500 for a trap.