34 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2014 5:26 AM by rlbl RSS

Putting something into perspective.

dayoldtamales

Total number of players online on the Xbox 360 as of 8:55 p.m. PST: 147,745.

Total number of those players playing Heavy Duty: 825

Total number of those players playing Hunted: 1,063

Total number of those players playing Mosh Pit: 1,045

Total number of those players playing Clan TDM: 661

Total number of those players playing Clan Objectives: 1,019

Total number of players playing those listed game modes as opposed to the rest of the population: 4,613/147,745

It is quite obvious that no one likes those game modes. Yet they continue to remain on the current playlists while Demolition, Headquarters, Capture the Flag, Hardpoint, and Team Defender never returned. You could replace five unnecessary playlists with five popular ones that would add longevity. Even I have never desired to be in a clan except to get a few titles. Not even Body Count either because it looks like vomit.

On a side note, thank you for continuing to offer S&D in Core but not Hardcore. I for one really enjoy (hate) only being offered S&R in Hardcore when S&D is given to the Core population. That is just 100% unfair and shows a lack of respect to a big chunk of the community. Yes a big chunk. 99,816 players are playing Core right now. 29,398 are playing Hardcore. What is that? About 40%? Do the math.

You guys have clearly demonstrated how easy it is to create and implement game modes into the playlist options. Get off your asses and give the people what they want. Please. Thank you.

Sincerely, a very BORED fan.

• Re: Putting something into perspective.
          dayoldtamales

Bumpity bump bumps.

iivrruummii

I wouldn't mind having a Headquarters/Hardpoint gamemode back.  I just don't think they did the right thing by getting rid of so many gamemodes to replace them with some that hardly anyone is interested in such as Hunted.

gotsomestars

The funniest part is the knee jerk fail that is known as heavy duty. Just a little more proof that listening to the loud minority is a bad idea.

Tygrastic1

I don't think the % of core to hardcore players are as high as you are thinking.  On a "normal" day, it doesn't jump above 20%.  On the PSN, here is the ratio of players right now.

PS4- 25,320

Core: 18,836

Hardcore: 4218

Clan:  84

(math doesn't add up, maybe due to region lock?)

PS3- 70,573

Core:  49,715

Hardcore:  13,983

Clan:  412

(same thing with the math here?)

For the first time in the series, I really started to play the hardcore game modes and can't believe I have missed out on it for all these years.  Anything that bolsters the playlists on hardcore (although I prefer S&R to S&D), you have my vote and I also agree that they dropped the ball with some of the other game modes.  Although, adding S&D to the hardcore playlist would further segment a game that has already been segmented over two additional consoles and matchmaking could pose an issue.  Headquarters has always been one of my favorite modes and I liked hardpoint, I just wish they would have added more of a random factor.  I would enjoy seeing both of these game modes make a comeback.  For me, CTF and demolition are better left in the past.  I prefer Biltz and absolutely hated spawn trapping in demo or being spawn trapped for that matter.  I could also do without Hunted, Infected and Heavy Duty and really don't play much cranked anymore.

dayoldtamales

Those were actual numbers I pulled from the lobby on the Xbox 360 earlier tonight. Core was just shy of 100,000. HC was just shy of 40,000. 40 out of 100 is 40%. And typically it stays in that ratio. The point is Hardcore players make up a good chunk of the community. Yet we only have four modes while Core has... damn near 15? It is ridiculous. Hardcore deserves S&D. The whole community in general deserves better modes. Yes Demolition. People are saying it was all about spawn-trapping but what is Blitz? People don't seem to talk about that too much do they.

Tygrastic1

I pulled my numbers around 10pm Mountain Time.  Like I said, I started playing hardcore a lot with ghosts and the % of the player base doesn't change much on the PSN.  The only time I have played Blitz is when it comes up as a map in Team Tactical so I haven't ever ran into the spawn trap problem with that mode with a 4v4 setup.

Again, I support hardcore getting S&D added to their playlist.  I know I would play it!  My only worry would be segmenting the already reduced playerbase.  As of right now, there are only 1,000 people playing Hardcore S&R out of the 60,000 on the PS3 right now.  If you were to say an even 50/50 split, you would have a lobby of 500 people, total, for each playlist.  Now, this would be more than some of those other modes, but I would worry it could result in poor matchmaking.  The ps4 (guessing XB1 is similar) lobby would be absolutely horrid and have the Search splitting less than 500 people total.

rlbl

Your math is off.

If 100000 are in core and 40000 are in HC, the total is 140000

Yes the ratio of HC to C is 4:10 , but the % of HC players to the total is 28.5% (not 40... 40% assumes the total is 100000, and not 140000)

But ~ 30% of the community being HC players is still a respectable chunk.

Doctorpsylus

Agreed HC is great fun,it was always a no go area in Blops 2 as they are all "pro gamers"

DOM is ace fun,TDM was the most popular for me on blops2 but  DOM in both formats seems the place to be now .

Gettin killed fer a friendly fire is a better way than kicking the player,gettin kicked just makes you swear & never return,hats off fer that one

PSNGamerRednight

you couldn't spawn trap in demo and you can spawn trap in blitz so that should never be an excuse

maccabi

Tygrastic1 wrote:

I don't think the % of core to hardcore players are as high as you are thinking.  On a "normal" day, it doesn't jump above 20%.  On the PSN, here is the ratio of players right now.

yet on bo2 it was around 30-40%

reason less game modes , as much as i don't like hc snd it was a very popular mode,

ricochet is another reason alot of hc players dont like it and its completely broken hardcore

we didnt get new the new modes ghosts has bar hcsnr

Totally agree that every mode should have HC modes also Hunted literally encourages camping when u have to get a weapon

rlbl

your math is wrong, see above.

In Principal you are correct though on a few other points:

- Why have they not rotated more popular (historically) games in and remove the lesser played ones (who knows, maybe they might during DLC time)

- 30% (and not 40%) of the community are HC players (at least at the time you took the numbers), so why are there not more (popular) HC games?

Okay, playing the middle man here.

1. I love Hunted. I don't see why people don't like it.

2. Hardpoint was something that Treyarch made just one game ago. It isn't "tradition" and it most certainly isn't "IW." Sure you may have loved it, but I don't expect IW to take something Treyarch did so recently.

3. Team Defender, while I enjoyed it, was never that popular

4. Heavy Duty was provided to the whiners, ignore them and the mode's existence

5. Are you really going to get upset that S&R is in both core and hard but S&D is only in core? Really? IW probably thought it really unnecessary to have both in both. Speaking of, why don't we have hardcore versions of all core modes? It is redundant and just splits the player base further.

6. IW tried making new game modes. Whether you like them or not, you have to admit there was some creativity and willingness to make them succeed behind them. It's better than having people complain that CoD is the same every game. IW tried and I commend them.

7. And most importantly, you can't have everything

dayoldtamales

To everyone saying my math was off. I added the people playing Clan playlists to the number of Core players. Because the Clan playlists are Core.

My math was correct.

phxs72

I might be missing something and if I am feel free to correct me.  If I read your post correctly, you said that there were 99816 players in Core and 29398 players in HC.  That would mean that there is a total player base of 99816 + 29398 = 129214 in multiplayer.  Taking 29398 and dividing by 129214 would indicate that the percentage of HC players within the community is roughly 23%.  So with just under 1/4 of the community playing HC, it's not much of a wonder that HC doesn't get as much love from a game mode standpoint as Core does.  I'd like to think that it has to do with not fracturing the already small player base any further than necessary.  As you've pointed out these alternative game modes in Core aren't heavily populated.  So one has to think that if they existed in HC then they would be even less populated in HC.  Instead of 1000 players you might only see 250 players in HC for the more popular of these not so popular modes.  I would hate to think just how laggy a playlist with only 250 players in it would be.

Of course now that I've argued to this point, I'm realizing that your point is not to include these playlists in HC but rather to use their slots to provide some more of the more popular Core playlists to HC.  That logic does make some sense as the HC community is certainly much larger than the community that services these existing playlists.  Even if they eliminated them and split the slots between Core and HC that would be an improvement.  The only question is can they do it.  It was my understanding that the HC playlists are coded out separately from the Core ones and they aren't capable of sharing slots.  I'd like to think that this is wrong but I don't know that it is.

TOLAND

Again this math is spot on. 

This is the formula for determining ratio.

(Set 1+Set 2)/Set 2

dayoldtamales, the way you are calculating doesn't take into account the whole.

Other than that, I agree with you.  I would love to see Headquarters come back.

rlbl

that is not the % of players playing HC.

Example:

number of HC players = 1

number of core players = 4

The ration of HC to Core to players is 1:4 (or the number of Core players outweigh the HC players 4 to 1)

However the % of players playing HC is 20% (1 player out of a total of 5 players). If you say that the % is 25%, one is considering 4 to be the whole. the % formula is SET1/(SET1+SET2)

Ratios do not take account of the whole; % do.

(If you have a group of people totaling 100, 25 of them being African, 75 being Caucasian... the % of Africans in the group is 25% (25/100), and not 33% (25/75). The ratio of Africans to Caucasians is 25:75 (or 1:3) i.e. there are 3 times as many Caucasians as there are Blacks)

ghamorra

I don't think you should consider the Clan gamemodes because it has a part requirement that most cannot consistently meet. As far as the other modes they're new and therefore will not be removed for the duration of this game's life minus Moshpit which will remain as well because it's the only gamemode where it encompasses multiple modes.

nuttin2say

I don't think the specific numbers or percentages matter. The bottom line is that some of these touted game modes are grossly underpopulated. The most notable of those modes is the Heavy Duty mode. Based upon complaints, that lobby should be easily in the thousands, but I don't think I've ever seen it above 1000 on the 360.

There's some sort of weakness at either IW, TA, or ATVI when it comes to statistics. I'm not sure that it is with whoever is tasked with data mining (there was a couple of openings for such a position at IW a couple months ago). To be honest, I'm beginning to think the statistics weakness is closer to the top.

I do know this: someone with a lot of stroke, above IW and TA, is trying to make Call of Duty a game where outcomes are equal. The goal, in my opinion, is to make a game where the range of KDRs is 0.9 to 1.1. I really believe that is the direction COD is headed. That and there is unequivocally a drive to make the game social-centric. In other words, the incentive is to play as part of a social group, aka a party or clan.

Individual talent and skill increasingly has no place in Call of Duty.

Search and Destroy relies heavily upon individual skill ... most evidenced in the fact that the final player has the potential to kill off up to six opposing players to score the win.

Highwayman0226

I particularly enjoy the LOW number on Heavy Duty.  A handful of people cried and moaned incessantly about needing more health, so they made a game mode with more health.  Why are these people still playing core modes instead of Heavy Duty?  Didn't they realize their OPPONENTS would have more health as well?  Did they think it was going to be easier to get kills cause they can take an extra bullet or two?

And all the people that whine about quickscopers?  They should be in the heavy duty playlist too.  Wouldn't you survive a close up sniper shot up close unless it's a headshot?

Moshpits don't seem to ever do well.  I've played them in previous titles, and they are kind of fun for the variety, but few players in the playlist gives you garbage for matchmaking.

dayoldtamales

You posted videos of MW3 and BO2. Congratulations. Ghosts is like neither. The maps aren't small pieces of ****, except for the small piece of **** maps. I have no idea WHYYY people are so obsessed with small maps these days. They are ****ing horrible. Look at the past games. Maps with a good balance of both large and small are clearly the way to go.

ghamorra

dayoldtamales wrote:

You posted videos of MW3 and BO2. Congratulations. Ghosts is like neither. The maps aren't small pieces of ****, except for the small piece of **** maps. I have no idea WHYYY people are so obsessed with small maps these days. They are ****ing horrible. Look at the past games. Maps with a good balance of both large and small are clearly the way to go.

I'm assuming you meant to reply to RLBL who posted spawn killing videos in response to PSN talking about how you couldn't spawn kill in DEMO. Completely missed the point of his reply.

nuttin2say

You know what I think? I think ATVI needs to tell the govt they need some education funding so some of the forum members can be compensated for teaching high school lessons.