24 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2015 3:47 PM by Serfwax RSS

How to maximize your connection + Open Nat types

Zaled

Some of this stuff people will already know or maybe you will know everything posted here already, but for those who are having problems with connection, I hope I can help you in some way. There are various ways to open your nat type and maximize your connections potential online. If you struggle to join lobby's because your connection is on strict, or if you find yourself with an inconsistent connection (sometimes you will kill really quick and other times it's like..WHY DID HE NOT DIE?) than this thread should help you.

Starting with the basics!

Firstly, there are 3 Nat types and I'll explain which one will give you the best connection.

Nat types for setting up a connection

Nat type 1 (Best connection - OPEN )

For this type of connection, your modem is connected directly to the internet.

Nat type 2 (Good connection - Open/Moderate and sometimes/rarely might go strict)

For this type of connection, your modem is connected directly to your router.

Nat type 3 ( Bad connection, STRICT nat type)

You DO NOT want this kind of connection. This connection is a STRICT connection that limits your connectivity online.

Open nat type

This is the Nat type that you should always want to have because it means that your connection is not limited in any way.

Moderate nat type

While this connection is good, it's much more preferred that you have your nat type be open.

Strict nat type

This is the nat type that you do not want because it limits your connection online. You will find it very hard to join a multiplayer game with this kind of connection.

Setting up your connection to maximize your connections performance online

if you are connected online via a router, you may want to consider hooking just your modem so you can get a Nat type 1, connection. The reason for this is because, modems perform much better for a connection than routers. You will find that your connection is very consistent with just your modem hooked up, rather than your previous connection where you had a router setup. For those that have a very good connection, this will benefit you the most and I'll explain why. Most routers have something called, "buffer bloating". The better your connection is, the worst the Buffer bloating is. This is very bad for FPS games. Modems do not have any buffer bloating and this is why you will find that you kill people quickly & consistently, especially if you have a VERY good connection.

How can I setup my connection to get a OPEN nat type?

First, It's important that you know how you connect to the internet. Most people will just select "easy" to setup there connection or they will select "custom' but not choose the settings that are important. If you selected "easy" and also tried "custom" and have a moderate-strict nat type, than you chose the wrong settings, chances are, the reason you chose the wrong settings is because you may have a PPPOE type connection. If you have a PPPOE connection, than let's start there (That's the connection I have setup).

I"m pretty sure all DSL users have a PPPOE connection, so if you have DSL, but you are not getting an OPEN nat type, or you are trying to setup your connection to your modem but you are getting "strict" than follow these instructions.

PPPOE Connection - Wired

1. In the PSN MENU, go to network settings and setup a new connection.
      2. select "custom"
      3. select "Wired"
      4. Operation Mode (Auto detect)
      5. IP address setting (PPPOE)
      6. type in your username and password of your PPPOE connection, if you don't remember it, find your paper/book that came with your internet and it will tell you the user/pass.
      7. DNS (automatic)
      8. MTU (I use automatic-  but you might want to find out the exact MTU setting for your modem/router, if you want to use the exact MTU setting, otherwise just use automatic. I personally never had problems with automatic, so that's what I go with)

9. Proxy (do not use)
      10. UpnP (enabled)
      11. test connection

NOTE: If you can't get the best connection (wired) than you will instead need to select "wireless" and put in your wireless information. It's preferred that you "wire" your connection for a lag-free connection.

You should now 100% have an open nat type. If you are connected via a modem, you will get Nat type 1. If you are connected with a router, you will get nat type 2.

If you do not have a PPPOE connection, find out how you connect to the internet and setup your connection that way.

If you connect to the internet via a router, instead of a modem, and you still need help getting a Open nat type because you do not have a PPPOE connection, than you could try port forwarding your routers connection. You will need to get a static IP to port forward your connection and the full guide to port forwarding is below.

Port forwarding guide for ps3 - This guide is for routers only, modem connections will NOT need to do this.

Port forwarding guide Part 1: Setting up a static IP

All of this port forwarding information is from the portforward website.

FULL GUIDE, SEE LINK.

http://portforward.com/networking/staticip-ps3-playstation-3.htm

Step 1:

Turn on your PS3, and then navigate to the Settings option on the main menu.

Step 2:

Move down this list to Network Settings. Network Settings should be at the very bottom of the list.

Step 3:

After you have selected Network Setting, move to the right and select Settings and Connection Status List in the list that comes up.

Step 4:

Write down the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Router displayed here. You will use same Subnet Mask, and Default Router down below. You will change the last octet of the IP Address and enter it below as well. More on how to do that later. Go ahead and go back to the Netowrk Settings menu.

Step 5:

After you have selected Network Setting, move to the right and select Internet Connection Settings in the list that comes up.

Step 6:

An short message will pop up. Press Ok to move on.

Step 7:

Select Custom for the setup method.

Step 8:

On the next page select Wired or Wireless connection depending upon how your PS3 is connected to your network.

Step 9:

We are going to setup this connection manually so we can forward ports to your PS3. So select Manual Settings.

Step 10:

Auto-Detect the speed and duplex settings.

Step 11:

We are going select Manual Settings on the IP Address Setting page.

Step 12:

Enter the the ip address you want to use for your PS3 into this page. It's important to choose an ip address that not in your router's dhcp range. You can check this by login in to your router and looking at it's dhcp or LAN page. Alternatively you can just pick an ip address that is not close to the ip address we found earlier. For instance if your PS3 was using something like 192.168.0.2, then you would want the new ip address to be something like 192.168.0.200. If your PS3 was using something like 192.168.0.240, then you would want the new ip address to be something like 192.168.0.2. Only the last group of numbers on the ip address should change, and that group of numbers would range from 2 to 254. Please, don't over think this just pick a number and go with it. I have just tried to provide some guidelines here so you can pick a better number.

Enter the Default Gatway and Subnet Mask we wrote down earlier.

You will also have to specify the DNS servers your PS3 will be using. This is usually required when your network's router is not passing the dns server information to the computers that have static ip address properly. First you need to find out what DNS servers your PS3 should be set to. The easiest way to do this is to give your ISP a call. They will probably ask you why you need them. Tell them the truth, your PS3 is requesting them. They should give you two ip addresses, one for the primary dns server and one for the secondary dns server.

Step 13:

Select Automatic for the MTU settings.

Step 14:

You should almost always select Do Not Use on the Proxy Server page. The only time you need to setup proxy server settings is when you connect through a proxy server. If you were doing that, you would have been given specific instructions from your isp on how to setup this section.

Step 15:

Set the UPNP options to Disable. UPNP should be turned off so it doesn't try to use it, instead of your port forwarding configuration.

Step 16:

Your PS3's IP Address should be Confirmed. If it is not then you have made an error in setting up the static ip address for your PS3.

Step 17:

Your PS3 should save your settings. Select the Test Connection option on this page.

Step 18:

All of the tests should pass, except the UPNP test. We previously disabled it. If you have already forwarded ports, you should come back with a NAT Type 2.

Port forwarding guide Part 2: Port forwarding the router

1. Go to http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm and select your router in the list of routers provided.

2. Now select the exact model of the router you have

3. scroll all the way down to "PS3 call of duty Ghost"

4. Follow the ps3 port forward guide you clicked on.

Final note of recommendation

Whatever you do, DO NOT DMZ your router. Some people will try to tell you this is the best way to open your nat type, but by doing this, you are bypassing the firewall and could damage your router. DMZ will indeed open your nat type, but you are at a great security risk, if you decide to go down that route. If you decide to go down that route because you are desperate to get an open nat type, than remember that there is a great security risk involved by doing so.

• Re: How to maximize your connection + Open Nat types
          Zaled

If anyone needs more help, please post below. If I know how to answer your question, I will help you or if someone else knows, i'm sure they will help you.

rlbl

Nice collection guide... good to have it one place - although these things have been posted many times (Maccabi's posts as well as many others including yours truly) some people still ask so it is a good reminder.

A couple of things though:

1 -

"For this type of connection (NAT1), your modem is connected to the internet."

I think you mean: connect your console directly to the modem. Your modem has to be connected to the net (ISP) or your are not online.

2 - You do not put your router in the DMZ, you put a designated IP address in the DMZ.

3 - having an IP (of the console) in the DMZ does not "damage" the router.

4 - Security risks of having something in the DMZ.  Well, it depends what you put in there.  If you put a computer in there, and said computer does not have a software firewall setup and said computer is running something that can accept inbound connections... yep security risk.   (esp if that computer or similar device has been comprised with a trojan or other malicious software as the ports are open). Of course, the same could be said for an infected computer behind a router with uPnP enabled...

However, a gaming console? Not too much of a problem.

The other thing one should realize about the DMZ is that the IP address that you assign to the console is typically a PRIVATE IP (typically by default 192.168.x.x unless one changes the PPRIVATE router IP) which in itself, is not visible to the world.  If you have a static IP from an ISP (a Public IP), then I would never put that in the DMZ.

Again.. for a console... not a real security risk (typically)

Zaled

rlbl wrote:

Nice collection guide... good to have it one place - although these things have been posted many times (Maccabi's posts as well as many others including yours truly) some people still ask so it is a good reminder.

A couple of things though:

1 -

"For this type of connection (NAT1), your modem is connected to the internet."

I think you mean: connect your console directly to the modem. Your modem has to be connected to the net (ISP) or your are not online.

2 - You do not put your router in the DMZ, you put a designated IP address in the DMZ.

3 - having an IP (of the console) in the DMZ does not "damage" the router.

4 - Security risks of having something in the DMZ.  Well, it depends what you put in there.  If you put a computer in there, and said computer does not have a software firewall setup and said computer is running something that can accept inbound connections... yep security risk.   (esp if that computer or similar device has been comprised with a trojan or other malicious software as the ports are open). Of course, the same could be said for an infected computer behind a router with uPnP enabled...

However, a gaming console? Not too much of a problem.

The other thing one should realize about the DMZ is that the IP address that you assign to the console is typically a PRIVATE IP (typically by default 192.168.x.x unless one changes the PPRIVATE router IP) which in itself, is not visible to the world.  If you have a static IP from an ISP (a Public IP), then I would never put that in the DMZ.

Again.. for a console... not a real security risk (typically)

Hi. I didn't realize other people have guides on this stuff, thanks for the heads up.

1. "your modem is connected directly to the internet" and "your modem is connected directly to your console" are both pretty much the samething.

I dunno what to say about the other stuff you posted except that I still feel DMZ is a security risk because you are relying 100% on the machine that your ports are forwarded to, so if there are any vulnerabilities, they will be exposed to the internet.

Thanks for posting tho, maybe some people will find your post about DMZ useful but I still suggest they do alot of researce before using it as a last resort.

rlbl

On point one, no it is not the same thing.

Your modem is ALWAYS connected to the internet.  What is meant as a way to ensure an open NAT is connect the console directly to the modem, without going through a router.

As well, about the DMZ: Because the IP address is a private one you are not directly exposed.

The ISP gives you an extra static IP address Say 99.123.47.213  (this is a public IP) and I assign it to my computer.

Let's say that I buy a router, but totally fail at forwarding incomming/outgoing packets because my router was not setup properly.  So, not knowing otherwise, I  put the secondary IP to my computer in the DMZ (note the 1st IP address is assigned to the modem).

What can happen:

Someone comes along with a port scanner and scans address ranges for open ports. BOOM they find various IPs in my range with open ports (mine has all ports open). Well this is not good, especially if I am running an FTP server with a default anonymous login, or whatever. SECURITY RISK!

Is this an issue with a console? well not so much.  The console is likely going to have a PRIVATE IP address assign by my router. Let's say 192.168.0.2)

Well someone with a port scanner will never find that because it is a private IP (you can also well imagine that every user who never changed their default router IP from 192.168.0.1 is going to have that IP address in their network... If it were a an infected computer, then yes the trojan will send out requests through your router, and the final header out of your network will have your public IP address. When the packets come back, the router says:"Ah, this is destined for the device that requested it from this port (in this case an infected computer), and a "hacker" can gain access.

Note the initiator is the computer.  A console is not going to do that (typically)... security risk? no, not really...

(please excuse the over simplification of my analogies... it is assumed not to be 100% accurate, but one should see the point)

maccabi

you should NEVER set the mtu to automatic, as on nearly every router this will default to 1500 some isps use an mtu below that this can and will cause issues for online gaming. If you are unsure as to what to set your mtu too.. nearly every isp will have a how to set up guide on their support forums /website or just phone them.

rlbl

I think I asked this before, and I cannot remember what we concluded but:

I would think that setting the MTU on your router (assuming you can) and setting the MTU to auto on the console should yield desirable results (assuming of course the MTU is set properly on the router based on what should be done for a given ISP... or to a given destination)

How do I find my optimum MTU setting? AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ | DSLReports, ISP Information

Zaled

maccabi wrote:

you should NEVER set the mtu to automatic, as on nearly every router this will default to 1500 some isps use an mtu below that this can and will cause issues for online gaming. If you are unsure as to what to set your mtu too.. nearly every isp will have a how to set up guide on their support forums /website or just phone them.

MTU is really not that big of an issue at 1500..  even if your router is a bit lower. it's fine as long as you have it around 1460-1500.  If you make it to large however, your packets start to fragment, and if it's to small, than you will send too many unnecessary small packets..so anywhere between 1460-1500 will be fine and won't hurt your gameplay.

If people want the "exact" MTU setting of their router, than they should do what you said...but in all honestly, it's not a big deal.

maccabi

Zaled wrote:

maccabi wrote:

MTU is really not that big of an issue at 1500..  even if your router is a bit lower. it's fine as long as you have it around 1460-1500.  If you make it to large however, your packets start to fragment, too small and you sent too many unnecessary small packets..so anywhere between 1460-1500 will be fine and won't hurt your gameplay.

If people want the "exact" MTU setting of their route, than they should what you said...but in all honestly, it's not a big deal.

nope wrong but whatever feel free to argue , incorrectly setting your mtu can cause major issues for online gaming

rlbl

I posted a link which needs to be approved (should show up sometimes)... but your comment is not quite right.

If you are fragmenting packets, it will have a bad effect on gaming (thinking about what you see like people's movements is simply information sent, decoded and interpreted by your console).

If the packets are being fragmented, in basic terms, they have to be reassembled (or not sent at all). Think about what does to what you see on screen.

As well, different protocols require different MTU sizes (e.g. PPPOE has a max of 1492, and not 1500, because of the extra 8byte header)

edit: it was approved, see above.

Zaled

rlbl wrote:

As well, different protocols require different MTU sizes (e.g. PPPOE has a max of 1492, and not 1500, because of the extra 8byte header)

This is correct.

Zaled

I guess it's best I update my original post to make the MTU setting 1492 for PPPOE connection, since some people feel the exact MTU setting is more beneficial.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I just wanted to help people get a better connection online and if I can improve my guide or if you guys can post links to your own guides, than people can get alot of good info that will help themselves get an optimum connection online.

maccabi

also your explanation of nat types is a little lacking and slightly wrong

the various nat types determines who you can connect too not how good your connection is there is a difference.

nat 1 can connect to anyone

nat 2 can only connect to nat 1 and 2

nat 3 can only connect to type 1

you also didn't cover pat at all (which if you have more than one ps3 connected to a router and the internet will cause issues)

Highwayman0226

Good post.  A lot of us already know this, but I'm sure someone coming to the forums for answers will find this very helpful.  I have a static address DMZ'd, but been thinking about just port forwarding.  With credit card info and passwords on my system, it's just a nagging feeling.  I'm not sure how console files work though, compared to computer files.

Just to clear things up for some folk, this won't eliminate your lag issues.  The type of servers we play on relies greatly on the connections of the other players in the lobby.  As Zaled stated, most just plug in their modems and routers, use the "easy" setting, and never look at it again.  It's still best to have an OPEN NAT though.

Doctorpsylus

Many isps have simply a router

Modems dont exist in the uk except on old systems

all wireless routers now

rlbl

Very basic old post, but it does not cover getting 2 boxes online with open NAT:

Friday's Topic - Can't get online? Strict NAT type? This may help: Back To Basics

Also found this from Foxy

Re: Normal Person's Guide to an Open NAT ver. 2.0 [PS3]

veilofmaya

keep you nat type moderate...plays much better than open

Serfwax

I know this post is months old, but I came across it while Googling a crazy issue with my PS3 dropping its physical connection to my home network, which seems to be related to how the router's FW works (or isn't working) with the NAT tables.  Good writeup by Zaled and great feedback by rlbl.  Some of the technicals in the guide were a bit off, but rlbl addressed them.  Although, I'm not sure why a 2nd global/public IP (the other being assigned to the router) would be configured in a home router's DMZ, except to get around the need to physically recable this DMZ server directly behind the modem.  I guess if you have a modem/router-in-one deal, there's no other way.

ANYHOO...with all the detail put into this guide, I expected to see some more [mutual] technical discussion in these threads.  This input could have been used to improve the guide itself, and perhaps could have helped me with my PS3 network issue.  So why do I even post a comment, then?

As I've been trying to pinpoint this network issue with my PS3, I've read a TON of PS3 and Verizon FiOS forums.  The amount of helpful information I've been able to glean is scarce.  Most of what I've read is written hastily (bad grammar, attitude, lack of research), making it a big waste of my time.  Maybe my comment today is just my way of giving back.  Maybe this rant won't be seen as trolling.  Maybe Zaled will read this and realize he's got a good start and should use all the feedback to improve his guide!

Or, even better, maybe someone will give me some advice on my PS3 network issue.