15 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2014 9:55 PM by iivrruummii RSS

How many people are playing multiplayer?

Gaming_Enthusiast

I was thinking about picking up an Xbox One today and I'm wondering how many people on average are playing multiplayer. So, about how many players are there on average?

• Re: How many people are playing multiplayer?
          lewdmouth

Around 40,000. It's a bad game though. I would not get it if I were you. I would go with Forza or BF4 or wait for TitanFall.  You could rent it maybe?

Yea the population in this game is creating more and more latency problems the more people stop playing the game.

kustom shoota

I am surprised that I have to agree with a bunch of people on here about telling someone AGAINST buying a game that I actually enjoy, but hey, they have a point.

The key element that I am surprised about is that the numbers aren't really increasing.  The highest I have ever seen on at once was maybe near 70k, something in the 60s.  But usually, a good night is anywhere between 40k-50k. I'll give an update if I play tonight on the numbers, but with numbers like that you can only assume it will drop to around 20-40 once Titanfall comes out, at least temporarily, and could possibly drop further if Titanfall becomes the Killer App people are hoping it will be.

I am a "play for the highest bidder" myself, I will go wherever the "top competition" goes, so if Titanfall is a 98/100 game, chances are it's population will show it and I would leave just as fast as anyone else.  It just so happens that COD has been the leader in this regard for the last near decade. 

Gaming_Enthusiast

Thanks for the input. I play GHOSTS on the 360 and from the sound of it I think that's where I need to stay with it. I'm hoping Titanfall lives up to the hype. It could be an awesome game and I'm definitely looking forward to playing. Multiplayer is more important to me than campaign, so like you, I'll go wherever the competition is.

kustom shoota

Yep no problem, my group of brothers and friends also had this dilemma, but much closer to the game's Xbox1 release.  We were assuming that the Xbone's COD population would have went up almost daily but it has actually tapered off, almost to the point where it seems to be decreasing.  Could have been tied into the holidays and college vacations ending usually around mid January.  Also, the price range of getting the Xbox1 could equate to people that have *overall* more responsibilities and perhaps life just getting in the way.  No matter, the population is what it is.

It's kind of crazy but this game's life cycle is pretty much a 1/3 of the way already, so despite the relatively cheap upgrade price, if you are comfortable on the 360 then by all means stay there, at least until Titanfall comes out and gets assessed by reviewers, customers etc.  It could also be possible that a bunch of people that get Xbox1s for Titanfall (who could very well be COD players that chose to wait for Titanfall to get Xbox1) could be dissatisfied and just upgrade their COD then.  I'm not a market analyst by any means lol, but waiting is probably the better option.

I'll update this post with the population tonight If I get on.

EDIT:

9:40 PM EST its about 43k... yes that's lower than I would have guessed myself. Lol.

I'm actually enjoying multiplayer now with the dlc maps which are small to medium in size. I feel that the intensity of the games are similar to those in BOPs2.  I gonna be honest and tell you that before the dlc I just played free for all cause I found out that team deathmatch was really not fun b/c of the size of the maps in rotation. However, I am happy now with the maps of the dlc and the new chapter of extinction is really challenging but once you get the hang of it you will have fun and find it easier.

I'm not worried about the amount of people playing. YOu will still find plenty of lobbies and will be able to play just fine. This amount of people playing is not that surprising as the xbox one is a new console out there and of course there are not a lot of people with the console.

Gaming_Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing your experience and offering your viewpoint. I, for the most part, only buy games for the multiplayer experience. So, I need the population to either be high or growing. 40,000 players isn't bad but it seems low to me for a AAA title, even on a new console. I would expect to see double that on a regular basis for this game especially with such a limited selection of games to chose from.

I wouldn't bother numbers are low in the morning its around 6- 10K online in the afternoon its 10 - 20K and in the evening your lucky to get 45K which sounds like its ok but in reality most are playing TDM & DOM. The only reason I still play it on xbox one is for ground war but that only has about 6 maps in rotation so its 5 - 6 games and off to play something else. COD is dead on the xbox one and the new patch has made frame rates drop to sub 40fps which feels like your lagging everywhere all game its terrible.

I have never had a problem with finding a game so that has to say something. The game is a lot of fun if you just want to sit down real quick, kill some people, then go for a run or whatever you do. I'd just buy an Xbox One with COD and BF4 because BF4 is so buggy it's so tough to find a game, but Ghosts has never failed me.

Check out my YouTube channel here. I posted a Ghost game where some interesting stuff happened

Call of Duty Ghosts | Perverted Mouth Breathing - YouTube