32 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2013 4:32 AM by gallp13 RSS

So....these Dedicated Servers for XBOX One?

vims1990

I understand that Ghosts is using a hybrid system consisting of listen servers and dedicated servers but I'm just curious if anyone knows if they have played on dedicated servers so far?

From my time playing, it's been constant host migrations, losing connection to host and some noticeable lag spikes which I think it's safe to say that I've been playing on listen servers. Also, it doesn't help that there is no ping indicators/connection bars which doesn't help the situation.

So if you're 100% sure you're playing on dedicated servers, please share your experience here.

• Re: So....these Dedicated Servers for XBOX One?

Very rarely have I had a game where I felt like I was playing on dedicated servers. It seems to have the same old problems with players getting a host advantage and getting the constant drop on me regardless of how/when I see them first. It's just ridiculous that they promoted the game as having dedicated servers.

I have had some rubber banding effects, but overall ghosts game play is about 50x more smooth then black ops 2 (yes i did play that game a lot up until ghosts came out) Connection issues don't just arise from their servers, it can be affected by so much its not even funny. Make sure you have open nat too, that increases the amount of people you can connect too!

allstarpro

I'm pretty sure we are playing dedicated servers. This by no means, means there will be 100% lag free. I have only played in one game so far that has migrated. I don't believe it was migrated from player to player, but from one server to a better fitted server for the players in the lobby.

allstarpro

We = Xbox one players

newm8n

i havent seen a host migration yet on the one and only a handful on  360

game play has been spot on no real lag to speak of

i play hc so i dont know if that matters, but when i load in i 90% of time have a 25 second counter and if i pick class quick and check scoreboard everyone else is red so they havnt loaded in yet.  with that being said i dont know if i am host or just load faster but i am not at a disadvantage

shaw broadband 50 internet package (edmonton alberta)

starbuckfrack

I dont think anyone REALLY can be 100 percent sure. But according to some data from the other day it SEEMS like San Antonio and Tampa area  have them.

But that is only assumption based on no host migrations.

I will say this just in case there is a connection.......

Have you noticed that normally we get 20 to 30 people saying they got DDOSed (BO2 days) but since Ghosts came out I have yet to see anyone claim they got DDOSed ?

Better connections maybe ??

squirrelness

I'm fairly certain that I've been playing on them.  Minus a few bad games it's been pretty good.

Anyway, what makes me think that I've been on dedicated servers is this:  One of the bad games I was having (I was 4-12, three or four spawn kills, it wasn't fun) my one year old son....who likes to push buttons....turned off my One.  So I joked with my wife that 'well, at least the stats won't count this way.'

Wrong.

Started the console back up, went back into Ghosts and my k/d ratio had gone down and it counted as a loss.  So dashboarding appears to do nothing anymore.  Hopefully when this news gets out all the kiddies who have a 6+ winning percentage because they dashboard when they are losing will stop dashboarding and either just leave or finish the game out. 

newm8n

ok so i when into my settings and ran a detailed network statistics. i am going to assume its like a ping test to the nearest server, xbox server? i hope so cause that would mean i am close but i wont hold my breath. but my question is whats up with the 1% upload packet loss? the second time i ran it it was 3%. so can  any internet gurus explain that to me thanks366.JPG

simonm

well an official word on the matter from the higher powers that be would be nice . Ive not experienced a host migration myself yet but ive also been in some games where it feel like the entire opposition has the drop on all of my team and the scores reflect a one sided match. then the next game its back to playing normally again and the scores are 'fairly even' again

mcdonamw

I would like to know an answer to this myself.  I am in the Tampa area, but my Xbox Live latency reports 100+.  In Battlefield PC, I'm usually 10-15ms to their servers.  Sure I understand the Xbox statistics probably come from a server that is nowhere near the Ghost servers I would be connecting to, but 100+?  I would expect 300K Xbox Live servers would have some of them near me!

With respects to Ghost itself.. I've had a case where the game closed down with the good old error "could not migrate host".  I've also had some games that felt near perfect, but others that had me stuttering across the screen like I was playing on a China server.  There are clearly some issues with regards to the matchmaking and this hybrid system.  I'm sure a lot of it is based on the people in a given lobby as I recall seeing something about that with regards to the hybrid system.  I seem to notice it mostly when I'm on really late (11PM EST and on) and in my lobbies that only have <800 players playing within.

Noob_Lyncher

Honestly, most of my games seem to have little or no lag. I did have 2 games yesterday where the host migrated, and then everyone had horrible lag for the rest of the match.

Malacath

I have been wondering if there are dedicated servers as well. Not sure how to tell.

The only clue i might be using them is ive had no host migrations yet. On 360 version they were quite common.

vims1990

Well I did manage to record live gameplay and this is what I and a number of my mates get playing Ghosts on the XBOX One. I don't expect no lag but this is just unplayable especially if the rumours are that the XBOX One is dedicated servers only.

mcdonamw

I've had a couple games like this (and even 2-3 failed host migrations) but they are VERY few and far between.  So few, that I'm in disbelief at times.  Most of the time it plays exceptionally well for me.  90% of my games in mw3 and bo2 were "WTF!! Scream fests", but it happens so rarely now for me which is awesome.

I do however usually see it get more laggy as the night progresses and the population counts dwindle (sometimes less than 1000 in HCTDM).  Even with such a low population it still plays ridiculously well.  Previous CODs lagged all over the place with 300,000 players playing.

I think for the most part we are on dedicated servers, but when the population gets low and you're matched with others around the country/globe, sometimes listen servers may end up being optimal for the majority involved.

Either way I say IW did a great job with the network code on this one (at least from my vantage point).  With that said, however, I completely dislike   ***EDIT... WTF happened here?  The remaining part of this post was just left out???  LOL.  I basically went on a rant about how even though my play experience feels better, I truly dislike this game as a whole.  There's literally nothing about it that I like (short of the running slide.  I think that's cool as hell).

vims1990

mcdonamw wrote:

I think for the most part we are on dedicated servers, but when the population gets low and you're matched with others around the country/globe, sometimes listen servers may end up being optimal for the majority involved.

I'm glad you're getting a solid experience. I wish I could say the same for myself but really it's just insta-deaths and constant rubber banding lag for myself and a number of my mates.

I guess without ping indicators in-game and how difficult it is to find where the other players in the lobby are located on the XBONE, I can't tell if it's on the game's end or on my end. It would be nice in-game if they at least told us we're playing on dedis or listens servers.

mcdonamw

***EDIT... DUDE WTF!  My posts are being randomly chopped up as I post them.

Let me check myself... I do, in fact, notice the insta-kills at times.  I usually don't notice it because I play hardcore.  But I am playing core more often now and it becomes readily apparent at times, but again mostly during late hours.  Without all the other blatantly obvious issues of past, I suppose I'm more apt to let some stuff slide this go around.

That sucks that you are having such a rough time.  It seems with each release there are large groups that constantly get shafted and the level tends to swap each time.

Also I agree.. they really need to provide more information.  As soon as I heard there was going to be a hybrid system, I immediately said to myself   "Great.  This is just going to make the lag issue more difficult to diagnose.  No one is ever going to know if they are on dedicated servers or p2ps."

I truly do not understand the level of effort they put in to try and mask everything behind closed doors.  Each iteration comes with more information hidden and removed (e.g. the ping bars).

At least they added the DVR functionality on the Xbox One which should lead to videos that may depict more realistic views of what players see vs. the horribly inaccurate replay/final match cams of the past.  Hopefully they work in some better Youtube integration to get those vids uploaded.  I'm not a fan of skydrive at all and I'm sure game makers won't care to support it.

gallp13

Dont know but this is what old gallp has experienced

- zero host migrations

- one host dashboard

- very low latency

Best CoD to date