42 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2014 11:35 AM by rankismet RSS

Something about the community I just don't understand...

TH3_G00D_S0LD13R

I have been a gamer since I was old enough to hold a NES controller in my hands. I was born the same year it was, and have grown up owning one console in every generation since, crossing all companies. But there is one thing I realized when I started playing CoD back in MW2. And I'm sure it existed before. But that's just when I noticed it. And it has been rampant since then, in every installment, you'll hear it in nearly every lobby if someone has a mic. A lot of times you'd see it in Blops custom emblems.
      Something about the community I just don't understand...

the blatant homophobia.

I get it, you're mad at someone, and want to call them something to hurt their feelings and make you feel better. But calling someone a ***? Saying the person who killed you is gay? Why?

I want some legitimate discussion in here. I know that's a lot to ask for an internet forum, but this is something I'm very interested in. Why are so many FPS gamers homophobic?

• Re: Something about the community I just don't understand...
          RunAndGun1

I'm from an earlier generation. Every gen has its "punching bag", for lack of a better phrase. Some people just use it as slang, not necessarily in a mean way. Some use it as a derogatory slam, because they have little to no self esteem or are just plain jerks themselves. Or they want to be "cool" like their friends who use the phrase. So, in order to fit in with the "in crowd" they use the slang, thinking they're cool for doing so.

Basically, anyone that attacks another group of people, or type of person, is insecure, immature, arrogant, or stupid. Or all of the above. Take your pick. If someone slams or talks crap during a match, I just mute them. In real life, I just ignore them and walk away without giving them the attention they're actually craving. Whatever the reason, I just stay true to myself. I don't have to prove myself to anyone by spitting out a particular phrase or swear word. No one has to prove themselves here, or anywhere else. Enjoy life, and ignore the fartbags.

HEREIAMNOW

This reminds me of the South Park episode.

Bubbakush

While there are the homophobic and racist players most people nowadays who say something is gay are not homophobic it's just slang. for example someones says that movie was "gay" there not saying the movie is a actual gay movie but that it was bad or not a well made movie I mean even *** mean something else in the EU and the original English definition of gay means happy.

TH3_G00D_S0LD13R

Associating gay with bad is actually homophobia, whether intended as a direct attack toward gays or not.
                  It's like saying "kids call each other *******, but they aren't being racist, it's just a term of endearment towards a friend."
                  No.

Bubbakush

Take it how you want then if you want to think basically the majority of the world is homophobic then go ahead but I bet even you have said something is gay once in your life and not gay as in happy

nobody is entitled to prove what they are  or are not. i use the term  "gay in a  negative way all the time.. doesnt mean im prejudice toward gay people..  alot of gay people use the same slang.

I think the people who are uptight about these things really need to see a therapist.. stop trying to change how others are or want to be.. the example of tolerance is not only accepting you for who you are, but also accepting others for who they are.. whether you like what ever it  is or not.

avengealist

I have to agree with Bubbakush on this one. I'm 22 and grew up with a certain distaste for homosexuals when I was younger because I was brought up in a Christian household, however I never was outwardly harsh to gays but occasionally would bash them when talking with friends. Back then I would use the word gay for just about anything I didn't like in the same way people use the words stupid, retarded etc. I'm not saying it was right to do so, but I was young, naive and didn't care. The use of the word "gay" became a habit  to say the least. I still say it today occasionally when I don't like something, but I am now the furthest thing from being homophobic while not being homosexual. I have gay friends and have no problem with gay people. But like I said, I still let the word gay, roll off my tongue every once in a while.

You still want to call me homophobic?

When you use the word to gay to describe distaste for an object or outcome it doesn't make you homophobic. If you say it to another person though, I believe I would consider that homophobic.

gambit1969

Its not just this community and game, every forum and form of social media is over populated with keyboard warriors and internet tough guys.

They hide behind their monitors and randomly abuse people in a vain effort to enrich their pathetic and useless existence, in reality they would be afraid to say boo to anybody in fear of being punched in the midde of their bitter little faces.

_Guest_

nobody likes homophobia its a sin,its against religion.humans were not born to **** the same gender,they were born to reproduce and its also disgusting

TH3_G00D_S0LD13R

I'm still curious as to why it's so prevalent in this game series' community. It's not just "kids who don't know any better", many people using homophobic language are intentionally trying to say that another player is homosexual. Is there something about the game that brings out this behavior, or is it just a matter of "correlation does not equal causation" ?

atiredoldguy

Why does it bother you? Are you homophobephobic?

Seriously, The way I see it, if you are comfortable with who and what you are it doesnt matter what people call you. If you are whatever ./... then being called that can only be taken as a compliment.

When I was growing up, 90% of the jokes I heard used my race. More than half those jokes, I heard from my mother, whose genes made me what I am.   It taught me not to take mysefl so seriously and to be proud of who and what I am.  I've never heard one single person of my race complain about being the butt of jokes...... interestingly, I dont hear those kind of jokes any more and  I belive its for that reason. People use derogatory words to get a reaction. No reaction, no point.

I agree things get out of hand sometimes, and if I hear that in-game aimed at someone else, I'll usually report them. But it would be better iof people would just tremember the age old exprexxion. "sticks and stones will break my bones ..... blah blah blah ...... but its true.

When you really think about it though, using the term homophobic is pretty hypocritical. Sure people have a right to whatever orientation they chose to be. But they also have a right to find a particular orientation distasteful.   And by the way, I've heard those kind of terms for the last 40 years or more in every venue I can imaging. Its not specific to cod. Perhaps you've just lived a sheltered life.

Thesandman

Oxford English states Gay means happy, I disagree with your assumption that calling something gay is homophobic. Calling a movie gay isn't the same as personally calling another person gay as the movie isn't a human and therefore can't be offended. Too much political correctness around nowadays. Why are there more "offended" people around nowadays, who police forums and chatrooms looking to be offended? Im not in any way meaning you OP. I never have or never will call another person Gay as their gender and orientation is their business, but i sometimes think some Gays go out of their way to offend religious types like baiting them to comment.

brsox

I don't think it has anything to do with homophobia. These words have just worked their way into general slang. Don't take it too personal.

TH3_G00D_S0LD13R

I'm not interested in discussing kids who throw around the word gay so much as the inherent homophobia of people (of all ages) intentionally attacking someone's character by saying they are homosexual. Just curious why such a large percentage of today's COD gamers are like this.

Bubbakush

It seems like you are the only one who feels these people are homophobic. So are you trying to start a discussion on your personal opinion about people who use the word gay in a derogatory way being homophobic or what?

TH3_G00D_S0LD13R

You obviously didn't read the post you replied to, as I explained this isn't about kids who go around going "lol gay" but rather people who purposefully attack other's worth by discussing at length how they must me homosexual.
                                              I'm not here to talk about my personal opinion. I'm asking posters to discuss the possible reasons for so many in this community to be so openly homophobic and attack someone by harassing them about literally having a homosexual relationship with one or more men.
                                              I don't understand why that is perceived as such a completely horrific thing that it is used as an insult ALMOST CONSTANTLY.
                                              I've not only heard it in lobbies, I've seen it posted in these very forums. From "you need your boyfriend to hold your hand" to "is it hard to use your controller while you have one **** up your ass and another in your mouth, f@ggot? Q(_)EER little F@gs like you disgust me." (both are actual quotes, not "my personal opinion" on if COD fans might be homophobic).

Bubbakush

So what you are saying is becuase a few keyboard warriors are homophobic the cod community is homophobic? Like me and others have said it's a word just by using a word in a dorgotiory manner does not make you homophobic. Also depending on the context some of the examples you used would be going out on a limb to be homophobic

TH3_G00D_S0LD13R

I never claimed the entire community is, rather, am asking why people think it may be that such a high occurrence.
                                                      I feel like you don't understand what homophobia is, at this point. And since you seem to be attempting to brush it off as nothing rather than discuss my question at hand, I don't really see any point in continuing a discussion with you. It was a simple question, which you still don't understand.

Bubbakush

I fully understand what homophobia is. what I don't understand is how you come to your conclusion that by saying something or someone gay makes you homophobic which you say does so I therefor can't understand your argument or believe it seeing that basically every guy in the cod community would then be labeled as homophobic. Yes do some people go out of there way using gay or f@g no one disagrees but it's a word if it offends you report and mute them but no where does it make them homophobic so basically I don't think you truly understand what homophobia actually is

KurtK24

It is just a word and nothing more.   

I don't believe in the meaning of any word, cause they are just words.

Just because society says its is?  Do we lead our lives the way other people say we should?  I have never understood why people get so bent out of shape about name-calling or whaTEVER.

Squarefodder

For me the answer is obvious, its anonymity!! People aren't held accountable for their actions on these consoles, therefore they feel they can say anything they want with impunity. Subsequently folks will say whatever they can in order to insult others. There is no limit! I hear homosexual insults/accusations , racial slurs, mother jokes, religious slurs, nothing is off limits because almost nobody is held accountable for their actions. Rarely do victims of these slurs report the offender, and most of the time nothing happens. Whats the worst that COULD happen? A three week ban? A console ban?

Try saying these slurs at the work place, or in public and see what happens!!

I don't think that any "one" particular slur occurs more than another, and Im not being callous here. I don't like any of the slurs, they are hateful and repulsive. There are a lot of people who are hurting out there, they choose to hurt others by cutting them at their knees.

Bottom line; people who display this sort of behavior are cowards! Its best to mute them and enjoy playing COD. Thats the reason you have a xbox/ps its to have fun and enjoy yourself. Don't let others bring you down, don't empower them by wasting your breath.

TH3_G00D_S0LD13R

Don't worry, I'm not brought down, I usually laugh at them, the best way to deal with people like that is just to piss them off while you have your fun. Sometimes I play up a lisp to really piss them offThan

Thank you for your insightful reply. That could be a big part of it, since before COD, I had never played a game that was online, so it was the first time I was able to interact verbally with people anonymously.

Woodbutters

i must say some of my  trash talk includes some bad things

it depends on how much i get frustrated.  some times its just o you suck your a f@ing camper you did real well sitting in a corner to scared to come out you little pu$$y.  some times it gets worse depends on my frustration level

i know its not right and sometimes i think bad of my self after what ive said but sometimes i get caught in the moment

but i do notice there is alot of homosexual comments calling people a f@g and other stuff i just think thats a guy being a guy and calling another man gay makes them feel better about themselves  you know......just like getting in a bar fight people would say the same types of things  its not really meant derogatory towards gays but a guy defending his manhood if you catch what i mean

rankismet

I'll be honest... I despise the label or term homophobic. I know of no one who is afraid of gay people and belies a premise which I reject. But that's the beauty of opinion

The why people use it is simple... when people are angry they will use terms intended to hurt or defame the object of their frustration.

Ask you yourself this... how different is this from a black guy calling someone out to stop acting like a "cracker"?

And gay gamers... do you think they don't have insults for "straight" people? Trust me... they do.

They're insults... over the internet.

I really wouldn't stress over it.

TheDarkOne123

Words only have the power you give them.

Slopat

"A very great part of the mischiefs that vex the world arises from words."

-Edmund Burke

To underestimate the power of words is a grave mistake imho.

Squarefodder

exactly, try underestimating the power of words in a contract or with the law and see how far it gets you.

The words in deceleration of independence where heavily debated. The famous line "life liberty and the pursuit of happiness" was not the original verbiage. Jefferson originally wanted it to be "life liberty and the pursuit of property" he wanted to emulate John Locke (who no doubt wanted any individual to choose their own sexuality as long it didn't infringe on another persons rights). Ultimately they went with "life liberty and the pursuit of happiness because of our dark slavery issue.

Anyways, great quote slopat!!

rankismet

Slopat wrote:

"A very great part of the mischiefs that vex the world arises from words."

-Edmund Burke

To underestimate the power of words is a grave mistake imho.

And the issue generally arise from an inability to put those words into context.

Example: An American hears a Brit say, "I'm gonna smoke a ***."

Doesn't mean he's going to kill a homosexual... it means he's going to smoke a cigarette. And if you don't think some hypersensitive American wouldn't wig out...

... you're cray-cray.

brsox

I was watching this stand up comedian Bill Burr and I think it may lighten the situation for you. Some 4 letter type words are used so don't watch if you are going to get offended.

Rexens_View

Lol.

They aren't homophobic, just using pop culture slang.

If you're re offended maybe you should be utilising that mute all function.

I can confidently say that 99.98% of the people who say "gay" "***" faggit" "buttn1gger" "jewkyke" etc don't mean litterally at all, they are just expressing a distaste for something.

Same as "sick" nowdays means good etc.

If you don't like it I suggest you remove your ears or grow a thicker skin mate.

To overestimate the power of words is also a mistake.