36 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2013 9:27 PM by like2nap03 RSS

So how do you tell when you're the host?

like2nap03

There's no connection indicators.  The countdown always starts in the same place.  So, how do you tell when you're host?  Does anyone know? 

I've heard you get framerate drops on maps like Sovereign (if that's how  you spell it) when you're host and I get framerate drops on that map all the time.  Does that map just not run smooth? Or am I hosting every match?  I can't tell.

Anyone have the answer?  A_Trey_U?  Bobby?  M4GNUM?  Padiego?  Mace? Fissure? Pwnsweet?  Jim?  Random new person? Little squeaker that said I was probably a little kid?  (man I wish I had my mic on...)

• Re: So how do you tell when you're the host?
          Spacious_Fissure

I've had some games where the count down started around 20 before I select my class but other times if I don't select my class it's already at counting down from 15.

From my experience the games I had been beasting in going like 50-8 with 8+ caps and still losing because of my of my team. I'd leave those games from frustration with my team. The host migration would start right before I was back at the main menu.

I talk with people who play 8s/competitive (I don't play anymore since IW games are garbo for comp) they say the host has a really strong advantage since they're playing in private matches.

WiimotesRus02

Next time you're on that map and you have frame rate issues, pull out of the game, if you see in the top left of your screen, "searching for new host", then you'll know for sure. That's what happened to me. Yes, I discovered I can be host, me, with my crappy internet and poor set up

Pwnsweet

like2nap03 wrote:

So, how do you tell when you're host?  Does anyone know? 

Easy. Everything you shoot at dies instantly, everyone has slow reaction speed and nobody can hit you.

You can be a host by running a dedicated server using your Wii U & have your friends join you. You can either host & play or just being an spectator (host). You can do this by either running a virtual LAN network using a computer connected to a Wii U using a program such as Hamachi (complicated way) or using the dedicated server feature on Ghosts (simple way). Activision was right - there is dedicated server on Ghosts. We've been duped again.

Pwnsweet

Southpawgamer wrote:

...or using the dedicated server feature on Ghosts (simple way).

I think you're the only one that knows how to do this. Care to explain?

First, it's a no win situation to argue with Activision that there's no dedicated server on the Wii U or any other platforms as you can run a dedicated server yourself using your platform of choice. I actually tested running a purely dedicated Ghosts server this afternoon on my second Wii U. If you want to you can run a dedicated Ghosts server on your Wii U 24/7 if you have a second Wii U or temporarily if you wanna host & play & only have one Wii U.

The simplest way of running a dedicated server on Wii U is to host it using a Wii U using the built in Ghost dedicated server host feature. The disadvantages of this are... 1) Only those gamers on your friends' list can join, 2) You need another Wii U to host it 24/7. If you need to change host type (pure hosting, host & play, spectator) or play another game then you have to turn off the dedicated server &/or close the game.

The complicated way of running a dedicated server on Wii U is through a virtual LAN network. You need a computer have to be a to do this. It doesn't have to be a powerful computer to do this. The disadvantage of this is... any gamers can join but you need to send them an envite to join in your virtual LAN network so besides you they also must run the same virtual LAN software on their PCs as yours to join. I can tell you the step by step instructions on how to do this but I'm not going to cuz it's a complicated process Y why go that route when you can do it the simple way.

Hunter_80

You wrong I'm always the host because my connection is around 9.500 kb or more than 8.000 kbs is true I kill faster but I dye more faster than anyone because exist the lag compensation

BobbyMcGee

this is how it ALWAYS Is in zombies, and im 99% sure multi on both titles works the same way...when you pull host your entire team will pop up on top right corner just like a killfeed during the countdown. it will tell you all those players are "connected". i use to search on best in zombs so i would pull host to avoid the failed migrations which blew because youd either lose 30 grand or literally hours worth of time if host raged. so few zombs players, searching on best would guarantee id pull host due to the 100 ping to host rule. every single time i pull host it will show my id and the other three party members in the same way, expcept the feed is on the bottom left in zombs. multi for blops2 was the same way, cant see why this would be different.

i pulled host last night. went 24-3 one match, 12-12 the next. i really dont think it matters so long as the party is all in the same region. its when players from across the ocean pull host things fall apart...

edit - trey can you please confirm this?

M4GNUM

BobbyMcGee wrote:

this is how it ALWAYS Is in zombies, and im 99% sure multi on both titles works the same way...when you pull host your entire team will pop up on top right corner just like a killfeed during the countdown. it will tell you all those players are "connected".

I've noticed this, but never thought about it - but I think you're on to something. Next time I see that I'll back out and see if it causes a host migration.

like2nap03

BobbyMcGee wrote:

this is how it ALWAYS Is in zombies, and im 99% sure multi on both titles works the same way...when you pull host your entire team will pop up on top right corner just like a killfeed during the countdown. it will tell you all those players are "connected". i use to search on best in zombs so i would pull host to avoid the failed migrations which blew because youd either lose 30 grand or literally hours worth of time if host raged. so few zombs players, searching on best would guarantee id pull host due to the 100 ping to host rule. every single time i pull host it will show my id and the other three party members in the same way, expcept the feed is on the bottom left in zombs. multi for blops2 was the same way, cant see why this would be different.

i pulled host last night. went 24-3 one match, 12-12 the next. i really dont think it matters so long as the party is all in the same region. its when players from across the ocean pull host things fall apart...

edit - trey can you please confirm this?

Top RIGHT corner.  Oh. I was looking left like in Black Ops 2.  I keep looking left for the kill feed too.  I keep forgetting it's on the right.

BobbyMcGee

idk about the framerate drops. maybe something to do with all the moving machinery and railcars and whatnot? that would be my guess...

like2nap03

BobbyMcGee wrote:

idk about the framerate drops. maybe something to do with all the moving machinery and railcars and whatnot? that would be my guess...

Only happens when I ADS and try to move the cursor.  I'll have to pay attention to see if it does it all them time, or only in this  "i'm the host" scenario that you described above. 

Always have to remember when hosting - check your connection first. A non-shared connection (ex: dsl, etc.) seems to work in the past but this days shared connection (ex: cable, etc.) seems to work best (typically has a much higher service speed plan) as cable network traffic is less congested as more & more cable broadband network stations provide enough bandwidth on a shared network. Also check if you have bandwidth caps. If you use up the maximum monthly bandwidth limit your internet provider will make you pay extra or cut your internet service temporarily.

BobbyMcGee

i dont think this is relavent anymore. hope im right...

At it's current P2P host state, the Ghosts host migration doesn't always come out right. It's hit-or-miss. Sometimes the host migrates to the gamers with not so stable connection that's why you'll get this lag &/or latency problems. If the host logs off &/or goes offline on his game then you'll get migrated to a different host or sometimes you'll get switched to a different P2P host server. This is a problem with P2P. If you have a dedicated server that has a very stable connection then you'll be fine even if the one hosting doesn't have the fastest speed out there. I've hosted multiple game servers in the past at home even at lower speed as long as the connection is stable then it's fine. If you have a symetrical internet connection (the same downlink/uplink speed) it's the best.

Ryumaou

It's quit hard to tell in this game. My guess is that it is a good sign if your countdown timer starts at 25. (and jumps to 15) After todays 'Server change' hotfix my timer always started at 50 though.

like2nap03

Well, I'll just take what y'all said and back out of some matches and see which scenarios show that I'm host.   Thanks for the replies.  Hope we did get the dedis.  That would be nice.

like2nap03

Well if anyone comes up with a definitive answer, then please let me know.  Although if dedis were turned on I guess I won't be host.  If I even was.  I don't know.  The game has been running well, and the countdown has been starting at 25 (when I paid attention at least), but it's not like I have some kind of god mode going on.  My score is just closer to what I would normally expect given that I'm still learning the game.

Padiego

If you're going 60-4 while everyone else is barely going positive, then yes, you are the host.

GamebroCrazy

Nope... I usually know when I am host when people in the lobby say they are lagging and I'm not... that's when I go "F***, sorry everyone XD"

BobbyMcGee

just pulled host 3 more times in the past 10-15 games. clock started at 50, showed my whole team connected on the top right, then the clock immediately went to 15 and the countdown began. again i noticed ZERO difference in the connection or my scores while hosting. none at all.