18 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2014 4:17 PM by Alexronn RSS

Ask A Question Thread

lt redneck
      I origionally planned on making this thread a single question topic but then i remembered having a thread on other forums where we could ask other nations questions weve always wondered about...so ask your question making sure you say what country the question is directed to, if any...so keep it above the belt, and ask away...

there has been a question i have always wanted to ask forign nations...im from America...as im sure most of you have figured out already...the only sporting event i attend anymore is MMA fights...

when they play the National Anthem we stand up, remove our hats, and some of us place our hands over our hearts...

my questions are:
      what do you do when your National Anthem is played?

and

if you see someone who dont do that same thing...what goes through your mind?

that second question  i can explain...nearly everyone stands up, but some people refuse to remove their hats...my thoughts on that is they might as well spit on the flag...and i get angry with that person...i have seen people hospitalized for not removing their hat for the National Anthem so i know im not the only American that feels that way.

so those are 2 questions ive always wanted to ask english, australian, im curious about all countries
        • Re: Ask A Question Thread
          Salt Your Wound
          I'm from america to start this off. Not to offend you or america, but to tell you the truth some people don't really care about our anthem, and or they have some indifferent religious beliefs. To be honest you just need to learn to accept everyone no matter how different they are compared to you.
            Signal
            I would say this is along the lines of a Political/Religion thread, I just hope this doesn't get into a large debate.

In Canada, we remove our hats, and stand up.
              borat304

sportfan91 wrote:

I would say this is along the lines of a Political/Religion thread, I just hope this doesn't get into a large debate.

In Canada, we remove our hats, and stand up.

Some Hockey Players get emotional and cry when the anthem is played... Not saying its a bad thing just something barry bonds wouldn't do.
                I'm English and personally couldn't care less about our current national anthem (God Save the Queen).  First off, I'm not religious so that covers the initial part of the title.  Secondly, I'm not a big fan of our royalty.  Their purpose is to represent our nation. In my eyes this couldn't be further from reality.  They are in no way anything like the general public and I view them as being a bit snobby.  However, not everyone in the UK feels the same, some are patriotic and some aren't.  Some like our Royals, some don't. 

I don't sing or do anything different when our national anthem is played.  I'm all for national anthems but I think ours isn't fitting or respected for that matter, by everyone who lives here.  I believe it should be changed to something else (possibly 'Jerusalem').

On a side note, in my experience, I've found Americans to be far more patriotic than Britains (apparantly 'Brits' is politically incorrect :S). 

I refer you to the following (just about on-topic) video:[url:316nkk7o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tFyYdIbc9Y[/url:316nkk7o]
                  borat304
                  Should this topic be labeled what do you think about national anthems or will there be more questions?
                    Batesy64
                    I think Americans are too patriotic. Especially with 9/11 (no offence)
                      Shonic
                      I personally don't give a **** about the anthem of America
                      (yes I do live in America)
                      to me it's just a song, nothing more, nothing less.
                        ItWorktLastTime
                        I've been to a few international rugby union tests. It's disrespectful and rude not to stand for each other's anthem if you're physically able; hats, doesn't worry me. I just wish we had a better song for ours, maybe The Saints Know Your Product.

Of course there was that time I went to watch Ireland play England at a local Irish expats pub with an Irish mate of mine and refused to stand for either anthem. Nothing came of it but it did make me think it was a rude thing to do.

However I probably wouldn't stand for my anthem if it was played at Australian only matches or super14 , unless it was an Anzac day thing, but I don't follow or enjoy Aussie Rules anyway. Just seems like it becomes a marketing exercise in a domestic situation.

To me it cheapens days of remembrance if you play the anthem and fly the flag every time someone opens a cake stall. And it feels like an insult to be expected to act like pavlov's dog.
                          ItWorktLastTime
                          One of the funniest things I've seen at a sporting event was the Aus anthem being sung by a Kiwi kid at a netball test, I think, she forgot the words, or didn't know them, and just started singing la,la,la,la along with the tune.

In fact I wish her version was our national anthem. That'd be f***ing awesome .
                            lt redneck

Sowexly wrote:

I'm from america to start this off. Not to offend you or america, but to tell you the truth some people don't really care about our anthem, and or they have some indifferent religious beliefs. To be honest you just need to learn to accept everyone no matter how different they are compared to you.

i would understand this point but there is no relegious references in the national anthem...

religious beliefs of other people are none of my business...they are allowed to believe what they wish to and i believe what i wish to...but the National Anthem of all countries are susposed to show pride in your country, and while i dont say so out loud at the time i do take offense when were honoring the flag and someone "who is not disabled" refuses to even stand up...

i know it might seem way overboard but it just gets to me when i see this.

but borat had a point so i will try to steer this topic away from the anthem's...

what do you guys do for fun? aside from professional sporting events what do you enjoy doing in the spare time "if you have any spare time"

American's "in my area atleast" take up hobbies such as shooting, paintball, skateboarding, and unsponsored cage fighting...
                              iif0xh0undii
                              I play video games for fun haha. I don't really do sports, but when we do Soccer and American Football usually happen.
                                lt redneck

o0FOXHOUND0o wrote:

I play video games for fun haha. I don't really do sports, but when we do Soccer and American Football usually happen.

i havent played football with friends in a while...they just couldnt tackle me...
                                  Besides video games obviously, I play the keyboard (I just taught myself how to play the Battlefield games' theme music :D ).  Sportswise, I play soccer/football with my mates at the local park every now and then.  And in the summer, I occasionaly whip out the old golf clubs and hit the 9-hole.
                                    ItWorktLastTime
                                    I've got a friend who's a neat freak, so for fun I cultivate a vitamin deficiency, go swimming in chlorinated pools just to get that hell dandruff. Then I collect the dandruff, go round to his place for some beers and each time he's out of the room chuck part of a jar full of dandruff over his couch. He freaks out completely.
                                      lt redneck

GCUProblemChild wrote:

I've got a friend who's a neat freak, so for fun I cultivate a vitamin deficiency, go swimming in chlorinated pools just to get that hell dandruff. Then I collect the dandruff, go round to his place for some beers and each time he's out of the room chuck part of a jar full of dandruff over his couch. He freaks out completely.

ok....thats not weird at all....
                                        aBc894543

lt redneck wrote:

GCUProblemChild wrote:

ok....thats not weird at all....

lol

anyways u kinda have to stand.....not sure about the whole hat thing....although it is polite to remove it once u enter a house....somethings all these "g" people dont seem to understand.......although eminem doesnt either.......mebbe its just rappers......

I am from Romania, guys, and man... i love and respect my country's army ! You should do the same with yours