1 14 15 16 17 18 Previous Next 174 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2014 8:03 AM by darkbagpuss Go to original post RSS
      • 170. Re: How bad is your lag compensation?
        rlbl

PRaNK5STa7 wrote:

Starbuck - You Pre-MW3 example is a Treyarch game (Black Ops), in relation to Slothy he was Infitinity Ward - Different Engines - Different Code - Different Developers. The Lag Comp code Slothy is talking about in MW2 moving into MW3. Just saying...

Just because people did not know what it was or what to call it, does not mean it was not happening.  And when people start to learn about latency etc... It was incorrectly termed Lag Compensation when people got confused between Lag, and the mechanisms for compensating for it.

Here is what WAS happening with IW pre-BO... It did not start with MW3, nor did it start with BO1, See this MW2 video:

And for the record, here is some COD4 shenanigans:

• 171. Re: How bad is your lag compensation?
          fonz5000

The game was unplayable last night for me and 4 other friends.  We even tried splitting up and still every single one of us had our bullets not work and were dying in 1 shot basically..  Best was walking up behind a guy laying prone, putting a shotty to his head, getting 2 hit tags, and then the other guy turning and killing me.  I am glad COD is down 2 million units!!! i hope they take being down $120,000,000 as a sign that they need to fix the game.

• 172. Re: How bad is your lag compensation?
            starbuckfrack

Nice post. I had a hard time finding COD forum links even though I remember reading them.

• 173. Re: How bad is your lag compensation?

starbuckfrack, the link you provided to someone complaining about lag comp in Black Ops 1 only proves everyone else's point! If you look at that thread you linked to, there were barely any replies to it whatsoever. If lag comp really was a big, significant, noticeable problem during the BO1 era, then that thread would have 100+ pages of responses. Instead, it has less than 1 page of responses.

MW3 was when the lag comp was tuned and tweaked in such a way so as to be a truly noticeable problem by many individuals--I'll never forget the day when I was watching professional player StainVille live streaming in pubs, and playing MW3 against a bunch of noobs, and remarking that he felt like he was "playing against the greatest players in the world." And that's when threads started happening where hundreds upon hundreds of pages of threads and comments were created by many people complaining about the same symptoms they were experiencing. If people were already experiencing major lag compensation problems with BO1 or MW2, then where the heck were all the multi-hundred page threads complaining about it? The answer is, they didn't come en masse until MW3.

One more thing: the argument here isn't that developers are intentionally punishing people with better connections. It just happens to work out that way; it's a byproduct of faulty netcode or lag compensation tuning. Ergo, it may not be intentional, but rather a flub or oversight by programmers who may not be the most talented or experienced after most of the talent left to form another company (especially in the extremely complex field of networking). Turn the knobs or tweak settings a certain way too far, and "you may experience more adverse effects than benefits..." in the words of Valve and documentation for the Source Engine. Without programming knowledge and insight into the source code of the COD engine, we may never know just exactly what is wrong with the game that is causing so many people to experience poor gameplay. One thing is for certain, and that is that active player counts are dwindling precipitously, year after year after year. And I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the faulty netcode were one of the major reasons for this massive drop off in active player counts every time a new COD comes out. People like you, or the devs at Activision may continue to ignore the issue, but everyone ultimately pays the price when there is barely anyone left playing the game.

• 174. Re: How bad is your lag compensation?
                rlbl

"starbuckfrack, the link you provided to someone complaining about lag comp in Black Ops 1 only proves everyone else's point! If you look at that thread you linked to, there were barely any replies to it whatsoever. If lag comp really was a big, significant, noticeable problem during the BO1 era, then that thread would have 100+ pages of responses. Instead, it has less than 1 page of responses."

---

Maybe that... or the simple fact that nobody (well most) had any idea what "lag compensation" was at the time, and it did not blow up into the "catch-all" term that it is today (not saying that people now know what it is...)

There were many threads on frame dops, kill cam differences (showing hitmarkers off of the character model), kill cam lies, "wtf! moments" etc etc etc. Just because it was not called "lag comp" at the time, means nothing.

• 175. Re: How bad is your lag compensation?

I have the same problem on occasion. Last night, I emptied an entire AK mag into an enemies back before he turned around and shot me. On the kill-cam, it showed me crouched, not facing the enemy, and NOT shooting. That scenario played out the entire game. This only happens occasionally.

Happening more frequently- I get several rounds into an enemy and he kills me. However, on the kill cam, it shows him shooting me first. I don't get it. Is this a flaw in COD Ghost?

I have chalked that stuff up to the enemy having some super internet speeds, but I can't really say for sure. It is certainly aggravating.

• 176. Re: How bad is your lag compensation?

To answer the OP, I'd rate my gameplay lag in Ghosts as 'better than Blops2' and 'A lot better than MW3'.  But matchmaking is one of the main drivers, I think.

1 14 15 16 17 18 Previous Next