7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2014 7:55 AM by Shin_Ryld RSS

Revelations...(this might shock you)

I keep seeing these forum posts about how the DLC maps should be put into rotation. Now I guess some of you have never played a Call ofDuty  game before, but the way all of the previous games have worked is: when a new map pack comes out it is put into its own playlist, when the next map pack comes out the previous map pack is put into rotation and the new map pack is put into its own playlist. I understand how difficult it must be for some people to not complain about something but that's the way it has always worked. And another thing; everybody is complaint about how Black Ops is better, "we hate ghosts", in reality everybody needs to realize these are two seperate games from two seperate developers. Infinity Ward Call of Duty games are known for maps with a lot of flank routes and overgrown foliage to hide in. They have close quarter interior battles and long sightlines to appeal to the real snipers. On the other hand, Black Ops 2 is known for basic, Counter Strike style maps. They have 3 or 4 major routes and 1 or 2 choke points. They have tight quarters to appeal to the run an gun players and the "quickscopers" Treyarch likes to keep things minimalist. They don't want a lot of plants and grass to get in a players way and they try to keep the action as central as possible. Both developers are separate companies, it seems like nobody realizes this. Infinity ward is trying to do their own thing with their game. Treyarch wants their games to be a reflection of their studio. Both have their own dedicated fan base and style. And don't start blaming Activision either because they are just the bank. All Activision is there for is to hold the copyright on the name, handle final production and finances, and market the game. You can think of Call of Duty games like a pyramid, you have Activision at the top (where the money is) and Infinity ward and Treyarch would be next in line, with the rest ofthe pyramid made up of the smaller companies that help out. The money trickles down from above to finance all of it, but the games from the different develpers are uniquely different. Some people like one style of play and some like another. The reason people complain aboutGhosts is  because they are used to the Black Ops 2 formula. just like when Black Ops 2 came out everybody hated it because they were used to the MW3 formula. If you don't like a game for whatever reason, I can understand that. But don't dislike it for the wrong reasons. If you really think about it both games are great games. They are just incomparable because they are two different games. I apologize for my rant. Thank you for reading this much but I do have a confession to you. While I may enjoy Call of Duty games, I also enjoy the Battlefield series, because as an educated person I enjoy diversity in gaming. I don't want to buy the same cookie cutter cod game every year. I play a lot of games, it doesnt matter that one developer does something different. All games can be enjoyed if the player respects the fact that a developer can be unique. So stop complaining guys, you may not like Ghosts, but I ask; ljust because you don't like it, is it a bad move for games to be different? Or are you ok with paying $60 every year for the same game?"

• Re: Revelations...(this might shock you)

Sorry for any spelling or grammar errors but is 3:30 am as I type this. I'm sure you'll understand.

TL_Bare_B_V2

RumAndMonkeys wrote:

I keep seeing these forum posts about how the DLC maps should be put into rotation. Now I guess some of you have never played a Call ofDuty  game before, but the way all of the previous games have worked is: when a new map pack comes out it is put into its own playlist, when the next map pack comes out the previous map pack is put into rotation and the new map pack is put into its own playlist. I understand how difficult it must be for some people to not complain about something but that's the way it has always worked.

False

EJKHunter

Correction:

True for Infinity Ward Call of Duty titles. They've always been on this cycle, period.

False for Treyarch Call of Duty titles. They're integration of DLC maps varies. Some map packs were in rotation a week or two after they dropped, some were in rotation the same day they dropped.

Like he said later, there are IW fans and Treyarch fans, two very different fanbases. I happened to be a 3Arc fellow. I know the ins and outs of how they handle DLC and such, so that's why I typically don't buy IW CoD map packs until about a month after they drop for us lol

I did purchase the SP for Ghosts, but only because I understood there would be guns and early access to those guns for SP holders this time around, and with the Ripper I was right... it was still a mistake to buy it, as what's the point in early access to maps that won't be on every game mode lobby until the following pack? Yeah... there is none, it's a marketing gimmick Activision uses... and a really bad one for the sake of Infinity Ward fans... unless you do a lot of private games or something...

Dont get me wrong, I'm not a complainer, and dont intend to do so here. Just got to point out that in some threads a while back people were saying how the dlc always went into rotation right away....... I disagreed. We have almost always had to wait. Whether it was a couple days, a week, a month, sometimes it went in rotatiion right away but didnt have a dlc playlist ..... But never, at least since WaW have we had to wait until the next dlc came out.

As far as your escription of tryearch games .... no. Bo2, yes thats how it was. But WaW and bo had a nice variety of map sizes, small to very large, and they were both cluttered with debris, grass, weeds etc.

I agree ..... for someone who liked bo2, ghosts is a shock. But bo2 was not at all typical of treyarch games. I've always said that in bo2, treyarch tried to out IW IW ..... something they arent good at. they are better off just being treyarch.

obzi

It doesn't matter what happened in the past with DLC maps and when they were put onto normal rotation, just because it's been done a certain way doesn't mean it has to continue that way.  Are IW and Activision so stuck in the mud they refuse to change?  Obviously not because there's a lot of things different in this game, some good and some bad.

There's also never been this much good competition around, Titanfall might not be the COD killer that some predict but it will shake things up and hit Ghosts quite hard.  They can't afford to sit back and let things happen as they previously planned, they need to react to what others are doing and to what the fans are asking for.

Just put the bloody maps in the normal rotation, it should have been done weeks ago.

maccabi

RumAndMonkeys wrote:

I keep seeing these forum posts about how the DLC maps should be put into rotation. Now I guess some of you have never played a Call ofDuty  game before, but the way all of the previous games have worked is: when a new map pack comes out it is put into its own playlist, when the next map pack comes out the previous map pack is put into rotation and the new map pack is put into its own playlist.

totally wrong, EVERY previous game, dlc was put into regular rotation.

RumAndMonkeys wrote:

. And don't start blaming Activision either because they are just the bank. All Activision is there for is to hold the copyright on the name, handle final production and finances, and market the game.

False, whilst the studios design their own games, Atvi have a hand in this process, slots dlc being the most obvious example. Atvi do alot more than you stated too.

Shin_Ryld

I got your back brotha.  People are going to complain because they perceive the past in an idealistic or intrinsically flawed way.  Either they can't remember and they read a trolly post and go "oh my god, that's so true" even if it isn't or they don't like something and are like "oh my god, they ruined the series".

Let me just say, if people don't like the game and think almost everything about it is bad and they hate it and random whiney crap, why are they on the forums?  Sounds to me like they have a lot of time on their hands, for which I am envious.

Cheers