29 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2014 4:14 PM by bendotcom RSS

Silencers on sniper rifles are bad.

When the game first came out, I was using silencers on the USR, Lynx, etc. They were amazing.You could drag scope and most likely get a kill if u hit the upper body. Then a few months ago, there must have been patch i missed, and silencers on sniper rifles got me less than 50% kills on upper body shots. It's ridiculous. I then tried the Lynx, Maverick, and L115, and they all get mostly hit markers. It's not me, because I know when I hit the upper body and when i don't. My brother is a sniper too and he noticed the same thing.

EDIT:

The silencer was good even in TDM (what i play the most) because it limits the players that know your location, with the exception of kill cams and call outs), which is significantly less dangerous than someone seeing you on the mini map and already on the move/ near your location. Taking away the power of stealth severely limits the effectiveness of sniping in the truest sense.. which is stealth long range kills. I agree that range should definitely be affected, but not medium range chest shots. It was a very very very bad nerf.

What's the point of using a silencer if they are this bad?

• Re: Silencers on sniper rifles are bad.
          phxs72

I couldn't tell you what the point of using them would be since I never have liked a silencer on a sniper rifle.  I suppose if you intend to hard scope and want to stay off the radar its ok.  I've never liked them but I do find them on a lot of sniper rifles that I pick up off of the ground.  So apparently there are still quite a few folks out there that do like the silenced sniper even after the patch.  If I'm not mistaken the patch went into effect a good month or two ago.

gypsyfrogking

i got an email a few months ago from call of duty saying congratulations you got 20 longshots in 1 life this was on stonehaven using the vks it was easy to get because i had all my perks like off the grid, incog, etc, then there was an update and all of a sudden it was hit marker after hit marker, i read a post on here then and someone was saying that the snipers were nerfed because people were complaining that they were to powerful, now it seems that the perks that snipers had to keep them off the radar are no good because the only way you can get a one shot kill is by using the chrome barrel or ap rounds, or you gotta get close which defeats the purpose of a sniper rifle, the only other option is use variable zoom and go for headshots.

It's ridiculous, I agree. I got perfectionist achievement on a sniper yesterday.. happened by accident. 3 of those shots were assists, the rest were just hit markers. Ended up with 4 kills and 6 assists by end of game.. lulz!!! It was a horrible nerf. Just like you said, I'm forced to use chrome barrel for a guaranteed kill now.

nicedrewishfela

They work OK for me.

Just don't get cocky after one shot, keep firing until you have confirmed the kill.

No... I shouldn't have to. A chest shot with a sniper round should kill someone. Why not just use a marksman if that's the logic?

nicedrewishfela

Your answer tells us everything.

"I shouldn't have to"

More than likely your aim isn't as on point as you think it is.

That's what I thought. And then I shot someone standing still, in the upper body (not arms) again, and again, and again, and again, and again and got only hit markers. It's pretty much a fact, silencers on snipers were nerfed in some way. I only looked it up because it was a DRASTIC difference prior to the nerf. Unless you're getting head shots all the time, you will notice this. If you don't you're full of it. Every person I bring this up to has noticed it too.. and very obviously. And btw, "I shouldn't have to" means they were shot in a vital spot and should have died, not "I question my accuracy". I wouldn't have posted this if it wasn't a HUGE issue. I simply cannot use silencers on snipers.. Even close range upper body shots don't get kills. Epic mistake on IW

Shadowelite555

Sorry dude, you are kinda late to the party. Yeah, I used to use the Silenced USR, I got tired of hitmarkers so I switched to Chrome-Barrel. No one really uses Silencers on snipers because they just dont produce results.

silenced snipers are meant for headshots only and should have always been that way even in past games. the idea is remain hidden and thus have the time for the headshot and not to try and QS with it or go for the easy chest shot kills with them. so yeah unless you aim for the head in core your going to have this problem, yet it hc no problem at all even silenced.

atiredoldguy

Silencers have weakened sniper rilfles since cod4  at least. I got the perfectionist challenge once in mw2 with a silenced ebr ..... on a single enemy. and without killing him. Really p*ssed me off.

the vks is pretty good though, as is the l115/silenced. I'd say they give me ohks 75% of the time. The vks is nice for that other 25% while the l115 takes too long for that second shot and the enemy usually gets away.

dont use the thermal on the vks though .... maybe the case for the others, the vs is the only one I tried it on.But I cant even get hits with it. Even with the enemy clsoe enough that he doesnt fit in the field of view of the scope, I'll fequently take 3 or 4 good looking chest shots without a hitmarker.

SitRepPro

The OHK hitboxes for using a suppressor with sniper rifles was reduced probably because too many bad kids rely on the mini map for red dots to chase.

NoLifeKing32

The price for using a silencer is the range penalty, it has existed since COD4. When Ghosts launched, there was no range penalty on silenced sniper rifles. It was an oversight that has since been corrected. Its not a problem. If you don't want to have to deal with a range penalty, don't use a silencer.

iHattoriHanzo0

I loved the USR with a silencer. I remember when it happened and had to stop using them. Pretty sure it was the Jan 28th update even though it doesn't specifically say anything about silencers.

At the same time my USR went gold and I started using the L115. That gun was loud as hell but very effective. I adjusted just fine after a little.

Even though silencers become very effective in not attracting the enemies attention, there is also a comfort in how the gun feels when firing. The USR felt like a very effective toy with the silencer.

nuttin2say

SRs in BO2 highlighted what drew posted more than ever. Two of them were awesome in HC, two were awesome in Core. Either way, not all four were awesome in both core and HC.

The riot shield (sans C4) is another example of a primary that has its best place in hc.

Face it folks, not every weapon is ideal for every mode, lobby, or map.

So very true, yet so many believe it should be otherwise. That just because they want to use that weapon it should be good for them no matter the map or game mode or playlist and that really is not the case and never should be.

A players is meant to adapt and change their loadouts to the map, the game mode, the playlist; but so many refuse to do so thinking they should not have too. So get upset when their chosen loadout is not as good as they desire it to be in all situations.

gypsyfrogking

i just finished the chrome barrel challenge to unlock the ghillie suit, its a bit clumsy to start but theres no way your getting a hit marker, once you get the hang of it its 100% lethal, from the start of the challenge til i unlocked the suit i never used another weapon, i suggest doing this because once you start getting better youll cause total havoc on most maps

I did that in the first week I think. The silencer is good in TDM because it limits the players that know your location, with the exception of kill cams, which is significantly less dangerous that someone seeing you on the mini map and already on the move/ near your location. Taking away that power limits the effectiveness of sniping in the truest sense.. which is stealth long range kills.

brsox

I feel like Sniper Rifles should do the same damage with or without a silencer attached. If they are going to nerf the heck out of quickscoping, then at least make stealthy sniping an option. I think it would be appropriate for Ghosts at least.

bendotcom

In what ways are other guns affected by silencers? From my point of view silencers don't seem to have very many draw backs at all, it might take an extra bullet at long range but that is nothing compared having the hit box halved when it can take a good second to set another shot up with a sniper, which in CoD time means someone has time to kill you a good 5-6 times over with any other gun. The snipers are useless in this game, even if the player is consistent the guns still fail a fair amount of the time. . If I had £1 for every time I had a hitmarker on a clear head shot. . . You can thank the guys over defending the AR corner in the nerf AR's thread, who think 0 recoil 2 hit kill full automatic guns with perfect hipfire is fine for all the sniper nerfs

Most of the people who hate snipers, saying Quick Scoping is really easy and snipers need continual nerfs blah blah blah are the guys running round throwing IED's and C4 everywhere . . . if they can't see the irony in that, well, good luck in life to them.

Btw I noticed the silencer nerf when the update notes stated it was a reload time nerf, IW like to do secret patches.