27 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2014 2:51 PM by Rngr1 RSS

Skill level of players better at night?

chejose

So i've been playing cod later on at night around 11:00pm or so Sydney time, and ive noticed that the level of skill is much greater, and also more cheats online (got wall bang on ignition from the other side of the map). Most of the guys still have a kd of around .90-2.00 at night, much the same as the peeps on during the day. However the style of gaming is a lot more challenging, I tend to find it hard to get on those long kill streaks.

When I have played during the day i still find players with high kd's however the game play seems much easier.

• Re: Skill level of players better at night?
          barenjager001

You might have "answered" your own comment. You think the players are better later in the evening but you also see more "cheats". Perhaps there is a link there. Just saying, not accusing.

JasonFantastic

Maybe you're just a little sleepy that late at night

nicedrewishfela

I think its not something you can answer, It could be more players are on at night, thus you are more likely to run into good players.

I know when it gets late in my gaming sessions, my eyes start to go and my play declines as well. It could be any number of factors.

stumpsigpi

My observations are similar.  Weeknights are hit or miss, but the best times/ easiest lobbies to play are on Saturday or Sunday mornings.

Increment

After 10 years on Xbox live and in countless game, definitely a difference.

I live in Stockholm, Sweden, most of the time I play in US lobbies since the majority of my friends are from the states.

I play really early or really late.

I can play overseas because I got a Black Hole light bending connection via my fiber-optic cabinet, my Death Star.

Interesting observation, pardon if I’m rude.

Also a significant difference in US and European lobbies, no doubt US got much better players, at least that’s my experience.

Kind of mean but my US clan members and friends sometimes nag me to be the host so they can kick *** in European lobbies and polish up their kd/r.

zingaa

Yeah there's a difference imo. I'm an early morning player and for me the talent pool is stronger between midnight and 6:00 am, less players on-line obviously, but those players seem to be better quality. If I'm able to play in the day time or early evening I lose my mind in two games, junk players.

greyfryer67

Because children go to bed earlier than adults.

DelverMagi

I have found the same thing happens.  There are more people playing, and the quality of their play seems much higher.

It is interesting that I can play 4 or 5 games at lunch and usually do quite well, and then when I play later that evening, and find my death count to be much higher.

It can be very frustrating.  Especially when teams are together and they are running a strategy, against the unit of randoms I happen to be in.  Nothing worse than getting spawn trapped when the rest of your team is just running wild.

SilentGhostTnSg

I've kind of noticed the same thing. But what I really hate is playing during clan wars. I'm in a ranked clan and we participated in a few clan wars but haven't been participating in the past few. I can't stand playing when clan wars is going on because you jump in a game and you're places on a team with a bunch of randoms against a whole clan on the opposing team and wind up getting stomped. I try to tell myself I'm not going to play while clan wars is going on but I always wind up playing.. and most of the time I do horrible... BUT there is the occasion where a team of a bunch of randoms just destroys the opposing team that is nothing but clan members and it feels GREAT lol

YummyYummYum

I think it is also due to another factor. People at later times have also been playing for a few hour's or more, which means their twitch reflexes and coordination are somewhat at their peak. For example, when i start off playing online i do somewhat okay and manage to go about 1.50 K/D in TDM playing slowly. After a few hours or so i usually can do roughly 5.00-15.00 K/D rushing with any weapon, while jumping and spinning my way to victory. So i think that is what is going on primarily. There is also the fact that everyones friends and clan members are getting on at similar times and forming teams.

So when you look at it, there's a few factors that are contributing to the more challenging experience later in the day as you play. That's essentially why i always spend anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour in a private match against veteran bots. So that my reflexes are tightened up before going online. Then after about a couple hours in i am up near my best. Lol you should see me after 8 hours and an energy drink. I will surely make anyone rage with many WTF moments haha.

dowhatican

Lol it has to do with the fact that kids get out of school and are done with homework, then spend the next 3-4 hours practicing the only thing actually important to them. Then there's some adults getting off work, etc.

zingaa

Spring break is starting for a lot of kids, so it will probably be a mess for the next few weeks.

ChronoZombie

I've been saying this for years, but the game is virtually unplayable on Sunday nights.  I don't know who is on or what they are doing, but Sunday nights I get my ass kicked every damn week.  I stopped playing on Sunday night, or we'll do Extinction, but Clan Wars has forced me to play certain sundays lately.

ThePrincessSlayer

11pm Sydney = 7am US Central (Minnesota) time. I assume you are playing in local lobbies so the comparison would be to our nighttime games rather than 7am.

Since you posted this thread I've been unscientifically noting my own experiences. Being self-employed and working with people in China, Europe and New Zealand my "morning" and "night" hours can be opposite most here. Some days I wake up at 11pm central fresh, other days it is normal like today, 6am. Since I start my mornings at different times I can eliminate fatigue at various hours as an absolute factor.

What I am seeing is weekdays after around 7am central either there aren't alot of good players on or there are more average to below average people playing. I'm definitely average to below average so I notice right away when suddenly I am playing "good" compared to many others. Evenings seem to be a crapshoot depending how many 8 year olds and/or groups are in the lobbies. After say 10 or 11pm I think quality of play goes up. I'd guess most that are on this late at night are more dedicated players combined with the kiddies being in bed for school.

I'd have to say sofar that my experience seems to match the OP and others who have posted.

Ungrateful_Dead

Evenings in most areas are when players can get together with their friends and lay down beatings.  If you are playing solo, you probably notice this and if you aren't, you are playing with your friends and know this already.  Evenings are just the time when most people are off work/school and have their free time to play.

Now for the opposite scenario, you have the YouTube commentator's secret weapon:  I have randomly jumped online in the morning before going to work (6-8 AM MST), gotten into lobbies that are horribly weak and posted flawless 25-30+ kill TDM scores right away.  I think you end up playing mostly against kids that are home sick from school.  You have to hit that soft spot after the stoned gamers have passed out and before the unemployed gamers get on.

gzowner1

Ungrateful_Dead wrote:

Evenings in most areas are when players can get together with their friends and lay down beatings.  If you are playing solo, you probably notice this and if you aren't, you are playing with your friends and know this already.  Evenings are just the time when most people are off work/school and have their free time to play.

Now for the opposite scenario, you have the YouTube commentator's secret weapon:  I have randomly jumped online in the morning before going to work (6-8 AM MST), gotten into lobbies that are horribly weak and posted flawless 25-30+ kill TDM scores right away.  I think you end up playing mostly against kids that are home sick from school.  You have to hit that soft spot after the stoned gamers have passed out and before the unemployed gamers get on.

Yep i play after hours as well, between 10pmcst to about 5am and get in lobbys with some of the people i underlined for you. ITs differant after hours than the day. I can get a KEM during the day, than at night because of all the newbies and kiddies that love to just kill whore a objective game.

LQQKATme85

online play is easy in day time because you have 100,000 children thrown into the mix lmao. The game slims down to its nightly crew after midnight est meaning more full groups , clans , and less easy kills running out in the open shooting ( never with a silenced weapon either).       

THe lag increase the later you get because the Ausi and euro trash get host And that's when I turn game off ....

Great topic.

You cant really tell someone not to smoke and zone out because its an unfair advantage.  You can tell them, but it usualluy doesn't do a lot of good.

I don't think that is the issue though.  Its speed.  When I watch the killcam, and the guy shooting me sits there and duh, duh, duh, duh, .....THat wasn't what I was saw.  If fact I was already behind the trash barrel, or a spilt second was dropped.

Its speed, and if they want to make the fair game they will correct it.  If its a bunch of people on a hosting a game, why does my game join up with it?  I would rather wait for a game in the lobby.  Not that that works either.

Each game I counted at least a few wrongful deaths, but when you add up tons of games, your k/d isn't right.

THen you get people talkin trash about you suck, and my take on it is look at your speed and look at the game.

I still think they should have the connection speed listed, so that when the trash does start talking, you can just point at it and go really, cause that aint what I saw.

Way too much time spent on figuring out if the weapons are balanced or not, because that should have been done before it released.

I even look at how many peole it shows online, and count how many players in the playlists and they don't add up.

I have never really understood cheating.  What do you take away from it?  When I was a kid, I didn't even really use the cool cheat codes with mortal combat and contra.  So it doesn't mean that there are a lot of cheaters, you just need to break down what is condsidrered cheating and what isn't.

If you know that you are doing something wrong, then its probably cheating.  Enhacing your speed somehow on a game, .....

DO you really walk away with a victory?  seriously, knowing that you gave yourself an advantage so you could have some fun mowin?  YOu can do that with skill.

THen theres those are good, or decent, but just have a faster speed, and don't lag as much.

The way I look at it is if it aint fare, Im gonna camp out for a second, or slow down and cover my field of fire a bit.  I don't like getting dropped with unfair advantages.