43 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2013 9:23 PM by nuttin2say RSS

So if it's not me ?

Keepmequite

I see many thread on here about the poor game quality due to lagging and how people feel there like a second behind others. And 99% of the time the same old faces post that its the person fault because there internet isn't set up correct or there router isn't configured for that COD title, Bla bla bal. And I have to be willing to admit that this can of course be the case in some of those situations. I am one of those experiencing terrible lag since the second patch. So even though I know some stuff about computers and my set up, it's still possible that something on my end could be at fault.

So I paid for my service provider to send out an engineer to check my line, all my wired Ethernet connections and to check my overall setup.  So the engineer checked my line at the exchange (I of course only have his word for that) did line tests at my home. He checked all the wired Ethernet boxes and replaced my router with the most modern version and opened the necessary posts for COD. He checked all my system settings and even thought he told me having my DZM open to my Xbox was a possible security risks, he understood that I get a better game with it enabled. He spent 2 hours at my place, even watched me play COD for 10 minutes to see what I was experiencing.

Every test came back fine, there was no noise on the line at all, all my Ethernet boxes, especially the one I use for my Xbox worked perfect. The only negative thing he said was about my DZM. He actually stated even if I moved next to the exchange (only 6 blocks away) I wouldn't get a better connection and that there is no reason he could find at my home address why I was experiences what he saw in the game.

Just because IW / Activison legally cover themselves by selling this game as a single player with multi player an added bonus they do not guarantee. They know as well as the gaming community the vast majority of people purchase a COD title for the online feature and many never even play the single player. Stop hiding behind your bias TOC and FIX what is possible one of the worse BS matchmaking systems ever conceived to play a game.

• Re: So if it's not me ?
          Slopat

I have been having similar issues. After much tech support from my ISP it turns out my pc was killing my connection, despite being turned off. Unplugging my pc from my router has fixed my problem, at least for the time being. Not saying its your issue, but maybe try it... You can also connect your xbox directly to your modem if you are hardwired.

rankismet

FYI... it's DMZ.

Are you running a static IP?

Have you changed your DNS?

Do you have some form of QoS set up?

Do you have multiple XBOX's?

The average cable guy knows enough to set up your network. Very few know how to optimize it for gaming.

belly120

yes but don't secure the ip on your xbox, secure it on your router.  i set up a manual IP and dns on my xbox and it forced my NAT to moderate.  leaving that automatic and setting a dedicated IP on my router for my xbox sorted it and kept my NAT open, i could then port forward to its specific IP no problem   

rankismet

belly120 wrote:

yes but don't secure the ip on your xbox, secure it on your router.  i set up a manual IP and dns on my xbox and it forced my NAT to moderate.  leaving that automatic and setting a dedicated IP on my router for my xbox sorted it and kept my NAT open, i could then port forward to its specific IP no problem  

You have to set a static IP on the XBOX. else you have to change the IP address on the ports you are forwarding.

When set up properly, the NAT will open and you do not have to constantly adjust the IP for the ports.

Keepmequite

This Engineer wasn't some one that just installs broadband. It's a service I have access too due to my business broadband. I have to pay for a engineer to come out but get free tec support on the phone. I set up my router and net work by following Activisions guild lines and have always had an open NAT.

MW3 worked great for me but BO2 was terrible. The reason I bought ghosts is because I get better connections and play with IW for reasons past my understanding. I had a go on MW3 this afternoon and considering the router isn't even set up for it, the NAT was still open and I won 3 of the 5 FFA games. I'm lucky if I go positive in ghosts.

tyrsson_dev

I can tell you, its not all on your end. I am a software engineer and work with networking on a much larger scale than the local NAT on a regular basis. My network is configured and optimized and my game play still lags consistently on a 30 meg connection. You still have to consider the network latency between you and the server, how many hop's have to be made, and what network their servers are in. There is many devices between you and the servers that are being used, any of them can cause packet loss etc etc, all of which would cause an increase in the perceived lag or a dropped connection. And I still get host migrations.

rankismet

Keepmequite wrote:

This Engineer wasn't some one that just installs broadband. It's a service I have access too due to my business broadband. I have to pay for a engineer to come out but get free tec support on the phone. I set up my router and net work by following Activisions guild lines and have always had an open NAT.

MW3 worked great for me but BO2 was terrible. The reason I bought ghosts is because I get better connections and play with IW for reasons past my understanding. I had a go on MW3 this afternoon and considering the router isn't even set up for it, the NAT was still open and I won 3 of the 5 FFA games. I'm lucky if I go positive in ghosts.

Cool.

My brother in-law installs internet for Comcast and is absolute witch with network configuration... he's the rarity.

BO2 for me was also terrible... to the point where it would say my NAT was open when it wasn't. With Ghosts, I don't have the same issues. Especially on the XBONE.

Even if the router is set up correct... things have to be right on the console.

Hardwired.

Static IP (matching the what IP is set for the forwarded ports).

Solid DNS (try 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4)

belly120

oh and yes the games connections are awful and the game is laggy, bad match making unless you believe the COD shareholders on these forums that would tell you your own eyes ears and mind are wrong along with the kill cams and you need to ignore all the horrendous BS as its not real and everything is fine lol  

zvers

I followed Activisions recommendations for my network set up from there website back during BO1. I experienced the BS through BO2, of course, not ALL the time. I just got an xone a few weeks ago and I changed absolutley nothing. My systems were never in a DMX either but my NAT's have always been open since I first set it up. Do I get some BS lag? Of course I get some but nothing even close to what it was in previous installments.

Question: You said above that they "replaced" your router. Why would you use there router? I'm using my ISP's modem from like 4 years ago but my net gear router is a few years old. I play with a wired connection too (I'm in the US). Normally, you buy your own router with cable internet. At least that's the impression I am under. They just provide the modem.

EDIT: This was directed at the discussion creator, my bad.

TH3_IT

Well written and yes, I'm one of the people experiencing the same issue.

Upon release the game ran smooth and I LOVED IT!!!

After the late November update, I have the worst online experience now due to lag and chop.  I have been playing Black Ops 2 now and enjoying myself alot again (hadn't played since like May).  Black Ops 2 was my favorite release so far and Ghosts had that topped upon release...but since I cannot enjoy multi-player on it...it will not be #1 for me.

Also, I'm one of those people who buy games solely for the online.  I never play the campaigns or single player modes...not zombies...or anything.

Hope things work out for you and hope they do for me too lol

phxs72

First even if you have everything setup on your end perfectly, if you connect to a host that doesn't then you will experience lag.  That is the hosts fault and there is nothing that you can do about it other than to move on to a new lobby.  Second if you have your ports forwarded then DMZ isn't doing anything.  Third if you haven't setup a static IP for your console then port forwarding at some point is going to screw you over because your console IP address can and will change if it is not setup as static.  When your console IP address changes you will have effectively cut yourself off from the ports that you needed open to play.  Lastly, are you able to kill people quickly?  If you are then you are not lagging, the hit detection in Ghosts is quite good.  So good in fact that people will often think that they are lagging because they die so quickly but they ignore that they are also killing quickly.  The street works both ways.  If, however, you find yourself shooting people in the back all the time in every match and not being able to kill them then you are lagging and it's most likely a setup problem on your end.  Your line quality may be fine but your setup isn't.  Good luck figuring out what to do next.  Like so many things in life, the same problem can be caused by a myriad of issues.  Narrowing down which one is causing your issues is likely to be a whole lot of trial and error unless you just happen to get really lucky.

Interesting take on the matter but one question.....how is it I experience such terrible lag in Ghosts but when I throw in BO2 or even MW3 there is barely any lag to speak of? I, too, began lagging terribly after the 12/12 patch and thought it was my system....until I tried another FPS online. I encountered minimal / no lag so I tried a different FPS - same result - minimal/no lag. As soon as I put Ghosts back in and got online in a match - terrible lag. Getting shot AFTER I had already made it around a corner, half of a clip from an SMG in someone's chest (on HC mind you) just to have them single shot kill me with a pistol? Oh yeah - the game said I had NO hitmarkers yet my red dot was focused on the center of the chest.

I have to agree with the OP - there was something in this recent patch that is affecting connectivity - I cannot believe there are that many bad hosts......maybe I'm just unlucky in Ghosts and I keep getting the terrible hosts......I don't know but if it isn't fixed, the game will be next to unplayable for me and I will have to go back to BO2 or MW3......

phxs72

If your problems only surfaced after the patch then you have good reason to suspect it.  Perhaps there is a conflict between it and your particular console.  That would have to be the most frustrating kind of conflict out there because it would also be one of the hardest ones to isolate.  I haven't had any issue with the patch so far.  It plays exactly the same as it did before the patch.  So maybe the patch is causing you problems and maybe not.  It may very well be that your consoles network in your area is doing some maintenance (or more likely needs to do some maintenance) and your connection to them is suffering.  I'm just spit balling here.  Obviously I don't know exactly what is causing the issue or I'd gladly share it with you.  Did you try BO2 and/or MW3 last night to compare or are you basing your situation on memory of past performance?  If you did try them and then went back to Ghosts only to find the problem still there then you are probably correct and the patch has done something that doesn't work well with your situation.  Good luck to you in getting it worked out.  I know how frustrating it can be when your favorite game is lagging too bad to even play it. 

What amazes me is how well MW1, WAW, and MW2 played, then they managed to break it, why?

WAW and BO1 used a different Treyarch engine, in BO2, it started using the Mw3 engine, so that's why the net code feels different, and the gameplay. Cod 4/MW2 were the last games made by the actual real Infinity Ward studio before it left to reform Respawn Ent. Its not a coincidence that the last two games made by the new infinityward, and the other new studios they threw in to work on it (sledgehammer/raven and others), made the games very poor in quality. The talent will never be back at infinity ward, and the cod games on the MW side will be lackluster, as well, now that Treyarch is using the crappy MW3 engine, don't expect their game to be much different, other than more features. I can see why the sales and player counts are so low now.

Keepmequite

My copy of Ghost worked so well before the Patch I was amazed and more than happy. I was even willing to overlook the fact the game is designed around camping. But after he patch I can be defending a flag ect and some one can run into view, see me in the undergrowth in a ghillie suit, target me and kill me all in the same time I can press the trigger. I don't expect perfection from any product unless it advertises it but everything was great until after the second patch.

I have no control over how or what they patch in the game and I shouldn't have to suffer and not be able to play because of stuff out side of my control.

I've done more than the average person does to try and solve any possible problems my end.

NadeGoBoom

The reason the game is smoother in the beginning and on other games is due to player population. Matchmaking with more people can sometimes put you into lobbies with people who have the bandwidth to pull host but havent optimized thier gaming setup. Versus when there is a lower population which means the odds of there being people who have optimized setups is a greater %. As more people get ghosts and people goto next gen  you have to extrapolate and assume that thos good hosts are now on the next gens and there are fewer optimized hosts on old gen.

IW should put it in the box when it ships to go into your router and setup your xbox or ps3 or whatever in QOS as high priority and the ports/ DMZ. This little bit improves the ability of someone to host the game and should eliminate rubberbanding unless they are having local ISP issues.

Latency and lag comp are still issues for everyone but with no ping bars to say hey Im a 2 bar and I shouldnt have been matched into this lobby your going to have to take a second to review how a lobby plays for you and decide to stay or leave.

Matchmaking can screw up your enjoyment of the game especially if your matched with someone far away or is a bad host.

starbuckfrack

You have been told this before many times YOUR connection means nothing when you got 11 other peoples connection factored in. Your connection is based on the HOST.

now the problem at least right now is either the 12/12 patch or the update on Xbox 2 days ago. So all that trouble having a tech come out was still a waste of time.

You hat this game so much why dont you just man up and turn it in.

Keepmequite

"You hat this game so much why dont you just man up and turn it in."

Because you arrogant little man who presumes that because a game I PAID for doesn't work online for me, I should just shut up and basically F OFF.

Well news flash WHY SHOULD I. I have a clan, lots of friends that play Ghosts, money invested in the product and a Wright even if its only ethical or morally correct to be entitled to play the dam game I bought LIKE EVERY ONE ELSE. You may feel it's OK to buy something and then throw it aside if it doesn't do as stated and go waist some more cash on something else that may or may not work. BUT I don't feel that is the right things to do.

The reason the gaming industry is in this "Were fix it later with DLC" BS is because people like you allow gaming companies to take the P.... out of it's consumers. No one forces you to read my threads or to even reply. So do me a favour and DON'T

Excuse starbuck, hes somewhat of a COD sheep, he will just defend everything that is COD, I don't think he knows any better.  People forget that the games industry is held to a rather low standard when it comes to quality control and customer service. I would suggest for anyone who wants to get in on the next gen hype, wait, and use Steam on the PC, at least yiou can return games on their if there is a genuine problem, heck, they even returned everyones money when WARZ came out and wasn't as promised. I wish you luck with the game, it stutters on my system, not sure if its all lag, or its actually something wrong with the code like it is on the PC.

starbuckfrack

Actually you mis understand. You bought a 60 dollar game that works off internet where the INTERNET is unreliable.

If I was still dating and I had a girlfreind that made me hate her everyday then I would have manned up and dumped her on day 2. I have dumped many a girl that wasnt worth the trouble.

So where you going to be 6 months or a year from now when they have ignored everything you posted and the game is still the same ? You didnt buy a broken product, the product still works. It may not have the bells and whistles you want in a video game but it still works.

Every release they use a different matchmaking system but regardless you are going to get some people that love the matchmaking system and some people that dont. You cant please every single gamer out there.

And HClslozs you are so blind that you dont see the full picture. you only see what you want to see. I have complained about many things in this game. But I complain like an adult with only a FEW complaints. not 6 or 7 everyday like the OP was doing as of last week.

The one thing I do though is there is a point when you need to stop complaining and just get on with your life.

Supposedly OP you are a 43 year old vet. When are you going to start acting like one ? If you had taken the family out to a movie and found out you wasted 60 bucks on a 1 1/2 hour movie would you complain for months afterward ? A sane person would have made his one hate post and left. But you just go on and on and on about the same complaints day in and day out and in 6 months when they didnt fix it you still will be crying here.

There are many games in the past where the GAME was actual crap and I turned them in. But this game is not actual crap, the connections are. You can only skate uphill so long before you realize you arent getting anywhere.

Now if you dont want replys from people then stop posting on a public forum.

nuttin2say

Guys, there is something that I became aware of in MW3 but realized I had been doing it in BO1, as well.

When you get into a laggy match? Back out. Don't dashboard, just back out. Once you have backed out, go to the recent players menu and avoid one or two of those players.

Repeat that process until you find a lobby that is not laggy. Once you find a lobby that is not laggy, stay in that lobby as long as you can. The longer the better. If eventually that lobby become laggy, stick with it a match or two. If it is still laggy after 2 or 3 matches, back out - do not dashboard - and avoid one or two of the most recent players to the lobby. Your recent players list can help you identify those players because it shows how long ago it was that you "met" them.

You may have to leave a lot of lobbies without finishing a match ... or you can leave after the match, either way works. But it is a laggy lobby, just leave it. Yes, in the short run this is going to slaughter your WLR. The key, though, is that it is a short term hickey. In the long run, it worked out really well for me because it has become rarer and rarer for me to land into laggy lobbies.

I have my own ideas as to why this seems to work. It may not work for you, I don't know. But for the last several games it has worked for me.

deamonomic

When I encounter a laggy lobby... I lead my targets. Usually works.

nuttin2say

That's too sophisticated for the typical COD player - LOL!

That would entail "playing through the lag." I'll do that if I'm in a lobby that's been pretty good for a while but suddenly gets laggy. The new lag is because of someone new to the lobby and will likely go away. As simple as all that sounds ... most players don't get it.

deamonomic

nuttin2say wrote:

That's too sophisticated for the typical COD player - LOL!

That would entail "playing through the lag." I'll do that if I'm in a lobby that's been pretty good for a while but suddenly gets laggy. The new lag is because of someone new to the lobby and will likely go away. As simple as all that sounds ... most players don't get it.

a great many players dont realize that joining a game causes lag. Leaving a game causes lag. What happens when you have people constantly joining and leaving? Lots of lag.

Clipse70

Been lurking the last few months since I got into BO2 and then got Ghosts on launch. I stunk at start and then last few days really got good, today holy crap it feels like I am so lagged out and delayed I am lucky to get 8 kills without dying 14 times. I almost got goose egged and that HAS NEVER HAPPENED! Even when I stunk. I get so frustrated, cause I just want to enjoy the game on a semi level playing field.

zvers

But the only problem is your definition of 'enjoying' the game. By your definition it means that you go 2+ k/d every game. That just won't happen every game buddy. I think too many people think they will beast every game. Stupid assumption IMO which just leads to frustration.

nicedrewishfela

Connection has been fine for me this game, hit detection seems the best since MW2, in fact ( I found it best in COD4, WaW and MW2... then decreased with the advent of theater, Elite, and other gimmicks).

I again bring up input lag. Switching to a gaming monitor completely changed my experience, which went downhill after buying a large HD Smart TV.

cranium2001

Whew. At first I thought you were breaking up with me when I saw the thread title.

Adeeez100

Only read the first bit, but it's like night and day on both systems. The xbox 1 it's like being in a sack race with your favourite pair of nike's on, on the 360 it's like being in a sack race bare footed and half the bag full of spuds. I tried the 360 version again earlier, oh me dear.

otisman666

So is it lag or is it the game itself?  I can tell you that I experience some wonky situations when playing Squads all by myself and I don't believe any of that has to do with internet lag.

Hey, this game is leaps and bounds better then BOII, MW3 and BO for me in terms of connection issues.  But I think there might be something wrong in terms of the game itself.  I play on older version Xbox (falcon).

Adeeez100

If you compare this game to all the one's you mentioned, on the 360, it runs better than all of those at this time in it's cycle. For me now though it does not run as well as mw3, the other 2 are still a pain in the bootocks. My best guess would be ageing hardware.

iKushtyy

Have you read the Elagaphant?

Maybe fixed my connection.......

Keepmequite

Thank you. I did read it the first time he posted it and I printed it out. The engineer did actually set up the DNS and changed my MTU from 1500. I also turned my DMZ off as he said in the post. Not sure I noticed any difference to be honest, my nat is still open. I'll give it a few more days to see.

Keepmequite

At the end of the day I bought a game I just want to play it with my friends online and have a laugh. I hold a 1.38 KD, so nothing special and considering I don't camp I'm happy to break even in a game. I didn't read on the box that being a Network engineer or holding a degree in computers was required to play online. I like so many others expect to put a game in the Xbox and play it, stupid idea I know.

I think it's about time the law is tightened when it comes to PC and console games. Just because IW hide behind a TOC designed and worded for the single player, when they as well as the players know full well the vast majority of people buy COD for the online. Is in it's self a blatant manipulation of the responsibility a company has towards it's customers. Just because they classify multilayer as a free added bonus does not mean they should not be held responsible for its ability to work as intended for every customer. Yes IW / Activision can not be held responsible for a person internet connection but considering the small amount of up and down bandwidth needed to play online. All of the problems can not be down to the home users.

To hide behind a TOC based on the single player game yet sell  DLC targeted at the online game to make extra revenue. Should in it's self make there TOC a farce that some legal body needs to address. 

nuttin2say

Keepmequite ... Let me ask you something. It's going to seem trivial, but just bear with me.

By some remote chance, did you, at some point, tinker with the controller sensitivity settings and the Target Assist?

Keepmequite

I have played about with the sensitivity of the controller but i do that in every COD and it's perfectly fine in Squads. Target Assist is set to on but thxs for the idea.

nuttin2say

Okay. Well, that's good that TA is on. Can you try playing back at the default setting for an hour or so?

The reason I ask is because I've had a very similar experience to yours in the past. When I brought the sensitivity back down and turned the Target Assist back on, it took care of the lag and weird issues I was having.

Just an idea. I know you're frustrated. Been there myself. More than once.

edit - Check it out. 2 likes to this suggestion. I'm not alone in having experienced this. In fact, had I not experienced it myself, I'd likely say anyone suggesting it was crazy.