29 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2013 12:47 AM by SinCaraxx RSS

My Report: Why I Did Not Buy Call of Duty Ghosts (Wii U)

barolb

So, on November 14-15th, Dazran, MrHuntinNoobs, A_Trey_U, myself and many others had a twitter discussion regarding the temporary aim assist deflect in Ghosts, as well as a small discussion about other FPS games and DLC, etc. One way lead to another, and i basically said:

"I could write you a 5 page essay, single space, on why i won't buy it. Not joking."

Indeed, i did just that. I wrote a full 6 page (not 5), single spaced, report on why i won't buy Call of Duty: Ghosts, and to some extent it involved into why i lost trust in Call of Duty as a whole. An introduction that introduces my history in having both owned and playing Call of Duty, as well as my own personal venture in how i reached my conclusion to why i believe *these* to be problems. I did not mention fixes for these issues, as it is up to management to decide what to do. Of course, it is pretty easy to see what kind of fix i do imply should be implemented.

This is not pertaining to the whole system that is Call of Duty, but only a portion of it, which is why i believe it to be justifiable to exist in the Wii U sub-forum as it pertains, specifically, to the Wii U version. Mention of the system as a whole is unavoidable, so it is mentioned and used in the paper.

I wrote a total 4,390 words, and it was originally written in MLA format, although do forgive how sucky my citing and lack of a cover page is. It's not for marks, so i could care less if there isn't a cover page. So, with that stated, i would like to also mention the use of footnotes. There are a total of 7 footnotes throughout the paper. In order to allow better readability the footnotes, or i suppose endnotes (now) will all be located after the works cited. They are also hyperlinked, as per thanks to the Call of Duty forum, so it should allow easy of ability to move between them and the paper. Anything i did not include originally in the paper, such as citations will be marked with a *, starting at ** to make it more noticeable. They will be located below the endnotes.

I did not spend an appropriate time writing this. While having spent 9 hours writing this, for a report of this stature it is not entirely feasible, and as a result is still incomplete to a fair extent. The extent at which it's not complete i, personally, don't mind; however, since i'm posting this, i would like to request that you, the reader, do not take everything as 'finalized' point, but rather an opinion. It is not to say that there do not exist any complete thoughts in this paper, but rather that there is much more i could write on the matter. I only spent 9 hours writing. If i so wished i could write an additional 5 pages, but that would be overly excessive and unneeded. I know that there is indeed a chance of this paper having an inaccurate point, so if you do spot something of the sorts, then be sure to note it.

With that stated, i would like to close this pre-intro portion by explaining why i'm post this. Since i completed the paper, i've wondered if i should post it here or not. I do believe that it's ok to post here, but i don't so much trust how people would react to it. Some may react in favor of it; others may respond to it critically, or the rest may flame it for what it is. Those who flame it are the ones i've worried about, when it came posting. Since A_Trey_U hasn't responded to my tweets, and since i don't post much on the Ghosts forum (as i don't believe i have a proper right to critically discussion aspects of this game as i don't own it), i thought it would be for the best to post it here on the forums. For the previously stated reason, i would like to request that if this gets out of hand that the mod, whomever they be, delete all replies and then lock the thread so that it can still be seen by the developers as this was originally meant as a critical, opinionated, report.

All has been stated, and i hope you enjoy this read. This took me about 9 hours to write and edit, and comes to a total 4,390 words (not including the top part, title, and citation). Enjoy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------

Wii U and Distrust of Call of Duty

Since the release of the Nintendo Wii U, and the hype surrounding the video game console, I have come to many different realizations about both business, selling a product, and, most importantly, the treatment of consumers after buying a product. Development of Call of Duty titles on Nintendo platforms seem to fall on the development studio Treyarch, alot of the time, and while I have no dislike with how Treyarch handles the series, there are many things that I do view as being problematic. The development cycle, treatment of consumers, and the handling of development being some prime examples. The reasoning behind this response is the result of clashing of opinions, discussions, and beliefs introduced through realizations as a result of these issues. I would like to start off with my own personal history of Call of Duty.

A few years ago, I bought my first Call of Duty title; Call of Duty Modern Warfare Reflex on boxing day, from a store called Futureshop. Despite this being the first title I have owned from the Call of Duty brand, I was first introduced to the series by playing Call of Duty and Call of Duty 2 with a friend a few years prior. At the time, I did not recall that these games were related, so it was not a factor in the purchasing of this game. The reasoning behind buying the title, however, was a result of my attraction to the use of the Wii Remote in a first-person shooter called The Conduit. I greatly enjoyed the multiplayer, and poured many hours during my summer that year into the title's online multiplayer. Because this game introduced me to the Wii Remote's use in first-person shooters, I liked it alot and wished to continue this enjoyment. For that reason, I did research and came across Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex and decided to purchase it to fuel my enjoyment. This become my proper introduction to the Call of Duty franchise.

Since this time, I continued to use the Wii Remote in every iteration of the Call of Duty games, on the Nintendo Wii (Wii) console, and continued to buy them, then after, on their launch up until this iteration. When Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 was announced, I had decided to cease buying Call of Duty games after this title due to the feeling of repetition, and continuously support towards the developers (with my money) year after year became a hefty investment that began to nolonger feel worthwhile. The reasoning behind this lied in the titles post Call of Duty:Modern Warfare Reflex.

Call of Duty: Black Ops, while although I found to be even more enjoyable than Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex, suffered from a few issues that made playing the game difficult. While I did not mind them completely, and many portions of the game were very enjoyable, over the course of many months of playing the game it became apparent that they needed to be addressed. The problem was that those issues were not addressed. The reasoning behind this was not clear and, at the time, the developer who oversaw the Wii community on the official Call of Duty forums, had disappeared without a trace. Something regarding this issue did not seem right to me, so I began looking into the matter. One of the key things I discovered was Infinity Ward refusing to develop on the Wii. As a new fan of the Call of Duty franchise, and Wii-only owner, I found this disappointing news. This prompted me to research the reasoning of Call of Duty Modern: Warfare Reflex's presence on the platform. Surprising, I learned that, the developer studio, Treyarch had ported the game over to the Wii. This lead to a feeling of care that the developers at Treyarch took in bringing a video game that the originator neglected to bring to a platform. I felt both satisfied, and troubled that this was occurring; however, I decided to ignore it. At this time, I started reading into the reasons behind Infinity Ward's dislike of the Wii, and other developers' thoughts and feelings towards the platform.

Several months later the missing developer from the Call of Duty forums reappeared, along with the announcement of Call of Duty: MW3 for the Wii. Around this same time, i was looking into buying another platform in order to play the video games that were not on the Wii, that I wanted to play. I ultimately decided to buy a PlayStation 3 (PS3) due to its use as a blu-ray player. Later, when I went to buy it, my parents urged me to settle on a bundle, so i picked the Call of Duty: Black Ops with PlayStation 3 bundle. In addition to this, I also bought Call of Duty: World At War, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, God of War 1,2 and 3; and L.A. Noire. Having played and mostly enjoyed the game on the Wii, I thought that playing it on the PS3 should yield a 'superior' experience as many people have told me previously. After playing the game on the platform, I concluded that the Wii version was better. Despite additional features, such as Theatermode, Emblems, the flamethrower gun attachment, and many additional killstreaks; the game's multiplayer did not feel as good as on the Wii. I ultimately decided that I would be better off enjoying the game with a control scheme that I also greatly enjoyed, which is why I decided to not continue playing Call of Duty: Black Ops, for multiplayer, on my PS3. I did, however, continue to play the zombies game-mode from time-to-time. Both in-game issues, and community wise, were the main reasons behind my departure from this version. Luckily, Call of Duty: MW3 was to be released soon, so I settled on buying that for both my Wii and PS3.

The first day of playing Call of Duty: MW3, I went straight to my PS3, and started playing it. I originally thought the Wii version, once again, would be the version i found more enjoyable; however, to my surprise, I enjoyed this version greatly. Believing that the Wii version would prove to also be grand, I turned on my Wii and proceeded to play it. Upon my first match, I noticed the differences between the two versions, and encountered issues that were not on the PS3 version. I decided to go back and play on the PS3 version for the meantime, and after the following patches for the Wii version, I tried the game again, but still did not enjoy it. This lead me to side with the notion that the Wii version was not as fun as the PS3 version, and as so I decided to play on that version exclusively for MW3. From time to time, I would play the Wii version, but I was unable to properly enjoy it as much as the PS3 version; However, due to my dissatisfaction, i decided to continue playing Call of Duty: Black Ops on the Wii. I still found the game greatly enjoyable, and continued to do so under the assumption that the game will never receive another patch. Meanwhile, I continued to keep track of MW3 on the Wii, and played it on my PS3. Later, when support for the Wii version ended, but continued on the PS3, I was skeptical and unsure of why. I couldn't come up with a proper answer to this question until the following iteration, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 was to be released on Nintendo's, at the time, forth-coming next-generation video game console: The Nintendo Wii U (Wii U).

With all this out of the way, I can now properly introduce the reason behind this report. My initial reason for buying Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 was to play the zombies game-mode, which I greatly enjoyed playing in parties on both the PS3 and Wii versions of Call of Duty: Black Ops. Due to the amount of time spent playing the multiplayer game-modes of the Call of Duty titles, I decided that I would spend my time enjoying the other game-modes more, with this title potentially being my final purchase due to all previous purchases1. Upon the release of the game, for the Wii U, I found the controls slightly abnormal. I wanted to be optimistic that this problem would eventually be fixed. Due to my research on the Wii in previous years, and contrasting to the Wii U, I believed that the Wii U was on a more refined level in terms of system architecture and capabilities than the Wii, and would not as easily limit a developer and require so much custom work, which appeared to be something that Nintendo held close for both the Wii, and its predecessor, the Nintendo Gamecube. I held ground and believed that this would be properly fixed, and that a repeat in history was not going to occur2. At this same time, I felt more captivated by the multiplayer than I did the zombies game-mode. I was surprised by how much fun I was having despite the controller issues. The one thing that kept me satisfied was being able to use the Wii Remote well, and to use it without too many problems when sniping. In retrospect, this belief was for naught.

What I feared the most did end up happening, but not before the final patch released for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 that caused a problem with the one thing that kept me satisfied with the mutiplayer aspect of the game: 'Wii Remote sniping', is the term I dub it as. The issue made me feel very dissatisfied as I was unable to properly use the Wii Remote and snipe with it in the multiplayer, at that point. To pour salt on the wound, so to speak, the game's support ended. Not only did I feel dissatisfied, but the one thing I wished that wouldn't happen happened. At this point, I began to try and reanalysis the situation to try and come up with a proper answer as no answers were still given. I was not satisfied, and in doing so I continued to try and reach possible conclusions. The first was the time it took to develop each title.

The length in development for Call of Duty titles appears to be about 1.4 years, with at least some appropriate percentage (my personal estimate is 40%) of the development studio on the project at the very beginning of each title. Due to my introduction to learning programming, and taking into account the different aspects of creating a video game, I determined that, in order for a Call of Duty title to be released each year, there must be work on the games simultaneously. In order for an annual title to be released, there would need to be two teams. These two teams were the two development studios Infinity Ward and Treyarch. By contrasting the two studios, I determined that only one studio had a supporting Nintendo platform team, which was Treyarch. The reason for this was due to Infinity Ward's declaration to not develop for the Wii in previous years**. Taking this into account, as well as the sizes of each development studio, and previous times where Treyarch had port over the Infinity Ward based titles, as well as packaging and disc printing times, it became clear to me that development on these games did not last an entire 2 years. The reasons behind the issues when the games launched, when comparing patch notes, showed that there were more issues at the launches of each game. This prompted the thought to introduce more efficiency in programming the games and less errors to make the games less buggy. Along this line of thinking, the lack of support on the games would be less problematic. However, this result was not satisfactory, but it brought up an important point on the development and business perspective of video games, to me.

Although Call of Duty is a well-known video game franchise, the bugs, glitches and issues included in it are problematic. Whenever i thought to compare them to games by other developers, I wondered why there was such a difference in the 'glitchiness' of the games. This thought hit me the worst when I finally unpackaged and got around to playing my copy of Super Mario Galaxy 2. The difference between the games were astounding. While Nintendo will always have the upper-hand in development of games on their platforms, the difference still struck me as abnormal. I had previously thought that if the games came out being too buggy that they should take longer in development, but the problem isn't just that, but the developer environment. The horror stories of being a developer often come up from time-to-time in news vendors. The most memorable story was that of L.A. Noire***, which made me question if i should even enjoy the video game as it, literally, 'sacrificed' so many people in order to make it, many of whom were not credited. This made me wonder about Activision's developer environment, and whether or not it was better. My gut says it couldn't be worse than the state with the development of L.A. Noire, but it is likely still hectic during the later half of the year when the Call of Duty title is to be launched. Of course, this was under a general assumption, so I thought about how this would work with the Nintendo platform development team. That is when I began to partially sympathize with the Nintendo platform development team. Since Infinity Ward did not have their own dedicated team, and while Treyarch did, pooling resources away from PS3, Xbox 360 (360) and PC would be difficult, so they relied on Treyarch then to bring the Nintendo platform versions. Of course, I couldn't sympathize completely since in business 'you do work and are compensated for it accordingly', thus I concluded that the Nintendo platform team also gets compensation for their additional work, which of course provides an incentive to be doing the work3. Although these thoughts trailed and continued, my ultimate conclusion, and one that dissatisfied me, was that the games took short development times to bring in profits at the cost of fixing issues. From a business perspective it's genius: Make use of a 'winning' formula, and take advantage of key times of the year to sell a game in order to reap in more profits. However, from a consumer perspective, I could see that the 'work' suffered in the process, and even at the very end it's still not completely fixed. The reason why is because they can't fix it due to the development cycle. If a problem is not fixed by some cut-off date of the year after the title is released, then it will not be fixed because the development team must work on the var_title+=2 iteration. This approach makes more money, but due to the short development time it takes its toll on the product. This is the first major point that I greatly started to dislike about the development practice within the Call of Duty franchise. While all this is subjective, and based on extreme assumptions, I wanted to understand more about the 'why' aspect of this, and whether or not it could be properly rectified and fixed for improvement.

When Battlefield 4 was revealed, the question of whether or not a Wii U version was in development was greatly discussed. Unfortunately, there was no Wii U version in development and the official statement was: “Sometimes, at least for us, it's focus on what you do well and what you know well, and ensure that you deliver something good than trying a bit too much, stretching yourself too thin and risking it...” (Eddie, Makuch). While I do agree that a quality work may suffer in the long run, this line of thinking became redundant and inexcusable when additional platforms PlayStation 4 (PS4) and Xbox One (Xbone) were added to the lineup. Although my understanding of software development is vague and unrefined, I found this to be nothing more than a petty excuse. While development on the PS4 and Xbone versions would be similar to PC, compared to the Wii U, there is still a displacement and allocation of programmers needed to each platform. If you have a set number of people doing work on a specific platform, there is only so many people you can take away before efficiency of development on that platform becomes damaged. With the addition of two platforms, that would still require several people to move from development of one platform to the development of the other two. If this statement was given at the time before a PS4 or Xbone version of the game was noted, or green-lit, I would very likely side by my stance on the matter. The only issue is that there is many things that happen behind the scene, and at the time of writing this, it is perfectly fair to say that development for those platforms, of a version of Battlefield 4, began. Despite this contradiction, I would like to contrast this to Call of Duty: Ghosts.

While, unlike EA Digital Illusions CE (DiCE), Infinity Ward and also in comparison to its sibling developer studio Treyarch, has a smaller development team. The number of people that work as programmers is much smaller, and thus the burden of taking on additional platforms would be difficult. This is where I agree to their outsourcing for the Wii U version of Call of Duty Ghosts specifically. Infinity Ward does not have the proper allocation of developers to allow the development of too many platforms. In total, they worked on 5 platforms, while Treyarch handled an additional platform, which was the Wii U. From the history Infinity Ward has for developing on Nintendo platforms, which has not been significant in recent years, the question of whether or not they will allocate the proper number of programmers to form a new sub-development team for the Wii U remains to be seen. Morally, I believe that Infinity Ward should handle their own product, and it should not be left up to Treyarch to aid them to this degree. With that in mind, I wondered how far the outsourcing of development will go. With this iteration of Call of Duty being a peculiar case, being the final console transitional year, development of additional platforms will be a given as the introduced platforms will be supported in addition to the pre-existing platforms. My worry is how this will work in the future given that life is still strong on previous generation platforms, like the PS3, 360, and even the Wii to some extent. In terms of business practice, because there exists more platforms, the audience for potential buyers becomes larger with the more versions developed. With that stated, it is not abnormal to assume that Treyarch's next Call of Duty title will be a title that supports both 'next-generation' and 'last-generation' platforms. Unless management would like to force gamers to upgrade their platforms, the next Call of Duty title will most definitely be on 6 platforms, this is of course assuming Wii U development is not dropped. The troubles exist not for Treyarch, but for the Infinity Ward side of the argument for their next Call of Duty title.

Skipping over Treyarch's next call to duty, Infinity Ward's next go is the question- as by then it will be a matter of whether or not to put the game on more platforms for a greater profit or to stick to the newer generation of platforms released this past, and current, year. In eithercase it would be difficult to question whether or not Wii U development would be outsourced to Treyarch again. If it is, then the Nintendo platform development team at Treyarch will be unable to work for the full amount of time supporting the title as they must then work on their own next, upcoming, title and the cycle of post-release game support will finish likely incomplete. If it doesn't happen, then a result not seen yet will occur, and by then my guess would be as good as anyone's as to how it would play out. Post release support for each title only lasts a few months on the Nintendo version while it spans much longer on other platforms' versions. This difference in time makes a clear difference as to what can be fixed and what cannot be fixed, and is seemingly my main reason for distrust of the brand on the Nintendo platforms.

The balancing of the Call of Duty franchise's ecosystem is difficult, but can be accomplished. It is an entirely different matter to discuss consumer interactions with the series, the pricing of the series, and among other matters, but displeasure with the series for Nintendo platform owners is quite clear due to allocation issues. Support finishes after several months and, due to the current ecosystem of the franchise support for fixes, or in-game issues, such as 'boosting' are left unresolved. Many4 players may not mind it, but to the degree it is seen on the Nintendo platform versions is disappointing in comparison to the other versions. To sacrifice one thing for another should not be a choice in 'fairness' in keeping up with the other versions. Sales of this particular version may be impacted due to lesser support in comparison to another. Among multi-console owners, the choice of buying a version of a game may be left up due to the significance in friends on that particular platform, or due to feature-set. While some features may be tempting, temptation also lies in 'fairness'5 of treatment. The revelation of 'fairness' will determine what version of a game will be picked up by the consumer. If all are similar, and do not have any exclusions, for those who own multiple platforms it will be determined by what features, and friends, these people have on which platforms.

As a consumer, I cannot say I haven't gotten my payment's worth from buying the Call of Duty titles. I have spent much time playing them, and have both had equally bad and good times playing. The issue is of paying in the beginning for issues with the game(s), and whether or not they have been fixed. To the customers who do spend so much time playing these games (the time being literally days of ones' life) I find it also upsetting that the fairness of treatment differs so much in terms of support. I find the ability to talk with developers to be a major plus, and excellent, as a consumer does not need to go through Activision support, and be given (possible) incorrect information. However, this is something I believe is only possible due to the size of the Nintendo platform demographic in the Call of Duty franchise, and while it is a nice gesture and is not mandatory, i would appreciate to see better balancing in the Call of Duty ecosystem. Included in this scope is downloadable content.

I personally do not see the incentive to buying downloadable content in terms of map packs; however, for other downloadable items there is incentive if it does not readily impact the game such as camouflages and pre order bonuses6. These items do not directly change the game; however, the incentive to change the game according to the player's personal choices is something that should be available as an option. On the grounds of pre-order bonuses, they should be readily available to all platforms if available for the majority of platforms7. Leaving a platform out brings less incentive to buy a specific version, and can thus steer people away from potential sales on a specific platform. This is due to consumers looking for equality when taking into account what they wish to buy. The matter of 'map packs' is simply math, and the segregation of the player-base, especially a player-base as small as the Wii U's for the Call of Duty franchise. While the Wii is architecturally inferior to the Wii U, its player-base flourishes in comparison, and would have likely been better for 'map packs'.

Suggesting fixes to these issues is not within my domain; however, it is not to say that i have not contemplated and analyzed methods for improving the ecosystem, and potential solutions to issues i deem 'problematic'. With this in mind, i would like to conclude this report.

At the end of the day, I can look at this and wonder why i should continue to bring support for development in a franchise that, while does seemingly care for the consumers, but at the same time has continued to fall in-line with its self over and over again. It lives up to what the world sees as 'Russian history', and the reoccurring issues that plagued Russia for hundreds of years. While change would be good, one thought provoking question “how long will this continue?” should be taken seriously. For as long as the Call of Duty franchise has continued to sell well, there will come a time where it will be unable to properly innovate due to its own parameters for development, and at that point a new turn will have to be made. Whether or not the brand name “Call of Duty” is to be retired has yet to be seen, but if that time is not far off, then it isn't out of place to say that changes are useless when it will not have any meaningful effect later down the road.

In conclusion, I have now brought forth my arguments. I have presented them accordingly, as subjective in nature as they are, and presumably wish for this to be read and 'seen' as something of a critical analysis and thought provoking paper. It is up to management and the developers to make the decisions best fit to aid their developer environment; to inquire the proper costs, to spend and the profits made that will replenish these expenditures. With all of this stated, I thank you very much for reading, and hearing my thoughts.

Works Cited

Makuch, Eddie. "No Battlefield 4 on Wii U - GameSpot." No Battlefield 4 on Wii U. GameSpot, 27 Mar. 2013. Web. 15 Nov. 2013.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

1:In addition to the PS3 titles i bought, i had also purchased “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Immobilized” at some point before buying the PS3; however, i did not mention it as i am unable to recall a year of purchase.

2:At this time, i noticed that between the Call of Duty games there was a odd repetition in cut-off support times between titles. Infinity Ward ported titles had less support than Treyarch developed titles

3:Another incentive i'm sure exists is that they also enjoy it. If they didn't enjoy it, but still got paid, then they would have quit doing it a while ago.

4The word “many” should not be taken as a majority, or seen as a majority within the playerbase, but a significant portion who would still continue playing the games nonetheless

5'fairness' as defined by keeping all versions of the game similar without excluding particular things that could still be achieved on all platforms.

6As a personal stance, i view the price of camos for Call of Duty Black Ops 2 to be a rip-off in the face of 99 cent applications and more useful items that i could buy for the same price that was given.

7Activision has not previously released any of their published games on the Nintendo eShop. Clearly this is a business decision, and is not within my report's scope to decide for them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------

*I was unable to locate source articles at the time of writing this; This was written before the PS4 and Xbox One were released.

**Infinity Ward Says No to the Wii | The Escapist , and among other sources.

***Why Did L.A. Noire Take Seven Years to Make? - IGN

• Re: My Report: Why I Did Not Buy Call of Duty Ghosts (Wii U)

Tried reading a single paragraph. I can't read anymore. It's just too much. Maybe just list the fine points. Don't worry not getting Ghosts, I'll give you mine. It's garbage anyway.

TLDR xD

Was a good read. I myself can't believe I have been captivated by the series, even with the obvious problems since MW:R, Black Ops 1's HORRIBLE Host connection, the few patches we get and 0 DLC. But I have, I was really disappointed by Black Ops 2, the Wiimote controls were awful. The controls in Ghosts feel closer to past Wii Experiences, which is a good thing for me so I am happy with my purchase.

For the most part I want to do my part as a youtuber, and promote the game and get more of us on WiiU, but I have to say, I am in love with this game <3

WiimotesRus02

Dazan3O3 wrote:

For the most part I want to do my part as a youtuber, and promote the game and get more of us on WiiU

But for most people its going to be a horrible experience, which could backfire on you as a youtuber, but that's up to you. I wouldn't do it myself,, I wouldn't want to do that to anyone. And I certainly wouldn't want to help line the pockets of the makers of an unfinished game..

barolb

I tried to boost Wii remote sniping, and to be frank i think it ended in failure. I would say it's up to you if you want to peruse, but i would personally focus on improving the numbers of people online daily rather than numbers as a whole. This is something i would think Treyarch could do rather than it be up to those who do YouTube. It may not be 'their' game, but i do think that some discussion between them and Infinity Ward can happen on doing the select game mode double XP. Doing that will draw more people into the game, at least i would like to believe that is a possibility.

Alot of us have been captivated by the series, and for it to go unnoticed is kind of hilarious, IMO. We play it, complain about it, buy the next game and rinse and repeat, and yet we still don't show our happiness with the game outside of the first few hours or days of playing. Only during that time are we praising it and saying "it's good" and whatnot.

Glad you thought it was a good read I still think i could have written more to make it a bit more fleshed out, but with the amount of time i put into it, and what i discussed, i'd say it's ok as being an unofficial non job dependent type report

I read it  and your exactly right  because of the lack of support/ support endafter so and so months  alot of people get fed up and stop playing and some wont even pick up the next game because how bad this had been for lag issues and whatnot.

Do you have to write a 5 page essay to justify the reason why you're not getting a $59 game? Most COD gamers already got this game on launch (even multiple copies of it for other platforms). It got problems like any console versions but Wii U gamers seem to make such a big deal on lag issues when the other console versions have it too.

Ryumaou

WiiU gamers here on these forums are a bit more sensitive about lag issues because a good chunk of 'em came from the Wii where this issue wasn't as present as on the other platforms. Not because the Wii games had "better" lag but because things like unstable framerate and the absence of KillCams made it harder to notice. So you can say the other forum communities here are more used to this issue and even there you will find lots of complaints about this. And as I also don't really like complaining, I may add: I'm really enjoying this game. :)

barolb

Well, both yes and no. Would anyone care besides the developers? Not really. Some internet friends and youtube friends would care, but besides that the majority of people would not see it as being something to write intensively about.

This isn't about lag. Actually, i never bothered to even mention many in-game problems besides the one that i cared about: Wii Remote sniping. No mention of lag or anything else besides that. The main issue i had is with Wii U support stopping 5-6 months BEFORE the other platforms in Black Ops 2. That's not something that others who play solely on other platforms can relate to so easily and that is not a problem that exists on other platforms. Ghosts will suffer the same fate undoubtedly, and it's truly unfortunate.

This post isn't a crack down on just multiplayer.

If I worked for Treyacrh and was a CEO in the developer team. I'd get rid of all the BS like I.E.D.'s,  Nerf sniper rifles since they are a 1 shot and with QS STILL BEING IN THE GAME...it makes it even more powerful, fix the lag issue, open up the dedicated servers, make smaller maps, get rid of that scope attachment that lets you see people in bright white. People use that attachment and kill me across the map, and I can't see them at all from my point of view. Maybe add a marksman perk to see enemy names from a far distance. Get rid of the insta-deaths, etc. MW3 could have been the best game if it wasnt for deathstreaks, and akimbo machine pistols. BO2 could have been great w/o the OP sniper rifles, TGT Finders, etc. Can't they make a new cod game, w/o bull**** it's like they want to make bad players good. Every year they add something in the game to get people pissed off. Alotta previous CoD games could've been perfect if the BS was taken out. Don't they ever learn from their mistakes?

The shitty support is what pisses me off the most about COD. Activision is too cheap to fix the flaws and make a quality game. I play BO1 all the time now and theres hackers everywhere, and the leaderboards are full of hackers and glitchers. Ive said this in the past, but they need to have 1 person whos job it is to check the leaderboards every day and delete the hackers. And that's not even getting into the glitches... they never patch the glitches once the new game comes out (probably to get more people to buy it). Just look at PS3 and PC, its impossible to play Mob of the Dead on BO2 because of a huge glitch that freezes the game, and there will likely never be a patch for it. Why? Activison is too cheap and lazy.

Rant over

VanitasZD

TL;DR.

Look, kid, no one cares about why you didn't get Ghosts. Your problems are literally every single Wii U player's problems. You aren't special.

That being said, my point isn't to be condescending. My point is that Activision already knows this. Do you think Bobby Kotick gives a damn about the Wii U? About conning so many folk out of their cash for a measly four maps every few months? The answer put bluntly is a resounding hell no he doesn't. From a near-direct quote from the greedy monster, Kotick doesn't pick up games that "don't have the potential to be exploited every year on every platform with clear sequel potential and have the potential to become $100 million dollar franchises. ... I think, generally, our strategy has been to focus... on the products that have those attributes and characteristics, the products that we know [that] if we release them today, we'll be working on them 10 years from now." (http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/11/05/why-activision-let-go-of-ghostbusters- and-50-cent-games/)

Again. Listing these complaints is futile. Activision - Kotick, really - does not give a god-damn about the problems of CoD. As long as it sells on the MicroSoNintendo XStationU w/a 7660G, they will continue to release garbage after garbage. That is how Kotick sees the world - in a business perspective, where what makes money is good and what doesn't is bad. There is no fairness in the business world; only what sells and what doesn't.

Now, I am not trying to blacklist the good folk of Treyarch. People like A_TREY_U are genuinely good people. However, the higherups of Activision will never allow CoD to get on a /quality/ level like, say, The Legend of Zelda or Super Mario.

I'm sorry. If you don't like CoD, don't buy it. It will never improve from this sorry state it is in. If you don't want to spend $60 every year, you can wait for those price drops; play different games; find new hobby; advance in your real life. I've already moved on from CoD; that is, I don't spend $60/year hoping that maybe the Great Lord above decreed that Activision would finally treat Nintendo correctly (or, rather, fairly according to the consumers; once again there is no 'fairness' in the business world).

Once more: if you don't like CoD, don't buy it. It will never improve from this sorry state.

barolb

Look, kid, no one cares about why you didn't get Ghosts. Your problems are literally every single Wii U player's problems. You aren't special.

This was originally written for A_Trey_U and Dazran. The fact that i'm posting it here makes it easier to access for both of them. That's your opinion. I can care less if you feel this way as it was not intended for you. If i wanted to, i could have pm'ed a mod and told them i was going to post this, and then request the thread to be locked then after, but i decided not to so i could hear other peoples' opinions, and their thoughts on the paper its self.  If you want to denounce someone as being special, you should wait until they claim it or imply it A_Trey_U agreed to read the paper, which got me to push forward on writing it. Tell me, if you had the chance to present something like this to a developer and had a guarantee that they would read it, would you not take up on such a chance?

Again. Listing these complaints is futile. Activision - Kotick, really - does not give a god-damn about the problems of CoD

That's not really the point of having posted this. But to make note: This is pretty obvious.

I'm not ignorant of business or business practices. My dad, my grandfather and my great grandfather ran their own businesses (all different from eachother!) so i really can't be ignorant of such a thing. If management reads this and makes a or many changes to how things go, then that would be like a bonus on top of my intent of writing this.

Once more: if you don't like CoD, don't buy it. It will never improve from this sorry state.

Thanks, but i'm already aware.

WiimotesRus02

VanitasZD wrote:

TL;DR.

Look, kid, no one cares about why you didn't get Ghosts.

Don't even try and speak for me. I want to see stuff like this so others know my grief isn't just me or my internet set up as some people keep trying to point out..

SinCaraxx

This was a good read and good points were made.

like2nap03

Good read. 

I can't help but think though that taking an extra year of dev time, while also adding in dedicated servers, could only make the game sell more.  Give this game more support and make it great.  When they stop working on it, they should take 2 years to make the next one.  Let us play the great game they worked so hard to patch for another year while they make the next one perfect.  Or at least close to it.  Then they can focus on dedicated servers, lag, glitches, weapon balance, way ahead of time.  using the time to kill as a factor in balance.  The visibility of IED's or just any other little thing that you can think of.  Imagine how much better these game would be if they came out ever two years instead of one.  I would gladly wait for that and pop down $60 on a preorder.  Plus the Wii U has too many good games coming out now.  I have to question whether I can afford them all and then try to find time to play them.  It's crazy.  Please make me wait another year before a new COD. 

With such low sales number on numerous third party WiiU game. Including Splinter Cell, Batman, Assassin's Creed, Need for Speed and now Call of Duty.

http://prntscr.com/27oqsm

http://prntscr.com/27orws

http://prntscr.com/27os54

http://prntscr.com/27osd9

I see nothing from the console but a deathwish. Maybe EA was a little bit arrogant by telling poor excuses and removing every game from release for the WiiU, but I have to admit that they made a good call. Such low numbers aren't profitable at all.

It isn't because the console sucks, it's because of a major social problem. An identity crisis...

> People kept saying that the Wii is a console for kids, there's no good CoD players in there and the graphic sucks

> Of course support was missing on many games. Many people were cheating online

> On top of that, Nintendo dropped support of the Wii in 2011 for the 3DS. The only great game left for 2011/2012 was Zelda Skyward Sword.

> People still can't make the difference between the Wii and a WiiU

The success of the last gen consoles affects the new ones. The Wii went very strong for 4 years in a row, in 2011 and 2012, the console ended with very poor sales. Meanwhile, the PS3 and 360 had a weak start but they both finished the generation very very strong because of extended support. As we can all see. the PS4 and Xbox One are selling like monsters.

I predict Ghosts to be the last CoD on WiiU. To please wiimote users, to add support for the psmove on the PS3/PS4. Because right now with only 40k sold and being unable to play all the multiplayer modes I want. I call for migration.

WiimotesRus02

After I finish with ghosts I won't be migrating anywhere. I'm giving up gaming altogether. It takes up too much valuable time, and to be honest I think the gaming industry is rife with loopholes which enables them to sell rubbish and make billions in the process. There is something fundamentally wrong with that, and I can't support it..

bughunt

I think this would be the appropriate thread for this.  I also think that what you said makes yours the appropriate post to reply to with it.

Remember those days when you could, I don't know, buy something and it works out of the box?  Or you bought something and you got ALL of it?  Remember those even rarer days in history where you bought something and got BOTH of these?

I'm not pointing any fingers at any developer.  I personally feel that it is the suits higher up the chain of command that are getting too greedy and wanting to push out a half-baked product...along with DLC that is announced before the game is even released (hell, one example is Killzone where DLC was announced before the PS4 was even released) that uses content that should have been in the core game....with micro-transactions that require real money in order "unlock" in-game content that they didn't rip out for DLC.  Etc, etc, etc...

barolb

As long as people see the Nintendo consoles as being kiddy, it will forever be labeled like that. Kind of sad. We ended up talking about "labels" in psychology, and how they both benefit and hurt people. By giving someone a label, like "idiot", the person will think of themselves as being an idiot whom is unable to bypass the constraint they were given by being told they were an idiot: They unintentionally limit themselves to being an 'idiot' when they aren't. Likewise, if a person was told they were a 'genius', then they will try harder and do better on tests and the likes. This is because they were given the label of 'genius'.

In turn, this is how it is with the consoles too. People perceive the Nintendo consoles to being kiddy, and this point is consistently reiterated by people because they believe it. Then, and including, the other consoles are see as being more 'hardcore' for the 'hardcore gamers'. This brings in a belief and label that the people who own the other platforms are 'hardcore gamers', and are not associated with the 'kiddy' or 'casual' side of gaming. That is a problem that Nintendo can fix, but they also can't fix. They can make themselves look better, but then can't at the same time as there will be this constant belief that their consoles are 'kiddy' consoles, as labeled by those who aren't convinced, and if those people hold any type of power, so to speak, then the followers will follow.

IMO, because alot of the people, who are deemed figureheads in the general Call of Duty scene on YouTube, not acknowledging the existence of Nintendo consoles as being 'real' consoles, the community also follows that line of thinking too. They have influence, and the lack and presence of mentioning the Wii U, of CoD, ends up backfiring and causing a "well, it's not hardcore enough for us", which is an idiot statement in its self. I know Onlyusemeblade, Keemstar and TmarTN talked about the Wii U at one point, but nothing really from any other major figureheads, apart from those whom are in this selective version's community like iConboy, Dazran, MrHuntinNoobs, etc.

The overall situation is just really sad.

If that were true, then the GCN going for $99 before the Wii launching, and its abysmal sales compared to he other platforms, should have made the Wii terrible at first. I won't say it's a key factor. It can't be a key factor, but it does raise a bar of caution from some consumers for sure. Because of the Wii U's lackluster first year, they have to now make up for it by bringing in heavy hitter games in order to bring in the crowd as the crowd sees the console as being a red flag in terms of support. Likewise, i don't think all third party publishers have done their part. I think Ubisoft did a great job (minus the Rayman Legends fiasco) . Activision has mostly done their part, but it is pretty clear that they could do a better (giving the go-ahead for Call of Duty Elite, going on eshop, etc). EA went 100% jerk towards Nintendo and even Cancelled Crysis 3 Wii U and stopped a Battlefield game coming to the platform too Its kind of sad since i tried Battlefield 4 and i kind of like it

I won't disagree. Infinity Ward seemingly doesn't have any part in Nintendo Call of Duty development, so it's Treyarch's call to continue or drop it.

SinCaraxx

those numbers are slightly off and that statement is opinionated.

GHOSTED

u could have just said I'm fed up with A, B, and C. instead of the carpel tunnel surgery u now need.

He wanted some drama I guess.

barolb

Ghosted, that's like saying "i dont like you but i wont explain why". Sure, I could have done it more concise, but what point would it bring if I gave Dazran and A_Trey_U a 1 paragraph long response? This goes for especially after I said i'd write 5 pages worth.

The time I have ro have surgery for that will be because of texting on my phone.

now, southpaw: If you even read the opening before the report, then you would know that this is what I was talking about in terms of fear of backlash for this. It doesn't concern anyone but the parties involved, true. Indeed, i did post this here publically for all to see. That is why I accept your criticism.  However,  If you want to say it was a waste of time writing this then go ahead and go there before you start throwing accusations.

Unlike a lot of people, I don't mind writing out long winded responses. I don't like reading and qriting much, personally, but if the situation ever arises then I'm more than happy to do so.

Still more drama. Go on, I'm listening...